2023 NFL mock drafts

maury77

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Not a fan of 41 and 73.  I'd like a Center.  I would also go another edge (just can't count on Lawson w/his injury history and '23 draft is reportedly deep w/edge rushers again) or safety.

The players available at 41 were not really areas of need, so I wanted to add a big target (which the passing game kinda lacks now). 

a sizable portion of the board will hate my 3rd round pick, but the current play at that position (while decent) is not good enough (for me at least) to consider the position settled for the next decade. I thought Hooker was very good value there and, at worst, would become a decent trade asset. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

The players available at 41 were not really areas of need, so I wanted to add a big target (which the passing game kinda lacks now). 

a sizable portion of the board will hate my 3rd round pick, but the current play at that position (while decent) is not good enough (for me at least) to consider the position settled for the next decade. I thought Hooker was very good value there and, at worst, would become a decent trade asset. 

What’s interesting and will be a shift for JD will be drafting for the future. This team doesn’t really have glaring holes anymore, it’s about creating pipelines around high priced star players.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What’s interesting and will be a shift for JD will be drafting for the future. This team doesn’t really have glaring holes anymore, it’s about creating pipelines around high priced star players.

I was thinking the same thing the other day.  How refreshing it will be to go into a draft with a solid team with no desperate needs.  We can draft guys thinking more about the future so we can let FAs walk and get their big $$$ contracts from someone else.  And maybe we can begin to play the comp pick game.

On the other hand, it may make that second week in March kinda boring as FA plays out.

This is just me looking ahead and a total projection, and its dependent on how the rest of the Jets current season plays out. 

2023 is a draft where a lot of teams will be looking to trade up IMO. It's a strong QB class and everyone knows they are over-drafted for the most part. The 2023 draft has a lot of top end talent and thus some other very very good talent will drop down, talent teams are willing to trade up for in theory. 

The Jets now have a deep roster and a GM proven to be able to pick talent throughout the draft, whatever round. 

Where I'm getting too with this is I want an extra first round pick in 2024. Yes, sounds bizaire with the talent in the 2023 class, but I want a shot at the 2024 class if Zach Wilson is not the answer for us at the most important position in football. Whatever happens for the rest of the season, Wilson will be given another shot for 2023, that's just patently apparent unless he completely sh*ts the bed which is unlikely now given we are a run-first team. 

Basically I want the ammunition to be able to trade up for Quinn Ewers in the '24 draft if the game sample on Wilson just shows he's not up to the level, and lets face it it's been very spotty as a sample of excellence at this stage. 

This is obviously a take that has a long way to play out but long term planning is a hallmark of JD's tenure with the Jets. We have to plan if Zach Wilson isn't the answer for us, much like the Chiefs did with Alex Smith. We now have a very good base of talent, but to be consistent contenders we have to answer the QB position. If Zach isn't the answer, we have to have the ability to pivot elsewhere, and not reach for some retread like, for example, the Colts are currently doing. 

Effectively if the situation is right I want the Jets to trade our first round 2023 pick for a 2024 first round pick + extras, especially if we get to the end of the season and Zach still is showing "promise" and we don't know whether he's "it" or not. 

Basically I want a shot at Ewers given the game sample I've seen from him right now if Wilson does not pan out. 

2 hours ago, PLO said:

This is just me looking ahead and a total projection, and its dependent on how the rest of the Jets current season plays out. 

2023 is a draft where a lot of teams will be looking to trade up IMO. It's a strong QB class and everyone knows they are over-drafted for the most part. The 2023 draft has a lot of top end talent and thus some other very very good talent will drop down, talent teams are willing to trade up for in theory. 

The Jets now have a deep roster and a GM proven to be able to pick talent throughout the draft, whatever round. 

Where I'm getting too with this is I want an extra first round pick in 2024. Yes, sounds bizaire with the talent in the 2023 class, but I want a shot at the 2024 class if Zach Wilson is not the answer for us at the most important position in football. Whatever happens for the rest of the season, Wilson will be given another shot for 2023, that's just patently apparent unless he completely sh*ts the bed which is unlikely now given we are a run-first team. 

Basically I want the ammunition to be able to trade up for Quinn Ewers in the '24 draft if the game sample on Wilson just shows he's not up to the level, and lets face it it's been very spotty as a sample of excellence at this stage. 

This is obviously a take that has a long way to play out but long term planning is a hallmark of JD's tenure with the Jets. We have to plan if Zach Wilson isn't the answer for us, much like the Chiefs did with Alex Smith. We now have a very good base of talent, but to be consistent contenders we have to answer the QB position. If Zach isn't the answer, we have to have the ability to pivot elsewhere, and not reach for some retread like, for example, the Colts are currently doing. 

Effectively if the situation is right I want the Jets to trade our first round 2023 pick for a 2024 first round pick + extras, especially if we get to the end of the season and Zach still is showing "promise" and we don't know whether he's "it" or not. 

Basically I want a shot at Ewers given the game sample I've seen from him right now if Wilson does not pan out. 

The way the Jets look right now, even if Wilson bottoms out I don't think the Jets will be picking high enough to have a shot at Caleb Williams or Ewers in 2024. That's why I went with Hooker in round 3. 

• Upvote 1

I dont see how we would take a TE with Conklin, CJ and Ruckert on the team.

As for QB, unless Zach makes some sort of leap we absolutely need to address the position either in FA but most likely in the draft.  I dont think Hooker lasts to the 3rd round, but we now have a roster where we can and should use a second round pick on a QB.  I do not think we need to address OT so we could take a LB with our first round pick, QB with our 2nd and then center with our 3rd.  Yes, that would depend on us addressing OL to some extent in FA but we cant rely on Zach unless he really shows something soon

• WTF? 1

On 10/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, Barton said:

WR should be a consideration. Even though people dont want to hear it. 

I've said it a million times since this off-season's spending bonanza on WR's.  They now make QB1 money.  Gotta' take one every year with one of your top 3 or 4 picks.

• Upvote 1

I think Hall showed how much having some juice/home run ability can help on offense. Jets haven't been able to attack down the field on the sidelines with any sort of success. Need to try to find an answer this draft IMO. There might be some big X's like Quentin Johnston, I'd be open to the idea of a pure home run guy like Jalin Hyatt but really would prefer a more traditional X - not talking about those guys specifically as prospects because I haven't dug in but just the player types. Defenses just don't respect the Jets on the perimeter and adding that element would help the passing game and the run game.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, derp said:

I think Hall showed how much having some juice/home run ability can help on offense. Jets haven't been able to attack down the field on the sidelines with any sort of success. Need to try to find an answer this draft IMO. There might be some big X's like Quentin Johnston, I'd be open to the idea of a pure home run guy like Jalin Hyatt but really would prefer a more traditional X - not talking about those guys specifically as prospects because I haven't dug in but just the player types. Defenses just don't respect the Jets on the perimeter and adding that element would help the passing game and the run game.

I haven't watched a lot of Hyatt, but I've never seen a receiver consistently run away from Alabama defenders the way he did this year. He looked like a young Randy Moss that game. @Lith Tennesse vs. Georgia is going to be a lot of fun. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I haven't watched a lot of Hyatt, but I've never seen a receiver consistently run away from Alabama defenders the way he did this year. He looked like a young Randy Moss that game. @Lith Tennesse vs. Georgia is going to be a lot of fun. 

It should be fun, but I mean that in an excruciating tortuous kind of way.  Interesting thing about Tennessee Georgia next week is that those two QBs are both older than about a half dozen NFL starters.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

That performance was unreal.

I prefer the big bodied guys, think it fits better with running the ball, so I’m cool with dudes who will win 50/50’s on the perimeter since they just don’t have that guy. But given what’s happened with Mims I don’t know if they’d use someone like that.

And they absolutely need something that’ll loosen defenses up. If it’s just an absolute home run threat I’m cool with it.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I will start digging into all of this in another month.  I have to wait until my season is over to start diving into film lol I'm averaging around 15 hrs a film a week at this point so I havent had the time to even be on here let alone scout WR's for our first round pick.  

When I come back IM COMING BACK WITH A VENGEANCE. lol 

College Basketball Sport GIF by Louisville Cardinals

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I will start digging into all of this in another month.  I have to wait until my season is over to start diving into film lol I'm averaging around 15 hrs a film a week at this point so I havent had the time to even be on here let alone scout WR's for our first round pick.  

Look forward to your takes on the current WR room (and obviously draft stuff haha).

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not a fan of the big Georiga TE at all.  Dude can't catch and is too lumbering if you ask me.

Bowers on the other hand is terrific.

You ive iwth a couple of drops a year with Wasington.  At 6'7", 270 he is a mismatch for LBers and Safeties.  And he blocks like a tackle, with the seeming return of the running game in to the NFL, he will be more valuable than he woudl have been a few years ago.

Bowers size concerns me, but he is such a great playmaker with the ball in his hands, I think he can thrive with a creative playcaller who gets the ball in his hands and lets him make plays.

Really nice having both guys.  It is also really nice being into mid-November, and I still lhave not had any interest in doing a mock draft yet.

• Upvote 3

On 11/9/2022 at 12:36 PM, Chrebetfan80 said:

So you're leaning toward receiver in the first round? 

• Sympathy 1

On 11/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, derp said:

Look forward to your takes on the current WR room (and obviously draft stuff haha).

haha current room>

Wilson is what I thought he would be, a dynamic playmaker.  kids even exceeding expectations I think and anyone saying his release package or route running coming out wasnt up to snuff was just plain wrong.  Said it before the draft he was easily one of the best in the draft. 

I had him as my number 1 early on last year, I wavered on which WR i would take if we grabbed one in he teens, saying i would have liked London, and Williams as I saw them as easier complimentary pieces to the offense adding either a BIG size element, or BIG speed element, but I think everyone knew that Wilson fit seamlessly into the offense.  The worry I had with Wilson was just him and Moore being similar players, and I think thats what we're seeing now, is where do you play Moore to keep him happy since Wilson has taken over his role, and taken over his share of the offense. 

Moore, as dynamic as he is is allowing his frustration in the offense affect his play.  Its a shame, but it a real issue.  I hope they move him to the slot full time, allow Wilson to play outside, and let those two eat.  

Davis is expendable and will be gone after the season.  Let Mims cook.  He's got his head on straight and he's working hard again, gotta see what we have in him.

If mims doesnt work out this year, let him go and let davis go and draft another WR this year. 

Going into the draft i am looking at WR's LBs' and OL. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1839032120_ScreenShot2022-11-14at11_57_16AM.png.76f68a374f6f0d0e99393b8509a25149.png

traded down out of the first getting some extra mid round picks.  My plan going in was to make the selections as they stood but at 23 there just wasnt alot there that got me excited. 

May be a solid yet unspectacular draft.  Gervon Dexter is a strong Nose tackle, may not be an initial fit but if he can figure out his pass rush skills he has the raw tools to be a big time player. 

Overshown is a super rangy athlete, really like his length. 

Rice, just has a little something that I like.  Big kid, tough, keeps his feet on contact like an RB.  SMU guys always end up catching 10k balls over their careers so I like them as solid contributors. 

Carter warren is a local kid, played hs ball in NJ.  Good project player. 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:28 PM, kdels62 said:

On 10/19/2022 at 5:00 PM, Lith said:

I was thinking the same thing the other day.  How refreshing it will be to go into a draft with a solid team with no desperate needs.  We can draft guys thinking more about the future so we can let FAs walk and get their big $$$ contracts from someone else.  And maybe we can begin to play the comp pick game.

On the other hand, it may make that second week in March kinda boring as FA plays out.

I am not so sure that is how things will play out.  Many times when we think there are no needs, needs arise based on contract considerations.  Fair chance that Davis and/or Mosley are cut for contract considerations.   At that point LB and WR become "needs" as far as finding starters.  There are also other things that may pop up - say Quinnen's contract demands are seen as crazy?  They might move him for a good package and then (like with safety going into 2020) a strength becomes a position of need. 

I still think he will look to fill true needs and obvious roster holes with low/mid tier bargain FAs, like he did this year with Reed, Martin and Kwon Alexander.  It looks like the drafting is matching up well with the staff, though WR still seems to be a work in progress.  They have not been able to find guys that happily co-exist in the system, but they seem to be working fairly well.  I don't know how well Douglas does in the later rounds.  Has he had a successful pick past the 4th round?  We thought Bryce Hall was one, but he is a game day inactive.  Echols and Carter II seem like nice selections and even Pinnock despite his nice day being for the Giants. 

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

246239170_ScreenShot2022-11-16at8_22_47AM.thumb.png.9659483ceea6ca084665984dce028e33.pngFuture left tackle? check. Hyatt give the Jets the true deep threat they lack. I'd transition Moore to safety and Smith gives the defense a true, big nose tackle. 246239170_ScreenShot2022-11-16at8_22_47AM.thumb.png.9659483ceea6ca084665984dce028e33.png

I unfortunately have a feeling that this is one of those drafts that looks nice in November because everyone goes at least 15 picks higher in the spring haha. I can just picture Saleh talking about Smith too. “Mazi’s a big man, really athletic. Was a leader at Michigan. We’ve got to develop him in our system a little but we think he’s just such a good athlete at that size he’ll end up fitting what we do but still gives us a different body type to work with up front, and he’ll fit right into that locker room with the kind of person he is.”

• Upvote 2