Crystal Ball - How does the season end?

y2k8

Crystal Ball - How does the season end?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. WIth five regular season games remaining, how does the story of the 2022 NY Jets end?

• Miss the playoffs
    • Lose in the Wild Card round
    • Lose in the Divisional Round
    • Lose the AFC Championship game
    • Lose in Super Bowl LVII
    • A ticker tape parade down the Canyon of Heroes as "Champions of the Football World!"
  2. 2. How do the Jets enter the playoffs

• AFC EAST Champs
    • WILD CARD
    • They don't. SOJ for life!

55 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I highly doubt the 6-5 Chargers win the next 6 in a row and end up 12-5.

This would also mean that the Phins only loss would be @SD, so they would beat SF, Bills, and NE all on the road, and us at home. It could happen, but I'm not seeing it personally. 

Bengals have a hard schedule to play; I was assuming at first that you had them losing to KC, but the rest of KCs schedule is so soft the Cincy game is the one tough team they have left to play. 

Yea, it's unlikely but not as much as you think. 

The Chargers have lost to Seattle, Chiefs twice, SF and Jacksonville. Only one of those teams hasn't been pretty good this season, and Jacksonville just beat previously 7-3 Baltimore. They face Phins and Titans upcoming and those are the only scary teams left on their schedule. The Chargers beating Miami is one of the games that I view as unlikely, because I think Miami is a very good team, even when you take into account they were playing easy teams.

If Miami ends up being legit then the predictions I gave can be likely.

With the Bengals I actually had them losing to the Browns, based on what happened last time the 2 teams met. I don't think that's too far fetched. Beating the Bills and Ravens in consecutive weeks might be though. We'll see I guess. 

So sure, it might be kind of unlikely but it's fairly possible and not the only way the Jets could miss the playoffs at 11-6. It's just one example that took me 5 minutes to put together. 

Speaking of highly unlikely something that isn't too plausible is the Texans making the playoffs, but they haven't been eliminated yet so I guess it can happen

1 minute ago, Coquito said:

The Bengals went to the SB two years ago, so anything can happen. I won't venture a guess.

There are a lot of similar things about Bengals last season to Jets, with exception of the QB. 4 win team the season before, drafted a WR in the first round that became lights out...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

There are a lot of similar things about Bengals last season to Jets, with exception of the QB. 4 win team the season before, drafted a WR in the first round that became lights out...

I hear ya. No other games left on the schedule concern me as much as the Bills and Dolphins. The Jets are going to win at least one game against the other team on our schedule (at the very least) but sweeping either/and is a tough sledding to get to that elusive 10 or 11 wins necessary. 

Let's take care of what's in front of us: The Vikings.

• Upvote 3

I haven't extrapolated it out that far but is their any scenario where the Jets finish the season with 12 wins but lose the Dolphins and Bills game where they wouldn't make the playoffs?

Of course, you'd have to do the same extrapolation with the Bills and Dolphins. Perhaps even the Pats (last place! ha ha) 

16 minutes ago, Coquito said:

I haven't extrapolated it out that far but is their any scenario where the Jets finish the season with 12 wins but lose the Dolphins and Bills game where they wouldn't make the playoffs?

Of course, you'd have to do the same extrapolation with the Bills and Dolphins. Perhaps even the Pats (last place! ha ha) 

The Jets have to win 5 of 6 games to have 12 wins so they couldn't lose to both the Dolphins and Bills and have 12 wins

• Upvote 1

This seasons ending in a AFC East title and a Super Bowl. Mike White signs a 250m fully guaranteed contract shortly after
... and promptly turns back into a pumpkin... Thankfully the Jets still have Zach on a rookie contract.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Hex said:

Speaking of highly unlikely something that isn't too plausible is the Texans making the playoffs, but they haven't been eliminated yet so I guess it can happen

I'd hate to see the permutations on that one! :D 

I'm wondering which of these two scenarios would be better / worse:

1. Finish strong at 11-6 and miss the playoffs
  2. Finish 10-7 / 9-8 and make the playoffs

On the one hand, making the playoffs gets that monkey off our backs, and you never know what might happen etc etc. But ... 11-6 would be a great season whether we make it or not, and would show we are a stronger team that we might think. The goal is to be perennial contenders, rather than a one and done team .. so which would be the better outcome when all is said and done?

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I'd hate to see the permutations on that one! :D 

I'm wondering which of these two scenarios would be better / worse:

1. Finish strong at 11-6 and miss the playoffs
  2. Finish 10-7 / 9-8 and make the playoffs

On the one hand, making the playoffs gets that monkey off our backs, and you never know what might happen etc etc. But ... 11-6 would be a great season whether we make it or not, and would show we are a stronger team that we might think. The goal is to be perennial contenders, rather than a one and done team .. so which would be the better outcome when all is said and done?

It depends. The playoffs have a completely different intensity than the regular season, and so the more chances a team has to play and experience that intensity the better. That said if the Jets go 2-4 in their last 6 games to finish 9-8 it would be a little disappointing even if they do make the playoffs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose WC game with a regular season finish like that.

The Jets don’t feel like a one and done team, though. Their defense is dominant (so far) against every team they’ve gone up against since week 3. The offense has the tools to be dominant, let’s just hope Mike White is the guy, and if not there’s a lot of FA QBs out there. 
If they miss the playoffs barring an 0-6 or 1-5 finish by the Jets I will feel fine about their chances the next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

hate to see the permutations on that one! :D 

It’s actually pretty simple. Texans win out, all other teams in the AFC South lose, if it’s divisional the team with the worse record wins. Texans will finish as a division leader

Speaking of clinching and elimination, of the Vikings beat the Jets I think they will be the first team to clinch a playoffs spot (division at least)

• Upvote 1

It’s actually pretty simple. Texans win out, all other teams in the AFC South lose, if it’s divisional the team with the worse record wins. Texans will finish as a division leader
Speaking of clinching and elimination, of the Vikings beat the Jets I think they will be the first team to clinch a playoffs spot (division at least)
Yep, this had me a little bit worried as we don't want the Vikes having any extra incentive on Sunday.

On the other hand, maybe the extra pressure will affect Cousins and he'll have a stinker. Home crowd, division crown to be had ... boom.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'd like to just sit back and appreciate that almost 50% of our fans now think the Jets will be getting to the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

The Jets... our Jets....the ones lead by the coach many wanted to fire in Week 2.  The team that, because Becton went down again for the season, had our fans rekindling the Fire Joe Douglas thread again.  The team that lost its (arguably) best weapon (Breece Hall) and best OLineman (AVT) for the rest of the year.

The Jets have now done something MUCH more incredible than winning 7 games so far.  They've actually turned a good chunk of our fanbase into hopefuls and optimists!!!

Optimistic Jets fans talking about the Divisional Round of the playoffs????

Serious Biy GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets are 7-4. They will win 3 of their last 6 games and get in with 10 wins. Then they will promptly be knocked out in the first round. 

They should be extremely proud of their season. They should take this as a positive, growing experience. This should leave them hungry and ready for another playoff run next year. 

• 3 weeks later...