For everyone calling for Jimmy G/Rodgers/Carr/other big name vet...

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Why are some discussing Carr like he’s a FA. You’d have to trade for him. Don’t see the Raiders just cutting him. 

Draft Assets + $40M a year for a QBs whose per-game #’s this year have been worse than White’s.  Basically you’re paying for a slightly weaker version of White, potentially, whose only advantage over White is he’s durable.  

Stay far, far away from Carr.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Definitely a Joe Douglas task if they aren’t already ruling White out as an option.  Setting the price based on what he believes the market has in store for him and sticking to it is of course among his biggest strengths.  So I have no doubt he can bring White back at a reasonable price.

I’m just not convinced at this time that they will want him back, and that makes me sad.  

The reality of the situation is that trading Wilson doesn’t make much sense financially until next year, so I would do is prioritize bringing back white, sign another veteran (minshew type), and let those guys both have an honest competition with Wilson for opening day starter 

I’d stay away from Jimmy G because of his lack of durability and I think the other bigger names are unrealistic for various reasons 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I totally disagree. The front office has made clear he needs to earn his keep. There is no guarantee he's the starter next year. His contract and draft status is buying him one last qb competition with Mike white at best...

Missing on a QB that high in the draft is usually the ball in the coffin for the GM and they know it.  It won't likely be that way for JD but his leash will get tightened bc of it.  He will do anything in his power to make the Wilson pick work. Don't underestimate what people are capable of doing if they think their job is potentially on the line.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, CeeJayy said:

Lamar Jackson is a pipe dream but instantly makes the Jets superbowl contenders.

If the Front office is looking to turn into a contender next year, the move to make is Aaron Rodgers, it's another Favre experiment. They have to make a decision or find out what Jordan Love is. They don't seem to be contenders any longer, they could give the keys to Love and send Rodgers to a team where he could still contend.

He turns Garrett Wilson into a 2nd year 1,500 yard WR

I’m not saying it would ever happen, but I play golf with a guy who retired a couple years ago after 20+ years in the Baltimore FO.

Last year I rode in a cart with him at the beginning of the season, and I was complaining about JD and his lousy drafts, and how bad I thought Wilson was.

He laughed and told me not to worry about Douglas. He had learned from the best, and knew what he was doing. He also said he was the guy in the Ravens organization who was pushing hard all offseason that year to draft Lamar. He was JD’s guy.

Again, I doubt Jackson comes here but your post reminded me of that day…. Just food for thought.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The reality of the situation is that trading Wilson doesn’t make much sense financially until next year, so I would do is prioritize bringing back white, sign another veteran (minshew type), and let those guys both have an honest competition with Wilson for opening day starter 

I’d stay away from Jimmy G because of his lack of durability and I think the other bigger names are unrealistic for various reasons 

Exactly what I’d be looking for. 

Ideal world though, JD fleeces someone in a Wilson deal, and we go Minshew + White + midround QB.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m not saying it would ever happen, but I play golf with a guy who retired a couple years ago after 20+ years in the Baltimore FO.

Last year I rode in a cart with him at the beginning of the season, and I was complaining about JD and his lousy drafts, and how bad I thought Wilson was.

He laughed and told me not to worry about Douglas. He had learned from the best, and knew what he was doing. He also said he was the guy in the Ravens organization who was pushing hard all offseason that year to draft Lamar. He was JD’s guy.

Again, I doubt Jackson comes here but your post reminded me of that day…. Just food for thought.

That was Flacco not Lamar. JD was with Philly when Lamar was drafted

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

If you ain’t it, you ain’t it… you can’t keep doing the same thing and expecting something different

Except Cardinals had the #1 overall pick and were given a 2nd rounder for Rosen.  We'll have a middle 1st rounder most likely and ain't nobody trading anything major for Zach.  

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What's the deal with minshew? He always played well when I saw him which wasn't very frequent, but teams don't seem to see him as a starter for some reason?

He hasn't really had a chance to hit the market. He was traded to Philly after the Jags took Lawrence. Came in for 1 start last year against us went 20/25 242 yards and 2 TDs. Perfect passer rating in the first half. Our defense was bad but he did what he was supposed to against us. Hurts has played at an MVP level, so being stuck behind him isn't too bad of a knock either. 

I think he could have a really great payoff that would add a swagger to the offense. It's not a sure thing but JD came from Philly so he should have a good pulse on that situation.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Packers can't afford to trade Rodgers, it's not happening. The dead money is ridiculous,  $98 million

It's a lot but it isn't anywhere near $98 million if they trade him. 

It's more like $40MM. That's a lot of dead cap, but he was going to hit it at $31MM next year anyway. The difference, of course, is that with the $31MM they also still have Rodgers; but then again after that band-aid comes off he'd be off the books for good for '24 and beyond. Plus getting whatever cheap extra draft pick(s) - instead of signing higher-priced veterans - helps offset that further. Really it depends how much they actually love Love. 

It's an academic discussion anyway. The Jets aren't trading for 40 yr old Rodgers anyway.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, peebag said:

Mike White's a JAG.  Let him walk.

4 hours ago, peebag said:

Mike White 2.0

Horribly irresponsible comments about QBs coming from a Jets fan.

Last time we had a QB at JAG level, he threw for 31 TDs.  I’d LOVE a JAG at QB right now.

Also for those complaining about injuries, the last time we had a QB start all 16 games of a season was 2015.  This is nothing new.

1 minute ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Horribly irresponsible comments about QBs coming from a Jets fan.

Last time we had a QB at JAG level, he threw for 31 TDs.  I’d LOVE a JAG at QB right now.

Also for those complaining about injuries, the last time we had a QB start all 16 games of a season was 2015.  This is nothing new.

2015 - lol

6 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Trying to remember who was in a market for a starting QB when he signed with Philly...

Didn’t sign. Was traded. Still on his rookie contract. Philly had thoughts of trading him but after they became a SB favorite, having the best second string QB in the NFL in case Hurts gets injured became a necessity rather than a luxury.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

To all saying they want to bring in a high profile vet. I'm with you. But that means you let white walk. Are you comfortable with this. Let's go through the facts:

1. Zach is not getting traded. Before you say "it's over, you have to move him", I ask you, be honest with yourself. They're all behind zach and said they want him back on the field. Put aside what you want, does that sound like a team ready to trade zach?

2. Zach does not have an insignificant contract. Mike white will command a not so insignificant contract. Big name vet will get a big contract. They are not paying 3 qbs and being forced to carry 3 qbs on the active roster.

So here's the question: would you rather have Mike white or Jimmy G (or other vet of your choice)? I guess I'd go Jimmy g but he also has an injury history. The other option would be let white and zach fight it out in training camp.

Let white walk and sign Danny dimes if he hits FA

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Minshew was benched in 2020 for Mike Glennon...........I'm willing to consider him, and Jacksonville was a $#ow, but sometimes there is a reason a player is no longer a starter.

Minshew got hurt, hid the extent of the injury from the team to stay on the field, then was benched with the injury but trust had been lost.

Lack of transparency isn’t good but for a 6th round pick trying desperately to cling to his job, I do get it. Kind of similar to MW looking for any quack that would sign the form to clear him for last week.

There is no magic bullet to the QB problem, it might not look so bad if the last 2 years of moves on the oline had worked out better.  Going back to Darnold, QB's will get hurt behind the current line.

The front office spent draft capital and money on the oline, but the needle has not moved significantly with the injuries particularly to AVT.

It's unfortunate but Douglas needs to draft oline, continue to build stronger and deeper.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly what I’d be looking for. 

Ideal world though, JD fleeces someone in a Wilson deal, and we go Minshew + White + midround QB.

Do you do a straight swap of BYU for Danny Dimes if it means signing Danny to 2 years at $38M?

Giants would have to tag-and-trade or extend-and trade, of course.

Wouldn’t preclude us from reupping MW but Minshew would likely go elsewhere. That dude will pick the best opportunity to start, I do believe.

10 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

To all saying they want to bring in a high profile vet. I'm with you. But that means you let white walk. Are you comfortable with this. Let's go through the facts:

1. Zach is not getting traded. Before you say "it's over, you have to move him", I ask you, be honest with yourself. They're all behind zach and said they want him back on the field. Put aside what you want, does that sound like a team ready to trade zach?

2. Zach does not have an insignificant contract. Mike white will command a not so insignificant contract. Big name vet will get a big contract. They are not paying 3 qbs and being forced to carry 3 qbs on the active roster.

So here's the question: would you rather have Mike white or Jimmy G (or other vet of your choice)? I guess I'd go Jimmy g but he also has an injury history. The other option would be let white and zach fight it out in training camp.

Resign White, sign Jimmy G, and demote Zach to third string

53 minutes ago, jgb said:

Do you do a straight swap of BYU for Danny Dimes if it means signing Danny to 2 years at $38M?

Giants would have to tag-and-trade or extend-and trade, of course.

Wouldn’t preclude us from reupping MW but Minshew would likely go elsewhere. That dude will pick the best opportunity to start, I do believe.

Jones would be our best qb since, I guess Vinny in 1998.  I don’t think the giants let him sign with us the Maras hate Woody and would rather jump off a bridge than see Jones sign with the jets however 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Jones would be our best qb since, I guess Vinny in 1998.  I don’t think the giants let him sign with us the Maras hate Woody and would rather jump off a bridge than see Jones sign with the jets however 

I agree it it very likely to remain only a hypothetical although we did do a deal for Leo so I guess if the giants think it’s in their best interest they might swallow their pride again 

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

He hasn't really had a chance to hit the market. He was traded to Philly after the Jags took Lawrence. Came in for 1 start last year against us went 20/25 242 yards and 2 TDs. Perfect passer rating in the first half. Our defense was bad but he did what he was supposed to against us. Hurts has played at an MVP level, so being stuck behind him isn't too bad of a knock either. 

I think he could have a really great payoff that would add a swagger to the offense. It's not a sure thing but JD came from Philly so he should have a good pulse on that situation.

I can be sold on Minshew - need to learn more about him but from what I've seen I liked.

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

My guess .. backup role somewhere for 4-6 mill per.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

How many yrs?  

My point to the OP saying his contract “will not be insignificant” is it probably will be insignificant. I don’t see a big demand for Mike White under a multiple yr, big $$ contract. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

There is no magic bullet to the QB problem, it might not look so bad if the last 2 years of moves on the oline had worked out better.  Going back to Darnold, QB's will get hurt behind the current line.

The front office spent draft capital and money on the oline, but the needle has not moved significantly with the injuries particularly to AVT.

It's unfortunate but Douglas needs to draft oline, continue to build stronger and deeper.

Meet the magic bullet 

56AD5FAD-9EF9-4226-9F87-C5594E20EB89.jpeg.b864c936576e7fe0dec8f69feea6eedc.jpeg

• Haha 1