JD is over rated

kevinc855

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

And drafted Becton Wilson mann ashyton Davis Cpt Morgan and signed all stars like perine and Lawson. 

Like I said very mixed results with still no playoffs to show so far in 4 years 

Oh buddy... 

Are you STILL going on about a draft 3 years ago?

At one point, you know, you need to move on. If not, it's simply not healthy.

Draft 1 was bad, Draft 2 was decent, Draft 3 was excellent. IT's like he's getting better over time.

Move on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

JD hasn’t been perfect, no GM is. But he has shown to be a legit GM.

For once in forever, we have a chance at long term stability at the GM spot. Why do some fans want to fight that?

Exactly.

How is the talent level on this team compared to where it was 3 years ago?

How is the cap situation now compared to how it was 3 years ago?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

it is a shame - because 2nd and goal inside the 1 in MN.  In Detroit we're up by 4 with two minutes and they only have 1 TO.

I mean those two games alone were immensely winnable - 

It's not that this team isn't capable of beating teams - they just choked away two in the past three weeks.  

Because as you stated - these opportunities don't always come around.  I don't like the idea of we're ahead of schedule.  This is the NFL teams turn things around in a season.

Good post, and you’re forgetting the game winning punt return at the end of the Patriots game…

7 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

JD hasn’t been perfect, no GM is. But he has shown to be a legit GM.

For once in forever, we have a chance at long term stability at the GM spot. Why do some fans want to fight that?

Because their brains are permanently wired for SOJ behavior.....set to self-destruct at any sign of adversity instead of taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Cousins was a FA signing....

Where's the guarantee Vegas would even move Carr? 

The Brissett/Minshew class of QB is where we might be stuck looking for upgrades and people are gonna have to accept that....

Basically all that does is extend the cycle of suck at this position. I would rather just draft a QB in round 1. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets are historically bad at drafting/picking QB's. Since Namath I can't name one that has been as advertised. Jets need to hire someone who recognizes QB talent. I am not saying fire JD because I think he is a decent GM. Certainly better that what we have had for years, but he needs to get someone on his staff that has had success drafting/selecting QB's.  And don't say Chad Pennington because the Jets missed on the all-time great in that particular draft. Pennington was good but not great and was injury prone.

I was with you until the Pennington / Brady part. :) 

Brady was a 6th round pick. Even NE missed on him 5 times... 

Was Pennington injured in College? I think he started every game. If they start getting injured in the pros, you cannot hold that against college scouting / QB evaluation.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Just pointing out facts. Over half of the Jets 7 wins were against backups. 

How about the fact that the Jets have lost their best OL, ROTY candidate in Breece,  and now All Pro Q? it's funny how Jets fans excuse wins because of playing backups, but don't excuse losses when they're missing their 2 best players on O and their best Defensive player. Can you honestly say the Jets don't win at least 2 of the last 3 games if they had these critical players. Not to mention the fact that they have lost key starters all year long. 

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Good post, and you’re forgetting the game winning punt return at the end of the Patriots game…

I actually purposely left that one out.  As I don't think we were ever in a position to win that game.  The other two should have been won...probably, I would say, 8 out of 10 times - we win those games in those two circumstances I mentioned.

The second Pats game the only way we were winning was with a Punt return of our own.  Honestly, that game was on Zach.  He was lost.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Ah yes, the elite football minds I see!

Let us humble peasants discuss among the rif raf then. 

Wait, are the humble peasants not the rif raf? Where does rif raf fit in with peasants in the greater hierarchy of elite football minds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

It’s a bit of a recency thing, they are (were) winning and the two rookies have been playing lights out.

If the season ends on a sour note, like we only win one more game and Wilson plays bad, his detractors will return in the offseason.

I think he’s a good enough GM though, ZW pick aside.

I’ve become a JD supporter after last offseason… he did a terrific job. Let’s not act like Zach was his only mistake the prior years here though. He made a bunch. In fact his two big trades were all that kept him from being terrible up to the ‘22 draft.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Oh buddy... 

Are you STILL going on about a draft 3 years ago?

At one point, you know, you need to move on. If not, it's simply not healthy.

Draft 1 was bad, Draft 2 was decent, Draft 3 was excellent. IT's like he's getting better over time.

Move on.

Aren’t you one of the guys still blaming mac for everything? But I can’t point out JD terrible picks 

got it 

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

High praise for someone who hasn’t made the playoffs in 4 years while the jets had multiple playoff appearances with parcels, Bradway and Tanenbaum

The temporary fleeting success they experienced was then followed by years of mediocrity. JD in his 3 and 1/2 years tore down a roster that was devoid of talent and is building something that will be consistent playoff caliber team not the sugar high that was experienced by the past GMs you mentioned. Give me JDs plan to build a sustainable winner over other plan of spending on free agents for extremely short term success 

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

And drafted Becton Wilson mann ashyton Davis Cpt Morgan and signed all stars like perine and Lawson. 

Like I said very mixed results with still no playoffs to show so far in 4 years 

well perine was a 4th round pick...but carry on.

ah the no playoffs to show for...So that means you felt McCagnan left the cupboard full of quality NFL players, loved Gase and Darnold.

High praise for someone who hasn’t made the playoffs in 4 years while the jets had multiple playoff appearances with parcels, Bradway and Tanenbaum
Tanny wasn't good..he mortgaged the future and Bradaway ... He just lost steam and got stale quick.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Post of the Week 1

JD is actually the best GM the Jets have ever had. His 2022 draft will go down as the best in franchise history. He's had his misses, but all GMs miss on picks. He's laid out a plan to build the team gradually through the draft and, given the improvement from last year, it looks like he's on the correct course. He uses free agents to fill holes rather than for the expensive splash moves that Maccagnan was known for, and he doesn't trade away draft picks on a whim and  mortgage away the future like Tannenbaum did.

My criticism of him is that I think he gets too attached to "his guys" -- the guys he's scouted, drafted and signed as UDFAs that he thinks are diamonds in the rough. I think this trait has caused him to unnecessarily trade up in the draft at times and to hang onto players who, if he looked at objectively, aren't as valuable as he perceives. For instance, I think the big contacts he gave to JFM and Berrios were mistakes. Why is Ashytn Davis even still on the team and why is Mann still the punter? 

Damn you Douglas.  Not only did I expect you to have us competing for a SB this year, I expected you to have built a roster so strong that we could compete for a SB even WITH 1/3 of our starters dropping like flies.   TRASH!

Seriously, wtf are we talking about here?  This was a progression year going in.  People wanted to see young players develop and improve, and IDEALLY play some meaningful football games at the end of the year.  9-8, 8-9.  I think that was the hope if things went well.  

Things have gone well, for the most part, yet AT BEST this was never going to be a team that could survive critical injuries this year. 

If you want to bury Douglas for the ZW pick that's your right, but this is old news.  We've known Zach has been bad for a while now.  Why is this being brought up now?

Also am I the only one who doesn't blame Mann for that PR touchdown yesterday?  I mean, he's punting from the 1....the priority there is just get the ball away, IMO.  At some point you have to expect your ST to make a play, even if it ends up on our 40 or 30 yard line.  It's the cost of getting stuck at your own 1.  We've seen that cost with the Bills vs Vikings.  We saw it last week when JJ blocked one against the Bills.  

In that spot it's "don't get blocked".  Not saying he's been good, but that sh*t wasn't on him.  

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Tanny wasn't good..he mortgaged the future and Bradaway ... He just lost steam and got stale quick.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tanny was a cap guy he let his coaches and the staff Parcells built take care of most of the player personnel....that's why the team in the 2010s blew up they gave Rex way too much power.

6 minutes ago, undertow said:

I like JD he has won me over the past few drafts but he's made plenty of mistakes and teams like Detriot and Jacksonville look like they are ahead of us on their rebuilds so a genius he isn't and we should hold off on the statue building. 

JAX is ahead of us in that they hit on their QB.  In no way are they a better team though, not sure what you're on about.  Also not sure you can say Detroit is a better team either, regardless of yesterday's result.  On paper they beat our backup QB.  JD's pick, sure, but not our QB1 and most likely not our QB of the future;  missing half our starting OL; missing our best defensive player - the guy responsible for our pass rush, a candidate for DPOY this year(and you saw all the time Goff had).  Hard to say they're ahead when factoring that in.  

Detroit did a great job of building their OL though, I'll give you that.  Douglas has put a lot of focus elsewhere, which has worked out for those positions and made this core pretty balanced overall, but it's clear that more attention needs to be put into the OL.  I'd be surprised if JD doesn't either draft a LT in the 1st or try to make a big splash via FA.   No matter what though, I expect him to walk away with one of these top Centers, whether it's in the 2nd or 3rd.  It's pretty clear that we need to upgrade McGovern's spot, and him being a FA should make that decision much easier. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, undertow said:

I like JD he has won me over the past few drafts but he's made plenty of mistakes and teams like Detriot and Jacksonville look like they are ahead of us on their rebuilds so a genius he isn't and we should hold off on the statue building. 

Detroit and Jacksonville are ahead of the Jets for one reason - they have competent QBs. (The Jaguars are obviously reaping the dividends from outtanking the Jets for the services of Trevor). And they haven't suffered the types of injuries the Jets have this year. If you look at overall rosters, the Jets are ahead of both of those teams.  If the Jets had a decent QB, along with AVT, Breece Hall and a healthy Becton for this whole year, I have no doubt they would be at either the same or a higher level than those teams.

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Damn you Douglas.  Not only did I expect you to have us competing for a SB this year, I expected you to have built a roster so strong that we could compete for a SB even WITH 1/3 of our starters dropping like flies.   TRASH!

Seriously, wtf are we talking about here?  This was a progression year going in.  People wanted to see young players develop and improve, and IDEALLY play some meaningful football games at the end of the year.  9-8, 8-9.  I think that was the hope if things went well.  

Things have gone well, for the most part, yet AT BEST this was never going to be a team that could survive critical injuries this year. 

If you want to bury Douglas for the ZW pick that's your right, but this is old news.  We've known Zach has been bad for a while now.  Why is this being brought up now?

Yes in 5 seasons I expected playoffs once. Wild 

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Detroit and Jacksonville are ahead of the Jets for one reason - they have competent QBs. (The Jaguars are obviously reaping the dividends from outtanking the Jets for the services of Trevor). And they haven't suffered the types of injuries the Jets have this year. If you look at overall rosters, the Jets are ahead of both of those teams.  If the Jets had a decent QB, along with AVT, Breece Hall and a healthy Becton for this whole year, I have no doubt they would be at either the same or a higher level than those teams.

Detriot has a dominant O-line, young skill position players like Swift, Williamson, Brown and a a solid D-line...Jacksonville has Lawrence obviously.  My comment didn't bash JD it was just pointing out that other cellar dwellers have accomplished just as much in the same time....JD stans get so triggered I'm positive they are all also Zach truthers.

Just now, undertow said:

Detriot has a dominant O-line, young skill position players like Swift, Williamson, Brown and a a solid D-line...Jacksonville has Lawrence obviously.  My comment didn't bash JD it was just pointing out that other cellar dwellers have accomplished just as much in the same time....JD stans get so triggered I'm positive they are all also Zach truthers.

Where did I say you were bashing JD? I was just pointing out that if you look under the surface, the Jets are probably ahead of the game compared to those teams except for the QB department, which has been a notable failure on JD's part so far.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Kevy, you ignored my previous ask, so I will ask you this-Who should the Jets have hired instead of Douglas? Granting you the present of hindsight, who was this perfect GM? I will wait.

Instead of asking who the Jets should have hired the real question is does Joe Douglas deserve a second contract? 

He boned the highest draft pick since Keyshawn Johnson. He drafted a punter who sucks. His entire 2020 draft was a wash. He drafted a rb in Rd 2 who while very talented, predictably got hurt. All rbs get hurt that's why they don't go in Rd 2. Avt got hurt which is kinda just bad luck but he drafted a guard in the top 15. 

The Corey Davis, Carl Lawson and laken tomlinson contracts were all garbage. Connor McGovern has been meh. 

Other than sauce and Garrett Wilson, sometimes Moore, it's harder to point out his hits. 

The best player on the team Quinnen is a Mac pick 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

To be clear, I was putting the 2nd Pats game on Zach...He didn't give the team a chance there.

Not yesterday, Zach had the team in a position to win and they couldn't hold on.  ultimately he came up short - he surely deserves some of the blame - but it's def not solely on him.  A lot of blame to go around for yesterday.

I was talking Pats game too. He was brutal but still a choke giving up the punt return. Could’ve been a tie the way the defense was playing at least. Hadn't thought about the problems being the same yesterday though, kind of funny.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Where did I say you were bashing JD? I was just pointing out that if you look under the surface, the Jets are probably ahead of the game compared to those teams except for the QB department, which has been a notable failure on JD's part so far.

My bad replied to the wrong poster.  I think that's probably correct about the Jags not sure that's true when it comes to the Lions they have a ton of young talent....I think Jet fans like to think that they are unique in the fact that they are the only team with a bunch of young talent and that the GM is one of a kind.  JD has hit on a bunch of first and second rounders that's his claim to fame at this point....he's the best GM we have had but that doesn't mean he's the best GM in the league or that we are in a unique position going forward.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Instead of asking who the Jets should have hired the real question is does Joe Douglas deserve a second contract? 

He boned the highest draft pick since Keyshawn Johnson. He drafted a punter who sucks. His entire 2020 draft was a wash. He drafted a rb in Rd 2 who while very talented, predictably got hurt. All rbs get hurt that's why they don't go in Rd 2. Avt got hurt which is kinda just bad luck but he drafted a guard in the top 15. 

The Corey Davis, Carl Lawson and laken tomlinson contracts were all garbage. Connor McGovern has been meh. 

Other than sauce and Garrett Wilson, sometimes Moore, it's harder to point out his hits. 

The best player on the team Quinnen is a Mac pick 

Now is not the time for that answer. He is signed through, I believe 2025. 

Bit, I know for a fact that the Jets on field performance has far exceeded what you predicted pre-season. So there is that.

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I made this point a few times earlier in the year but yesterday this roster was exposed. 

1) Zach Wilson was never the pick at 2

2) Berrios signing was a waste of money 

3) Braden Mann stinks. Cutting morestead was unbelievably stupid.

4) Lawson signing was a waste of money 

5) Oline has never been fixed. Sure you can blame this on injuries I suppose but my God. Becton another JD pick is a bust. 

Sure you can point to some nice draft picks and he’s not necessarily  a “bad” GM but my God stop making this guy out to be something he’s not. Seems like JAG GM to me. 

Dude to games ago you started the 'book it' we beat the vikings.

One week ago you said the lions would score 3 points and we for sure win.

Now you post this thread.

(As an aside this thread is the most accurate, yes he is overrated he does some things as a gm very very well others are a complete fail.)