Zach Wilson benched. Flacco QB2

pointman

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

Something Woody needs to consider is the significant improvement in the team's overall talent level since JD took over. As bad a whiff as the ZW pick is, the team is set up to be formidable for the foreseeable future. That has to count for something.

Agree it’s quite an interesting case. Usually teams that whiff on QBs continue to suck. Ozzie is the one major exception I can think of at the moment.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

JD is going to get a nigh-unprecedented second bite at the QB apple after whiffing on a high first rounder (hat tip @bitonti for posting the stats on GM life expectancies after such whiffs).

He is going all in belt and suspenders for 2023 you can believe that.

And some posters want him to take Will ****ing Levis with that second bite. 

The Office No GIF

One of many Will Levis film reviews:

https://youtu.be/kUCVNnQWf6w

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This definitely feels like game over for Zach. Everything is a mess, from his mechanics to his confidence. There is zero reason to have him be active the rest of the season.

The real debate will be in the off-season. Is he tradable? Do the Jets still think he can be developed? Do the Jets simply want to move on, release him, make a move for a borderline starter/backup like Gardner Menshew?

1. Zach is done

2. no one wants him, he has looked horrible and has an attitude problem 

3. Minshew is nothing special 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Going to submit the edgy hot take/conspiracy theory that there is no plausible positive takeaway from getting deactivated—twice—during a playoff chase. I know, I know, Wilson just needs a “reset,” but the fact that they don’t even want him available in an emergency situation in this upcoming game is—?conspiracy alert?—not great. 

I never understood this reset crap. Bringing him back here next year serves absolutely no purpose other than being a distraction.

When a player gets benched twice the way Zach has the last few weeks, he’s done.  Dead and buried. Nobody is “resetting” this kid.

Even if we traded him, we’re getting nothing back… maybe a 5th, probably a 6th.
Nobody is looking at him as a starter. He’s Josh Rosen, Davis Webb level roster filler from now on. 

• Upvote 1

Don’t be shocked if Zach gets the off season to rehabilitate.  His contract is fully guaranteed. 

cutting him pre June 1 is a 20 million dollar dead money hit and cap charge of 11 million

not saying that’s what I want, just it’s still a little complicated 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

That and saying anything else affects his trade value. In another report it said trading him amounts to the team he’s traded to having him on for 2 years at 9.3M while the Jets only get a dead cap hit of 1.9M. So, maybe JD can work his magic like he did with Darnold and maybe get some picks for Wilson. But, if Saleh didn’t say the kid has a future with the Jets then it would throw all trade leverage out the window. You always have to play things like that close to the vest to maximize what you can get in return.

Trade value…

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Agree it’s quite an interesting case. Usually teams that whiff on QBs continue to suck. Ozzie is the one major exception I can think of at the moment.

The GM who drafted Rosen.  Forget his name, dumped Rosen, dumped his first year HC and lived to hire Kingsbury and draft Murray 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Going to submit the edgy hot take/conspiracy theory that there is no plausible positive takeaway from getting deactivated—twice—during a playoff chase. I know, I know, Wilson just needs a “reset,” but the fact that they don’t even want him available in an emergency situation in this upcoming game is—?conspiracy alert?—not great. 

Where does this conspiracy theory rank next to Mike White is ok, Jets just wanted Zach to play so MW wasn’t cleared?/

lol

11 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Interesting comments from Steve Young just now.  Said he was wrong to say Wilson should continue to play and that Saleh was right to bench him.  Said the Jags game showed him that Zach needs to sit and think about how to restore his game.  

The tape don’t lie. Even Young has accepted that Zach cannot be of any help for the next two games.

it still boggles my mind that this kid can’t hit the side of a barn anymore. It’s like his wires got all crossed up. He might need a psychiatrist more than a QB coach.

Management isn’t thinking about next season’s QB roster when  there’s a viable playoff birth going by some miracle. 

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

Don’t be shocked if Zach gets the off season to rehabilitate.  His contract is fully guaranteed. 

cutting him pre June 1 is a 20 million dollar dead money hit and cap charge of 11 million

not saying that’s what I want, just it’s still a little complicated 

He’s not being cut. Plan is, barring any unforeseen development, is to bring him back to compete for QB2 next year 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I've lost the ability to care anymore, but the fact that he was deemed ready to start if White couldn't play but can't even be active if White can play is bizarre and reeks of Woody.

I think it’s more a case of they were aghast at what they saw from him last Thursday. 
(this take might be completely unfounded. I just wanted to be the first person on JN to use the word aghast in a post)

• Haha 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I think it’s more a case of they were aghast at what they saw from him last Thursday. 
(this take might be completely unfounded. I just wanted to be the first person on JN to use the word aghast in a post)

My participation in Jets dialogue has been relegated to misery and surrender for the last 4 days but I'm fairly certain there was a report after Thursday that they were ready to throw Wilson out there again this week if White was not cleared.

• Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Jets hall of shame.

Lol. These saleh quotes could literally mean anything. Don’t listen to anything he says. Pay attention to what he does.

Today, MW was named starter ROS. This was after ZW was benched for a MAACTION QB — FOURTH STRING! — in a must-win December game. It’s over. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My participation in Jets dialogue has been relegated to misery and surrender for the last 4 days but I'm fairly certain there was a report after Thursday that they were ready to throw Wilson out there again this week if White was not cleared.

I think you’re right about that… I hate to admit it, but I would’ve been okay with it at this point.  Might as well have gone for the kill shot at that point.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Can we just say Zach is so bad, we rather play Berrios? 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

He survived because the team was strong everywhere else. JD learned from him, and is in a similar situation right now. 

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I've lost the ability to care anymore, but the fact that he was deemed ready to start if White couldn't play but can't even be active if White can play is bizarre and reeks of Woody.

It makes no sense. Even more bizarre is why Joe Flacco wasn't replaced 5 weeks ago when it's clear they have no intention of ever playing him again. 

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's schizophrenic.