OT - For the older crew on the board

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

For instance other day my kid calls me and says I tripped and fell opening the door and ripped it out of the hinges. This is a heavy duty door fir the garage. I know it's gotta be bullsh*t. Who knows what really happened...lol

Yeah plenty of excuses I gave when I was a kid are in hindsight totally not credible. Now being a parent I realize my parents didn’t buy it — they were just relieved that I was OK and let some stuff go without an interrogation.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

That Mobile gas station was well known to all the kids. It had a candy machine inside.  How did you almost drown at Fairview? There were so many lifeguards  there

My mother was visiting one of her friends there and tagged me along with a bathing suit to keep me busy.  All I remember was a crowded pool and getting stepped on and swallowing pool water in a panic while trying to get up.  Lifeguard helped me to throw up afterwards.  

23 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That's Canada as far as I am concerned. You could never have handled the streets of Brentwood NY. :)

Hey, we were neighbors.  Grew up in Deer Park.  Class of 73.  All this resonates with me.  We had 10+ kids my age in a 3 block radius.  Always had enough guys for whatever.  Football, basketball, handball, baseball.  Go home when it got dark.  Always in trouble for being home late.  Fun times

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, the Claw said:

I was born in 79 so technically I’m on a “cusp” between X and Millenial. Honestly I’ve always felt that “generations” themselves are a ridiculous notion, but I suppose it’s just humanity’s way of organizing things. We do love our little ticky tacky boxes. 

I kind of think that our age range has had it the easiest in many ways. We missed the Draft, were introduced to computers early enough to incorporate them into our lives with ease, but late enough that our childhood didn’t involve the pains of social media. sh*t started to hit the fan for us in the 2000’s when we could fully look at what we were left and the impacts of the previous 20-30 years of decision making. It seems unlikely that we will see Social Security even though we’ve been supporting those on it for decades. The check always come at the end of a meal  and sometimes I feel like everyone else at the table went to the “restroom” for a sec. 

Nate Bargatze, one of my favorite comedians, does a solid bit on this.  He was born in '79 too:

• Upvote 1

Being born in '86 was interesting as well.  I didn't have a cell phone until my junior or senior year in HS and only really used it for "emergency" situations so I didn't have to use a payphone. 

I was a freshman in college when social media became a thing, and I remember a classmate getting excited because "the Facebook" was coming my school, UNCW in North Carolina.  

It was a weird transition and I'm thankful I wasn't born into that.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Being born in '86 was interesting as well.  I didn't have a cell phone until my junior or senior year in HS and only really used it for "emergency" situations so I didn't have to use a payphone. 

I was a freshman in college when social media became a thing, and I remember a classmate getting excited because "the Facebook" was coming my school, UNCW in North Carolina.  

Also an '86er. Got my first cell when I went to undergrad. Facebook was just becoming a thing my freshman year. I didn't join till my Senior year, and even then it was mostly as a means to "talk" to girls by writing on their walls and having them write on mine. Joined Instagram in 2017 and still don't have/want twitter or tik tok or kik or whatever else. You're right that it was a very weird transition for folks our age, and just as difficult a transition to basically be a parent to the kiddos that are born into all of this now, because we're again asked to be the guinea pigs in raising technologically literate children who have the whole world at their fingertips at an early age but can't be bothered to go outside. 

Getting back to a discussion from a few pages ago, we have a 2 year old daughter and 3 year old son. My wife comments from time to time that we're raising them wrong because everyone we know and most of what she sees on social media are doing it the new way. I get why she wants to do it the new way: it's easier on the parents. And it's not necessarily because they're lazy - it's because finances and mental health are big issues that a lot of our generation need to deal with. So everyone is prioritizing themselves and doing their best and cutting themselves some slack as parents. However, my wife and I are happy/willing/fortunate enough to be able to do it differently. We do get annoyed sometimes because It's absolutely draining as parents to be 100% focused on kids outside of our full time jobs. But we feel that not doing it our way puts an unreal amount of stress on growing minds and emotions to figure everything out for themselves. Public data is still inconclusive as it's relatively new (I think someone quoted 6-7 years), but even at their young ages we're starting to see differences between our kids and other children in relation to how they are with their parents, strangers, dealing with adverse situations, and basic focus/understanding.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thank god social media didn’t exist when I was in college. In those days if you did something completely idiotic, your friends, acquaintances, and if it was really bad maybe your neighborhood knew about it. I’d be unemployable today if I had a Facebook account when I was 20.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Thank god social media didn’t exist when I was in college. In those days if you did something completely idiotic, your friends, acquaintances, and if it was really bad maybe your neighborhood knew about it. I’d be unemployable today if I had a Facebook account when I was 20.

Early days of Facebook were very fun though.  This prank was evidence of that:

During the 2005-06 season, UNCW Basketball had a 25-win season and ended up a 9-seed in the NCAA Tournament.  During that season, a group of students (one of which I'm good friends with to this day, but didn't know at the time) created a convincing fake facebook account of an attractive female student (the girl was a UNCW student who gave permission to use her likeness)....named Amber Bryant.   

Prior to each home game, they would reach out to a few players from the opposing school that was coming in for a visit.  And they'd do so pretending to be Amber, and make it clear to the players that on the trip, they'd get laid.  

At halftime, those same students would proceed to remove the school shirts that they were wearing, revealing all white shirts with the words "I AM AMBER BRYANT".  They'd then catch the players' attention and berate them the rest of the game.  The players would either look pissed or would be laughing about it and either way it was entertaining.  This would happen at every subsequent home game, and since Twitter wasn't a thing, it wasn't easy for word to spread about this prank over the course of the season.

Home games at our gym were always packed and super rowdy so this only added to the environment.  "Catfishing" had not yet really entered the lexicon but this may have been one of the early instances of social media catfishing, and certainly one of the more creative uses of it, lol.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Early days of Facebook were very fun though.  This prank was evidence of that:

During the 2005-06 season, UNCW Basketball had a 25-win season and ended up a 9-seed in the NCAA Tournament.  During that season, a group of students (one of which I'm good friends with to this day, but didn't know at the time) created a convincing fake facebook account of an attractive female student (the girl was a UNCW student who gave permission to use her likeness)....named Amber Bryant.   

Prior to each home game, they would reach out to a few players from the opposing school that was coming in for a visit.  And they'd do so pretending to be Amber, and make it clear to the players that on the trip, they'd get laid.  

At halftime, those same students would proceed to remove the school shirts that they were wearing, revealing all white shirts with the words "I AM AMBER BRYANT".  They'd then catch the players' attention and berate them the rest of the game.  The players would either look pissed or would be laughing about it and either way it was entertaining.  This would happen at every subsequent home game, and since Twitter wasn't a thing, it wasn't easy for word to spread about this prank over the course of the season.

Home games at our gym were always packed and super rowdy so this only added to the environment.  "Catfishing" had not yet really entered the lexicon but this may have been one of the early instances of social media catfishing, and certainly one of the more creative uses of it, lol.

Today, this is criminal cyber harassment.

Cbs Dickwolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jgb said:

I concur, best to let the tree fall silently in the forest.

• Upvote 2