OT - For the older crew on the board

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Or getting your bell rung in Pop Warner football and they gave you smelling salts, raise a finger or two, change it to the number you yelled out and put you back in! haha

My coach recommended eating chocolate bars before games for the sugar rush!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

My dad served in Germany and France. Part of the 91st infantry I believe.

I am guessing your dad never spoke about the war - ever. My father would never bring it up and even when we would ask him why a large chunk of his upper arm was missing or same in his leg, he would never go into the details.

I hear this often from guys who's dads served in wars. 

Strangely enough the only time he discussed it was when he was dying of cancer.

The only thing my dad told me when I was drafted was one bit of advice..."Remember, you're going to serve with guys from all walks of life...not the kind you're use to."  And that was it...like you mentioned, nothing about his war.  As a matter of fact, I had nine uncles serve in WW II and I never once heard any of them converse with each other about the war...it was unheard of.  My generation of Nam vets have talked the most...good and bad things from that.  I don't talk about it unless I'm at a reunion.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Or getting your bell rung in Pop Warner football and they gave you smelling salts, raise a finger or two, change it to the number you yelled out and put you back in! haha

I use that as an explanation now for the times when I can't remember sh*t or mess something up lol.  Our "trainer" in HS was an old boxing cornnerman. You can imagine how that went.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I of course raised my kids at the cusp of this. 21,23,25,27 and 32. My boys didn't crave the TV time until Halo "Combat Evolved" came out. When the I phone thing that wasn't an actual phone came out it got worse, Till then 90-120 minutes of RugRats, Power Rangers, Wild Thornberries, and Rocket power was enough. Truth is with five of them it was a lot easier to put them outside in my fenced yard with my dogs have them at least pick on one another if not play together a bit. Between My wife and I are very thankful we had our kids then instead of now. For real!

It's really the last 6-7 years where it's taken off to a whole new level. You've got parents now that legit think it's a good idea for their 10-year-old to have a phone and even a social media account, or even worse be on group chats with tons of classmates outside of school. I get that this current generation didn't invent overbearing soccer moms and I definitely agree that you have to let kids figure some sh*t out for themselves, but it's just not as simple as it used to be. If you raised a kid in the 80s and 90s the worst you had to worry about was that the blood from Mortal Kombat might be too graphic for them or that they might encounter one of those To Catch a Predator guys on Compuserve, which sad to say is not even in the same world of risk as what's out there now.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s a different world too. I stole caps when I was like 5, my mom discovered it and took me back to the store to pay for them and she made me apologize. The store manager played along and gave me a firm lecture. Today that would cause a sh*t show at the store. I rode my bike a good mile round trip to Cumberland farms when I was 7, if I let my son do that he’s coming home in a cruiser and I’m explaining myself and probably facing charges. 
Parents have to be really internet savvy to control what the young ones see and have access to. I grew up with 4 channels, then omg like 24. Streaming apps give them access to everything all the time.  I could go on and on 

your original point is absolutely correct, being raised in a harsh environment lead to cool parents and best friend parenting and helicopter parenting. 

Children naturally push back and rebel against their parents it’s part of growing up. So if you want chill kids, be a hard ass! 

Isn’t it interesting that when adults talk about their parents no one brags about how their parents were so lenient and let them do whatever they wanted? Whenever you see bragging it’s about how their parents held them to a standard and there were consequences — often severe — if that standard was not met.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Children naturally push back and rebel against their parents it’s part of growing up. So if you want chill kids, be a hard as ? 

No no. The nostalgic days of abusive parenting, that's where it's at. 

The funniest part about this sh*t is that the guys that think it's totally fine for children to be afraid of their parents are generally the biggest jerks you've ever met.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No no. The nostalgic days of abusive parenting, that's where it's at. 

The funniest part about this sh*t is that the guys that think it's totally fine for children to be afraid of their parents are generally the biggest jerks you've ever met.

I was teasing but strict is not a bad thing. I wouldn’t call that abuse.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

The only thing my dad told me when I was drafted was one bit of advice..."Remember, you're going to serve with guys from all walks of life...not the kind you're use to."  And that was it...like you mentioned, nothing about his war.  As a matter of fact, I had nine uncles serve in WW II and I never once heard any of them converse with each other about the war...it was unheard of.  My generation of Nam vets have talked the most...good and bad things from that.  I don't talk about it unless I'm at a reunion.

My upmost respect to you and all of the vets that served in wars especially Nam as I grew up seeing those scenes on the local news wondering if I was going to get drafted when I got a bit older. I was lucky and it ended prior to my turning 18 although I still did have to register for the draft.

I can only imagine what you endured based on the images we saw on tv.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's really the last 6-7 years where it's taken off to a whole new level. You've got parents now that legit think it's a good idea for their 10-year-old to have a phone and even a social media account, or even worse be on group chats with tons of classmates outside of school. I get that this current generation didn't invent overbearing soccer moms and I definitely agree that you have to let kids figure some sh*t out for themselves, but it's just not as simple as it used to be. If you raised a kid in the 80s and 90s the worst you had to worry about was that the blood from Mortal Kombat might be too graphic for them or that they might encounter one of those To Catch a Predator guys on Compuserve, which sad to say is not even in the same world of risk as what's out there now.

Honestly brother, I respect all of you that are doing it now and I'm glad I'm not. it was simpler back then. With my 3 daughters the biggest fear I had is how to protect them when I wasn't there. It was honestly terrifying. We had them in dance classes together until the fateful night my wife called family movie nights selection Mulan. Girls were like 3, 5, 10 at the time. As I watch that movie I thought to myself, "Woah, if my daughters are more dangerous than the people they meet they could be safe!" That week pulled them out of dance and enrolled all 5 in martial arts. It was also nice because they could all do the same activity in the same place. All started in TKD but move on to Mau Tai, BBJ and Krav. My boys I didn't worry about the same,, I did try to talk my wife into getting them vasectomies as 5th grade graduation presents but she wasn't down. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Trotter said:

My upmost respect to you and all of the vets that served in wars especially Nam as I grew up seeing those scenes on the local news wondering if I was going to get drafted when I got a bit older. I was lucky and it ended prior to my turning 18 although I still did have to register for the draft.

I can only imagine what you endured based on the images we saw on tv.

Same here being born in 63, the active draft was over by time I was old enough but recall many of my older cousins and friends brothers nervously awaiting the draft results. Tons of respect to those that served and saddened by the many lives that were forever impacted by those who especially went to Nam. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly brother, I respect all of you that are doing it now and I'm glad I'm not. it was simpler back then. With my 3 daughters the biggest fear I had is how to protect them when I wasn't there. It was honestly terrifying. We had them in dance classes together until the fateful night my wife called family movie nights selection Mulan. Girls were like 3, 5, 10 at the time. As I watch that movie I thought to myself, "Woah, if my daughters are more dangerous than the people they meet they could be safe!" That week pulled them out of dance and enrolled all 5 in martial arts. It was also nice because they could all do the same activity in the same place. All started in TKD but move on to Mau Tai, BBJ and Krav. My boys I didn't worry about the same,, I did try to talk my wife into getting them vasectomies as 5th grade graduation presents but she wasn't down. 

Girls in BJJ is the move. They're actually better than the boys. Trying to coach little dudes is the absolute ******* woooooooorst.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Girls in BJJ is the move. They're actually better than the boys. Trying to coach little dudes is the absolute ******* woooooooorst.

By far, in guard dude thinks he’s winning just before “ her comes the night” both my boys were ok. The big one was a much better wrestler and the younger one could knock a grown man down with a leg kick when he was 13. Haha, My oldest daughter actually went on to fight BJJ and even taught for a few years before my grandson was born.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

I lived in a small apartment on the 6th floor.  PS 220 and its huge asphalt playground were about 100 yards from the building.  Just like the Italian Spaghetti sauce commercial, I often got summoned home by my mother sticking her head out the 6tth floor window and shouting my name at the top of her lungs.  And... this was not so uncommon.  Might have been my first public humiliation... not sure.

Substitute PS 220 for PS 214 and it was the exact same scenario.  I was pretty 'free range', split my lip playing tackle football without pads, two broken bones, but a sense of autonomy and learned good decision making the hard way - by making mistakes as a kid.  I have a nine year old and I so worry about his development given how structured his experiences are.  We do our best as parents but I view my childhood experiences as super important to the person I've become.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Isn’t it interesting that when adults talk about their parents no one brags about how their parents were so lenient and let them do whatever they wanted? Whenever you see bragging it’s about how their parents held them to a standard and there were consequences — often severe — if that standard was not met.

As for me this was a non issue. Accountability is not a bad thing. Severity though can be questioned and open to interpretation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Went there once and if i remember correctly is that the place that had a pretty high rock wall that you would jump off of? No real safety fence ot anything and extremely easy to slip and fall.

Took my kids there when they were younger and felt relieved to get out without any damage.

We always called it Class Action Park, but the kids in Jersey called it Traction Park.  I think you mean the cliff dive.  First they stopped letting you dive.  Then they closed the higher one.  Last time I went they called it Mountain Creek, and it was close to empty and kind of rainy.  My cousin and I were the only two at the cliff jump.  He was huffing and puffing and stretching and a small crowd started watching.  They thought he was scared, but he was getting ready to jump up so he could get as close to the higher jump as possible. 

We went up the super high wedge-y maker water slide.  A little kid followed us that was so short that on his tippy toes the top of his little mohawk barely the scraped the "you must be this tall" sign.  The teenager running the ride said "Go for it!"  Turned to us and said "That kid has the balls to climb these stairs and I'm going to make him walk down?  **** that"

5 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Oh...I got a good one.

Does anyone remember WHT?

It was like over the air HBO...not sure how you got it cause we never had it, but I remember it showed "dirty" movies at night.

The thing is, you could still tune to the channel (I think it was up in the 60s like channel 68 or 69) and get a scrambled version of the signal.  If you adjusted the antenna just right it would be unscrambled just enough that you could make out the boobs.

Long story short....I was a perv at a young age.

Yea WHT was that box on top of your tv. It was just before cable came out. I think it was one or two channels. I remember the Colecovision games next to it. Sea battle baby

• Upvote 1