Mike White's salary forecast

Bronx

White can be a premium priced backup to a QB on a rookie contract.

If the Jets were able to get a Jimmy G or Jacoby Brisset on the cheap, maybe you layer in Mike White with Streveler at QB4/PS.   Hopefully two of the four are available on any given week to play.  I would rather do this and sell the farm for Rodgers.  

I think we are overestimating what Mike White gets paid.  Look at Trubisky made last year.  Teams don't have the money for the QB2 generally and will roll the dice. 

On the other hand, we are going to be shocked at what Jimmy G and Carr get paid.  Far more than expected.  Jimmy G will not end up taking a significant injury discount.  

9 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

White was a dumpster fire? He didn’t seize the moment despite flashing but lost close games to 2 of the better teams in the league. He looked amazing against Chicago but that was a horrible team. He was trash playing with injured ribs and a team that already mailed it in. Still inconclusive with White but it’s on him to not have made a definitive statement with his opportunity. 

you have to be consistent.  Either the Jets are a dumpster fire that he planted for and that would make him comfortable in LA or not

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

None of this has anything to do with what you said. You were commenting on whether he’s a perfect backup or not. This is a pivot to a sample of what he did as a prolonged starter, while the team melted down. 

Don’t really need to unpack it. I think you’re conflating a few things, but don’t really care beyond acknowledging it puzzled me.

Sure it does.  He needed to win two out of three, not one out of three.  His teams playoff spot and his career on the line and he failed.  Nothing more

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Lol it would be very Jetsy indeed to sign a backup for that kind of cashola.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tyrod Taylor got a 2 year 11 million dollar deal with the giants. The cap has gone up. 5 million a year for a back up is cheap. 

You aren't going to find a better back up for less...... and I don't even like Mike White.

• WTF? 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Tyrod Taylor got a 2 year 11 million dollar deal with the giants. The cap has gone up. 5 million a year for a back up is cheap. 

You aren't going to find a better back up for less...... and I don't even like Mike White.

LMFAO

Tyrol Taylor is a THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN MIKE WHITE

end this madness already 

• Post of the Week 2

Well, $4-$8 million is a pretty wide range isn't it?

No way Id pay $8 million for MW as a backup.  Between getting an established starter at QB and resigning Q, there's not enough cap space to sign a backup like MW for $8 million per.

And for all the 'he has to be going to the Rams' folks, they're like $16 mill over the proposed 2023 cap at the end of the season...theyre gonna clear another $8 million to sign the venerable MW as a backup to Stafford? MW that can't play a few games in a row without getting injured?  Mayfield finished as their backup in LA last year at $8 million/yr...is he getting a starter's gig somewhere?  If not, why wouldn't he stay there?

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

5 million for a backup with his upside, that's a bargain.

I'd bring him back in a second at that price.

What’s his upside? Not being injured? Winning more than 1 game? Yeah I guess there is definitely upside from that lol. He is the most most overhyped QB in the history of football and 5 million is a lot when you have no choice but to keep Zach and his 10 million and likely 20-30 million for Aaron Rodgers/Carr/Jimmy G. Can’t waste money on a nobody. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Only way I see White coming back is if we whiff on Carr or Rodgers.  if we bring in a big name guy (at big bucks) we are not paying $5M+ for a back up.  Zach will fill that role along with a PS player (e.g. Streveler) as the number 3.

If we are forced to go with one of the next tier options, maybe you give White a chance to compete. 

Too many ifs.   I feel like we are going to miss on FA Vet QBs.  Retain MW, draft Hooker and make Zach want to quit football.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

no, there’s a big middle ground between 1-3 and 2-1 in 3 games.  Just what we needed to make the playoffs.  He can’t seem to put the ball into the EZ and win when it’s needed.  I like him and would resign him but I’m not losing sleep over losing him to another team.  

Wait, were blaming MW for that now? I thought that MLF was fired for that? You shouldnt worry about scoring cause Hackkett will save us -rolls eyes-

• Thumb Down 1

If he ends up with the Rams you know MLF was not the issue.  But I could see him in GB or SF.  Clearly I would love for him to be back with the Jets.  
He's a good Backup .. just don't see the Jets paying a mercenary 40m + ZW 9.5(cap hit .. Salary+Signing+Roster) + 8m for Mike White...not gonna happen

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Team archer said:

Wait, were blaming MW for that now? I thought that MLF was fired for that? You shouldnt worry about scoring cause Hackkett will save us -rolls eyes-

If he gets Rodgers and the results those two put up in GB, yeah I’m not worried.  Between the endless goofing on the guy he was one hell of an OC his last go at it as a full time OC

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Barton said:

Only the jets would find a young QB who showed flashes of very good play and let him walk for nothing. Figure out the cap and keep White. It can be done. Get rid of Wilson. He’s not more talented than white just because he can click his heels and throw the ball. 

Odell Beckham Jr Lol GIF by Republic Records

you cannot be serious

1 minute ago, Barton said:

Name the jets QB under age 30 in the last 10 years who had games as good as Mike White did. Let’s hear it. 

You're right. 

'15 Fitz was good, but he had Marshall and Decker.  39 y.o. Josh McCown had a career year under Johnny Mo, but it was still nothing to write home about.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Now that I think about it, MW is basically a goner.

ZW is on the books for a 9.5M cap hit.  Cutting him isn't an option, because it would mean 21.5M in dead money.

Rodgers coming in would mean a 31M cap hit in '23.

31 + 9.5 = 40M committed to the QB position.

They may opt to keep Strev as QB3 for the league minimum.

24 minutes ago, Barton said:

Name the jets QB under age 30 in the last 10 years who had games as good as Mike White did. Let’s hear it. 

0 TDs and 5 picks with 3 losses?

PLENTY

or are you referring to the spectacular 3 TD games? how bout Darnold Wilson Geno Sanchez Pennington

literally all of them LMFAO

DELUSIONAL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FactsOnly said:

0 TDs and 5 picks with 3 losses?

PLENTY

or are you referring to the spectacular 3 TD games? how bout Darnold Wilson Geno Sanchez Pennington

literally all of them LMFAO

DELUSIONAL

Good answer. Ignore his good games too. Nice work. 

• Thumb Down 1

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt writes to "keep an eye on the Rams" for Jets quarterback Mike White.

White will hit free agency for the first time in 2023. Rosenblatt notes that it is "no secret" that new Rams OC Mike LaFleur preferred White as the starter over Zach Wilson last season in New York. White is expected to draw interest as a "high-end backup" per Rosenblatt, with the Jets likely looking elsewhere for a starting quarterback. It's possible that White could be a bridge starter elsewhere and get more playing time, but players do often follow the coaches that give them chances and Matthew Stafford is coming off a scary spinal contusion in a lost season. 

Related: