Mike White's salary forecast

Bronx

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Rams is too perfect for White. He has LaFleur out there, a great training staff, and Stafford is on his last legs. The 2023-24 Jets has a real chance to be an epic dumpster fire whether or not they get Rodgers.

From what I’ve read, most of the players not only wanted Zach gone but LaFluer, too. Despite some success, White could easily have been one of those players. Jets are in good shape next year so long as they don’t do anything too stupid; like spend up towards $8M on a backup QB. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i suppose there's a chance the jets will look at white as a possible starter for this season's team.  even though he got injured doesn't mean he's a china doll like chaddy was.  he took quite a hit.  just about any qb would've folded after that one.  but the issue is can he play big enough in the spots where he'll have to win a game?  hard to say.  the team moved the ball but the only team they scored points on with mfw was chicago.  bart starr wasn't the best athlete or passer on the packers.  lombardi picked him because he knew how to play the game and was a winner.

He is a China doll, and his lack of arm and athleticism lead him to being unable to protect himself. Fearlessness is a great trait in a boxer, unless he can’t take a punch. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, slats said:

From what I’ve read, most of the players not only wanted Zach gone but LaFluer, too. Despite some success, White could easily have been one of those players. Jets are in good shape next year so long as they don’t do anything too stupid; like spend up towards $8M on a backup QB. 

You read that here, from pro-Zach insiders.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You read that here, from pro-Zach insiders.

Lol, you posted a lot of it. Seemed to be two-pronged, with a lot of the players wanting LaFluer out. I say this as someone who didn’t like the team firing him, but he did seem to be part of the problem. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, slats said:

He is a China doll, and his lack of arm and athleticism lead him to being unable to protect himself. Fearlessness is a great trait in a boxer, unless he can’t take a punch. 

To be fair, the stories about the exit interviews said the players wanted to go forward with a vet QB or Mike White.

53 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t know about white being a China doll.  That Milano hit was something else. It’s not like he broke his wrist after falling down like chaddy did.  It’s clear that mfw does need good pass protection. He’s not very mobile but QBs only need to take a step one way or another to avoid the rush.  We’ll see. I prefer going for Rodgers but I also want the jets to explore all options.

• More Ugh 1

Only way I see White coming back is if we whiff on Carr or Rodgers.  if we bring in a big name guy (at big bucks) we are not paying $5M+ for a back up.  Zach will fill that role along with a PS player (e.g. Streveler) as the number 3.

If we are forced to go with one of the next tier options, maybe you give White a chance to compete. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

A guy like Bortles or similar only works if you have a guy like Rodgers or Carr, and you want a minimum salary vet to help out in camp and in the meeting room.

Most likely, if the Jets land a Rodgers or Carr, Wilson is the backup and Streveler or a rookie is the 3rd guy earning the minimum.

streveler shouldn't be in a NFL QB room.  i'm sure it'll end up being Rodgers with Wilson backing up - i like Tanner McKee as a later round pick to sit and develop.

This is why I don't understand when people list their fantasy depth chart next year as:

1. New expensive QB

2. Proven backup

3. Zach

Like we can afford this...Zach taking up $10M as the #3.  Our #1 will be making $15M if it's Rodgers, and probably $25M+ if it's anyone else.  Then add in a "good" backup which will probably make the kind of money you're seeing in the OP, I just don't see how that's possible at all.  Especially if we're going to try to address the other holes on this team like OL and S.  Also remember if it's Rodgers, we're missing draft capital.  We're going to have to pay UFAs to fill these spots.  

Zach will be the #2 next year, without a doubt.  Rodgers 1, Zach 2, and Flacco-type wash up or late-round draft pick as the 3.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

5 million for a backup with his upside, that's a bargain.

I'd bring him back in a second at that price.

- White

- Wilson

Pick one.

There is no universe where both will be back in 2023.

One is the backup.

One is gone.

Well, there IS one scenario where both could be back, a worst case where JD/Saleh plan to start Wilson in 2023.

Other than that, there is no way both are back, regardless of price, but especially if we acquire any other veteran (Rodgers, Carr, even Minshew ffs).

If it were up to me, I trade Wilson asap for whatever I could get (sodas for the soda machine?), get my veteran QB (Rodgers or Carr are the only real all-in options), and then draft a new backup QB prospect (Hendon Hooker, Tanner Mckee, perhaps?).

52 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know about white being a China doll.  That Milano hit was something else. It’s not like he broke his wrist after falling down like chaddy did.  It’s clear that mfw does need good pass protection. He’s not very mobile but QBs only need to take a step one way or another to avoid the rush.  We’ll see. I prefer going for Rodgers but I also want the jets to explore all options.

C’mon man, it’s not like that was the first time he was hurt. He’d been knocked out of two or three games before that. He’s unable to protect himself. He wants to play with reckless abandon -which everybody loves, I get that- but his body cannot hold up. 

He’ll be a good backup somewhere, probably making some decent pay. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Lol it would be very Jetsy indeed to sign a backup for that kind of cashola.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Why?  That is the going rate for a back-up QB.  Which Mike White is.  He can come in and pitch a no-hitter.  Just don't expect it every game, because he eventually does get hit:

Jets' Mike White says biggest Matt Milano hit was a good 'football play'

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

no, there’s a big middle ground between 1-3 and 2-1 in 3 games.  Just what we needed to make the playoffs.  He can’t seem to put the ball into the EZ and win when it’s needed.  I like him and would resign him but I’m not losing sleep over losing him to another team.  

None of this has anything to do with what you said. You were commenting on whether he’s a perfect backup or not. This is a pivot to a sample of what he did as a prolonged starter, while the team melted down. 

Don’t really need to unpack it. I think you’re conflating a few things, but don’t really care beyond acknowledging it puzzled me.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, you posted a lot of it. Seemed to be two-pronged, with a lot of the players wanting LaFluer out. I say this as someone who didn’t like the team firing him, but he did seem to be part of the problem. 

I have no doubt LaFleur rubbed some (many?) people the wrong way, but that’s how it goes when you draft a bust QB and the shining light of the org (Mike White) gets injured. I do not see it as a net negative that guys like Becton and Mims, even Moore, felt that LaFleur was mean. Each of those guys desperately need discipline, and it doesn’t sound like much of that was coming from Saleh. LaFleur landed on his feet rather quickly, and if Mike White lands a $6+ mil deal, we’ll get a better idea of what the story was in that locker room. As of now, I keep hearing that the Jets couldn’t get a fifth rounder for Zach Wilson. I’m not sure what offensive coordinator was supposed to do with the cards he was dealt

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

White was a dumpster fire? He didn’t seize the moment despite flashing but lost close games to 2 of the better teams in the league. He looked amazing against Chicago but that was a horrible team. He was trash playing with injured ribs and a team that already mailed it in. Still inconclusive with White but it’s on him to not have made a definitive statement with his opportunity. 

Would love to have MFW back in NY.

Would also be nice to see him get a full season audition while staying off the turf.

I could see him landing in LA with LaFleur, where you don't know how much Stafford has left in the tank or even wants to play.

Rams' OL is awful, though McVay could probably develop MFW into "the best version of himself".

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have no doubt LaFleur rubbed some (many?) people the wrong way, but that’s how it goes when you draft a bust QB and the shining light of the org (Mike White) gets injured. I do not see it as a net negative that guys like Becton and Mims, even Moore, felt that LaFleur was mean. Each of those guys desperately need discipline, and it doesn’t sound like much of that was coming from Saleh. LaFleur landed on his feet rather quickly, and if Mike White lands a $6+ mil deal, we’ll get a better idea of what the story was in that locker room. As of now, I keep hearing that the Jets couldn’t get a fifth rounder for Zach Wilson. I’m not sure what offensive coordinator was supposed to do with the cards he was dealt

I was one of the few on here complaining about LaFluer being fired. I did not like it and agree that he was dealt a **** hand, especially with the rapidly deteriorating Zach. I don’t know what JD might get in a trade for him, but that wouldn’t surprise me. And if that’s the best offer, that’s why they’ll spend at least one more year trying to get more out of him - sealing White’s fate. Can’t pay a QB1, Zach, and then White at the $4-5M mark. There’s other things they need to do. 

I wouldn’t see White’s future deal as reflective on much, although I do not expect him to command too much, either. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

The fans that downvoted posts and attacked anyone who questioned Zach Wilson’s ability over the last two years are the same ones that hate Mike White. Weak. 

Whats weak is the legion of people on the team and fans that all had white penciled in as the starter this coming year despite mostly bad play and poor durability.  Wilson sucked everyone knew that wilson sucked but some people actually projected that into 'Wilson sucks therefor white is good!'

3 hours ago, slats said:

I was one of the few on here complaining about LaFluer being fired. I did not like it and agree that he was dealt a **** hand, especially with the rapidly deteriorating Zach. I don’t know what JD might get in a trade for him, but that wouldn’t surprise me. And if that’s the best offer, that’s why they’ll spend at least one more year trying to get more out of him - sealing White’s fate. Can’t pay a QB1, Zach, and then White at the $4-5M mark. There’s other things they need to do. 

I wouldn’t see White’s future deal as reflective on much, although I do not expect him to command too much, either. 

I agree that it’s not in White’s or the team’s best interest for him to stay here. His presence will be a distraction for Saleh and any non-Rodgers QB, and the finances don’t make sense regardless. White should absolutely chase every dollar he can, no matter where it is. 

10 hours ago, Bronx said:

10 hours ago, Bronx said:

He is a solid backup with an established report with his teammates.  This is a no-brainer in my opinion. 

I know it's sort of apples and oranges, but didn't we pay Flacco 3m+ this season to do nothing? Didn't we give McCown 10M for a year at one point to "mentor" Darnold?

I know I'm not the one writing the checks and I am no salary cap guru by any means - BUT if you told me the Jets brought Mike back on a one year prove it deal for 6-8mil, I would be totally fine with that. Would I invest long term at that avg? No, not without an easy out. But something tells me a prove it year with a guarantee of him having a legit chance of competing to start would be something his camp would want. His value if he strung together an entire season of what he showed in a few games would be MUCH more than 6-8mil. If he bets on himself and takes a 1 year deal, I do that all day.

I say this with the caveat that I am 110% against trading for Rodgers so obviously, in this case, he is not part of the equation. 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He's a 3rd stringer here so he is gone.  6-8 seems high he could get 5 million.

He was our 3rd string last training camp. He was our undisputed 1st string QB (and performed VERY WELL, at times) for a decent chunk of our season. By seasons end, he was no more our "3rd string QB" than you or I. We very well could have made the playoffs if he hadn't gotten his ribs crushed. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

He was our 3rd string last training camp. He was our undisputed 1st string QB (and performed VERY WELL, at times) for a decent chunk of our season. By seasons end, he was no more our "3rd string QB" than you or I. We very well could have made the playoffs if he hadn't gotten his ribs crushed. 

Very well for a decent chunk?

1-3 with the one win being over the bears without their starter.  0 tds and 4 ints in the last 3 games all crucial playoff potential games.

'Starter' for the jets = 3rd stringer for most teams over the years.

He might get a 2nd string gig for another team but not the jets next year, whether anyone likes it or not.

• Sympathy 1

Only the jets would find a young QB who showed flashes of very good play and let him walk for nothing. Figure out the cap and keep White. It can be done. Get rid of Wilson. He’s not more talented than white just because he can click his heels and throw the ball. 

• Thumb Down 2

I’m old enough to remember last time Mike White was available and JN was crying about losing him.  And every team in the NFL passed on tendering him.  

I’ll believe he gets paid like a starter when I see it.  You can’t pay 3 QBs real money.  

Zach is getting paid one way or another and they are trying to bring a vet in.

I think he’s gone and he’s not gonna get paid 20th highest for a QB.  

• Upvote 1