Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

38 minutes ago, doitny said:

it would be official without being OFFICIAL.

lets say nothing is done for 2 weeks. Jimmy G and other QBs sign somewhere else. now you , me and every Jet fan would think its a done deal because we didnt even try to sign another QB. but then Rodgers backs out for whatever reason. then what? Rodgers will say i didnt agree to anything you must have misunderstood me. and only him and a few other people will know the real truth. 

now if Rodgers comes out and tells everyone he has agreed to a trade to the Jets then yes he could still back out but he would look like the biggest scumbag in history. he is more inclined to honor the deal that way then some closed door agreement that 5 people maybe know for sure what happened. the media would kill him, his rep would be forever tarnished. his word for the rest of his life would mean nothing.

This is exactly why he is being a diva with all his deep thinking and not rushing. He wants to double and triple check he wants to A) play. b) play for the jets. He’s been a cheesehead for 18 years, and now given only option to play on center stage in Nyc. Some would easily welcome it. But it’s not for everyone. I’m glad Rodgers is not being pressured to make a decision. 
    On the other hand, JD starting tomorrow will begin looking into Jimmy G, etc. But it sounds like Rodgers knows this week he has to decide 1 way or another. And by Wednesday his options could be more limited.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Is this true? I don’t recall seeing it before… 

That tidbit came from football guy, but the idea is that both teams wants this done before FA begins and Rodgers himself seemed to allude to this in the interview yesterday with Marshall. 

so, assuming FA is the cutoff, the deadline should be either tomorrow (tampering period) or Wednesday (official start of FA)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That tidbit came from football guy, but the idea is that both teams wants this done before FA begins and Rodgers himself seemed to allude to this in the interview yesterday with Marshall. 

so, assuming FA is the cutoff, the deadline should be either tomorrow (tampering period) or Wednesday (official start of FA)

Thanks.

I really could care less if some people here think football guy is the second coming of Chris Mortenson, but they really shouldn’t be posting his opinions as if they’re fact.

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

I think Rogers not being settled also holds up the market to the Jets advantage, that is the take away I came away with from the original post.

I think there could be some truth to it, but I think the bigger part of the hold up is the timing of Rogers current contract, when certain money that would pay out to him and what it means for the Jets as part of the trade.

I don't know, but don't think so. Everyone knows he's due about $60MM in a lump sum right before the first game. If there was a big problem with that worst-case scenario, they wouldn't be in talks.

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This is exactly why he is being a diva with all his deep thinking and not rushing. He wants to double and triple check he wants to A) play. b) play for the jets. He’s been a cheesehead for 18 years, and now given only option to play on center stage in Nyc. Some would easily welcome it. But it’s not for everyone. I’m glad Rodgers is not being pressured to make a decision. 
    On the other hand, JD starting tomorrow will begin looking into Jimmy G, etc. But it sounds like Rodgers knows this week he has to decide 1 way or another. And by Wednesday his options could be more limited.

I think diva is maybe too much of a bad description.  I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he really has to be careful with this decision. It’s a lot of money to leave on the table but he probably has fu money and maybe isn’t totally committed to training camp or moving or  a host of other things. He’s been in his comfort zone for 18 years and it must be tough to leave it. And I certainly wouldn’t want him to join the jets knowing he’s having second thoughts.  What if he signs and then next month decides to retire? It could happen. For the jets sake he needs to be rock solid sure this is what he wants.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, just heard Damien Woody say that the Jets have been airtight with leaks on this, and even he can’t get a sniff. Took a veiled shot at the Schefters and Rapoports of the world who are outright guessing on what Rodgers and the Jets are doing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

FWIW, just heard Damien Woody say that the Jets have been airtight with leaks on this, and even he can’t get a sniff. Took a veiled shot at the Schefters and Rapoports of the world who are outright guessing on what Rodgers and the Jets are doing. 

I was in that space. Asked him about 1 year of Rodgers vs 4 years of Carr. Said Jets are chasing greatness but didn’t really allude to what he would of chosen to do.

• Upvote 1

The airtight nature is likely the other moves they need to make in terms of bradying this roster for a superbowl push. The Rodgers part of this is already done.
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Airtight? I know two different people who have entirely different connections and they have identical info. I’d say the opposite of airtight. There’s no mystery. They’re waiting for the green light from Aaron, with an announcement by tomorrow morning. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wit said:

The airtight nature is likely the other moves they need to make in terms of bradying this roster for a superbowl push. The Rodgers part of this is already done.

There is no benefit for the Jets to keep their lips sealed right now. The two most likely reasons that the deal isn't announced yet are:

1. Rodgers really hasn't decided if he wants to play next season.
2. Packers still haven't come to an agreement with the Jets on a combination of draft picks and/or players to be included in the trade. 

Think about it. If Rodgers wants to play for the Jets and the Packers/Jets have agreed to the terms of a trade they would have already leaked it to a reputable source by now. There is no benefit to keep everyone in the dark about it. This isn't like the NFL Draft when the league wants the 1st overall pick to be a "surprise" for those tuning into the spectacle that has become the NFL Draft. 

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I think diva is maybe too much of a bad description.  I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he really has to be careful with this decision. It’s a lot of money to leave on the table but he probably has fu money and maybe isn’t totally committed to training camp or moving or  a host of other things. He’s been in his comfort zone for 18 years and it must be tough to leave it. And I certainly wouldn’t want him to join the jets knowing he’s having second thoughts.  What if he signs and then next month decides to retire? It could happen. For the jets sake he needs to be rock solid sure this is what he wants.

He recently basically called himself a diva in reference to people saying he is ha. Like the guy for not caring many view him as. Most all time greats are though. Lebron, Brady ( still want handshake after the big lossses ) 

There is no benefit for the Jets to keep their lips sealed right now. The two most likely reasons that the deal isn't announced yet are:
1. Rodgers really hasn't decided if he wants to play next season.
2. Packers still haven't come to an agreement with the Jets on a combination of draft picks and/or players to be included in the trade. 
Think about it. If Rodgers wants to play for the Jets and the Packers/Jets have agreed to the terms of a trade they would have already leaked it to a reputable source by now. There is no benefit to keep everyone in the dark about it. This isn't like the NFL Draft when the league wants the 1st overall pick to be a "surprise" for those tuning into the spectacle that has become the NFL Draft. 

The benefit may simply be Rodgers request so he can announce it and pay proper respects to the packers fans.
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Airtight? I know two different people who have entirely different connections and they have identical info. I’d say the opposite of airtight. There’s no mystery. They’re waiting for the green light from Aaron, with an announcement by tomorrow morning. 

The only information out there is that 1. The Pack and Jets *probably* have the framework for a deal and 2. They’re *probably* waiting on Rodgers to decide—both pieces are inferential and not based on any leaks. The Jets very publicly flew across the country for him, and Mark Murphy effectively said “yes, we are trading him to the Jets.” 

• Upvote 2