Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Speaking of pff, Sims and florio have been destroying the packers for this situation 

Interesting point Florio makes towards the end about Goodell getting involved with Woody and Murphy to nudge this along.

Goodell and the league have a huge interest in getting this done sooner rather than later, because they want to maximize the Jets and Rodgers on national tv and the League is in the middle of putting together the schedule.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe the real “leverage” is the friends you made along the way

This media cat fight the packers front office is having with Rodgers is comical and embarrassing, the more the packers brass speak the more they make the situation worst for the packers 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Packers don’t need a first round pick. Jets have two #2’s.

They'd be very lucky to get either of those. If GB is being scummy and back peddling on a previously agreed upon deal I'd offer them either a 7th this year or a 6th next year. Queue the Jets fans talking about a backup plan trying to provide GB with what they perceive as leverage.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Is it a good thing that the Jets are trotting their coach out to say wilson is #2, the gm saying they are not in on lamar and the jets still expecting to get a good deal in a trade they assumed they would make long ago?

You guys actually think this is a quality work getting a vet QB for the jets?

A deal will get done, packers will get less than they want the jets will pay more than they want.

Yes. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

A quote from a post over at packerforum.com:

"If you told me Gute spun Rodgers into say Carl Lawson, Jeremy Ruckert and say Mims on the roster this year + a 2024 1st and a 2024 3rd or 4th....maybe a Day 3 conditional in 2025 I think you gotta take it."

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Nice to see their entertaining themselves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like a deal is done. Maybe just waiting for an ideal time to announce it.

GB FO talking about Rodgers in the past tense.

Saleh already referring to Wilson as QB2 when he’s the only rostered QB.

JD saying it’s not right for him to look into other options.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This media cat fight the packers front office is having with Rodgers is comical and embarrassing, the more the packers brass speak the more they make the situation worst for the packers 

Seems pretty clear that Rodgers has been bullying him and LaFleur for the last three years and they can’t wait to be done with it, but the stranglehold contract Murphy gave him has limited their options and now they’re ****ed to the third knuckle. 

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

A quote from a post over at packerforum.com:

"If you told me Gute spun Rodgers into say Carl Lawson, Jeremy Ruckert and say Mims on the roster this year + a 2024 1st and a 2024 3rd or 4th....maybe a Day 3 conditional in 2025 I think you gotta take it."

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

If the deal is anything like the first part, without the picks, JD should include himself.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I keep reading people say GB reneged on a deal, or moved goal posts. Can someone show me when this was actually reported?

Why is it necessary to say something we have no proof ever happened and talk about it as if it’s fact?

boo-this-man-hat-throw-meme-original-3ye

Well you will never have proof since the Jets will never speak publicly state this because it would be totally out of character.

However, there have been others who have suggested this because GB didn't expect Rogers to say he is willing to go to the Jets.

Clearly, no one would permit a party to speak with a valuable asset without knowing the contours of that agreement....

And here is some personally speculating that GB didn't expect that Rogers was going to make himself available.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Seems like a deal is done. Maybe just waiting for an ideal time to announce it.

GB FO talking about Rodgers in the past tense.

Saleh already referring to Wilson as QB2 when he’s the only rostered QB.

JD saying it’s not right for him to look into other options.

Another part that stuck out to me (off topic) was Douglas going “that’s not confirmed,” regarding Calais Campbell, then talking about him visiting. I wonder if we’re getting Campbell too 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

They'd be very luck to get either of those. If GB is being scummy and back peddling on a previously agreed upon deal I'd offer them either a 7th this year or a 6th next year. Queue the Jets fans talking about a backup plan trying to provide GB with what they perceive as leverage.

Just keep to the original offer... period stop.... make them honor the deal. Don't lower it, because that would also be in bad faith... Just keep the original deal until they accept it.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

The Jets patience will run out once Jimmy guys and they'll move on to someone like Tannehill.

Although I have a feeling Rodgers will re-insert himself into this at some point and say it's either the Jets or I'm showing up to training camp in GB, I'm not retiring. That will force GB's hand. 

Yikes this is already ugly.   Wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers does his scorched earth on PM tomorrow.   

• Sympathy 2

52 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

They'd be very luck to get either of those. If GB is being scummy and back peddling on a previously agreed upon deal I'd offer them either a 7th this year or a 6th next year. Queue the Jets fans talking about a backup plan trying to provide GB with what they perceive as leverage.

Could we just stop on the assumption the packers moved the goal post?   no reports indicate that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Another part that stuck out to me (off topic) was Douglas going “that’s not confirmed,” regarding Calais Campbell, then talking about him visiting. I wonder if we’re getting Campbell too 

Also noticed when OBJ came up like something is already done. Kind of smirked and said you can never have too many weapons.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems pretty clear that Rodgers has been bullying him and LaFleur for the last three years and they can’t wait to be done with it, but the stranglehold contract Murphy gave him has limited their options and now they’re ****ed to the third knuckle. 

Spot on.   I wanted him gone to the Broncos last year.   They shot themselves in the foot...   Though you can't really blame them at the time.   Last year Jordan Love didn't look like he did this year.   Rodgers and the Packers were the top seed and lost in 2021 due to the worst special teams performance in history.   I was ready to move on but didn't really fault them for going all in with what they had.   Didn't work out.  Also Murphy doesn't do those contracts it's Gute and Russ Ball(though Murphy would have to approve it).

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Could we just stop on the assumption the packers moved the goal post?   Know reports indicate that.

Could be.  But the wording is interesting.  

"Doesn’t necessarily need a first-round pick" isn't the same thing as "Won't include a first-round pick".  It sounds to my admittedly biased ear like it was being tossed around and GB is coming around to the idea that it isn't happening.  Sounds like Gute is trying to let the air out slowly rather than take a beating all at once when the final deal is announced. 

I could be completely wrong on that but if it was never in play, I can't see why he would choose his words that way.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could be.  But the wording is interesting.  

"Doesn’t necessarily need a first-round pick" isn't the same thing as "Won't include a first-round pick".  It sounds to my admittedly biased ear like it was being tossed around and GB is coming around to the idea that it isn't happening.  Sounds like Gute is trying to let the air out slowly rather than take a beating all at once when the final deal is announced. 

I could be completely wrong on that but if it was never in play, I can't see why he would choose his words that way.

Likely they started high and the Jets started low and Gute is maybe trying to slide back and when the Jets slide forward we can move on.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’m no expert in the art of negotiation, but I’m guessing that saying…

1. You don’t want the player

2. The player is no longer talking to you

3. You don’t expect maximum value back in a trade for that player

…probably doesn’t do too much for your perceived leverage. I am sure the wizards on ESPN and NFLN will recast their hottest takes on the matter forthwith. 

Our GM said today, pretty unequivocally, that we’re all-in on Rodgers and don’t have a plan B. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Our GM said today, pretty unequivocally, that we’re all-in on Rodgers and don’t have a plan B. 

Both teams need to make the deal. We will give up more than most on here think but not anywhere near as much as the loonies on Packers boards think. Compromise.

It's just a matter of when. I would think the Packers would want to do it before the draft to get picks this year and the Jets would want to do it before training camp. 

• Upvote 2

He said right now it would be bad faith negotiation with Lamar…. That doesn’t mean he can’t quickly pivot to him in good faith if things really fell through. Jd has to kiss Rodgers ring for now and not risk him blowing this up and just retiring.

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Both teams need to make the deal. We will give up more than most on here think but not anywhere near as much as the loonies on Packers boards think. Compromise.

It's just a matter of when. I would think the Packers would want to do it before the draft to get picks this year and the Jets would want to do it before training camp. 

I don't see a 13 for 15 swap.   Jets I'm sure don't wan't to risk missing out on an OT...   They probably also really want one second rounder since they don't have a third.   I'm guessing the deal will be a second this year and future conditional based on if Rodgers comes back and how the team or him does.   Who knows, maybe it's only about money at this point.

• Upvote 2