Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

19 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

That's fair. I don't think we are there yet. We ELITE play from a lot more than Rodgers, imo. Possible? Sure, I guess anything is possible. Though, Imo, not likely. I've past accepted that this trade is going to happen. To what extent I'll genuinely be happy about it depends on what we give up. If this ends with the Jets having leverage and this trade pretty heavily in their favor, I'll be a lot happier. I think a 2nd and the contract is too much. A 2nd and more plus the contract I fully believe will do more damage than good to bringing this team towards sustained winning. 

Like everything else this team does, in the end when they get him, I'll hope for the best and likely prepare for the worst. 

My point is it’s worth a shot. A lot has to go right, but you can talk yourself into it: 

-Rodgers returns to MVP form 

-G Wilson takes another step with Rodgers and becomes a Justin Jefferson type 

-OBJ signs and becomes a great supporting player with Lazard 

-Jets defense replicates and possibly improves on what they did last year 

A lot also depends on the conference. I think the AFC is filled with a lot of great QBs and mediocre rosters, but who knows?

I am also a huge NY Rangers fan. The Rangers have the best team they’ve had since ‘94 IMO, but are playing in probably the toughest eastern conference of all time. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I have said this multiple time regarding Joe Douglas:

I like him.

I think he may be as good as people say he is.

He is, 100%, without a doubt, reason numero uno as to why we’re here in the first place.  If this “cost us” Joe Douglas, I’m not crying any tears of the guy responsible for the 2020 draft, who turned down a king’s ransom for the second overall pick, and drafted Zach Wilson one year later. I share similar doubts with Saleh.

As for being a laughing stock?  Like I said, we’re currently a laughing stock.  Continuing to be one for another year doesn’t affect me in the slightest.

I’ll defend him for it. What did you want him to do? Even if he traded out of that pick he’d still need to get a QB. 

Douglas got screwed by the fact that Christopher Johnson was a terrible acting owner. The Jags put Minshew on ice and started Jake Luton and Mike Glennon. They also fired their coach and embraced the tank. Tanking needs to come from the owner. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

It worries me that all parties are interested in getting things done yet we haven’t reached our goal. 

I might be a minority but I think the fact that nothing has happened yet is a good thing. I think it means that there is a clear goal and they have been sticking to it. We heard ad nauseum about JD sticking to a price he sets on trades and contracts. Being stubborn in that way may have resulted in passing on some opportunities, but it also resulted in him getting exceptional returns on, arguably, every trade he's made. The man certainly has his faults and has made mistakes but the value he has gotten in his biggest trades has been his strongest quality, IMO. I'm not in the pro-Rodgers camp by any stretch. But this is where we are and, if I'm being honest, right now I have a lot more faith in JD pulling off this trade successfully than drafting another 1st round QB lol

I think the longer this drags out, the better it ends up for us. Both GMs are f'ed at this point if this doesn't happen, so it'll get done. IMO the Packers would be somewhat more f'ed if it doesn't happen. I think JD is using that and that it'll ultimately be to our advantage. 

I hope,  anyway. I could be wrong ??‍♂️

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

That trade would make me ill. So much more than we should pay that it is sort of ludicrous. He is not even worth trading a 2nd alone for.,

This 

That proposal would be absolutely absurd.  No way is JD giving up that much, under any circumstances.

Now there is rumors that Love may want out.  Packers losing even more leverage.

1 minute ago, hawk said:

This would be absolutely absurd.  No way is JD giving up that much, under any circumstances.

Lol.  I think GB has way more risk of this blowing up than the Jets do.  That contract sucks.   I don’t see why you pay a fortune in picks too.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, hawk said:

This 

That proposal would be absolutely absurd.  No way is JD giving up that much, under any circumstances.

That “rumor” that Love wants out was posted by a Jets fan as a parody for Packers fans using Craig Carton and random Packers podcast hosts as sources for other teams being interested yesterday.

As for the proposal?  Football Guy and I have heard a similar package, from completely different sources, multiple times, for months now, and have been posting that here.  Unless something drastic changes, that is pretty close to what I would expect the compensation to be.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That “rumor” that Love wants out was posted by a Jets fan as a parody for Packers fans using Craig Carton and random Packers podcast hosts as sources for other teams being interested yesterday.

As for the proposal?  Football Guy and I have heard that same exact deal, from completely different sources, multiple times, for months now, and have been posting that here.  Unless something drastic changes, that is pretty close to what I would expect the compensation to be.

When do you think this is getting done?

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Still too much.  One 2023 2nd and a 2024 4th that can become a 2nd only if the Jets win the SB (3rd if they make the AFC Title game or something like that).  If Rodgers retires, the Jets get a 2025 4th back from GB.

But wait, the 49ers have the 99th and 100th overall pick this year. If I were the Packers, I would take that deal. They would be stupid not to, says Craig Carton. 

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

With the haul he could have gotten for the 2nd pick, I could have lived with Sam Darnold and a veteran for one season.  He chose to bite the bullet and make Zach “his guy”.  He is the one who will have to, and currently is, answering for that.

So in this mystical trade scenario, who would be the Jets QB today?

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

With the haul he could have gotten for the 2nd pick, I could have lived with Sam Darnold and a veteran for one season.  He chose to bite the bullet and make Zach “his guy”.  He is the one who will have to, and currently is, answering for that.

I watched some of this years guys tape and looked at Zach’s college tape again.

I don’t understand the hate for the pick.   Zach was anticipating receivers getting open and throwing with accuracy.  It’s fine to hate it - but you are in a contrarian position to say it was a horrible pick.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

New England currently has Mac Jones and Miami committed to Tua by picking up his 5th year option, so filling up a diaper over those two, as of now, extremely unlikely “what ifs” is a complete waste of brain power.

If, for whatever reason, something like that plays out?  Honestly?  I don’t even care at this point.  We’ve been, for the most part, absolute dogsh*t since 2011.  Finding something different to do on Sundays from November - February has been my routine for the last 12 years.  I can last another one.

Bold is the part that the "what else are the Jets going to do?" folks seem to miss. I realize they ideally want to be competitive, but they've been putting a non-competitive product on the field for north of a decade. We might not like it, but doing it again this year is something everyone would be familiar and comfortable with.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Same as now, not Zach Wilson. But the rest of the team would be a lot better.

That 2021 class was absolutely loaded too. Not like swinging and missing in 2013. High end players at premium positions all over the place.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don’t know.  There would probably be a lot more talent at premium positions though.

26 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t understand the hate for the pick.   Zach was anticipating receivers getting open and throwing with accuracy.  It’s fine to hate it - but you are in a contrarian position to say it was a horrible pick.  

I didn’t hate Zach, the prospect.  He was my QB pick outside of Lawrence.  However, my preference was to trade down, after we screwed ourselves out of Trevor, up until the day Sam was officially traded, and it was clear we were picking a QB.

That being said, I am a fan.  My job doesn’t depend on choices like that, and my opinion isn’t relevant to what actually happens.  Joe Douglas still has to answer for a colossal mistake, even if I was onboard with the pick at the time.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think I've beaten this dead horse enough. 

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

As for the proposal?  Football Guy and I have heard a similar package, from completely different sources, multiple times, for months now, and have been posting that here.  Unless something drastic changes, that is pretty close to what I would expect the compensation to be.

The article below is, admittedly, from Dec 13, 2022 but I would think the principal still applies (if he's not the starter then he wants out).  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/jordan-love-will-request-trade-2023-packers-insider-believes

Jordan Love will request trade in 2023, Packers insider believes

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think most Jet fans hate how it's turned out so far (and we wish we could've drafted Trevor) but I agree with you that it seemed like a good pick at the time.  I know I was optimistic about it.  IIRC, many Jet fans were happy/hopeful about ZW.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Then JD is an idiot, and I don't think that he is.  If there hasn't been any movement in "months" its probably because it is farther apart than the "sources" believe.

The only risk to Jets, another team jumps in, AND Rodgers is willing to go there as well.  Two pretty big asks at this point of the offseason, however, is a real possibility.  Not Yet.  

I Also don't believe the Head Hancho in Green Bay would put their hopes in a let's see who jumps in drastic happens to gain any leverage.  They have no rush either, and they know it as well.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I have said this multiple time regarding Joe Douglas:

I like him.

I think he may be becoming as good as people made him to be when he was hired.

He is, 100%, without a doubt, reason numero uno as to why we’re here in the first place.  If this “cost us” Joe Douglas, I’m not crying any tears over the guy responsible for the 2020 draft, who turned down a king’s ransom for the second overall pick, and drafted Zach Wilson one year later. I share similar doubts with Saleh.

As for being a laughing stock?  Like I said, we’re currently a laughing stock.  Continuing to be one for another year doesn’t affect me in the slightest.

I like JD as well. I can see the evolution. If we fire him, he'll take what he learned here, go somewhere else and be an excellent GM. He blew a high pick on a universally well regarded qb prospect. He's not the first guy to do that, qb is pretty damn hard to nail unless you get handed a generational prospect like Lawrence. I'm willing to let him puck another guy, this time without someone like Lafleur in his ear.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Zach sucks and was always going to suck here, but Douglas looked at the landscape and knew he wasn’t going to get his shot at a QB prospect the level of Zach Wilson again. The 2021 class was balls and he knew it. The great mistake with Zach Wilson was in gifting him the starting job from day one instead of redshirting him while he got his sh*t together. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Meh. Would still have no QB. And prob close to the same position we are now with a couple more positions filled. 
Going that route wasn’t a bad decision. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach sucks and was always going to suck here, but Douglas looked at the landscape and knew he wasn’t going to get his shot at a QB prospect the level of Zach Wilson again. The 2021 class was balls and he knew it. The great mistake with Zach Wilson was in gifting him the starting job from day one instead of redshirting him while he got his sh*t together. 

Sure it is easy for you to say that now. Where were you all season when a bunch of us were raising red flags and you were like that Pittsburgh game though.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, hawk said:

Then JD is an idiot, and I don't think that he is.  If there hasn't been any movement in "months" its probably because it is farther apart than the "sources" believe.

The only risk to Jets, another team jumps in, AND Rodgers is willing to go there as well.  Two pretty big asks at this point of the offseason, however, is a real possibility.  Not Yet.  

I Also don't believe the Head Hancho in Green Bay would put their hopes in a let's see who jumps in drastic happens to gain any leverage.  They have no rush either, and they know it as well.

FWIW, I don't think that it is this year's compensation holding the deal up.  I believe that part of it is going to be one of #42 or #43, and a player (Corey Davis is the name that has constantly been given to me.) 

Everything I have recently heard, beyond that, lines up with what you have heard in the media: the Jets want protection in the event that Rodgers retires next year.  In that case, Green Bay would prefer a pick that isn't a conditional pick next year, and then some, if they are going to, potentially, give something back, should that happen.

I will reiterate what has been my opinion since mid-March, and what @football guy has already stated.  I believe that a 2nd this year, Corey Davis, and a conditional 2nd next year, with easier stipulations to make it a 1st, ultimately get the deal across the finish line.  The initial proposal I heard around the end of February, or early March (I, honestly, can't remember when it was; I would have to look), that I posted here around the same time, was our 2nd, Corey Davis, and a conditional 3rd next year, that could become a 1st based on playoff success.  Personally, I think simply upgrading that conditional 3rd to a conditional 2nd is more than fair, and anything beyond that would be a bad trade for Joe Douglas, especially if Aaron retires after one season.  Let's say, for discussions sake, the stipulations become "individual performance" based.  It needs to be along the lines of "If Aaron wins the MVP award...", and not something as simple as "If Rodgers throws for 4,000 yards...", for me to be comfortable with pulling the trigger on a conditional pick, that can become a 1st, built around such parameters.  Next year is shaping up to be a very good QB class.  The Jets need to protect that 1st round pick as best as they can, in the event that Rodgers decides that playing here is a one-and-done gig for him.  Parameters based on playoff success (i.e. it becomes a first if the Jets reach/win the Super Bowl?  I am more than ok with that.

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I like JD as well. I can see the evolution. If we fire him, he'll take what he learned here, go somewhere else and be an excellent GM. He blew a high pick on a universally well regarded qb prospect. He's not the first guy to do that, qb is pretty damn hard to nail unless you get handed a generational prospect like Lawrence. I'm willing to let him puck another guy, this time without someone like Lafleur in his ear.

I agree, for the most part.  That being said, if this deal, somehow, falls through, then that will be strike 3 for me.  Douglas backed himself into this corner, and I want to see that he has the ability to get himself out of it.  So far he has convinced Aaron to play here.  He needs to close on the biggest deal of his career, thus far.

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Meh. Would still have no QB. And prob close to the same position we are now with a couple more positions filled. 
Going that route wasn’t a bad decision. 

I didn't think it was either.  The mistake Joe made, that I certainly wouldn't have made if I were him, was not signing a competent veteran QB, and handing Zach the starting job.  I was high on Wilson.  I still wrote in my pre-draft analysis of him that he was more raw than most people viewed him and that he probably needed to sit for, at least, 1 season to get the most out of his potential.

• Upvote 4