Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The only reason to take Bahktieri would be if you can extend him one year for reasonable cost & Minimize his cap hit. We will be losing Brown next year & it will be Becton’s last year. We still need to be drafting offensive line this year and next.

Yea I'd imagine you rework Bakhtiari to align with Rodgers remaining 2 years. Douglas was apart of the front office who hit on the Eagles LT in thr 6th round. I think he realizes he can hit on OL outside of round 1. I'd also love to snag Vorhees (torn acl at combine) 2nd round grade and has played every OL position. Redshirt him a year then you have some options.

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe I'm wrong.  I thought that money somehow didn't count against the cap if the Jets pay it.  

Yeah I think if that were the case we’d see it happen all the time?
At this point it’s worth remembering that trade a few years ago when (I think) the Texans actually received a draft pick from (Ithink) Denver when Houston actually traded FOR the QB that Denver mistakenly signed to a huge deal the year before but then wanted rid of….apologies for the vagueness, can’t remember his name, either way we’ve seen the precedent where a team in a cap bind has to actually give more up to get free of it. Not saying that this will happen with Rodgers but the Jets should own a lot of leverage here and if they have the cap space to absorb it then we are in a string position, but the key thing in that Texans deal was that they had so much cap space they could make that deal AND receive a high draft pick as well as the player, but that does have to go against the cap I think 

EDIT: I had the wrong way round, Texans actually shifted the player to the Browns; Brock Osweiler

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-brock-osweiler-trade-smart-move-by-browns-front-office

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Woke up to no signing.  Can’t say I’m not disappointed 

From everything I’m reading from packers fans, Aaron Is 100% not the type to let you smash after the first date.

So this was expected by everyone outside of New York 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe I'm wrong.  I thought that money somehow didn't count against the cap if the Jets pay it.  

So yes and no. Rodgers bonus does convert to a signing bonus once it is exercised. Signing bonuses don't get traded to the new team. In the Rodgers contract, that option will not be exercised until after the trade is completed.

Meaning that $58m will hit us in 4 equal installments over the remaining 4 years of his contract. So the 14.5m option + 1m base gets you to 15m this year.

There is another 45m option due after the 2024 Super Bowl that will work the same way.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

So yes and no. Rodgers bonus does convert to a signing bonus once it is exercised. Signing bonuses don't get traded to the new team. In the Rodgers contract, that option will not be exercised until after the trade is completed.

Meaning that $58m will hit us in 4 equal installments over the remaining 4 years of his contract. So the 14.5m option + 1m base gets you to 15m this year.

There is another 45m option due after the 2024 Super Bowl that will work the same way.

It’s basically designed to pay Rodgers over $50mm/year for two years and spread the total cost over 4 years.  In the last two years you actually don’t get a QB. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I'd imagine you rework Bakhtiari to align with Rodgers remaining 2 years. Douglas was apart of the front office who hit on the Eagles LT in thr 6th round. I think he realizes he can hit on OL outside of round 1. I'd also love to snag Vorhees (torn acl at combine) 2nd round grade and has played every OL position. Redshirt him a year then you have some options.

If the trade is for Rodgers and Bakhtiari, then I’m ok with giving up 13. For those two players, I would do 13, next years’ 2nd and Corey Davis. I expect Rodgers wants us to sign Cobb and Lazard. So we likely will be trading/cutting Davis and Berrios.

• Upvote 1

I remember thoroughly enjoying every single morsel of the Brady NE split like many of us Jets fans 

BUT

Now its insane now seeing bears, lions and Vikings fans sitting back with their popcorn hoping Aaron becomes a Jet and cheering us on

lmao good times right now

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Guys I seen this yesterday, Joy made a good point here (even though she was haiting on Aaron) 

isn’t what sauce and Breece did tampering? Maybe Rodgers is a jet already? Idk 

She’s also a dolphins fan 

But it’s probably tampering 

but also, who cares 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

She’s also a dolphins fan 

But it’s probably tampering 

but also, who cares 

1. Jets had permission from packers to talk to him

2. I've never seen a tampering charge due to players talking

3. You're first point is correct, dolphins fan, says it all

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't see why we'd bid against ourselves. Only way I see them getting 13 this year is if Bakhtiari is included

Has anyone actually looked at the size of Bakhtiari's current contract? Just wondering how the Jets would manage not one but two massive contracts without imploding. And Bakhtiari has struggled with injuries. Pass. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

do you think a first (13) is definite?

I should be clear, I have no idea what WILL happen.

I'm just having a very hard believing the Jets will get A. Rodgers for what amounts to a bag of footballs and his salary costs.

A 2nd and conditional 3rd (rise to 1st) is just not alot of compensation for a HOF-level Franchise QB, old and fickle though he may be.  Sure there is risk, but not that much risk over the term we (the Jets) likely expect him to play (2 seasons).

I thought early on it was going to take two 1sts, the 2023 and 2024, at minimum, and likely some third pick somewhere, a midrounder.

Our resident insiders seem to think the comp is MUCH less.  But I'd expect something like:

1. 2023 1st Round Pick (#13)
2. 2024 2nd Round Pick (Conditional, rises to 1st if X, Y, Z met, games played, doesn't retire by X date, makes playoffs maybe).
3. 2024 4th Round Pick.

That, that's a deal where I'd go "yeah, I expected that much, ouch, but ok".

If we legit get him for much less, that's pretty amazing IMO.

Just now, Warfish said:

I should be clear, I have no idea what WILL happen.

I'm just having a very hard believing the Jets will get A. Rodgers for what amounts to a bag of footballs and his salary costs.

A 2nd and conditional 3rd (rise to 1st) is just not alot of compensation for a HOF-level Franchise QB, old and fickle though he may be.  Sure there is risk, but not that much risk over the term we (the Jets) likely expect him to play (2 seasons).

I thought early on it was going to take two 1sts, the 2023 and 2024, at minimum, and likely some third pick somewhere, a midrounder.

Our resident insiders seem to think the comp is MUCH less.  But I'd expect something like:

1. 2023 1st Round Pick (#13)
2. 2024 2nd Round Pick (Conditional, rises to 1st if X, Y, Z met, games played, doesn't retire by X date, makes playoffs maybe).
3. 2024 4th Round Pick.

That, that's a deal where I'd go "yeah, I expected that much, ouch, but ok".

If we legit get him for much less, that's pretty amazing IMO.

That’s too much for a guy who may play 2 more seasons.  And you’re clearly not getting the HOF qb in his prime.  You have to look beyond the name brand here.  

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:
step 1 of 10.

The fear is we're strung along, and ultimately nothing happens. 

The "he can't go back to GB" view is pure silliness, of course he can, he's done it before.  And Love isn't so great a prospect to warrant forcing him to go asap.

There is real risk the Jets stand around playing musical chairs and find no chair for them at the end of the tune.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s too much for a guy who may play 2 more seasons.  And you’re clearly not getting the HOF qb in his prime.  You have to look beyond the name brand here.  

I think people are telling themselves this as a form of self-rationalization and hope. Just like the "GB must trade him, he can't go back" theory, it's what folks want to believe, not the actual facts here.

Only time will tell.  Hopefully not so much time we lose out on other options if needed.....