Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Big fan on drafting the fifth guy this year at QB, eh?  Starting Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee in 2023 is your solution.

If so, old friend, I'm happy to write off your view on QB's right now, lol.

there is no easy solution, don't put the lack of one on me 

I'm not the one who pushed all in on Zach 

that type of terrible decision has ramifications. 

what it probably means is another rebuild but no one wants to hear it 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

They are both injury prone, either way you look at it. I grade them out as equally likely to miss time 

If this is your honest assessment, then I think we can leave the discussion here, as we just fundamentally disagree. 

Jimmy G has played one complete season in his career. I don’t see any reasonable argument for Aaron Rodgers being just as injury prone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I grade them out as equally likely to miss time

You grade a guy who has never started a full 16 or 17 game season, and only been a full-time starter for two season in nine as equal to a guy who hasn't missed a single start in the last five years, playing all 16 (or 17) every season, and only missed significant time twice in 15 seasons?

I question your grading methodology.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Aaron Rodgers is going into his 19th season and played last year with a broken thumb. He's going to be 40. Clearly declining. 

Jimmy G played 11 games last year out of 17 and is 31 years old. He played 15 of 16 the year before. He's missed 7 games in the last 2 years.

They are both injury prone, either way you look at it. I grade them out as equally likely to miss time 

Rodgers is just way more expensive, in terms of draft picks given up and salary owed. 

But to reiterate, i don't think they get Jimmy G either. There are other teams sniffing around Jimmy G like the Raiders. 

The Jets are all in on Rodgers so it's a false equivalency. 

Rodgers has played every game for the last 5 seasons and 8 of the last 9 seasons. I'm not sure injury prone is the term I'd use when compared to Jimmy G.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

You grade a guy who has never started a full 16 or 17 game season, and only been a full-time starter for two season in nine as equal to a guy who hasn't missed a single start in the last five years, playing all 16 (or 17) every season, and only missed significant time twice in 15 seasons?

I question your grading methodology.

yeah well one guy is 10 years older than the other 

i'll say it again father time is undefeated

by the way if there was a movie Aaron Rodgers could play Father time that's how old he looks right now 

Bitonti wanting Jimmy G or a rookie plays right into his ongoing narrative of the team prioritizing cost reduction and not being serious about winning.

Rodgers changes everything for this team.  I'm not really sure how any objective person can disagree.  He's certainly past his prime, but he will provide a level of play that various quarterbacks have only done a handful of times in the history of this franchise.  The Jets have a window to do something special with Sauce, Wilson, Breece, Moore, and AVT on rookie contracts.  Time to swing for the fences.

• Upvote 3

Just now, bitonti said:

without MLF there's no Mike White champion 

I honestly don't think there's an easy answer. Other than hoping Zach gets good somehow 

they are screwed. 

Haha..  Optimistic take. 

I dunno I agree with many of your posts but throwing up your hands and saying we're screwed isn't a strategy. 

If we get Rodgers you'll be streaking with the rest of us in unadulterated joy. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

honest answer a QW extension (and bringing back his brother at LB) would make me happy. 

Well I don't know about happy but it would be a start

They are screwed at QB. That's probably not going to change this offseason.  

If it was up to me I'd trade zach yesterday (or cut him) and go back to the draft. 

whether it's neil odonnell or vinny T or farve, free agent QB all end the same way in disappointment 

Love the first part but everything else is a huge pile of MEH.

Jets have a 3 year window right now with the talent they have and while the draft should be an annual core part of finding our long term franchise QB, the probability of finding a short term win now QB hasn’t been and isn’t highly probable.

Yes, they need to hold on to their first round picks and reduce the dead cap hits .. and if they do this offense could be downright scary.  Rodgers won back to back MVPs in 2020-2021 after previously been written off … with the same OC.  His ego has him highly motivated to prove doubters wrong.

Just because we failed before, doesn’t mean we should be gun shy.  

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah well one guy is 10 years older than the other 

i'll say it again father time is undefeated

by the way if there was a movie Aaron Rodgers could play Father time that's how old he looks right now 

Even if Rodgers is just average next year, I don't think he will, I'd still take a full season out of him than missing games from Jimmy G

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

He's certainly past his prime, but he will provide a level of play that various quarterbacks have only done a handful of times in the history of this franchise. 

I used to work in Wall St, in the research department, and those guys would put a disclaimer on the bottom of every report: 

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

just because Aaron Rodgers was good for 18 years doesn't mean he will be good in year 19. Everyone is breezing by this but AR decline into terribleness is the most likely outcome 

why isn't he good enough to stay in GB? Because Green Bay knows what he is. 

this idea he's going to recapture the MVP form of years ago is a fantasy 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, undertow said:

It cost the Jets a second round pick to move up 12 spots from 17 to 5 to take a QB the next year....pretty sure the price is different these days.

That trade with Mangini was well outside the norm.  One of Tanny's shining moments because the Jets royally shafted the Browns.  It was atypical.  I'd use it as an example of an oddity rather than a realistic possibility.  Oh those Mark Sanchez days.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't. 

I'm putting your abject nihilism on you.

You simply cannot expect your fellow fans, or the Jets themselves, to operate with the deep level of "doesn't matter what we do, everything we do will fail" nihilism than you possess these days.

You may hate every option, hate every player, hate every positive thought anyone might have.

That doesn't make your nihilism in any way valid, factually.

If I am in fact a nihilist, part of that is not asking anyone to believe anything 

You believe what you want, i'll go on record with my predictions and we'll see what happens

just like every other year 

I don't hate anyone by the way. Hate is a strong emotion, and has no place in nihilism 

The Big Lebowski Sleeping GIF by Tech Noir

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

NEAR Denver but not in?

Uh oh. Hopefully Aaron doesn't realize the Jets play in an entirely different state.

This was last year when Hacket was hired to coach Denver. Arod was with S. Woodley at that time, whom lived near Denver, and there was speculation he was going to be traded to Denver to reunite with Hackett, plus be close to Woodley. 

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That trade with Mangini was well outside the norm.  One of Tanny's shining moments because the Jets royally shafted the Browns.  It was atypical.  I'd use it as an example of an oddity rather than a realistic possibility.  Oh those Mark Sanchez days.

This price of trading up in the draft or trading for a QB has exploded over the past 15 years this isn't debatable and I could give you 30 examples if I wanted to take the time....comparing Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers trade value is mindless.

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

using that logic they shouldn't bring aboard Rodgers, they should look for a QB in round 6

Tom Brady is not a meaningful point of comparison. The dude is on every illegal PED known to man and he sells it as drinking alkaline water. 

Rodgers is 4 years younger than Brady but he looks 15 years older. 

Totally disagree.  Rodgers still looks like Rodgers 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is a stretch! Last year he was hurt, had no weapons and still threw 26 touchdowns. The year before he threw 37 touchdowns and 4 interceptions and won his second of back to back, MVPs. He has not shown yet that he is on the type of decline that would hurt our season. With today’s rules, he could play three more years at a very high-level no problem.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.  It's his ceiling, which likely won't be hit, and I don't think many fans are realistically expecting it.  To be fair, there are plenty of examples of recent all time great quarterbacks who have put together high level production at the tail end of their careers (Brady, Peyton, Favre, Elway, and yes even Rodgers himself).

Realistically, I think he can put together an above average year if healthy and while surrounded by one of the more talented squads around him since his Superbowl winning years.  Something like 4000 yards, 30 TD, 10 INT is a completely reasonable expectation.  He can still make all the throws from a physical standpoint (until proven otherwise), and he would be paired with the same OC which gave him some of the most productive years of his career.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If I am in fact a nihilist, part of that is not asking anyone to believe anything 

You believe what you want, i'll go on record with my predictions and we'll see what happens

just like every other year 

I don't hate anyone by the way. Hate is a strong emotion, and has no place in nihilism 

The Big Lebowski Sleeping GIF by Tech Noir

Nihilists don't make predictions. 

There is nothing to predict, and it wouldn't matter anyway if there was.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I used to work in Wall St, in the research department, and those guys would put a disclaimer on the bottom of every report: 

just because Aaron Rodgers was good for 18 years doesn't mean he will be good in year 19. Everyone is breezing by this but AR decline into terribleness is the most likely outcome 

"years ago" 

You say that as if it to imply it were a decade ago.

It was 2 years ago. You know, the last season he played without a broken thumb on his throwing hand when he had a legit NFL WR all year in Davante Adams.

Looking forward to G. Wilson destroying the NFL w/MVP Arod throwing to him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

This is a stretch! Last year he was hurt, had no weapons and still threw 26 touchdowns. The year before he threw 37 touchdowns and 4 interceptions and won his second of back to back, MVPs. He has not shown yet that he is on the type of decline that would hurt our season. With today’s rules, he could play three more years at a very high-level no problem.

People are acting like Rodgers threw for 1,200 yards 40% comp and 37 ints last season.  Statistically he still had a very good season with nothing to throw to

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Not to mention there probably is something to:

Rodgers without Hackett, Seattle without Russ

Easy questions:

• Do we think Rodgers could, at a minimum, run the offense and get the ball into people's hands?
    • If so, he is an upgrade.
  • Can Rodgers, more likely than not, do this for 17 games (not counting on post season)?
    • If so, he is an upgrade. 

Go all in, why not make it entertaining to watch it burn if it works, watch it burn up if doesn't...

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yet your entire nihilistic worldview in re: the Jets is entirely based on past performance.

P.S. I f'ing hate you for making ME, of all people, argue for the optimists worldview. 

Ya bas'tid. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

there's no room for well-reasoned logic in this discussion 

the fanbase is foaming at the mouth for positive offseason news

every year we win the offseason championship 

the real games, not so much 

what would our record have been with AR this past year?  bad thumb and all.