Jets resign Mcgovern

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Slightly worrisome in that they believed he'd get big money. Although that could just be the PR story that decided to go with.

He didn't get big money elsewhere because he's average at best, and everyone knows it. This is the most underrated position on the field and still needs to be upgraded long term for when Rodgers retires and we're back to square one/young. Short term with a veteran QB, I guess you can live with it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Center before the 4th/5th just fell off the table.

Disappointed honestly, McGovern isn't terribly good, and O-line is shaping up to be as bad, and as unreliable health-wise, as it was last year.

WR at #13 may be more of a possibility than I previously thought, seeing this.

More and more I think JD thinks the Oline is fine as-is, and it's not in need of material upgrade.  i.e. "The Jets have always believed this group is better than it showed last year".

Probably thinks they just need to stay healthy.  I think he's wrong, but it's his job on the line, not mine.

/shrug

DT might be the pick at 13 as well. The kid from Pitt if he’s on the board is an option  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Just a thought with this....Now Joe can stay at 13, if an OT is there (Jones?).  He can now move down from 42 & try to recoup the 3rd rounder that went to Cleveland...Possibly use that on a Center (Wypler?)

Connor Rogers @ConnorJRogers

I still think the Jets will look to draft a center but this gives them a bridge at the position where you don’t *have to* at 42/43

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It's going to be amazing to see how much better the offensive line will look with a competent QB and a QB/WR room that will make defenses pay for blitzing or stacking the box.  This opens the Jets up to go bpa early on in the draft.

Exactly. Zach had some of the worst pocket awareness I’ve ever seen. He’d start running backwards. This OLine is definitely “decent/good” and Rodgers will make it work

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jones was my preferred choice… But he’s close with some of our coaches and maybe he wants to return to the Titans or retire.

I’ll gladly take CMG over Jones. What doesn’t get talked about with Jones is his age and concussions. Big issues.

I think this has us look into a C that can play G as well now. Avila in round 2 just moved up my board. Tippman as well.

• Upvote 4

good move, we had a gaping hole there and McG played pretty average last year despite a vocal minority arguing he was - like the worst, like ever. You can get by w/average at C. Hopefully we still draft a C but nice not to have to have a gaping hole in case things go sideways on draft day. You can try to predict, but the nature of the beast is unpredictable.

as an aside - I've noticed JD tends to make moves ahead of moves. Could be the first shoe to drop.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Can still draft a center in the 2nd or 4th, for depth this year and as a replacement for next year.

Given the "Rodgers-All-In" theory for 2023, I don't see using a 2nd on a pure future-use reserve Center.

Same for the 4th, given our lack of picks (especially post-Rodgers trade where we likely lose one of our 2nds, minimum, in 2023).

With a 1, 2 and 4 being our only picks before the 5th, I think they'll use all of them on positions of real need for starting quality players.

LB, DT, WR (Maybe, hard to read JD on this with Davis still on the roster), not necessarily in that order. 

Given this move, I'm now more doubtful we look OT in the 1st or 2nd either.  Seems @Sperm Edwards was 100% right on this point.

As to health, I thing McGovern has been the healthiest O Lineman they have had over the last 2 years.

I believe you're right.  He's just not very good.  Average for the position at his best.

The signing also depends on money.   McGovern for 12 million, bad deal.   If it's a 5-6 million contract, good signing.

I don't get too worked up over the cap.  Players are either good or not, that's what matter to me.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's going to be amazing to see how much better the offensive line will look with a competent QB and a QB/WR room that will make defenses pay for blitzing or stacking the box.  This opens the Jets up to go bpa early on in the draft.

Couldn’t agree more. Our line is above average talent wise. Put a decent QB under center and they can show everyone how good they actually are.

Becton is such a wild card… if healthy (and in game shape) he could take them to another level.

• Upvote 2