Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

I definitely feel like we overpaid here.  The conditional #1 next year is way too easily obtainable at 65% of snaps.  Swapping #1's and giving them the higher #2 is annoying too.  Still not sure what leverage GB had in this situation.

That said, we'll be a much more interesting team the next 2 years (I'm counting on him playing for at least that long).  And if we're keeping Corey Davis (which it sounds like we are) then we don't need to draft or sign one.  Not sure what the deal is on the salary cap (how much GB is taking on).   Maybe it will allow us to fill another hole in FA?  Who knows.

Will be very interesting to see how JD handles the draft btw.  We have no 3rd rounder this year and, very likely, no 1st rounder next year.  I certainly wouldn't mind a trade down on Thursday.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Aaron-Rodgers-4-scaled.jpg

Aaron Rodgers is on his way to the New York Jets for what will likely be no more than two NFL seasons and the Green Bay Packers will be handsomely rewarded for moving on from an asset that they didn’t want in the first place.

Trade compensation, per sources:

Jets get:
?Aaron Rodgers, pick No. 15, a 2023 5th-rd pick (No. 170).

Packers get:
?Pick No. 13, a 2023 2nd-rd pick (No. 42), a 6th-rd pick (No. 207), a conditional 2024 2nd-rd pick that becomes a 1st if Rodgers plays 65 percent of the plays. pic.twitter.com/Q2vUMfyZGH

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 24, 2023

According to Schefter, the Jets will swap first round picks this season, dropping from 13th to 15th, a second-round pick this year (no. 42) and a first round pick next year if Rodgers plays just 65% of the snaps for Gang Green this season.  So barring a major injury to Rodgers, the Jets move down in round 1 while surrendering a 2 this year and likely a 1 next year.  The move down is also the equivalent of a fourth round choice.

There was speculation in recent weeks that the Packers were demanding a guaranteed first rounder next season which the Jets weren’t willing to part with.  But in the end, the Jets essentially guaranteed the Packers their first-round pick next season.

The post Packers Patience Pays off as Jets Cave to Demands in Deal for Aaron Rodgers appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Who Cares Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

We have Aaron Fing Rodgers...end of story!  MANY thought we were a QB away...we now have that QB.  If you want to complain that we gave up too much or he's old or whatever negative spin you want and continue to be a negative nancy, have at it...WE HAVE AARON ******* RODGERS AND I'M A HAPPY FAN...PERIOD!

Abso f’n mutely.

• Upvote 2

I was very high on JD, but this trade sucks - way too much to trade for a guy GB wanted to get rid of, has been a known trouble maker, and hasn't won in years with a pretty good coaching staff. He will def. play 65% of the offensive plays, so this is costing us a swap, a 2nd, and likely another first.

What happens if this bum decides to retire at the end of the year? If we don't win a SB this year it isn't worth the risk.

• Upvote 2

Really the trade is a second this year and most likely a first next year. It seems like a lot but there are important details we don't know. Did Rodgers say he wants to play two or more years as long as it isn't GB? What will a renegotiated contract look like? 

Even without knowing those details, maybe it is reasonable. What is a year, maybe more, of HOF QB play worth? Potentially worth a second round pick and a first round that could just as easily be another disaster like Becton or Wilson? 

If you've ever complained that this team doesn't make bold moves, isn't doing enough to compete, or needs to push all the chips in sometimes, you don't have have to love the trade but you shouldn't complain that they finally did what you want. Even if the trade isn't necessarily a win, it's the first time in a very long time that we'll get to watch high level QB from this team. I can't be that upset about it.

So basically the Jets are giving up two 2nd round picks for Rodgers. With potential to upgrade the 2024 pick to a first rounder. The key idea is the Jets will have a good season a big improvement over 7 Ws so the pick will be hopefully not that high. It’s a good deal looks like Jets picking up his entire contract but so far no word on that. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We also have a Ron of work to do if we’re a win now team and in possibly only in a 1 year window with no protection.

Better have some bigger moves coming.

Why are you on here crushing the Jets, while also trolling a Packers site telling them they won the trade but not by a ton? It's embarrassing. You're just as bad as these dummies that come on here and troll from other teams. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So basically the Jets are giving up two 2nd round picks for Rodgers. With potential to upgrade the 2024 pick to a first rounder. The key idea is the Jets will have a good season a big improvement over 7 Ws so the pick will be hopefully not that high. It’s a good deal looks like Jets picking up his entire contract but so far no word on that. 

We're giving up a 2nd this year and a 1st next year.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

They say the deal won't be completed for a day or two while they finalize the Financials. I have a feeling the Packers are paying much more than we thought. I think they bought the 2nd rd conditional pick instead of the 3rd.

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Three things....

I think the D got very lucky with the QB's we played last year.  Still a strong unit for sure...but I don't see a top 5 unit (top 10 for sure)

I think Rodgers showed serious decline last year - and am very concernded, as with most aging players, once they start declining - it's only accelerates

Yes - I'm happy it's done - it'll be exciting and of course I'll be rooting...

When all's said and done I just don't know why we gave up so much.  Makes no sense to have had to.

1) I agree that the defense will have a hard time matching last year. They were incredibly healthy last year.  But playing defense gets way easier when your team has a good offense that is controlling the ball and scoring points

2) AR 8 is getting older and less mobile but last year he had a fractured thumb he played through and very few offensive weapons. MVP two of the last three years. AR at 80-90% of what he was throws for 4000 yards and about 30 touchdowns.

3) I agree, I don’t understand why we gave up so much either. If we waited it out, we could’ve got him for a seventh rounder in July.

Though reportedly Rogers is committed to coming to all off-season activities- that’s big.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Really the trade is a second this year and most likely a first next year. It seems like a lot but there are important details we don't know. Did Rodgers say he wants to play two or more years as long as it isn't GB? What will a renegotiated contract look like? 

Even without knowing those details, maybe it is reasonable. What is a year, maybe more, of HOF QB play worth? Potentially worth a second round pick and a first round that could just as easily be another disaster like Becton or Wilson? 

If you've ever complained that this team doesn't make bold moves, isn't doing enough to compete, or needs to push all the chips in sometimes, you don't have have to love the trade but you shouldn't complain that they finally did what you want. Even if the trade isn't necessarily a win, it's the first time in a very long time that we'll get to watch high level QB from this team. I can't be that upset about it.

It all depends on how much money the packers are taking on... If the jets are really taking on more money like some are saying then it's absolutely pathetic... But you would expect that not to be the case and the packers paid for extra compensation 

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Why are you on here crushing the Jets, while also trolling a Packers site telling them they won the trade but not by a ton? It's embarrassing. You're just as bad as these dummies that come on here and troll from other teams. 

Bc it can be both. I can think we massively overpaid and also be excited we got him.

5 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

That sounds great but historically... I can't think of  team that traded for a QB over the age of 35 and it worked out well. Maybe the Broncos with Peyton but after that the Bronco's fell like a rock. So there is 1.  Are there others?  Good teams build through the draft and develop players. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I was very high on JD, but this trade sucks - way too much to trade for a guy GB wanted to get rid of, has been a known trouble maker, and hasn't won in years with a pretty good coaching staff. He will def. play 65% of the offensive plays, so this is costing us a swap, a 2nd, and likely another first.

What happens if this bum decides to retire at the end of the year? If we don't win a SB this year it isn't worth the risk.

You'd have to think that the jets have a wink wink deal that barring any serious injuries, he's committing to two seasons. I think the contract restructure will kind of tell us whats really going on.