OTAs standouts and duds

Bronx

Final OTAs

4 standouts and 1 dud from the NY Jets' final OTA practice of the spring

https://thejetpress.com/posts/4-standouts-1-dud-ny-jets-final-ota-practice-garrett-wilson/3

Standout: Jerome Kapp, WR, NY Jets

Every year in OTAs, there seems to be at least one undrafted player who begins to make waves. This year, one of those players is former Kutztown standout Jerome Kapp.

Kapp was one of just two players signed following a successful tryout at the Jets' rookie minicamp, and he's quickly made a strong first impression. Jets X Factor's Robby Sabo even likened him to Jets legend Wayne Chrebet.

Kapp was everywhere during Friday's practice, hauling in four catches in total. He didn't make any highlight reel grabs, but he showed off his strong hands and impressive route-running.

It's going to be difficult for Kapp to crack the 53-man roster, but he has an opportunity to stick around if he carries over his strong performances into the summer.

Standout: Jason Brownlee, WR, NY Jets

Kapp wasn't the only undrafted wide receiver to make an impact on Friday. Perhaps the Jets' most notable undrafted signing, Jason Brownlee made perhaps the play of the day with a one-handed grab in the end zone on a pass from Zach Wilson.

It was enough for Brownlee to earn a shoutout from Rodgers when the four-time MVP was speaking to the media after practice.

ESPN's Rich Cimini highlighted Brownlee as one UDFA to watch following his impressive performance this spring. It should be noted that the $246,000 the Jets guaranteed him is the fourth most any undrafted player received this year.

The Jets clearly have high hopes for Brownlee. Don't be surprised if he pushes Denzel Mims for that sixth wide receiver spot, especially seeing as though Mims was not present for OTAs this spring.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s as good as gone, as he should be.

It’s weird to me how Jets fans had such disdain for a guy like Stephen Hill but seemingly so many still have a soft spot for Mims.

Hill’s first game as a pro was far better than anything Mims has or will ever accomplish.

Mims is a much cooler name.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I thought it was Wilbert, who caught Lawson in the circle test. I read an article that Jermaine Johnson was given the first selection as team captain and he selected Will McD

McDonald beat him to a dummy QB or something 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one loves Mimsy time more then me but he is done here.  Less then 0% chance he makes the team.

JD gems jumping out the door like paratroopers. 

c130 paratroopers GIF

Mims (2nd), Becton (1st),  Wilson (1st), Melijah (2nd)

Thank you Joe Douglas,  thank you!

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

Sounds like Zach has problems specifically in the red zone.  Not good because the qb needs to be money in the part of the field.  My guess is he’s having trouble executing the play when there are so many players bunched up. Hard to say if this can be fixed.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Sounds like Zach has problems specifically in the red zone.  Not good because the qb needs to be money in the part of the field.  My guess is he’s having trouble executing the play when there are so many players bunched up. Hard to say if this can be fixed.

It’s almost like a new OC, a vet mentor, an improved OL and playmakers everywhere isn’t “fixing” Zach.  Weird.

@Hal N of Provo @Dunnie @johnnysd @T0mShane @jgb

• Upvote 1