1JD & Hard Knocks

Saleh gets more and more interesting and I am really confused which personality he really is.

the halftime speech I sat there and thought finally, the guy on the sidelines from  the 9ers. That was as far from the corp slogan guy as you get.

Personally I could do without the slogans and stories.

just really trying to figure out who he is.

now if they go 14-3 and get to a sb- no one cares

31 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Saleh gets more and more interesting and I am really confused which personality he really is.

the halftime speech I sat there and thought finally, the guy on the sidelines from  the 9ers. That was as far from the corp slogan guy as you get.

All hat no cattle?

9 minutes ago, slats said:
There have been studies that demonstrate that higher IQ people swear more than the less intelligent. I took note of that string of f-bombs, laughed at it, and had the impression that he was genuinely angry. It didn’t seem forced to me. 

I think those studies are ******* flawed

Seriously.. plenty of studies that say the opposite.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

mental mistakes & made sure to let all know Aaron Rodgers' patience will eventually run out & he'll snap. "He doesn't like throwing interceptions," Cobbs said, and if he can't trust you'll be in the right spot ... he's not going to throw it to you.
I'm guessing Rodgers was aware this scene was coming because when I asked him about his patience (unaware this was about to air), he said this:

"I think it naturally comes up as we go. I will say that there may have been some comments about me that I don’t know that are true anymore. You know, Cobby (Randall Cobb) said some things about how you got to watch out because you know eight’s going to snap at some point. I don’t feel like I’m the snapping type anymore. I mean, I’m going to raise my level of intensity, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to embarrass anybody. I don’t want to do that. I want to make guys feel like they’re a part of this and they’re going to get that respect and that kindness. There’s going to be accountability though for sure, and accountability is all in the preparation. I want guys to be thinking like a quarterback, I want guys to remember the little things we talked about in meetings. If I’m talking, if Hack’s (Nathaniel Hackett) talking, if your position coach is talking, we need to be taking notes, so we’re not making repeat mistakes from things we’ve talked about. So, that’s all going to continue to amp up. That’s how the season goes. There’s no do overs once it becomes live. So, we got to hold them accountable and keep trending in that direction." -

Made reference to this last week, but it rings true again: It's been really cool to see the type of ferocious player Quinnen Williams is between the lines, then how he just turns it off once he's off it. This dude is screaming and yelling "I'm him!" to anyone who will listen as he's tormenting Buccaneer linemen, then two seconds later off on the side genuinely upset because Mike Evans called him fat. We only see that bubbly Williams in press conference settings/locker room. It's cool to see his intense side, too. -

Fascinating how much analytics have entered the game. You had Breece Hall talking about hitting 23 miles per hour on the GPS, then Zach Wilson & Rodgers joking about him "maybe" hitting 17 on his long run against the Bucs (he hit 18.02, per NFL's NextGen stats). - Loved #HBO & #HK finally going the personal route with some guys you don't know much about — Tanzel Smart & Izzy Abanikanda. That's always what made me love the show back in the day. I think the biggest reason you're not seeing too much of it this year is the Jets' refusal to show players getting cut. It's hard to tell the "underdog" story when it's impossible to show the ending of it. -

I was very surprised at how much the show (likely by the Jets orders) brushed over the Dalvin Cook signing. They showed nothing of his visit, decision, debating the signing, etc. They basically just threw it in there as an add-on. Again: That's almost certainly because of what the Jets would/wouldn't let them have. -

I remember texting with Robert Saleh after his first season with the Jets. The year had just ended, and he was talking about the future of the team. One of the things he was telling me was EXACTLY what he told his team in this episode— the speech about survivors, competitors, commanders, etc. He and Joe Douglas were in the process of weeding out the former for the later. It's remarkable what those two men have done over the last few years. The Jets really are a team comprised of the right type of men who also happen to be pretty damn good at football.

This was some good reporting 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Even when they lose they never quit. His team always gives him effort. They play 60 minutes for him.  Gotta give him credit for that. 

Individually, He is still a one pitch motivator to me ( tough love) but he may have added another pitch, the slap and tickle.  (“I’m proud of Mekhi “)

To truly get through to players he needs to learn from Rodgers. Just sit down with them, find out what makes them tick and show them that they are a part of this. Rodgers may have accomplished more in 30 minutes by having lunch with Mekhi than Saleh did in 2 years 

the slogan stuff is just his style. Parcells was big on camp t-shirts with slogans. The jets painted his slogan in 4 foot high letters lol.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/19/2023 at 9:39 AM, Hal said:

MiLF was in over his head and assembled an inexperienced staff that was also in over their head.   

It was a nepotism hire that went bad.  Not a great look.  

He hired a guy who learned under Shanahan, who he had worked with and experience with.  Like most coordinators are hired.  Like HC hires you can’t always know how their leadership styles and teaching ability plays out.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I guess I'm old, but using the Fbomb every other sentence sounds forced and cringe worthy... Ii don't know, when Rex  did it, it was funnier and more natural.. To me, it shows lack of class when you use it every other word. Did you ever see the movie On the Waterfront? One of the greatest movies of all time, with no Fwords, even though its a movie about tough mob types.. Today, for a movie like that, every other word would be a curse. But when you have class actors like Brando snd Steiger with a class script, you don't need it... Yeah, im old...in age and attitude 

https://www.vidangel.com/?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Saleh is like a self help book but if you push him too far, he'll throw the book in your face. 

IMO, he's wants to teach you and guide you, not yell at you but he will if he you push him to that point. He gives you the benefit of the doubt and wants you to earn what you get. 

The speeches in the team meetings are what he believes in overall and wants to share that. He doesn't have to yell those while cursing at everyone. Those are his teaching moments. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I’m surprised they had very little on Becton. All those pancakes in the game made for a good redemption story. I wonder if he’s still bitter about how he perceives he’s been treated and might say things the Jets don’t want on air. 

I feel like he might be featured next episode now that he's starting at RT this next game. Gives it a little more finish to the story. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I’m surprised they had very little on Becton. All those pancakes in the game made for a good redemption story. I wonder if he’s still bitter about how he perceives he’s been treated and might say things the Jets don’t want on air. 

I am too - other than Rodgers, Becton is the most interesting story on the team. 

But I imagine there are players who "opt-out" of significant camera time. I could see Becky being one of those people - like David Harris.

Hope I'm wrong, though and he's the focal point of a future episode.

10 hours ago, tfine said:

When Zach’s teammates are wearing shirts with the picture of his narcissistic backup Qb on them who was 2-6 that was kinda humiliating. Shame on Saleh for even letting that happen. I get if your not playing well, but to have your teammates rub it and show you up takes it to a whole new level. Mike White didn’t even have the decency to say “guys just chill” he just went along with it. Lucky ARod is here to repair the damage…he finally has someone who believes in him and is one of the best to ever do it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Poor Zach. Give me a break. 

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I guess I'm old, but using the Fbomb every other sentence sounds forced and cringe worthy... Ii don't know, when Rex  did it, it was funnier and more natural.. To me, it shows lack of class when you use it every other word. Did you ever see the movie On the Waterfront? One of the greatest movies of all time, with no Fwords, even though its a movie about tough mob types.. Today, for a movie like that, every other word would be a curse. But when you have class actors like Brando snd Steiger with a class script, you don't need it... Yeah, im old...in age and attitude 

Football coaches cursing.  Shocking.  Not classy?  How is class relevant here?  Why does whatever we don’t like become forced?  Sounded more like someone really pissed, trying to let his audience get the message.  And it worked 

Making a comparison to a movie made in 1954 when movies were censored doesn’t really work here.  Brando and Steiger would have cursed up a storm if the movie was made today.  We have no idea that they didn’t off screen.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Yeah I strongly disagree with anyone that has a problem with the cursing.  As a coach you need to find the frequency of your football team.  What tone and style gets through to them the best and gets the most out of them.   If this is what Salah has found works best then it's what works best for THIS team.   

Also, I coached alot of High School ball and played Semi-Pro for a long time.  This is how 95% of the locker rooms I was ever in looked and sounded.  If there are a select few that don't respond to this style, those are the guys you go over to after a meeting and put your arm around them and explain your message in a way they understand.  Good football coaches and coaches in general have to learn to become a great psychologist as well.   

Keep it up coach !!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've defended the Cobb signing because of this exact reason, so it felt good to see the episode focusing on him being a mentor, but as you saw in the scrimmage, he can still make plays and I think he's someone that Rodgers can still rely on during 3rd down situations to be where he is supposed to be.  Also part of the reason I'm excited about Lazard.  Rodgers specifically told the Jets how much he loved Lazard as a player, teammate and person, so I think both of them could be more crucial part of the offense initially then we expect. 

Listening to Cobb tell WRs, in so many words, that they have to clean up their acts because Rodgers will really read them the riot act, lose trust and they won’t see the ball was worth his pay alone and a highlight of the show for me. 
Between that and his worth teaching the Jet WRs the offense.  

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Football coaches cursing.  Shocking.  Not classy?  How is class relevant here?  Why does whatever we don’t like become forced?  Sounded more like someone really pissed, trying to let his audience get the message.  And it worked 

Making a comparison to a movie made in 1954 when movies were censored doesn’t really work here.  Brando and Steiger would have cursed up a storm if the movie was made today.  We have no idea that they didn’t off screen.  

Saleh sounds forced. My point about On the  Waterfront is that they didn't need to curse to make it a compelling dialogue.. And when you do it every other sentence, it loses its effect, and yeah, it's classless

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, roscoeword said:

Saleh sounds forced. My point about On the  Waterfront is that they didn't need to curse to make it a compelling dialogue.. And when you do it every other sentence, it loses its effect, and yeah, it's classless

Saleh sounds exactly like anyone cursing.  For it to be forced we’d have to know he doesn’t normally curse around players, never did before HKs.  
The whole a 1954 movie didn’t need cursing is pointless because censorship didn’t allow it.  That movie made today would have looked and sounded differently but movies are also censored today also, but more the point, HKs isn’t a movie, it’s a view into a football team.  I like that we see what our HC is like, love that he lit up the OL and the O.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've defended the Cobb signing because of this exact reason, so it felt good to see the episode focusing on him being a mentor, but as you saw in the scrimmage, he can still make plays and I think he's someone that Rodgers can still rely on during 3rd down situations to be where he is supposed to be.  Also part of the reason I'm excited about Lazard.  Rodgers specifically told the Jets how much he loved Lazard as a player, teammate and person, so I think both of them could be more crucial part of the offense initially then we expect. 

Cobb is an excellent vet mentor and seems like a good dude 

Just wish he didn’t cost 3M

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Don’t we usually see some behind the scene stuff with the GM and personnel decisions on HK? I know they’re not going to be coloring players getting released but we haven’t seen JD once yet!

It’s the only interesting part of the show really. Coaches behind the scenes talking positional battles. It’s the only “real” type of stuff you’re going to get other than the actual play on the field. It’s been pretty boring overall.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

2023 On The Waterfront

Remember that &*$#ing night Charlie? You $%^ing said 'kid, this ain't your &*^ing night."

Not my f*&$ing night?!  I could have *&*ed Wilson up!  You were my f*#$ing brother Charlie!  You should have *&$%ing taken care of me,

I could have been a f*$#ing contender, instead of a f*$#ing bum, which is what I f*&%ing am. FU Charlie!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

smh Saleh on HN:

"Because that Giants-Jets preseason game is like a real game, you know"

Guess he wants that Snoopy trophy like Rex did.

He clearly was referring to the fans and that the starters playing in game 3.  The 1,000,000th Snoopy Bowl reference is lazy.  And there’s a K in Knocks, not a N😁