Jets Panthers game day thread..... Beautiful downtown Charlotte NC

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

yessir...our dline seems like a terror cell top to bottom....they're gonna have like 75 sacks they have to dole out to a whole bunch of pass rushers playing like 20-25% of the snaps! We could have 2 or 3 pass rushers with the most 'sacks per snap' of anyone in the nfl.

Last year we were tied with Buffalo for the most pressures while also topping the league in non-blitzes. Our front 4 get it done all by themselves....I remember when Quinnen was PISSED at coaching staff for calling a blitz.

Our D is going to be the most fun to watch since the Sack Exchange. Can't wait!

• Upvote 1

Consistent pass rush pressure is going to lead to a steady diet of quick screen passes, draw plays and running plays (or dead quarterbacks).  Linebackers need to be ready for what is going to be funneled in their direction.  Good problem to have but a problem nonetheless.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Omg dude he looked very good. He had like what 10/12 125 yards and a TD what more do you want

None of those passes traveled 4 yards past the LOS. 

Had two bad drive killers when he missed Conklin with that hitched side arm throw and also throwing easy flat pass over Abikanda’s head. Also didn’t lead Hardman enough in the end zone, he had a step .

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Had two bad drive killers when he missed Conklin with that hitched side arm throw and also throwing easy flat pass over Abikanda’s head. Also didn’t lead Hardman enough in the end zone, he had a step .

So, Zach Wilson does exactly what every Jets fan asked him to do last year and Jets fans still complaining. What a dumb ass fan base. We don’t deserve this team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

What a dumb ass fan base. We don’t deserve this team. 

To be fair, there was a time, really multiple times that we didn't deserve the really pathetic teams either; longest streak without a playoff win, one Super Bowl over 50 years ago; Kotite, the guy from college who brought in fight songs and traded Riggens because of the Mohawk - can't remember his name and some of the worst starting QBs ever. Through all of this, the fans came out, sold out stadiums and watched the bad product - I am pretty sure I didn't deserve that :-)

But, I agree with you, once the board, or members of the board, turn on a player, nothing they do will ever make a difference.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Was the Conklin pass the double clutch?  He froze him and then threw it.  It literally acted like a pump fake on a defender. 

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

I think that was more on the OG…

Yes?  

I don't know if I can tell for sure, but it certainly seemed more like a communication error than anything else.  It's not like he got bull rushed or beaten by a speed rush. 

23 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

To be fair, there was a time, really multiple times that we didn't deserve the really pathetic teams either; longest streak without a playoff win, one Super Bowl over 50 years ago; Kotite, the guy from college who brought in fight songs and traded Riggens because of the Mohawk - can't remember his name and some of the worst starting QBs ever. Through all of this, the fans came out, sold out stadiums and watched the bad product - I am pretty sure I didn't deserve that :-)

But, I agree with you, once the board, or members of the board, turn on a player, nothing they do will ever make a difference.

You forgot Lou Holtz?  He is probably the most famous person associated with the Jets between Namath and Rodgers.  I guess maybe Favre or Parcells. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Well, except for playing well. 

* For a 2023 Pro QBs standards 

Important to add that caveat, because Wilson is indeed improving out there but not nearly enough to meet the above standard.  

He’s getting better at the most boring version of himself he can be which will prove useful since he’s the QB2 regardless.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

You must be a younger fan.  Because those of us who lived through the Lou Holtz era, who watched him quit on his team mid-season, and then go on to win multiple Nattys at Notre Dame will never forget him, but not for good reasons.

Lou Holtz's Last Foray Into Politics Didn't Go So Well

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* For a 2023 Pro QBs standards 

Important to add that caveat, because Wilson is indeed improving out there but not nearly enough to meet the above standard.  

He’s getting better at the most boring version of himself he can be which will prove useful since he’s the QB2 regardless.  

Yeah he was drafted #2 overall I expect a decent starter. I’m just a H8R though.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Was the Conklin pass the double clutch?  He froze him and then threw it.  It literally acted like a pump fake on a defender. 

Yes?  

I don't know if I can tell for sure, but it certainly seemed more like a communication error than anything else.  It's not like he got bull rushed or beaten by a speed rush. 

You forgot Lou Holtz?  He is probably the most famous person associated with the Jets between Namath and Rodgers.  I guess maybe Favre or Parcells. 

Yes, Holtz - thank you.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

You must be a younger fan.  Because those of us who lived through the Lou Holtz era, who watched him quit on his team mid-season, and then go on to win multiple Nattys at Notre Dame will never forget him, but not for good reasons.

Lou Holtz's Last Foray Into Politics Didn't Go So Well

Sadly I am not a younger fan - I am so old that I couldn't remember his name.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Yep - that is funny - but when a player gets into the dog house - good play isn't enough - even great play isn't enough. Often times they have to be perfect.

Examples of when “great play” has resulted in Jets fans refusing to embrace a player.

8 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Gastineau? Mevis? (to a degree)

Gastineau is such a unique case. No internet back then but he had great fan support in the season that he left the team. He was rebuilding his narrative before walking away. Now he walked away when Brigitte got cancer, so no judgement from me. Just stating how it went down.

That was my first year as a season ticket holder and he was having a good season.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Gastineau is such a unique case. No internet back then but he had great fan support in the season that he left the team. He was rebuilding his narrative before walking away. Now he walked away when Brigitte got cancer, so no judgement from me. Just stating how it went down.

That was my first year as a season ticket holder and he was having a good season.

Judge players based on how they play rather than trying to deduce what kind of human being they are from incomplete information.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Very hard to forget the late hit on Kosar. We were SB bound.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

He had 8 or 9 sacks after coming back from an injury when he left the team.

I dont fault him. Thats how he felt at the time mistake or not he made his choice.

The one play people like to bring up with Kosar is not fair. What about all the other plays he made to help get them there? They dont count?

The game should not have been that close to make it a pivotal play.

The poor guy had (has?) deep rooted psychological issues from being horribly abused as a child which I have no doubt led to his off field problems.

Mark is an all time Jet great.

Sorry for the hijack.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Examples of when “great play” has resulted in Jets fans refusing to embrace a player.

ZW played extremely well in these last couple of games. No turnovers, high completion rate, stepping around pocket during some blown pass protection. What do we hear? What is this side arm crap (he had to throw around a rusher in his face). He should have led more on that TD pass. He is only taking the short drop offs (he was progressing through his reads and didn't find anything deep). Big deep ball in first game - ball placement sucks. Pat fans would have killed if Mac Jones played that well. Trevor's first play this season was a pick, but ZW sucks. He isn't even qualified to be a backup.... he may not make it as a QB, but his last two games he played well, but the nay sayers...

The same can be said about Becton.

The same can be said about other players through the years - but, yeah, there are no haters here. 

• Upvote 1