Zach Continues to Improve - PLAJ

Dunnie

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's fine, but understand that opportunity cost is why we go ape sh*t on this topic.  Zach Wilson is trying to figure out the basics of the game after the Jets used # 2 overall pick capital on him and missed out on the likes of Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Devonta Smith, Rashawn Slater, Micah Parsons, Patrick Surtain II, Kyle Pitts and Justin Fields.  Could have also traded down for a huge package of picks and STILL maybe gotten one of those guys listed.

Again, it wasn't his fault he was picked # 2 overall.  But where are we supposed to direct our anger?  Douglas has done a fine job otherwise and QB is the hardest position in pro sports at which to project performance.  But it was still an enormous miss and it gets pretty annoying that we have to be told to be patient and that he's "rebuilding himself", blah blah blah. 

If he was midround prospect we wouldn't care.  But he has a contract worth over $30M and we get screamed at by his defenders on the regular that there's no real foundation for our hate.  Really?  Watch Ja'Marr Chase play and go tell me there's no foundation for the hate.  We got Ryan Leaf in a loaded draft class, and have PLENTY of reasons to be pissed.  If Zach Wilson turns his career around, meanwhile, it will be with another franchise.  Not the Jets.  Complete waste of draft capital.

I was watching the Colorado game yesterday thinking how disgusting those defenses were. Every pass to the flat went for 50+ yards then I remembered that these two defenses are better than anything Zach Wilson ever faced in college.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

That's fine, but understand that opportunity cost is why we go ape sh*t on this topic.  Zach Wilson is trying to figure out the basics of the game after the Jets used # 2 overall pick capital on him and missed out on the likes of Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Devonta Smith, Rashawn Slater, Micah Parsons, Patrick Surtain II, Kyle Pitts and Justin Fields.  Could have also traded down for a huge package of picks and STILL maybe gotten one of those guys listed.
Again, it wasn't his fault he was picked # 2 overall.  But where are we supposed to direct our anger?  Douglas has done a fine job otherwise and QB is the hardest position in pro sports at which to project performance.  But it was still an enormous miss and it gets pretty annoying that we have to be told to be patient and that he's "rebuilding himself", blah blah blah. 
If he was midround prospect we wouldn't care.  But he has a contract worth over $30M and we get screamed at by his defenders on the regular that there's no real foundation for our hate.  Really?  Watch Ja'Marr Chase play and go tell me there's no foundation for the hate.  We got Ryan Leaf in a loaded draft class, and have PLENTY of reasons to be pissed.  If Zach Wilson turns his career around, meanwhile, it will be with another franchise.  Not the Jets.  Complete waste of draft capital.
"I was in [Zach Wilson's] position and, 21 years later, retired from the league. Who's to say he can't play in the league for a long time at a high level?"

- Vinny Testaverde

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

if Love sucks then their whole narrative of that Rodgers is a great mentor and will mentor Zach to be a FQB will get thrown out the window. 
i said that in another thread and someone told me Rodgers didnt like Love. i guess Rodgers didnt tell Love the "good plays" .... sound familiar? lol
I have read exactly zero articles declaring Rodgers as a mentor to Love... Quite the opposite ... I read that Rodgers threw a fit when Love was drafted.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dunnie said:

I have read exactly zero articles declaring Rodgers as a mentor to Love... Quite the opposite ... I read that Rodgers threw a fit when Love was drafted.

so he sat next to Rodgers for 4 years in the QB room and Rodgers told him nothing? yeah i know he didnt want him drafted but that had nothing to do with the kid, he should be mad at the GM. 

after what we have seen of Rodgers being such a nice , cool guy i doubt he took it out on Love. there is no way Rodgers was a bad teammate to him and didnt teach him anything.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas' biggest mistake in his Jets' tenure was not ensuring that they got the # 1 overall pick in 2021, and his 2nd biggest mistake was compounding that by thinking Wilson would be an adequate consolation prize.  Not even close.

Could not agree more. Newbie mistake on his part? Who knows. And yet if they make a nice run this year he survives.

• Upvote 2

Geno Smith is a good example of a QB that played on 1 year back up deals and waited for his opportunity and then played on a 1 year prove it starter deal.

how delusional do you have to be not to understand that Saleh and JD have been saying since the week after the reset debacle last year and have never said anything else, that Zach is part of the plan ? Even Rodgers has said it. 

I guess some people are just terrified of being wrong on a message board? 🤷‍♂️

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was watching the Colorado game yesterday thinking how disgusting those defenses were. Every pass to the flat went for 50+ yards then I remembered that these two defenses are better than anything. Zach Wilson ever faced in college.

TCU is the ‘85 Bears compared to the cream puffs ZW was facing in his COVID year 

Colorado has some legit ballers

Travis Hunter and Edwards look like studs 

Sanders is going to go high in the draft 

The Jets should buy low on Spencer Rattler to prepare for when Rodgers hangs it up in 2 or 3 years 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Geno Smith is a good example of a QB that played on 1 year back up deals and waited for his opportunity and then played on a 1 year prove it starter deal.

how delusional do you have to be not to understand that Saleh and JD have been saying since the week after the reset debacle last year and have never said anything else, that Zach is part of the plan ? Even Rodgers has said it. 

I mean what else are they gonna say?

As long as any player is still on the roster, 1JD is going to talk them up as if they are the next Dan Marino, Mike Singletary, or Wayne Chrebet story or whatever…

I mean they don’t love ZW more than they love keeping their jobs.

• Upvote 2

This team is on the brink of one of the best season this franchise ever had, at least on paper, but all any one wants to discuss is the freaking back up QB. The OP uses fan created podcast to illustrate his point. Really? They know about the same as anyone on this forum, which isn’t much.

Newsflash, Zach has a long way to go to be an average QB in this league. He might be going in the right direction but who cares? Why in blue blazes bring it up? The Jets have Aaron effen Rodgers. 

What is wrong with this fanbase?

13 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

TCU is the ‘85 Bears compared to the cream puffs ZW was facing in his COVID year 

Colorado has some legit ballers

Travis Hunter and Edwards look like studs 

Sanders is going to go high in the draft 

The Jets should buy low on Spencer Rattler to prepare for when Rodgers hangs it up in 2 or 3 years 

Rattler is supposed to be a humungous a$$hole. Agree on the rest

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

In a perfect world we see both Rodgers and the defense play to their respective ceilings, meaning Zach can get 7-8 quarters worth of mop up duty with a start thrown in late in the year.

An odd #SquadGoal for the upcoming year but you do you.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Claymation said:

This team is on the brink of one of the best season this franchise ever had, at least on paper, but all any one wants to discuss is the freaking back up QB. The OP uses fan created podcast to illustrate his point. Really? They know about the same as anyone on this forum, which isn’t much.

Newsflash, Zach has a long way to go to be an average QB in this league. He might be going in the right direction but who cares? Why in blue blazes bring it up? The Jets have Aaron effen Rodgers. 

What is wrong with this fanbase?

Bust talk aside:  Him being one injury away from putting a QB who is a "long way to go to be average" under center seems like a topic of discussion, no?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Umm, there was a senate hearing where US officials confirmed mechanical and biological recoveries of non human origin. Interestingly they are not 100% certain they are extra terrestrial 

Then they would've had to get here before their transmissions. I don't think Einstein was wrong. But sure, "it's possible."

3 hours ago, Hal said:

You had a string of a guys back out after you won.  

Of course they did. Which is why I will only do charity bets with QB sycophants. Too much effort to chasing them down to pay and then I can point out they are screwing over a charity by their ridiculous behavior. We al know they would never pay "the big ole meanie whose bad vibes ruined the QB." 

3 hours ago, Hal said:

We have active: Zach top 16 QBR as a Jet: Yes - you pay 25 to the Red Cross.  No I pay 50.

That top 16 was for 2022, no?  I think you already lost.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

"I was in [Zach Wilson's] position and, 21 years later, retired from the league. Who's to say he can't play in the league for a long time at a high level?"

- Vinny Testaverde

We've been through this my man.  All of your examples are guys from like 30+ years ago when they were playing a completely different game.  Meanwhile, I have dozens of DeShone Kizer's in the post-Ty-Law-Rule-era (2005-present) at my disposal.  You won't win that one. 

My argument isn't that its impossible.  Only that its extremely improbable, and that if it does happen, it'll be with another franchise.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

i once heard Aarron Boone when asked why he was still playing Joey Gallo who was batting around 190 and he said " you cant see all the good things hes does" 2 weeks later he got traded. we all remember the famous " Jamal Adams will be a Jet for life" . you know better than to believe anything GM/HC says but you keep bringing it up like its some sort of proof he will be here in 2025.

there is no way JD/Saleh can be wrong again for a 3rd time on Zach Wilson. 

if Zach Wilson is the QB in 2025 and sucks how can Woody trust that JD can draft a QB in 2026? after having Zach under his own roof for 5 years he still couldn't identify if Zach was a FQB, how the hell can we except he can identify one in the draft.?

its better for JD for his job to sign a FA in 2025 and draft one in 2026.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas' biggest mistake in his Jets' tenure was not ensuring that they got the # 1 overall pick in 2021, and his 2nd biggest mistake was compounding that by thinking Wilson would be an adequate consolation prize.  Not even close.

They did everything right all yr, then last two games decided to play fing heros like it was winning the superbowl NOT to have number 1 pick. And that was a HUGE #1..,considering the gap between Lawrence and Zack. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, pointman said:

Rodgers plays 4 years. Wins us 2 championships. Says he wants to come back for a fifth but decided to retire because "Zach... he's ready". Zach comes in and changes his number to honor Jet great, #8 AARon Rodgers. Goes on to have an amazing career here where we debate who was the greatest Jet QB of all time. 

That actually sounds too good to be true.

• Sympathy 1

Rodgers plays 4 years. Wins us 2 championships. Says he wants to come back for a fifth but decided to retire because "Zach... he's ready". Zach comes in and changes his number to honor Jet great, #8 AARon Rodgers. Goes on to have an amazing career here where we debate who was the greatest Jet QB of all time. 
This is a realistic outcome... And I love it.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They did everything right all yr, then last two games decided to play fing heros like it was winning the superbowl NOT to have number 1 pick. And that was a HUGE #1..,considering the gap between Lawrence and Zack. 

I did NOT want us to tank for Trevor.  However knowing what I know now, we should have TANKED big time.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Forgetting everything else—the talent, the level of competition, the athletic testing, etc—what I want to know is how Douglas talked to Zach for five minutes and concluded that this preemie-ass Utahn effete sheltered goober twink mush ponce was ever going to make it in the NY/NJ metro area. If I lived in midtown and Zach was my cousin, I wouldn’t even let him come to NYC as a tourist because he’d end up getting fleeced by one of those double-decker bus scam artists outside Grand Central. 

Because Woody stepped in and who Zach’s uncle is. It was an arranged marriage from the start. It’s precisely why they’re gaslighting us with this “reset.” 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, doitny said:

if Love sucks then their whole narrative of that Rodgers is a great mentor and will mentor Zach to be a FQB will get thrown out the window. 

i said that in another thread and someone told me Rodgers didnt like Love. i guess Rodgers didnt tell Love the "good plays" .... sound familiar? lol

I don't think you can really compare how Love fares as being indicative of how Zack will fare. Zack has already experienced 2 seasons of play and seeing things like being totally shut down by a BB defense while Love has had minimal live play and still has to face all the wrinkles that NFL defenses will throw at him.

Rodgers sounded sincere and positive when asked a month or two back about expecting very good things from Love this season.  This SI article just came out talking further on this and if you read between the lines you don't get the same sense he treated Jordan as he's now treating Zack in being a big brother type figure in his mentoring.  : https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/exclusive-aaron-rodgers-details-advice-to-jordan-love

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You play to win the game……… said some has been.    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

I don't think you can really compare how Love fares as being indicative of how Zack will fare. Zack has already experienced 2 seasons of play and seeing things like being totally shut down by a BB defense while Love has had minimal live play and still has to face all the wrinkles that NFL defenses will throw at him.

Rodgers sounded sincere and positive when asked a month or two back about expecting very good things from Love this season.  This SI article just came out talking further on this and if you read between the lines you don't get the same sense he treated Jordan as he's now treating Zack in being a big brother type figure in his mentoring.  : https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/exclusive-aaron-rodgers-details-advice-to-jordan-love

the narrative from the Zach fan club is that he will take over in 2 years. thats 2 years sitting on the bench and not playing. im not sure how much of that 2 years experience he is going to remember. in fact it might be best it he forgot those 2 years cause almost all of it was bad. it would almost be like starting new which will put him and Love on the same level. 

you might be right about him liking Zach better but that brings up the whole thing we use to say about Milf only calling the good plays for Mike White. Rodgers had to teach things to Love in those 4 years. but what? he didnt teach him everything but now for Zach he is opening up the vault of all his knowledge? i dont buy that. especially when Love is your backup and you dont want him not prepared to be the best so he could win a game or 2 if Rodgers got injured. 

im guessing thats what all QBs at the end of their career do to their young backups who they are grooming to replace them. 

• Upvote 1