Why Was Sanchez Yelling For The Jets To NOT Score?!!

13 minutes ago, Really, Jets said:

Is he serious?!! First and goal from the 8, and trailing 14-12... Do you really want to kick a FG and give Philly the ball back w 45 seconds left, needing a FG to win? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure there is disagreement.

It's pretty universal that you should down it at the one, burn the clock down, then score the TD or FG, so the opponent (down in this case by only 6) has as little a chance as possible to score their own TD in the time left.  Announcers will raise this every single time the situation arises, and while technically right, it's a mindset I personally have never believed it myself.

Basically Jets up by 1 with 10-20 seconds left is presumed to be better than the Jets up by 5 (or 6) with almost 2 minutes left.  Or so conventional NFL wisdom would say.

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

The right move would have been to take a knee at the 1 yard line. That would have forced the eagles to use a time out or at worst the Jets could have taken time off the clock with 2 plays from the 1 to score a TD.

makes sense?

We're talking about the Jets here.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Really, Jets said:

Is he serious?!! First and goal from the 8, and trailing 14-12... Do you really want to kick a FG and give Philly the ball back w 45 seconds left, needing a FG to win? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure there is disagreement.

You run down the clock and score a FG.  A win is a win, let's enjoy it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It’s not even debateable.  It was a horrible move by the eagles to let us score a td.  Coach is a moron.

it was after the 2 minute warning. I think that makes a YOOG difference

You’re ok with a 1 point lead and the eagles have a minute to go? I’m not 

surely you’re not assuming a TD on 3rd and goal. 

• Upvote 4

He was trying so hard all game long to prove how oh so football smart he is. He sounded like he was a at a party trying to impress.
He was also dissing  G Wilson at the very beginning the game but I missed the gist of it. Anybody catch that? Something about padding stats?

he can take his salmon and go home 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I thought that at first and if the Jets are up you absolutely take a knee. 

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Take the TD say thank you and turn it over to your defense

In which Saleh had 💯per cent confidence 

Just now, fusionCA said:

this is only right if the Eagles dont have time outs

they eagles had them , so it was either up by 6 with 1:45 left in the game or up by 1 with 1:00 to go in the game

i will take being up by 6 every single time 

Up by 6 with 1:45 and the Eagles with 2 timeouts

vs.

Up by 6 or 1 with 1:00 and the Eagles with no timeouts.

Again, I said quite clearly it's not a "conventional NFL wisdom" mentally I particularly agree with, and I'm not advocating that Hall did anything wrong whatsoever.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's pretty universal that you should down it at the one, burn the clock down, then score the TD or FG, so the opponent (down in this case by only 6) has as little a chance as possible to score their own TD in the time left.  Announcers will raise this every single time the situation arises, and while technically right, it's a mindset I personally have never believed it myself.

Basically Jets up by 1 with 10-20 seconds left is presumed to be better than the Jets up by 5 (or 6) with almost 2 minutes left.  Or so conventional NFL wisdom would say.

That is normally true. But Zach Wilson has worst red zone % in NFL history. Knowing the jets wouldn’t risk letting him throw there, they would stack the run and FG would be likely.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1