Becton has a message

Bronx

54 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol yeah dude, he's been injured and had REALLY bad luck so far. Not a reason to sh*t on him. 

Dude pointed to his thigh pad, made a money sign and now he's a greedy a$$hole who wants an undeserved contract? You're just making sh*t up now. 

As I said, pathological hatred makes people say stupid things. 

I may be misreading this. Are you saying that he deserves a contract based on 20 games?

54 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

The pick in the 1st round has to be either an OT, a WR, a DT, or if there's a stud S available.  There should be no thoughts of taking a QB.

Rodgers will be the starter next season and if Zach doesn't continue to improve, they can bring in a quality backup for Rodgers, and then draft a developmental QB in a lower round.

I'm going to beg to differ on DT.  Normally I would agree but you have to give credit to JD that he's had success finding quality in FA (first Rankins, and now Jefferson).  I don't think he needs to spend a high pick on DT, maybe a Day 2-3 pipeline pick...

High Risk...Missing cartilage, missing football years as a Jet,  blames the front office for his continued knee issues...I would only sign him to a 1 -2 year deal. Otherwise take the compensatory pick and spend the money on other oline options. We need at least one new tackle on a rookie deal. AVT, a talent now joins Becton in the risk area.

16 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

High Risk...Missing cartilage, missing football years as a Jet,  blames the front office for his continued knee issues...I would only sign him to a 1 -2 year deal. Otherwise take the compensatory pick and spend the money on other oline options. We need at least one new tackle on a rookie deal. AVT, a talent now joins Becton in the risk area.

He’s 99% not signing with the Jets. It’s franchise tag or he’s gone. I just don’t see it happening with the chip that he has on his shoulder, even despite the amazing locker room and possible success this year. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s 99% not signing with the Jets. It’s franchise tag or he’s gone. I just don’t see it happening with the chip that he has on his shoulder, even despite the amazing locker room and possible success this year. 

He’s played 6 games lol. Can we get through half of the year first before we make any proclamations? It’s not like other teams don’t know he was an out of shape disaster the past two seasons or that this is a contract year. 

• Upvote 1

He’s played 6 games lol. Can we get through half of the year first before we make any proclamations? It’s not like other teams don’t know he was an out of shape disaster the past two seasons or that this is a contract year. 
If the Jets don't tender him he will be unemployed for about 5 minutes. LT's with his size and ability don't grow on trees.

Just now, bicketybam said:
32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets don't tender him he will be unemployed for about 5 minutes. LT's with his size and ability don't grow on trees.

Can we see him play a season first? The best part of Bectons season so far is we haven’t talked about him. He’s been OK. Not good, not bad. He’s been Ok. Our fanbase never turns down an opportunity to double down on delusional. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah, it’s the growing thing after he gets his second contract would be the concern. 

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Extension for Huff… Transitional Tag for Becton. Keeps him motivated for another year. Tag again the following year if JD hasn’t found his replacement in the next draft.

cant tag him twice. i mean you can but that 2nd tag is a ridiculous amount of money. 

tag him once and then sign him or let him go. 

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

cant tag him twice. i mean you can but that 2nd tag is a ridiculous amount of money. 

tag him once and then sign him or let him go. 

Well, not to mention he's been fine, not omg wowza. I'm happy to give him a longer leash to see how much better he gets, after missing not just the last 2 seasons but also being on a very limited pitch count this summer, too.

I don't know that he's yet worth one franchise tag, let alone two, outside of pure desperation. If Mitchell gets his own act straightened out then that'd go a long way to making Becton's return welcome but not absolutely imperative. There's also the chance it's a take the money & run if he makes it through the whole season, instead of automatically expecting this to be his new baseline going forward, both in terms of on-field play and frankly just being on the field.

If he can be had for a reasonable amount there's a good chance it won't happen here, allowing he's still harboring a grudge against this team and/or coaching staff. 

Or they could just transition tag him once, if he does make it through the whole season. We wouldn't get a pick back, but we'd get first refusal to match the actual top offer instead of bidding against ourselves, and it saves a few million over the franchise tag (no one's trading a 1st rounder, or close to that, let alone two, for the privilege of paying Becton like a first team all-pro).

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, not to mention he's been fine, not omg wowza. I'm happy to give him a longer leash to see how much better he gets, after missing not just the last 2 seasons but also being on a very limited pitch count this summer, too.

I don't know that he's yet worth one franchise tag, let alone two, outside of pure desperation. If Mitchell gets his own act straightened out then that'd go a long way to making Becton's return welcome but not absolutely imperative. There's also the chance it's a take the money & run if he makes it through the whole season, instead of automatically expecting this to be his new baseline going forward, both in terms of on-field play and frankly just being on the field.

If he can be had for a reasonable amount there's a good chance it won't happen here, allowing he's still harboring a grudge against this team and/or coaching staff. 

Or they could just transition tag him once, if he does make it through the whole season. We wouldn't get a pick back, but we'd get first refusal to match the actual top offer instead of bidding against ourselves, and it saves a few million over the franchise tag (no one's trading a 1st rounder, or close to that, let alone two, for the privilege of paying Becton like a first team all-pro).

agreed.

this fan base has to come to terms to the fact that we cant pay everyone. to many good guys are coming up in the next few years to be into a big contract with a guy like Becton.

not to mention the fact that very few teams throw that kind of money on one OL. not to mention we have a QB who is going to cost cap space in 25 and 26. 

Mitchell or the new guy Warren can hopefully fill that spot. or draft someone. were gonna have to find a cheaper option and probably can.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, The Crusher said:
Yeah, it’s the growing thing after he gets his second contract would be the concern. 

Understandable for sure. But if the Jets don't tender him, some team will offer him a multiple year deal. Book it.

Yea, but doesn’t mean it’s the right move. Time will tell. 

I won't argue that either. But he will get a contract from another team. The Jets just can't offer him some middling 2 year deal. They will get out bid. They have to tag him if they want to keep him. That's my point and that was the gamble JD made when he didn't pick up his option.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:
6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I won't argue that either. But he will get a contract from another team. The Jets just can't offer him some middling 2 year deal. They will get out bid. They have to tag him if they want to keep him. That's my point and that was the gamble JD made when he didn't pick up his option.

Absolutely, no one can argue kid could use a change of scenery. Might be best fur both teams honestly. Who knows? 

56 minutes ago, doitny said:

agreed.

this fan base has to come to terms to the fact that we cant pay everyone. to many good guys are coming up in the next few years to be into a big contract with a guy like Becton.

not to mention the fact that very few teams throw that kind of money on one OL. not to mention we have a QB who is going to cost cap space in 25 and 26. 

Mitchell or the new guy Warren can hopefully fill that spot. or draft someone. were gonna have to find a cheaper option and probably can.

I'm not saying they can't extend him. Just that he's a long way from sniffing being worth somewhere in the $20MM+/year range. 

If Mitchell doesn't improve - or frankly, if he doesn't get to show it and they bench him for Brown - then Becton's value to the team rises dramatically. 

Look at it this way: discounting Rodgers because his $ is there but just being pushed off for longer, these guys are still making less than average starter $ (or cap hit) next year:

1. Sauce
  2. G.Wilson
  3. AVT
  4. Tippmann
  5. Conklin and/or Ruckert
  6. Breece
  7. MC2
  8. Quincy W
  9. JJII
  10. Mitchell, if he's more than just temporarily penciled in as starter
  11. Lazard
  12. Tony Adams if he becomes a full-time starter

That's half the starting roster right there. Counting/making slightly above average (but not elite) starter $ and/or cap hit?

1. JFM
  2. Reed

Elite $ and/or cap hit:

1. Mosley (worst financial crime this side of Trumaine Johnson...and Jamal Adams)
  2. Quinnen W
  3. Rodgers (but not by much, seeing how other well-regarded veteran starters now are at $20MM/year more than his $35MM, though Zach's cap hit closes that gap by half).
  4. Tomlinson (a $19MM hit is pretty elite $ for a guard)

Even if they don't cut anybody currently under contract for '24, with the exception of Lawson, that'll be about $20MM in dead cap. Don't discount that they can - and surely will - restructure 2-3 of them if kept. Further keep in mind no matter what extension they might extend to Huff, it won't be a heavy hitter in year 1 of the new deal. Sure it'll rise later, as will it for others who need extensions themselves soon, but the cap is going to rise plenty. 

They will definitely have some room to play, but they have plenty enough to offer veteran contracts to Becton, Huff, a WR, and another safety. Also the idea is at least one of those should come from next year's draft, which has to be a stronger talent pool than 2023's was.

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He seems to like Hackett a lot and maybe have cleared things out.  Let's wait and see on him. 

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

He's saying he wants to get paid now that his knee is right. I think it's going to come down to Huff vs Becton for the Franchise Tag. I'm hoping we lock in Huff on a long term deal before needing to negotiate with Becton.

I don't see Huff getting 19.73 million next year. And for '24 it will be higher than that.

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not saying they can't extend him. Just that he's a long way from sniffing being worth somewhere in the $20MM+/year range. 

If Mitchell doesn't improve - or frankly, if he doesn't get to show it and they bench him for Brown - then Becton's value to the team rises dramatically. 

Look at it this way: discounting Rodgers because his $ is there but just being pushed off for longer, these guys are still making less than average starter $ (or cap hit) next year:

1. Sauce
  2. G.Wilson
  3. AVT
  4. Tippmann
  5. Conklin and/or Ruckert
  6. Breece
  7. MC2
  8. Quincy W
  9. JJII
  10. Mitchell, if he's more than just temporarily penciled in as starter
  11. Lazard
  12. Tony Adams if he becomes a full-time starter

That's half the starting roster right there. Counting/making slightly above average (but not elite) starter $ and/or cap hit?

1. JFM
  2. Reed

Elite $ and/or cap hit:

1. Mosley (worst financial crime this side of Trumaine Johnson...and Jamal Adams)
  2. Quinnen W
  3. Rodgers (but not by much, seeing how other well-regarded veteran starters now are at $20MM/year more than his $35MM, though Zach's cap hit closes that gap by half).
  4. Tomlinson (a $19MM hit is pretty elite $ for a guard)

Even if they don't cut anybody currently under contract for '24, with the exception of Lawson, that'll be about $20MM in dead cap. Don't discount that they can - and surely will - restructure 2-3 of them if kept. Further keep in mind no matter what extension they might extend to Huff, it won't be a heavy hitter in year 1 of the new deal. Sure it'll rise later, as will it for others who need extensions themselves soon, but the cap is going to rise plenty. 

They will definitely have some room to play, but they have plenty enough to offer veteran contracts to Becton, Huff, a WR, and another safety. Also the idea is at least one of those should come from next year's draft, which has to be a stronger talent pool than 2023's was.

its not just about next year unless you can get those guys to accept 3 yr deals. a 4th year will be 2027 the 1st year of a new contract for the 2022 class. and Hall in 2026. i know RB dont get alot these days but he still will be getting a nice raise.

AVT like Zach will have to be decided on may 1 to give him the 5th year. interesting cause before he was a shoo in for it but now injured 2 years in a row with season ending injuries could make that interesting.

then what do we do with him? how big a contract do you give him. he is great,....when he plays. but thats another possible huge contract that will definetly effect the cap down the road in 26/27.

so its not so much for next year but the contracts we give will last long enough to affect the young stars who we all want to keep. there only 3 years away from a big payday. plus 2026 GW and Sause will get those 5th years. there alot more than there making now.

i know the cap goes up every year but thats for the players to make more. whatever the top WRs are getting this year there going to be much more in 3 years when we pay GW. so that cap raise will break even.

you know the main 4 ...GW, Hall. Sause and AVT will want top dollar at there positions. we are not going to have 4 guys getting paid the most at there respective positions. someone or 2 how to go.

i LOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEE GW. but let be honest. if we dont have a serious good QB after Rodgers he is not going to resign here to watch Zach Wilson go from 29th best to 26th best. that kid is special and needs a top QB to help him break records. if this team insists on continuing the Zach experiment after Rodgers leaves they better hope he turns into Rodgers right away or GW is gone. better to just trade him in 2025 for two 1st rd picks or we loss him for nothing.

but thats another story lol

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

.5 Sack Baby Huey Williams agrees. 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2lh3wn1CA-rB3c6GBQYlBgHaK2%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=60e6eee4cba2b03b917cf26ce7a87f12928a566014e9f5dcdcb3c42f2285c234&ipo=images

Quinnen has been eating double teams, the sacks will come. Hes a big part of why Huff, JJ, and Jefferson have been so impressive up front. Jets have to be leading to get teams to throw consistently. I'd this offense figures it out I think you'll see that number spike.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I don't see Huff getting 19.73 million next year. And for '24 it will be higher than that.

I heard someone say the JFM deal, would love to get him for that. I think Huff may gamble on himself and force the Jets to take this negotiation to the final hour. Hope I'm wrong lol I want a deal

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I heard someone say the JFM deal, would love to get him for that. I think Huff may gamble on himself and force the Jets to take this negotiation to the final hour. Hope I'm wrong lol I want a deal

Yeah I agree, and I don't see how he doesn't gamble on himself at this point. His advanced metric \ PFF stats are going to make him a free agency. Jets will finish with a top defense and they get poached. I think it is going to be hard to pay him but I hope they pull it off. Love him.