Media slowly coming for JD

kevinc855

9 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

JD doesn't know what he's doing. He makes alot of money that Woody pays him and he does what Woody tells him to do.

Look, I get that people don't love what Douglas has done.  Some of us like the depth and the D and that it generally seems like it is leading to sustainable success.  Others, rightfully point to the W-L record and inability to find a QB for more than 4 snaps and say he sucks.  Thing is, if Woody is the one making all the decisions, then he really isn't half bad.

The ZW pick was always a huge gamble.  But in some sense it was the only sensible choice.  The Jets had just busted on another high 1st round pick (Darnold) and you simply get no where in the NFL without a qb.  Drafting Penei Sewell to flounder for another year with Sam would have caused a fan revolt, even in a draft where the consensus was that there was only 1 real superstar level QB talent (Lawrence).  And then what, you draft at 10 the following year and miss out on the next qb class? 

We had almost zero assets at the time, a new coach/OC and a super raw project qb that they could mold into whatever they wanted.  Timing wise, thats exactly what you want when you start over from scratch.

I say this as someone who thought ZWs tape looked like fools gold and thought we were definitely making a mistake.  But if you are going to take a swing with a high 1st round pick, you do it with a qb.  

So I don’t blame him for that whiff.  Its just ashame that it ruins so much of everything downstream.  The ZW bust is basically responsible for much of the problems of the franchise thereafter.  Whether it was the exodus of Moore, or the drafting of the Lazards and Hackets of the world to incite Rogers

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

JD doesn't know what he's doing. He makes alot of money that Woody pays him and he does what Woody tells him to do.

I said he has DONE nothing to improve this team-I'm sure he knows what he's supposed to be doing but for some reason, it doesn't get done, other teams fill needs at the trading deadline every year. What did he do that has helped the team....again NADA

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Look, I get that people don't love what Douglas has done.  Some of us like the depth and the D and that it generally seems like it is leading to sustainable success.  Others, rightfully point to the W-L record and inability to find a QB for more than 4 snaps and say he sucks.  Thing is, if Woody is the one making all the decisions, then he really isn't half bad.

That's the thing Dom we don't KNOW who is making the decisions for a HC who says "he pleads the 5th" is it Douglas telling him that he has to keep Wilson in there? Why? Is there a business dealing that includes Woody, Rodgers and Zach's uncle? We don't know who's the failure here, but what I DO know is if it's anybody BUT the head coach making the choice for him the whole shooting match is screwed up. Saleh needs to bench the Scrub at halftime and if he gets fired for it. So be it!

• Upvote 1

How many offensive linemen can you sign or draft and how many QBs can you pay $50 million a year to. Look it's a game of injuries and luck. They've imo prepared for the season but one mistake could be signing Hackett. But they only did it to please AR the same goes for Lazard, Boyle. As for ZW that was the big decision they made with the overall #2 a few years ago and they also decided to start him from day 1. You kind of knew if he didn't work out that kind of a bad call could take employment away from the current Jets org. Smart thing about JD is he only would sign with the Jets if he had a multi year deal. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They had no path to even a B+ quarterback and Rodgers gave them that. Rodgers is a massive dickhead and he’s old, but his Achilles wasn’t an old man injury. Agreed on the operating-from-desperation, but that’s what happens to a regime when they draft a catastrophic bust QB. Bottom line, this team is a Super Bowl contender with Rodgers, which is what we hired these chuckleheads to do. 

T0m = "Mr. Pfizer"

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Was it really that monumental.  It was a choice between him, Lance, Fields and Jones?  

The monumental mistake is continuing to trot him out there and not have a real backup plan should Rodgers get hurt, which he did.

There are plenty of whiffs at first round QBs.  

Zach Wilson is going to be top fiving all time bust lists until the end of days. 

Yes it was that monumental.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to serious here for a sec. Maybe it's what I just smoked.

Douglas is a good GM. Is there any doubt that this Jets team is overall the most talented roster that has been assembled here in quite a long time? Who do you want that's going to keep the roster at this level of talent? Talent isn't the problem. It's the allocation of talent in today's NFL.

Here's the true mistake of Douglas tenure. It's bigger than the flop of Wilson. It is Saleh. 

I've been saying this a long time: the odds of hitting on a 1st time coach is much lower when he is a coach of defensive heritage. Elite coordinators of both types assert themselves as coaching candidates and get promoted. The GM's job is then to buy the groceries that the coach asks for to build out his menu. Hiring Saleh put Douglas in a position to focus key resources on the defense, and have the means to find it. Saleh and his guys are good at identifying and developing defensive talent. That is apparent. It's their strength for which they are highly regarded around the league. They aren't going to be as strong in identifying and developing offensive talent. Its not what they do. So they hire offensive assistants to do that. But the problem is, elite offensive talent in this league are running their own systems as head coaches, just like Saleh is as a defensive guy. So typically, especially when it comes to a rookie head coach, a Grade A defensive staff usually gets paired with a 2nd or 3rd tier offensive staff. And vise versa: young, elite offensive staffs are paired with next tier defensive staffs. Here's the problem, in this version of the NFL: offense matters much more than defense. No way around that. QB is the the most important player on the field without question. You can look at this team and honestly say this a defense right now is in the conversation for the NFL's best. Credit to Saleh's system and Douglas' shopping for that. Now flip it. If the defense was bottom of the league level, but the offense was in the conversation for the NFL's best, we're probably a 6 or 7 win team, not a-lucky-to-be-at-4-wins team. Would be a heck of a lot more fun to watch whatever the case may be.

So look at what happens when Douglas goes offense. He landed Hall and Garrett, but really, that's it. There have been some big whiffs, none bigger, maybe in the history of drafting, than Zach. Way I look at it, they hire in 2021 say, a Nick Siriani, I promise you Zach is not the pick. Nick identified the guy to build his system with and its got the Eagles in a pretty nice spot for a long time. Sure, Saleh's built us the elite defense, but what does that translate to?

QBs win championships. QBs play offense. Build an offense. There aren't a lot of teams in recent years that build both. It's a salary capped league. Build an offense. I would sacrifice the entire defense right now for one.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

he has to do what Woody wants, hes the boss.

if JD and Saleh went against what Woody wants they would get fired. and then never get hired again. do you think another owner would hire guys who told another owner we are not going to listen to you? 

yeah bosses love guys dont listen to them.

you know what would be funny? if they both got fired and Zach stayed cause that what Woody wants and just hired 2 guys who would do what he wants.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Zach Wilson is going to be top fiving all time bust lists until the end of days. 

Yeah, looking at the top bust list, yuu might be right :).

But the decision to take him was not as monumentally bad given the circumstances at the time, and what other QBs were available that draft and the next draft (1 first rounder in Pickett).

Many GMs would have taken him because he had the highest upside.

That said, we both could probably agree that perpetuating the mistake is beyond pathetic.

Lastly, take a look at Parcells not moving mountains to convince Peyton Manning to come out.  We could have already recovered from missing on Zach but to miss on a Hall of Famer and then another (Orlando Pace if I remember correctly) to take James Farrior, a second rounder who might not have even played, Dedric Ward and Leon Hall …..

1 hour ago, mfmartin said:

When you whiff on the 2nd pick of the draft and your options are Jimmy G, Derek Carr and guy who won two out of the last 3 MVPs, you take the chance on the mvp guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The key is you can whiff on the number 2 pick on the draft but in truth that whiff can't be at QB!

It can't, the QB position is just too important to today's NFL game for that!........

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, doitny said:

he has to do what Woody wants, hes the boss.

if JD and Saleh went against what Woody wants they would get fired. and then never get hired again. do you think another owner would hire guys who told another owner we are not going to listen to you? 

yeah bosses love guys dont listen to them.

you know what would be funny? if they both got fired and Zach stayed cause that what Woody wants and just hired 2 guys who would do what he wants.

I'm fed up with Aaron Rodgers and his jocular hijinks. JD needs to snap that wet towel!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

One thing I don't think anyone (outside this message board) said about the Rodgers thing is that it came from such a place of weakness. You don't just wake up one morning and decide to trade major assets for a 39-year-old who's coming off his worst professional season, who is by his own admission 90% retired, and who has no other suitors. If that looks like your best option, then by definition you have galactically ****ed up your roster in like a hundred different ways.

He came off worst season, playing with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. Still his worst year was a lot better than scrub Zach Wilson’s  He is only 2 seasons removed from back to back being most valuable player in NFL. Sure we are not expecting that, but he’s kept himself in good shape. Proving that already . Most guys coming off Achilles rupture would not be already running around throwing 50 yards less than 2 months after injury. 

He also came here as desperation to mentor Zach Wilson. But he is a lost cause. Green Bay probably already regrets trading him to go with Jordan love. It’s so hard to predict if a young qb will be good or bust. We are probably sitting top of AFC with Aaron. Or just an average qb. Jets though want to try to win on back of defense with the worst qb in the NFL. It’s just not going to happen. 

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

Two 2nd round picks are major assets?

2023 and 2024 2nd round picks for a future HOF. Come on. And I would take his worst professional season this year. Because it is still 3x better than what our current QB is giving us.

You’re not stupid so I don’t understand why you keep saying two second round picks as if that was actually the trade.

Douglas gave them a 1st and a 2nd with the first becoming another 2nd only if Rodgers didn’t take _% of the offensive snaps this year.

Do you actually believe Douglas would’ve made the trade if he knew it would end up as two seconds? Of course you don’t, so stop saying it.

I don’t think anyone can doubt the desperation. The Zach whiff was so monumental that another losing season was probably going to do the whole regime in. Ironically Rodgers blowing up instantly has probably saved them all as they’re going to want to run it back rather than reset. That they’ve been allowed to get away with putting Zach back out there genuinely sickens me. 
The desperation didn’t necessarily make it bad though. It could have worked and looking at this team we’re likely top of the division even with a lesser version of Rodgers. Green Bay being completely inept offensively lends credence to the idea that the drop off last year was as much down to them than him. That was always the hope. The move was always predicated on a lot of things going right.

I don't know.. other teams miss on QB and recover .. I think you're overstating the miss.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Claymation said:

2nd round picks, not 1st round 

Yea that's what I meant but we also traded down in the first round potentially costing us the last first round graded offensive tackle potentially forcing McDonald onto us over someone who might have actually contributed this season.

13 hours ago, dbatesman said:

One thing I don't think anyone (outside this message board) said about the Rodgers thing is that it came from such a place of weakness. You don't just wake up one morning and decide to trade major assets for a 39-year-old who's coming off his worst professional season, who is by his own admission 0% retired, and who has no other suitors. If that looks like your best option, then by definition you have galactically ****ed up your roster in like a hundred different ways.

I heard the Bucs are looking to give their Lombardi trophy back for taking the same approach.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They had no path to even a B+ quarterback and Rodgers gave them that. Rodgers is a massive dickhead and he’s old, but his Achilles wasn’t an old man injury. Agreed on the operating-from-desperation, but that’s what happens to a regime when they draft a catastrophic bust QB. Bottom line, this team is a Super Bowl contender with Rodgers, which is what we hired these chuckleheads to do. 

AVT, J.K Dobbins, Cam Akers, and Tradavious White use walkers to get the games, the media is just hiding their real age.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Brett Favre hid his shoulder injury from the staff.   Good times.  

Rodgers never intended to play for the Jets.   He knows he’s a dickhead and came here to rehab his image.   He faked the injury and swapped out Vinny’s MRI.   He had a famous surgeons Chinese nurse give him a foot message.  Now at 40 he’s pretending he’s a quick healer through the power of hallucinogenic drugs coupled with the power of Alien abduction.  He’s going to be a staple at Star Track conventions for years.

3D chess.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

The whole off-season there was one major concern that destroyed this team last year and it was the O-Line. Douglas. Did. NOTHING. He left the team to rely on an old man coming off a major injury at LT, the position most critical to protect ting a right-handed QB. Look what happened to the QB with the same depleted OL. Joe Douglas, other than hitting a HR on a  few draft picks hasn't been able to sign any impact players. Can somebody please explain to me how the 2023 draft can't be considered the least impactful draft since who knows when too? The Jets have never had a 1st round pick that they refuse to play. They have a RB they drafted in the 5th round that Woody Johnson was all excited about, who showed a lot of promise and since getting hurt 3 months ago has yet to even be activated on a gamely instead, they continue with Cook

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 6.21.42 PM.jpeg

Says JD did nothing at OL, provides a list that shows JD taking OL w/ 2 of this first 3 picks.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Oh he already is.  Easily.  He's the first and only QB since the passing the rating was created to finish last in back to back season....and guess where he is now on that list????!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

Says JD did nothing at OL, provides a list that shows JD taking OL w/ 2 of this first 3 picks.

Insists that Douglas has but the list shows the 2 offensive linemen on it but isn't able to point to either of them  AS OF YET, being IMPACT players or not.  Joe Tippmann drafted in the SECOND ROUND to be the next Nick Mangold at Center is now only starting there because of injury and has missed 2 games himself. As for Carter Warren the 120th player chosen in the 2023 draft, well he has started his NFL career on Injured Reserve and we won't see him take a snap until maybe next year.

This is the least impactful Jets draft. Here's his draft classes:

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 7.36.50 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 7.37.18 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 7.37.48 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 7.39.44 AM.jpeg

So basically unless something catastrophic happens the inner circle of the jets is woody, Rodgers, JD and Saleh. Rodgers said in his press conference that he came here because of what the jets are building and he specifically said because of Saleh’s leadership.  

They have more than likely agreed that everyone gets a mulligan because of Rodgers injury 

you can go ahead and speculate about guys getting fired but without Rodgers blessing after he comes out of the darkness  it’s not happening 

• Upvote 1