Woody Johnson: Merged

Alka

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

He doesn’t care about winning. He cares about profit.

I'm sure Woody likes to win - what owner doesn't - but he just doesn't show enough commitment to winning.

He's reluctant to make changes which impact on his bottom line - and his bottom line is a profitable team, rather than a winning team.

How he can stomach watching the product the Jets have put on the field offensively this season, I don't know.

But I guess his Billions of dollars help to cushion the blow.

He praises every draft pick, gets on the phone with them on draft day, and acts like an excited teenager.  He buys a "Woody" chain to put around his neck, and thinks he is funny.  He is full of praise in public, and rarely shows the public anything other than positivity and happiness.  When the team implodes, he is missing in action.  He didn't build his wealth, he was born into it.
When he does put his mark on the team, he overrides his GM by insisting on bringing Aaron Rodgers, even when he is getting advice to do otherwise.
Woody hires his previous head coach based upon the recommendation of Peyton Manning, who he doesn't even really know.  He hires past Gm's and head coaches and fires them well beyond the time that he should be firing them.  I never see him take accountability for his poor decision making of the past, and just exudes a "just so happy to be the owner of the Jets" attitude.
On the other hand, I admired Leon Hess.  He built up his own wealth, through his intellect and guts to make the tough decisions.  He put his money where his mouth is, and told Parcells that I will give you whatever you need to succeed, and Parcels had great admiration and respect for.  Hess publicly talked about the team "not playing like a bunch of horses asses".  Yes, the Jets didn't have the success that we all hoped for under the ownership of Hess, but I always felt that Hess was a man of substance and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

Proof that he overrode his GM to get Rodgers?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think the bottom line is that he is not a Jets fan, he is a fan of owning an NFL team.  He doesn't bleed and hurt the way true Jets fans bleed and hurt.  Leon Hess was a different owner.  Many on this board knock Hess for being a poor owner, but not me.  

Bill Parcels was astonished when after the Jets lost the AFC Championship game to the Broncos, the plane got back to NY at around 4:00 am in the morning, and Leon Hess was standing at the exit of the plane to greet every Jets player as they exited from the plane.  He was a brittle, old man at the time, but he insisted on being there for the team.  Parcels couldn't believe it!

• Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Alka said:

He praises every draft pick, gets on the phone with them on draft day, and acts like an excited teenager.  He buys a "Woody" chain to put around his neck, and thinks he is funny.  He is full of praise in public, and rarely shows the public anything other than positivity and happiness.  When the team implodes, he is missing in action.  He didn't build his wealth, he was born into it.

When he does put his mark on the team, he overrides his GM by insisting on bringing Aaron Rodgers, even when he is getting advice to do otherwise.

Woody hires his previous head coach based upon the recommendation of Peyton Manning, who he doesn't even really know.  He hires past Gm's and head coaches and fires them well beyond the time that he should be firing them.  I never see him take accountability for his poor decision making of the past, and just exudes a "just so happy to be the owner of the Jets" attitude.

On the other hand, I admired Leon Hess.  He built up his own wealth, through his intellect and guts to make the tough decisions.  He put his money where his mouth is, and told Parcells that I will give you whatever you need to succeed, and Parcels had great admiration and respect for.  Hess publicly talked about the team "not playing like a bunch of horses asses".  Yes, the Jets didn't have the success that we all hoped for under the ownership of Hess, but I always felt that Hess was a man of substance and wouldn't take sh*t from anyone.

Woody has done nothing to show he has intelligence.  He is the grandson of a J and J founder.  The Jets appreciated exponentially under him but not because of him, in spite of him. A blind trust owning the Jets under a Board of Directors would have done better. We are amongst the worst 5 teams in the NFL since his ownership and in last 10 years amongst the worst 3.

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm sure Woody likes to win - what owner doesn't - but he just doesn't show enough commitment to winning.

He's reluctant to make changes which impact on his bottom line - and his bottom line is a profitable team, rather than a winning team.

How he can stomach watching the product the Jets have put on the field offensively this season, I don't know.

But I guess his Billions of dollars help to cushion the blow.

He MUST be embarrassed.  At owners meetings I  am confident there are those who don't respect him. What's to respect?

6 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Proof that he overrode his GM to get Rodgers?

Fair question!!  Please read the article by "Sportskeeda", March 9, 2023.  Titled: "This was driven by owner Woody Johnson- NFL analyst reveals Aaron Rodgers decision was taken out of Jets GM's hands"

General Manager Joe Douglas had a great meeting with Derek Carr in February, and rumor was that he wanted to sign Carr.

But having said all of this, it still is unclear if Woody overrode Joe Douglas for Rodgers.  After doing my research, I am now unsure exactly what happened.  I retract my statement that Woody overrode JD on Rodgers, because I am not confident of the facts at this point.

Don't think Woody is dumb he just wants to make money. Winning to Woody is less important he knew the risk to  bring in Rogers he wanted to sell seats and getting Roger does that just live Farve even to a small degree Tim Tebow. Woodys is craving a big name QB to bring in fans it's the reason we are where we are now. We now have a 41 years old who is using the Jets as a country club for his washed up player friends who shouldn't be in the league anymore. This whole thing has derailed JDs plan of continueing to build through the draft. If JD was in control they would have bought In a veteran like Grappola, minshew, Wentz, resigned Mike White put Zach on notice and draft a developmental QB in the later rounds if Zach didn't turn it around he be gone. But now we are here with no real fix for this.

Don't think Woody is dumb he just wants to make money. Winning to Woody is less important he knew the risk to  bring in Rogers he wanted to sell seats and getting Roger does that just live Farve even to a small degree Tim Tebow. Woodys is craving a big name QB to bring in fans it's the reason we are where we are now. We now have a 41 years old who is using the Jets as a country club for his washed up player friends who shouldn't be in the league anymore. This whole thing has derailed JDs plan of continueing to build through the draft. If JD was in control they would have bought In a veteran like Grappola, minshew, Wentz, resigned Mike White put Zach on notice and draft a developmental QB in the later rounds if Zach didn't turn it around he be gone. But now we are here with no real fix for this.

You know how to really make money. Having a winning team

• Post of the Week 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, Alka said:

Hess was not a good owner. He finally brought in Parcells only after years of mediocrity and ineptitude. He would have been ravaged on this site had there been social media back in the day. He stuck forever with Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet then fired Pete Carroll after only one season for Rich Kotite!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's worse than that.  I believe it's about PR more than anything else.  He manages this team with positive press being his primary motivation.  Winning or losing is much further down the road.

If that were true, he would have forced JD to keep Zach Wilson as far away as the field as possible. The PR, or positive press could not be any worse for NY Jets. The entire football world is making fun of his team for keep trotting zach Wilson out there ever week, when there were much better short term options to hold down qb until Aaron returned. So I would say when it comes to Zach, caring about positive press means absolutely nothing to him. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Fair question!!  Please read the article by "Sportskeeda", March 9, 2023.  Titled: "This was driven by owner Woody Johnson- NFL analyst reveals Aaron Rodgers decision was taken out of Jets GM's hands"

General Manager Joe Douglas had a great meeting with Derek Carr in February, and rumor was that he wanted to sign Carr.

But having said all of this, it still is unclear if Woody overrode Joe Douglas for Rodgers.  After doing my research, I am now unsure exactly what happened.  I retract my statement that Woody overrode JD on Rodgers, because I am not confident of the facts at this point.

Did woody force joe to give the qb2 spot to Zach too ? The rumors were ( and sounds logical ) that JD was totally onboard with rodgers, because unlike Carr, Zach could co-exist with Rodgers. He could be saved with Aaron teachings, and taking over starting job after Aaron retired. 

• The Jets have had too many bad reasons, too many bad results, too many bad decisions, across too many GMs and HCs, to conclude that Woody is not a strong influence on that.  He obviously is.
  • Look at the other NFL teams.   For the most part they are owned by very independently successful, smart, driven people.  That is not to say that they can also run an NFL team, but it helps.   Woody is purely a trust fund baby with little if any success on his own.   Some insider connection hooked Woody up with Hess so Woody had a place to put his J&J inheritance.  
  • There are some instances of owners who achieved moderate success, got a good deal on an NFL team which then became their primary source of wealth (e.g. Kraft, Jerry Jones, Ravens, former Commanders, Eagles).  The Dolphins, Bills, Rams, current Commanders, Rams are owned by very successful people.  The Giants and Bears are family run.  So are the Steelers but they have other businesses (Yonkers Raceway, for example).   The Chiefs are inherited but better.  The Panthers are owned by one of the NFL's most successful owners, but are clueless. 
  • Most teams are owned by people who are independently successful in some way.  The Jets, Bears, Giants (half), Packers are not.  
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm shocked the league hasnt stepped in and either seized control of the organization or forced Woody to sell.  It's hard saying you're a professional Football league when the New York Jets are part of your league.

The only time that’s ever really happened was Fay Vincent banning George Steinbrenner from meddling in baseball ops in 1991 so Gene Michael could rebuild in peace.

Fay Vincent was the last truly independent league commissioner in North American sports.  Goodell is a joke who is really just a puppet for the in group of owners

• Upvote 1

Whatever the relationship is between Wilson’s family and Woody, it more or less sabotaged the season. Once Rodgers went down he more or less blocked the Jets from pursuing other options at QB. A lot of us recognized Zach had no business being the backup to begin with, but unfortunately with the Jets it extends way beyond football.

pretty discouraging to see teams like the Browns, Rams and Vikings shuffle the deck during the year in hopes of finding something that clicks at QB.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Whatever the relationship is between Wilson’s family and Woody, it more or less sabotaged the season. Once Rodgers went down he more or less blocked the Jets from pursuing other options at QB. A lot of us recognized Zach had no business being the backup to begin with, but unfortunately with the Jets it extends way beyond football.

pretty discouraging to see teams like the Browns, Rams and Vikings shuffle the deck during the year in hopes of finding something that clicks at QB.

Another wasted year.  Thanks Woody

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s looking like Saleh is falling on the sword for Woody.  Him talking about nothing but his defense in every press conference is the tell he’s telling the 31 other teams he’s available to be their DC 

Not sure who Woody hires to be head coach.  Promoting Hackett would look asinine even he knows that.  Maybe Randall Cobb? 

Woody needs to go in a new direction but in the end whenever we select the next HC he will likely choose a super conservative defensive coordinator again.

There is no relationship between the Wilson
Family and Woody