The most important hire for next year…..

SoJetsy

10 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Offensive line coach has to be top priority, just looking around the league and lines coached by people like Bill Callahan and when NE had Dante Scarnecchia they could work magic with back up players or Subpar players. The Jets have not had a good line or line coach since Rex years, it’s time that’s the priority along with squiring the right pieces for whatever scheme, not every player fits a wide zone scheme or a power scheme.

Saleh only fires a friend er a I mean assistant coach when forced to by JD and Woody. 

Its not all the oline coach. Yes carter stinks, I didn't want him either. But they are obsessed with "scheme fit" when searching for oline instead of just finding good, durable players.

The scheme sucks. We are an outside zone running team that only runs half back dives up the A-gap. We can't execute a screen pass to save our lives. Ditch this stupid scheme and the panzy ass type finesse players required to run it. Just get me big, fat, physical, mean, durable players that can blast dlines backwards and switch to a power gap scheme. 

It's been 5 years JD. If you haven't found these magical finesse olineman for your amazing zone scheme by now, you never will. Just focus on finding good durable players and adjust your scheme to them.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Offensive line coach has to be top priority, just looking around the league and lines coached by people like Bill Callahan and when NE had Dante Scarnecchia they could work magic with back up players or Subpar players. The Jets have not had a good line or line coach since Rex years, it’s time that’s the priority along with squiring the right pieces for whatever scheme, not every player fits a wide zone scheme or a power scheme.

Maybe.  From what I’ve read the guy they have is supposed to be good.  Maybe not on the level of Callahan or scarnecchia.

I believe some teams like maybe Dallas and Philly have little handy books for these positional coaches on what's expected .An oversite for the coach to make sure the job is getting done. These handy books would contain the basic techniques how to apply them and teach him and how to be inspirational and prepare for the game day.

This seems like basic common sense to meThat I don't think Woody and mostly organizations

ever do.There should be a small school of football coaching in each organization.

A helping hand in a very complex sport.

11 hours ago, LoraleiFL said:

I agree if they have to keep Hackett they should at the very least fire the Tennessee guys. 

I think someone from that level is gonna go

Someone has to fall on the sword for this losing streak. JD won't fire himself obviously......I believe Saleh and Hackett have the AR get out of jail free card. Brick is a great DC and shouldn't even be mentioned here.....

That leaves folks like Downing, Carter and Calabrese who all should go......I don't even understand why Calabrese who's never coached QBs before coming here, lasted this long.....

I agree OL coaching needs to be a premium.....Finding a Pass game coordinator who can help Hackett with scheme and an Actual QB coach who can develop the room should be priority

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Its not all the oline coach. Yes carter stinks, I didn't want him either. But they are obsessed with "scheme fit" when searching for oline instead of just finding good, durable players.

The scheme sucks. We are an outside zone running team that only runs half back dives up the A-gap. We can't execute a screen pass to save our lives. Ditch this stupid scheme and the panzy ass type finesse players required to run it. Just get me big, fat, physical, mean, durable players that can blast dlines backwards and switch to a power gap scheme. 

It's been 5 years JD. If you haven't found these magical finesse olineman for your amazing zone scheme by now, you never will. Just focus on finding good durable players and adjust your scheme to them.

Agree even Saleh said they wanted to get more nasty in the run game but that's not evident at all...

which is why I don't really care for Shanahan's WCO......

If you take a deep dive around the league......most of the Shanahan disciples other then Shanny Jr. have created a diverse running game for their teams and include some Gap scheme runs as well......even McVay who's prob the most devout Shanahan WCO purist other than his son went to a gap scheme in the running game 

Hackett is a bum who's a predictable play caller but even he saw some success in the Denver game when he called a counter trey run in the 2nd half as a tendency breaker that led to the Breece long TD run in that game......the issue with Hackett is that even when he has success with a concept he never goes back to it....he's fine with his predictable tendencies and it's aggravating 

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the engineer who figures out how to have 2 live grass trays in met life so they can swap out a fresh surface for each team every week.

But every year AVT only gets injured on natural grass ;) 

I’m trying to imagine what any grass field would’ve looked like, and how many more injuries there would’ve been (on both NJ teams and their opponents) this fall, after 7 straight weekends of rain and two teams playing on trays with their inevitable seams. We never see the problems they’d have had.

Truth is while two stadiums seemed wasteful given how few uses it gets per year per team, the sport is so rough on its turf I don’t see how grass can work.

They’d need three trays up here, lol. One for each team, plus a spare for when one inevitably needs more than a week to recover from getting ripped up playing in a rainstorm. Also maybe a fourth one for any non-NFL events, but they can reuse the current turf for those (no maintenance).

I don’t know where they put them when they’re not in use, though. I don’t even know if they can simply build a sliding track for MetLife like in Phoenix that has no stands on the tray sliding side. That’s aside from the space for a covered one piece tray swap system instead of premium parking outside the stadium that’d have at least one more stadium footprint unless they can somehow get engineered to stack all that weight one on top of one another, with enough height for maintenance and inspection of each layer (some 10,000 tons with dirt being about 1 ton per cubic ft; the sliding single tray in Arizona is 40” deep, about 80x135 yards area); otherwise they need room for 2-3 fields outside the stadium if they can’t stack them after rolling one out, assuming such a track system can even be engineered underneath the existing stadium in the first place and if it can be done for under a billion dollars.

They may as well start over and build a different stadium that takes full tray field swaps into consideration, or build another in the metro area for $5bn and stop sharing this one. Doubt either happens.

Two NFL teams, they’re likely just going to stick with artificial surfaces and hope they continue to improve.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m trying to imagine what any grass field would’ve looked like, and how many more injuries there would’ve been (on both NJ teams and their opponents) this fall, after 7 straight weekends of rain and two teams playing on trays with their inevitable seams. We never see the problems they’d have had.

Truth is while two stadiums seemed wasteful given how few uses it gets per year per team, the sport is so rough on its turf I don’t see how grass can work.

They’d need three trays up here, lol. One for each team, plus a spare for when one inevitably needs more than a week to recover from getting ripped up playing in a rainstorm. Also maybe a fourth one for any non-NFL events, but they can reuse the current turf for those (no maintenance).

I don’t know where they put them when they’re not in use, though. I don’t even know if they can simply build a sliding track for MetLife like in Phoenix that has no stands on the tray sliding side. That’s aside from the space for a covered one piece tray swap system instead of premium parking outside the stadium that’d have at least one more stadium footprint unless they can somehow get engineered to stack all that weight one on top of one another, with enough height for maintenance and inspection of each layer (some 10,000 tons with dirt being about 1 ton per cubic ft; the sliding single tray in Arizona is 40” deep, about 80x135 yards area); otherwise they need room for 2-3 fields outside the stadium if they can’t stack them after rolling one out, assuming such a track system can even be engineered underneath the existing stadium in the first place and if it can be done for under a billion dollars.

They may as well start over and build a different stadium that takes full tray field swaps into consideration, or build another in the metro area for $5bn and stop sharing this one. Doubt either happens.

Two NFL teams, they’re likely just going to stick with artificial surfaces and hope they continue to improve.

Grass is overrated. So long as they are playing on field with a base of dirt. A filed that looks like this is fine with me. It will eliminate the injuries caused by a foot caught on the turf and the artificial ground "giving".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrga1BGXt0lzGQMuNpNHd13PTj_DZxRCsiGIt069S-zLWb5hj27fj9sp5-4ooK8y6USX0&usqp=CAU

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Dear Sperm,

After careful review and consideration of your application for our engineering position we have decided to continue our search with other candidates.

Rejected Rejection GIF by HULU

Good luck in your continuing job search.

- HR

• Haha 1

But every year AVT only gets injured on natural grass  
Very interested to think... how long would it take to install a grass field? If Rodgers was to come back for Christmas eve, I wonder if there is any thought to making the change... I'm sure it's logistically impossible but curious if there has been any thought to this within the organization

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Grass is overrated. So long as they are playing on field with a base of dirt. A filed that looks like this is fine with me. It will eliminate the injuries caused by a foot caught on the turf and the artificial ground "giving".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrga1BGXt0lzGQMuNpNHd13PTj_DZxRCsiGIt069S-zLWb5hj27fj9sp5-4ooK8y6USX0&usqp=CAU

Shifting back to reality, the NFL will not have games televised on chewed-up dirt fields with no grass, even if you're personally ok with it.

The other side of that coin is that you get irregularities in any natural surface that don't occur as much with a synthetic turf. I'm not therefore saying fieldturf/other is better on balance; just that natural surface isn't pure upside with no downside. 

Both of AVT's injuries occurred on natural grass. So did Becton's original injury. Mahomes sprained his ankle on natural grass. Plenty of players on both the Jets & Giants went years with zero or barely any injuries (knees & lower in particular), from Eli to Brick to Martin to whomever. 

When injuries occur on grass, people conveniently ignore it and only then think something akin to, "Well it's a rough sport what can you do?" When an injury occurs on turf, the turf is always blamed every time, as though the player(s) would've been injury free in an alternate reality. 

23 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

Very interested to think... how long would it take to install a grass field? If Rodgers was to come back for Christmas eve, I wonder if there is any thought to making the change... I'm sure it's logistically impossible but curious if there has been any thought to this within the organization

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Installing a grass field could be done, as they did it 20 years ago (with disastrous results with that tray system they used). They couldn't for this season; any new field has to be tested and there's no time in between Sundays midseason. 

Other than that, the problem as always isn't the installation so much as it is maintaining a grass field in a stadium with two football teams that don't allow the field to ever get a week off to heal.

Lastly, it isn't "this organization" -- it's this organization AND the Giants' organization. Woody doesn't have the authority to install his own field just for his team. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Installing a grass field could be done, as they did it 20 years ago (with disastrous results with that tray system they used). They couldn't for this season; any new field has to be tested and there's no time in between Sundays midseason. 

Other than that, the problem as always isn't the installation so much as it is maintaining a grass field in a stadium with two football teams that don't allow the field to ever get a week off to heal.

Lastly, it isn't "this organization" -- it's this organization AND the Giants' organization. Woody doesn't have the authority to install his own field just for his team. 

Never should have been a shared stadium.  JMO.  I get the why, still should never have been the way.

• Upvote 4

On 11/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Dear Sperm,

After careful review and consideration of your application for our engineering position we have decided to continue our search with other candidates.

Rejected Rejection GIF by HULU

Good luck in your continuing job search.

- HR

lol

The only viable solution is to give the tray-tile system another try, if they think they have a better way of doing it compared to 20 years ago when we could all see the seams coming up. 

Rub it in my face if it happens, but they aren't installing a removable one-piece natural field turf because there's no way to get it in & out of the stadium. Not unless you know of a helicopter that can carry 10,000 tons of dirt (plus the additional massive water weight when they need to change it after it rains).

I'd be very on board with it if they could, but it's unrealistic to think they can simply install a sliding tray system into MetLife like they have in Phoenix. 

ZGtscWFsbmw

This stadium was designed from the beginning with a one-piece tray system in mind, and even this is just one field, not two that get swapped one then the other.

MetLife would have to undergo a massive renovation that would close the stadium for at least one season to turn it into that style, on top of the expense of doing it, on top of the lost revenue from the ticketholders - for two teams - whose PSLs will be revoked. 

IOW the only way there'll be a one-piece natural grass field is probably if/when one of the teams (i.e. the Jets) moves out to build its own stadium.

Only other thing I can think of is if they come up with a better planned and more reliable version of the puzzle piece tray system i.e. replacing much deeper trays that can actually drain & compacts the soil as it's used; not the prior shallower trays installed on top of the old astroturf & then just resodding that just scrapes off like paint on an unprepped/unprimed surface, where sod just kicked up in chunks when players cut on it, especially after a big rain (let alone ~2 straight months of weekend rain like we just had).

SoFi field was just built (for some $5bn), and as two NFL teams play there like in MetLife, they also use artificial turf. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

I think someone from that level is gonna go

Someone has to fall on the sword for this losing streak. JD won't fire himself obviously......I believe Saleh and Hackett have the AR get out of jail free card. Brick is a great DC and shouldn't even be mentioned here.....

That leaves folks like Downing, Carter and Calabrese who all should go......I don't even understand why Calabrese who's never coached QBs before coming here, lasted this long.....

I agree OL coaching needs to be a premium.....Finding a Pass game coordinator who can help Hackett with scheme and an Actual QB coach who can develop the room should be priority

+1 on this