Zach “reluctant” to start again at QB

T0mShane

13 hours ago, shevys said:

Screw him. He should’ve played better. 

I wasn’t defending Wilson, I should have worded the post better, just making light of the entire super f**ked of situation that has fallen on the entire organization.

Just learned that the 2023 Jets have, get this, More Safties generated by the Defense in the 1st Quarter than they have Offensive TD’s.  Wilson of course has to go as of the second he “wasn’t sure he wanted to play”, but so does Hackett….if you can’t Fire someone for putting out maybe the Worst Offense in NFL HISTORY, who can you Fire?

These sorry team HAS TO show that there is accountability….Somewhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I believe Russini.

ZW is all about the money, and probably doesn’t give a sh-t about football.

It’s “just a job” to him.

ZW never looked happier than during this training camp and preseason when he figured he’d be getting paid to do nothing (and have zero risk of getting injured).

And what makes you think Zach is "all about the money"?

New York Jets head coach Robert Saleh declines to name a starting QB for Week 14, denies that Zach Wilson is hesitant to play

By Sam Joseph, CNN
 3 minute read 
Published 6:59 AM EST, Tue December 5, 2023

Robert Saleh, head coach of the New York Jets, was non-committal when asked about who would start at quarterback for his team’s Week 14 game against the Houston Texans on Sunday.

The Jets traded for Aaron Rodgers during the offseason, but suffered a major blow when the four-time MVP went down with a significant Achilles injury just four snaps into his career in New Jersey.

Third-year signal-caller and former No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson was named the starter going forward and he experienced some initial success, leading Gang Green to a 4-3 start and upsetting the Philadelphia Eagles along the way, but the Jets offense soon stagnated and struggled to move the football.

From Week 8 to Week 11, the Jets went on a run of 13 straight quarters without a touchdown. That embarrassing streak was snapped against the Buffalo Bills, but Saleh had seen enough by this point and benched Wilson in the third quarter of the 32-6 loss at Highmark Stadium.

Life with Boyle at the helm hasn’t been much better for the New York offense, with the team losing their two games with the 29-year-old as the starter. Boyle was then benched for Trevor Siemian in a Week 13 defeat to the Atlanta Falcons as the quarterback crisis deepened.

‘The young man wants the ball’

Saleh was asked on Monday about who would be starting as quarterback against the Texans, to which he replied: “No, I’m still not there yet.”

He also denied reports that Wilson is reluctant to retake the starting position after being benched earlier in the season.

“Let’s be clear, if [Wilson] was reluctant to play, he wouldn’t be here,” Saleh said. “I actually coincidentally just got done speaking with him. He came in about a half hour ago and we had a really good conversation.

“The young man wants the ball. He wants to start. He believes he’s the best quarterback in the room and the best quarterback for this team and the guy who gives us the best chance to win.”

Wilson has been sacked 38 times this season, per StatMuse, despite only playing in 10 games, and risk of injury under that physical duress is reportedly the reason that he is hesitant to return, something which Saleh said he empathizes with.

“We’re in a society now where kids miss Bowl games because they’re worried about their draft status, right?” said Saleh. “So empathetically, if that discussion had been had somewhere, and again it wasn’t with me, but if that conversation was had and it somehow leaked out to the media, I don’t think that’s indicative of his mindset. The kid wants to play.”

Seeking their first postseason berth since 2010, the Jets were given a glimmer of hope on Wednesday when Rodgers was cleared to practice, despite the initial expectation that he would be out for the remainder of the season.

However, it is still unclear when the 40-year-old will be able to return to the stadium field.

“This isn’t so much getting ready to play as much as it is a progression in his rehab,” Saleh told the media last Wednesday.

Even if Rodgers does make a miraculous comeback, it is unlikely to dig the team out of the hole that the Jets are currently in. New York sits at 4-8 on the season having lost five straight games and remain firmly on the outside of the playoff picture.

At the end of the day, regardless if Benigno misinterpreted Saleh’s text or not, why is Robert Saleh discussing roster decisions with a radio host and why would Robert Saleh continue having a relationship with Benigno after he leaked text messages about a private conversation? 

The Jets are a huge mess. 

that was a take on the beningo thing. 

Becton has beef with Saleh over the knee injury that occurred in camp after his surgery when he told the coaches his knee felt funny and they told him to suck it up and play and he reinjured it and now I’m sure Zach can’t wait to get away from Saleh scapegoating him.  That’s back to back first round picks that hate the HC and want out. 

only the jets 

• Post of the Week 1

Saleh’s comp to college players sitting bowl games is absolutely ridiculous.

College football players are essentially volunteers.  Unless they are on scholarship for football, the schools pay them nothing.

This is the NFL.  Professional football.

You get paid to do your job.

Go do it, whatever the coaches tell you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

At the end of the day, regardless if Benigno misinterpreted Saleh’s text or not, why is Robert Saleh discussing roster decisions with a radio host and why would Robert Saleh continue having a relationship with Benigno after he leaked text messages about a private conversation? 

Becton has beef with Saleh over the knee injury that occurred in camp after his surgery when he told the coaches his knee felt funny and they told him to suck it up and play and he reinjured it and now I’m sure Zach can’t wait to get away from Saleh scapegoating him.  That’s back to back first round picks that hate the HC and want out. 

only the jets 

Saleh is extremely complementary to his players in the media but seems to have an alter ego when he’s not in front of the camera. 

29 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’m surprised more people aren’t alarmed by the benigno thing. Joe has been sharing details of Saleh text messages all year.

It’s really a bad precedent and a slippery slope. How has that not been shut down yet?  

just bad optics everywhere 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m surprised more people aren’t alarmed by the benigno thing. Joe has been sharing details of Saleh text messages all year.

It’s really a bad precedent and a slippery slope. How has that not been shut down yet?  

The Jets let coaches fire themselves. Bowles went before Maccagnan. Saleh will be gone before Douglas. Zach will be back. Rodgers will be back. Rodgers picks HC. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets let coaches fire themselves. Bowles went before Maccagnan. Saleh will be gone before Douglas. Zach will be back. Rodgers will be back. Rodgers picks HC. 

I could totally see this happening. 

Really depends on how ugly this gets, but boy are we getting there faster than I ever imagined. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

This Beningo thing is definitely a bad look.  2 days ago I thought there was zero chance Saleh gets fired but now it's 50/50.

They better start winning and soon. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Surprised he didn’t come out with an outright denial. Puts Saleh in an impossible position now

Me too.

Rodgers has been in this game a long time - he knows damn well that this looks terrible for the Saleh and the head coach is usually the guy who takes the fall for this kind of stuff. 

It's very possible Rodgers is sending the bat signal that he's out on Saleh. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

only the jets 

it's been an issue for a while and yet saleh still does it

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Even CJ Beathard is out there making some plays last night in prime time.

Nathaniel Hackett was supposed to be able to “relate” to players better than “tough love” LaFleur.

He’s the worst OC and playcaller in NFL history.  Worse than Gase.

His dad might give him a run for his money. 

The Jets have had quite a few peaches in their time.

Sparano, Heimerdinger, Erhardt. Schottenheimer? It's like a veritable who's who. 

Not sure if it's already been said but how could you possibly start Zach after he more or less implied the O Line sucks?  Don't see them playing their hearts out trying to protect him.  He might get mauled. 

Roll with Siemian, get Brett whatever ready, and put Zip on ice. 

this is what I would do with the QB room. 

• Tell Zach that we will release him if he releases the JEts guaranteed salary to him for the rest of the year and next year.  So he will have the ability to sign with the team of his choosing.  
  • if he does not agree to that, play him.  
  • If he agrees to that, find the best available QB on a practice squad and add him to the mix. 
  • If he agreed to that, start Rypien.  

12 hours ago, Pac said:

Not sure if it's already been said but how could you possibly start Zach after he more or less implied the O Line sucks?  Don't see them playing their hearts out trying to protect him.  He might get mauled. 

Roll with Siemian, get Brett whatever ready, and put Zip on ice. 

The OL May suck but Zach couldn’t spot a blitzer if Aaron Rodgers was pointing it out to him and communicating it by headphone 

F4BCF07C-E6AC-4265-9751-2FC83D91EA75.jpeg.561d4f8d09b5ff2ab0958f743c9f4eef.jpeg

• Upvote 3

The OL May suck but Zach couldn’t spot a blitzer if Aaron Rodgers was pointing it out to him and communicating it by headphone 
http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2023_11/F4BCF07C-E6AC-4265-9751-2FC83D91EA75.jpeg.561d4f8d09b5ff2ab0958f743c9f4eef.jpeg
I agree Zach was getting marginally better pre-snap.. but has a long way to go

... But with regards to the OL ...

... Even the best race car driver can't win a race with four flat tires.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Basically Russini is saying she heard from multiple people that Zach was hesitant to go in there again.  The turning point was that, once he was benched, he knew it was over for him as a Jet.  The Kay Show guys also asked if it was more about that or more about him being afraid of injury.  She said it was both things.

At 2:52, Russini responds to the idea that AR8 refuted the report that he spoke to Zach:

If he [AR8] doesn't want to share that he has that much influence and power, then it also confirms my report.  But he was told to speak with him last Wednesday and he spoke with him yesterday about changing his mind.  And I was actually told that it didn't even work initially.  Zach said "thanks but no thanks.  This is what I'm going to do moving forward". Now someone from Zach's side of this did reach out that if he was going to be named the starting QB, he is going to get out there and play.  And he has now changed his mind on this and will be doing this. 

It's frustrating because I don't think people can see through it.  That's where it's frustrating. But the Jets know I know.  ZW knows I know.  And AR8 once again has gone on TV to refute a report that's accurate and he knows it and he just won't admit it.  So I know he wants people to put their name on it but he can also just acknowledge that yeah.  He could've easily come out here and just said "yeah, he was contemplating it.  How could he not?!"

Kay Show: Do you believe that if they end up 4-13 that there will be changes or are they going to run it back and just gamble on Aaron Rodgers?

The sense that I get is that, as long as Aaron wants the people in place to be where they're at - the coordinators, the head coach, the GM - if he wants that  ownership will then agree to that.  Aaron Rodgers has all the power in the Jets' organization.  If he wants that then they'll do it. 

Is your sense that this power that Rodgers has is being forced or manipulated by Rodgers?  Or just the power just comes from the fact that he gives them the best chance to win and they have no other choice?

No, I don't think he walks around with a crown on his head like he's the king of NY.  I think he's respected because of the caliber of player he is.  His understanding of what a winning culture should look like compared to what it's been.  The stories that I have been told about how Aaron Rodgers has affected this Jets' organization in a positive way is overwhelming.  I've never covered a player that has changed the way people operate on a daily basis by him just being in a room.  And that's a credit to what he can do.  And this is why he gets all the respect.  And why everyone is making so many excuses for some of the things he says and some of the shots he takes.  Because he's that good of a football player.  And he has this magnetic way to lead.  And they need him for that reason.  And as long as Aaron is in NY they're winning, in their mind, because of this effect.  And this entire year was built around him.  And now obviously with him being gone since week 1, you see what happens when an entire organization builds something around just 1 person, it completely falls apart.  So the hope is that he gets healthy, he gets ready to go, he comes back next year, and everything we saw this past season in terms of the staff and the way it looks will be in place next year and they'll just run this back.

I put my ass on the line behind that sieve you call an OL and that turf that’s shredded, knees, ankles, and tendons week after week with a game plan by a guy who doesn’t know what the red zone is and you’re benching me for Tim effing Boyle?

I had to listen to your hallmark cards platitudes for 3 years and your benching me?

Show an ounce of loyalty and cut me now so I can get away from this miserable organization.

The team quit on Saleh last year.  They quit on him this year and Saleh hasn’t shown an ounce of loyalty to his players.  They cut guys who don’t play every week but when they could make trades to improve the team crickets.   

Zach has been thrown under the bus two years in a row by JD and Saleh.  The “reset” he needed never happened.  Now Zach is the bad guy for being “reluctant” to play for this third rate organization.

Zach has been awful, he’s not the bad guy here.  The HC and GM are.  

• Upvote 1