After watching him against the Texans I keep Zach until I know for certain he sucks.

nyjets1969

4 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

It's game like this that confuses me he plays solid then he sucks until I know he can't be a serviceable QB I'm not trading him if he becomes a late bloomer like Geno this team looks even dumber. They wasted 3 years on him, I'm keeping him for length of contract to see how he turns out. Its not like they are drafting a QB next year plus Jets take a massive cap hit. Bring in a vet to compete as back up let the cards fall. I'm not Zach fan but I'm sick of seeing the Jets blow stuff like this he is under contract for 2 more years if a team offers a second or higher yes if not Zach can sit here he might be playing now for his career but he is still under contract so he can't go anywhere.

Did you just start to watch the Jets today? I mean did you see all the other games he played this season? 

8 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

It's game like this that confuses me he plays solid then he sucks until I know he can't be a serviceable QB I'm not trading him if he becomes a late bloomer like Geno this team looks even dumber. They wasted 3 years on him, I'm keeping him for length of contract to see how he turns out. Its not like they are drafting a QB next year plus Jets take a massive cap hit. Bring in a vet to compete as back up let the cards fall. I'm not Zach fan but I'm sick of seeing the Jets blow stuff like this he is under contract for 2 more years if a team offers a second or higher yes if not Zach can sit here he might be playing now for his career but he is still under contract so he can't go anywhere.

Dude today is proof with even remotely decent play calling Zach is serviceable. If not better. Took his awhile but KC this year he has played good.

• Upvote 1

No matter what side you fall on the Zach debate, even the haters need to admit that just for today, he looked like a competent QB today. But on the flip side, even the Zach backers must admit that today’s performance was probably an anomaly. 

Only Zach can change the rhetoric. He’s very fortunate to still be given the opportunity. Personally, I wish him best of luck for the rest of the season. The playoff hopes are long gone but I think it’s important that the entire team continues to play hard and play to Win, Not go through the motions. Like all of you, I’m sick and tired of drafting QB after QB after QB. But, I’m not holding my breath that Zach will improve. He’s been consistently bad and the stats prove it. So, let him play the rest of season and who knows, maybe he’ll grow a pair along the way.

As for trading him, the only reason you’d do it is if he becomes a major distraction. Aaron is the distraction . If he never got injured ,we’re not having this debate. No team is giving more than a 4th rounder anyway . He’s worth more than that just for the long shot chance that he is a late bloomer. Plus, you’ve invested 3 years in him, you have him under contract next year, what’s one more? If management still wants him around, they should ignore the fan bellyaching and keep him around but for love of God, get a real backup QB.

remember:
If the Rodgers experiment fails next year, they’re ALL canned anyway.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Did you just start to watch the Jets today? I mean did you see all the other games he played this season? 

I've seen it all been the biggest Zach hater on here didn't even want to draft him. Here is my issue the guy is under contract for another year some QBs are late bloomers rather make sure he completely sucks then trade him for peanuts and he plays like he did yesterday just shows the stupidity of the franchise and the fan base. Your not drafting a QB next year they are all in on Rogers most your getting is Jacoby Brisset and Roger isn't playing a full season at 41. So use some common sense your only getting 7th round pick and taking a 11 million cap hit because you hate the kid isn't a smart way of building a winning franchise. If they trade him better be for a high pick or screw it let him rot here.

No matter what side you fall on the Zach debate, even the haters need to admit that just for today, he looked like a competent QB today. But on the flip side, even the Zach backers must admit that today’s performance was probably an anomaly. 

Only Zach can change the rhetoric. He’s very fortunate to still be given the opportunity. Personally, I wish him best of luck for the rest of the season. The playoff hopes are long gone but I think it’s important that the entire team continues to play hard and play to Win, Not go through the motions. Like all of you, I’m sick and tired of drafting QB after QB after QB. But, I’m not holding my breath that Zach will improve. He’s been consistently bad and the stats prove it. So, let him play the rest of season and who knows, maybe he’ll grow a pair along the way.
As for trading him, the only reason you’d do it is if he becomes a major distraction. Aaron is the distraction . If he never got injured ,we’re not having this debate. No team is giving more than a 4th rounder anyway . He’s worth more than that just for the long shot chance that he is a late bloomer. Plus, you’ve invested 3 years in him, you have him under contract next year, what’s one more? If management still wants him around, they should ignore the fan bellyaching and keep him around but for love of God, get a real backup QB.
remember:
If the Rodgers experiment fails next year, they’re ALL canned anyway.
Excellent and spot on post. If Zach balls out the remainder of the season... You still need to bring it equivalent talent at a minimum for the backup spot.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

I've seen it all been the biggest Zach hater on here didn't even want to draft him. Here is my issue the guy is under contract for another year some QBs are late bloomers rather make sure he completely sucks then trade him for peanuts and he plays like he did yesterday just shows the stupidity of the franchise and the fan base. Your not drafting a QB next year they are all in on Rogers most your getting is Jacoby Brisset and Roger isn't playing a full season at 41. So use some common sense your only getting 7th round pick and taking a 11 million cap hit because you hate the kid isn't a smart way of building a winning franchise. If they trade him better be for a high pick or screw it let him rot here.

This is the most non-critical thinking. Zach's biggest problem is he can't  read defenses and is not an accurate passer. All you saw yesterday is his once or twice a year good game. He does this every season. There was no pressure on Zach yesterday.  He has been told you are gone after this season and the best thing you can do for yourself is play. This season when he needed to make a play, not only had he not, but he turned the ball over at a high rate. As far as turning into a another Geno Smith, who cares. Geno isn't  winning anything in Seattle. He isn't  taking them to a SB and it took him 10 years of hanging around to get to this level. It's  like you are forgetting how bad he was on the Jets and even the Giants. Don't  tell me the Giants can't  develop a QB. They did pretty good with Eli. 

Just take what you can. If Rodgers can't  play again next season, do you really want another season of Zach? 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Zach averages 32 pass attempts per game, and that’s including the bookend Bills games, where he 1. Came in after Rodgers went down and threw it 15 times and 2. The game where he got benched and threw it 21 times. On the season, he’s averaged 7.5 air yards per attempt. Yesterday, he threw it 36 times for an average of 6.8 air yards per attempt. This idea that Saleh “took off the handcuffs” or “let Zach rip” is ludicrous. This is the same Texans defense that lost to Bryce Young earlier this season. They played a lot of zone and elected not to tackle Breece Hall in the flats.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't believe yesterday was some revelation for Zach. He occasionally sprinkles in a good performance between many poor ones. 

But in the off chance that he's able to repeat this performance these next few weeks, then Saleh will have a lot of explaining to do.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I get why many would be resistant to the idea that ZW turned the corner and has arrived, but seriously the best thing to happen for the Jets would be for it to be true. So, I’ll be rooting hard for ZW for the remainder of the season.

I'd be interested to know why you think thats the best thing at this point.

1. In 2024, Aaron Rodgers is the unquestionable, undisputed starting QB.  Barring injury (#4plays) of course.

2. 2024 is Zachs fourth, and final, year of his original rookie contract.  He is unlikely to play.

3. A decision then needs made on his 5th year option.  At that cost level, there is almost nothing Zach could show the rest of this season to warrant that kind of investment.

4. Rookie QB's are great because of you have several years at affordable slot prices.  That time is effectively over for Zach by the time he might be competing to start again.

5. After three years of mostly poop, is one game or two games enough to convince you he's really those two games, not the 32 games prior?

What outcome are you seeing given the above that you are rooting hard for?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

if he is traded we dont take a cap hit, the new team does. thats why i dont think he gets traded.

you just cant keep Zach and watch him fail year after year. its time to move on. 

29 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Like I said in my previous post, I don't believe yesterday was some revelation for Zach. He occasionally sprinkles in a good performance between many poor ones. 

But in the off chance that he's able to repeat this performance these next few weeks, then Saleh will have a lot of explaining to do.

I didn’t mean to sound like I was coming at you specifically, but I’d seen that idea floated by both Rosenblatt and Hughes so I vented in my response. 👊🏻

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

If today ends up being some revelation that Saleh has had handcuffs on Zach for three years because he wants to play conservative, then he should be tarred and feathered. 

I don't believe this to be the case, but that would be criminal. Nearly wrecking a kid's career...

Even if this remotely has something to do with it, Saleh and the coaches are the ones who watch Knoblauch every day in practice, sit in the meeting rooms with him, and know him better than any of us do.

If they have been stressing the need for a more conservative game plan, there are surely reasons for that.

They don't trust him to make good decisions, his pocket instincts and habits are still very much a work in progress (to be kind), and he's never shown any semblance of higher level QB play for any kind of sustained period.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I get why many would be resistant to the idea that ZW turned the corner and has arrived, but seriously the best thing to happen for the Jets would be for it to be true. So, I’ll be rooting hard for ZW for the remainder of the season.

To be clear, I don’t disagree with this at all and I doubt many Zach “haters” do.

It just strikes me as exceedingly unlikely.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. In 2024, Aaron Rodgers is the unquestionable, undisputed starting QB.  Barring injury (#4plays) of course.

2. 2024 is Zachs fourth, and final, year of his original rookie contract.  He is unlikely to play.

3. A decision then needs made on his 5th year option.  At that cost level, there is almost nothing Zach could show the rest of this season to warrant that kind of investment.

4. Rookie QB's are great because of you have several years at affordable slot prices.  That time is effectively over for Zach by the time he might be competing to start again.

5. After three years of mostly poop, is one game or two games enough to convince you he's really those two games, not the 32 games prior?

1. Rodgers is and coming off a serious injury.

2. Agreed

3. They don't have to exercise his 5th year option and are free to sign him to an affordable contract.

4. Why do you think Zach's second contract would not be affordable?

5. He's had 1 very good game. He has 4 more to go. If he plays this well for 5 games straight, you really want to move on from him? Are you more invested in having ZW no longer be a Jet than you are in the success of the Jets?

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

3. They don't have to exercise his 5th year option and are free to sign him to an affordable contract.

4. Why do you think Zach's second contract would not be affordable?

These can be answered together.  Yes, he can be signed after a declined 5th year option.  But anyone can sign him then.  

There will be someone out there willing to try and salvage him other than us. 

Why would he want to stay with us, and why would we want to bid him up vs. another team?

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

5. He's had 1 very good game. He has 4 more to go. If he plays this well for 5 games straight, you really want to move on from him? Are you more invested in having ZW no longer be a Jet than you are in the success of the Jets?

I'm interested in the Super Bowl success of the Jets, and I don't think the Zach Wilson I've watched the past three seasons (including yesterday) would ever play a positive part in reaching that goal. 

As I've referenced, I wasn't convinced by Sam Darnold's late 6-2 record in garbage time in 2019 either, and that was 6 wins.  Not just one.  

Seems that you, on the other hand, do value this one game over the previous 30+ games.  

Extreme recency bias, and a more general 'always-liked-Zach' bias, at work?  I think so.    

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is the most non-critical thinking. Zach's biggest problem is he can't  read defenses and is not an accurate passer. All you saw yesterday is his once or twice a year good game. He does this every season. There was no pressure on Zach yesterday.  He has been told you are gone after this season and the best thing you can do for yourself is play. This season when he needed to make a play, not only had he not, but he turned the ball over at a high rate. As far as turning into a another Geno Smith, who cares. Geno isn't  winning anything in Seattle. He isn't  taking them to a SB and it took him 10 years of hanging around to get to this level. It's  like you are forgetting how bad he was on the Jets and even the Giants. Don't  tell me the Giants can't  develop a QB. They did pretty good with Eli. 

Just take what you can. If Rodgers can't  play again next season, do you really want another season of Zach? 

No you don't rely on Zach bring in a vet let Zach and him battle it out for the backup spot. If Zach sucks it up then you unload him no point in rushing to cut the guy until you have a real replacement. If Zach finishes this season with decent play you hold onto him unless some team is giving up a high pick other then that no rush to unload him no team is picking up his guaranteed money if anything they will wait fo the Jets to cut him. 

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Even if this remotely has something to do with it, Saleh and the coaches are the ones who watch Knoblauch every day in practice, sit in the meeting rooms with him, and know him better than any of us do.

If they have been stressing the need for a more conservative game plan, there are surely reasons for that.

They don't trust him to make good decisions, his pocket instincts and habits are still very much a work in progress (to be kind), and he's never shown any semblance of higher level QB play for any kind of sustained period.

this 100%

i think its starting to be obvious that this is all in Zachs head. maybe when he turns it over by INT he gets gun shy an effects his decision making. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

They have to exercise the 5th year option after year 3, meaning before next season starts. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

The haters literally want him run out of town.

I want a better QB for our post-Rodgers future.

36 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

They are upset that he performed well. 

Not in the least.

The Tank-fans tho, I could see them being a bit mad over a meaningless trash-time win.  

21 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

No you don't rely on Zach bring in a vet let Zach and him battle it out for the backup spot. If Zach sucks it up then you unload him no point in rushing to cut the guy until you have a real replacement. If Zach finishes this season with decent play you hold onto him unless some team is giving up a high pick other then that no rush to unload him no team is picking up his guaranteed money if anything they will wait fo the Jets to cut him. 

If Zach plays well which is highly doubtful,  he increases his value. If he sits next season, you will get nothing. 

• Upvote 1