who is the biggest bust

kmnj

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I feel like this is correct, but if you're factoring in opportunity cost, there needs to be about a thousand ellipses between Adams and everyone else, because nothing else comes close.

The difference between the two and the six pick is massive 

Also consider the firsts they got in return for Adams 

It's Zach wilson who is the biggest bust.

Way Higher draft pick, no trade return (what could jd even get for him) and it forced them to mortgage the franchise for Rodgers 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jolot said:

You’re right , but I think 75% of this board was screaming for Mahomes …I wasn’t one of them only cuz I really didn’t know much about him , but I’m not an nfl GM . Also I think we drafted Hackenberg the year before …just an all time miss on many levels 

No way lol. Less than a handful of posters, as in 5 or less out of thousands, wanted Mahomes. 

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

No way lol. Less than a handful of posters, as in 5 or less out of thousands, wanted Mahomes. 

You guys are on it , thank you for this important research . I will be sure to do my own specific research and fact check myself before posting going forward so as not to be community noted . I ran the numbers it looks like approximately 11.276% of posters wanted Mahomes over Adams . If it is ok I would like to round that up to 11.3%. Thanks in advance for the consideration. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

90% of the board thought I was crazy from October till about February, then others came around as the whole draft process developed.

Guys like @jif or whatever he changed his name to came around and was beating the drum for Watson and/or Mahomes.

Never was 75%.

Draft day it was still pretty small that was willing to draft him at 6 most said maybe a trade back or 2nd round but not at 6.

Wait 90% ? Are you sure that is correct ? Seems high . I humbly request a fact check on this #. 

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The difference between the two and the six pick is massive 

Also consider the firsts they got in return for Adams 

It's Zach wilson who is the biggest bust.

Way Higher draft pick, no trade return (what could jd even get for him) and it forced them to mortgage the franchise for Rodgers 

We passed on a guy who’s going to end up the best quarterback of all time for a safety who can’t cover. There’s no comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We passed on a guy who’s going to end up the best quarterback of all time for a safety who can’t cover. There’s no comparison.

Yea, if they had taken Watson instead of Mahomes, you could totally understand it. 

But they took Jamal Adams over Mahomes when all they had at QB was Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, kmnj said:

Zach-taken to be the franchise QB but might be one of the worst to ever put on the jersey

Joe D-drafted tons of bad players including not one but two first round busts in Zach and Becton-years after he took over the team still is as bad maybe worse than when he got here.  

Becton-slow fat and a bad player-he is the exact opposite of D Brick 

Saleh-terrible record and his team consistently quits on him

Woody-not sure the owner can be a bust per se but a fish dies from the head down so he is on the list.

P.S I tried to make a poll but I am not smart enough  to do so-guess I fit right in with the jets....

Joe Douglas, worst GM in NFL 

• Upvote 1

Did we ever consider seriously drafting Mahomes that year? I don't remember too much chatter about us taking a QB.

If you are talking opportunity cost, in 2018, we were locked in on taking a QB, but passed on both Allen and Lamar. 

Darnold, who I loved pre-draft, is as big a bust as we have had. 

Vernon Gholston would be the biggest bust.

Christian Hackenburg 2nd biggest for what drafting him lead to.

Wilson is high up there.

Becton is high up as well.  This one is the biggest indictment on many jets fans for me.  He showed his character and his flaws early on and people totally ignored them and defended him to the hilt for years.

I'd not consider Jamal Adams a bust.   Most overrated player in the league for about 3 years but not a bust.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Did we ever consider seriously drafting Mahomes that year? I don't remember too much chatter about us taking a QB.

If you are talking opportunity cost, in 2018, we were locked in on taking a QB, but passed on both Allen and Lamar. 

Darnold, who I loved pre-draft, is as big a bust as we have had. 

We had Hackenberg.  He was working with Jeff Christensen to correct his flaws and going to be "our franchise QB for the next decade."  Another reason that pick was much worse than just a complete and total waste of #40 overall.

• Post of the Week 1

At the time, the majority of this board wanted to draft Watson.  A few were high on Trubisky and a few were high on Mahomes.

I thought they all looked like big question mark busts (I thought Watson would be average).  I wanted Christian Mcaffrey or a trade down to get Watt/Peppers or a TE (OJ Howard etc).

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

15th?  Like McDonald?  I'd trade McDonald and Adams for Mahomes. Wouldn't you?

This is drafting in hindsight and there were several pro bowl players the Jets passed on for Zach too 

Not to mention that Adams made all pro. 

If we're talking about mistakes trading up for darnold 3 seconds instead of Quenton Nelson was terrible as was passing on Lamar 

What makes Zach the biggest bust is that the 2 is the highest Jets pick since Keyshawn 

It hurts to miss at 6 it hurts worse to miss at 3 but missing at 2 is criminal 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hackenberg needs to make this list.

Only a # 40 overall pick, sure.  But he was a 6th round caliber prospect and he never played an NFL snap.  

Us PSU fans called him undraftable on draft day. Most obvious bust ever AND the fact Mac took him was probably a factor in us not looking at the Mahomes/Watson class seriously. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We had Hackenberg.  He was working with Jeff Christensen to correct his flaws and going to be "our franchise QB for the next decade."  Another reason that pick was much worse than just a complete and total waste of #40 overall.

Maybe Hackenberg was a factor, but I thought the Adams selection was more about waiting until 2018 to take the QB. Either Cousins in free agency, or the draft. I believe we were locked in on Darnold & Rosen from a long way out. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, if they had taken Watson instead of Mahomes, you could totally understand it. 

But they took Jamal Adams over Mahomes when all they had at QB was Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg 

Maccagnan had already decided that he wanted Sam or baker before that draft. He soft tanked by cutting decker and Harris. He didn’t get close enough to draft those 2 guys so he traded 3 seconds.  According to the breer article they thought Watson and Mahomes were fine QBs, just not culture changers. It’s quite a bizarre story 

15 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Maybe Hackenberg was a factor, but I thought the Adams selection was more about waiting until 2018 to take the QB. Either Cousins in free agency, or the draft. I believe we were locked in on Darnold & Rosen from a long way out. 

Yeah, that was another of the spins.  Still criminal to go into a season intentionally tanking and trading up for the fourth best QB in the draft class when two better QBs were sitting there at your pick.  Bonus points for picking a guy in the 2nd that made taking Paxton Lynch in the first look smart. 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

you'd have Mahomes, Quenton Nelson and 3 seconds if we didn't take Adams

While most of us look at your statement and immediately start dreaming about what Mahomes and Quentin Nelson could've done for the franchise, @The Crusher is mesmerized by thoughts of "having seconds" 3 different times!

And, yes, I know they would be considered "thirds" and "fourths" but work with me here!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we are adding in the opportunity cost, I think that Ken O'Brien would be first on the list by not selecting top 5-10 QB of all time. I am not blaming Kenny O and I love the guy but he is a ranch in Medicine Park, Oklahoma vs. Marino's 1000 acre valley.

Yep, just imagine all those Super Bowl Championships we missed out on by passing over Marino 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Maccagnan had already decided that he wanted Sam or baker before that draft. He soft tanked by cutting decker and Harris. He didn’t get close enough to draft those 2 guys so he traded 3 seconds.  According to the breer article they thought Watson and Mahomes were fine QBs, just not culture changers. It’s quite a bizarre story 

Sounds laughable now, but that was another reason Maccagnan drafted Adams. He wanted to establish the right culture first, before bringing in a QB. #Prez was seen as someone who could fit that mold. 

And to be fair, Adams was a locker room leader for a while there when he first joined. At least in his own mind. Problem was his ego couldn't handle adversity when it hit, and he was a box safety so it was a waste of draft resources. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

While most of us look at your statement and immediately start dreaming about what Mahomes and Quentin Nelson could've done for the franchise, @The Crusher is mesmerized by thoughts of "having seconds" 3 different times!

And, yes, I know they would be considered "thirds" and "fourths" but work with me here!

Excuse me? I call that Monday pal!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah, that was another of the spins.  Still criminal to go into a season intentionally tanking and trading up for the fourth best QB in the draft class when two better QBs were sitting there at your pick.  Bonus points for picking a guy in the 2nd that made taking Paxton Lynch in the first look smart. 

Don't think we ever even looked at Lamar. We met with Allen a couple of times, but sounds like it was always one of Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. And we were supposed to believe that we liked all three, justifying the trade up, without knowing who would be there when we picked. 

Sound QB evaluation right there. 

Whatever happened to Brian Hermerdinger by the way. 

2 hours ago, Jolot said:

You guys are on it , thank you for this important research . I will be sure to do my own specific research and fact check myself before posting going forward so as not to be community noted . I ran the numbers it looks like approximately 11.276% of posters wanted Mahomes over Adams . If it is ok I would like to round that up to 11.3%. Thanks in advance for the consideration. 

I wasn’t trying to be snarky towards you, sorry if it came off that way.

More towards the ones in this thread saying that we passed on Mahomes for Jamal. None of them wanted Mahomes. No one knew how good he was going to be. Some of them wanted Deshaun Watson, but they’ve changed their narratives over the years.