Aaron Rodgers Still Wants To Come Back And Play This Season

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

On Benigno's interview on WFAN with Evan and Tiki, they mentioned that AR8 still wants to come back and play this season.

Some thoughts/questions:

Maybe AR8 doesn't want the organization to make rash moves.  Maybe he wants to get in there and show that they can win with him in there and create some momentum and good feelings for next season?

Or maybe it's just hot air, an attempt to make himself look better (look how hard to he worked to get back!) without any actual intention, by Rodgers OR the team, to actually have him play.

Some of you are truly easy marks for stuff like this.  You probably believe all the things Coaches and GM's say in their pressers too.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

On Benigno's interview on WFAN with Evan and Tiki, they mentioned that AR8 still wants to come back and play this season.

Some thoughts/questions:

Maybe AR8 doesn't want the organization to make rash moves.  Maybe he wants to get in there and show that they can win with him in there and create some momentum and good feelings for next season?

Will JD/Saleh allow AR8 to play?  Aside from it opening up the possibility for this franchise to utterly and completely go down in flames if he gets injured, isn't AR8 the only thing potentially keeping JD/Saleh in their jobs next season?  If he gets hurt, they're probably both gone (and AR8 might retire anyway).

From AR8's perspective, if he gets hurt but doesn't retire, I would think the Jets will absolutely try to draft a QB in the 1st round.  Obviously that wouldn't be the approach that he'd want.

How much does it matter to AR8 to prove he can come back from the injury in record time?  Does he see this as part of his legacy?  I think that's part of his motivation but certainly not the main part.

I think as much of an egomaniac as AR8 is, he is trying to do the right thing and has stated that he feels guilt over his injury. I think he is trying to show that

• He is here for the team and has been on the sidelines to prove it
  • What the offense could look like if he played
  • Give some hope and momentum to close out the season
  • Avoid a regime turnover
  • Avoid drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round
  • Prove to the doubters that he can come back 100%

I think that the thing Rodgers really needs to do and say (not necessarily publicly if he doesn't want to but privately if need be) is that he is committed here for at least 2 more seasons, none of this wishy-washy year to year stuff. Commit and let's go. Otherwise, you can't pass up on drafting a QB in the 1st, or changing GM/HC if you want to, just to appease a 1 year rental.

33 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think as much of an egomaniac as AR8 is, he is trying to do the right thing and has stated that he feels guilt over his injury. I think he is trying to show that

• He is here for the team and has been on the sidelines to prove it
  • What the offense could look like if he played
  • Give some hope and momentum to close out the season
  • Avoid a regime turnover
  • Avoid drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round
  • Prove to the doubters that he can come back 100%

I think that the thing Rodgers really needs to do and say (not necessarily publicly if he doesn't want to but privately if need be) is that he is committed here for at least 2 more seasons, none of this wishy-washy year to year stuff. Commit and let's go. Otherwise, you can't pass up on drafting a QB in the 1st, or changing GM/HC if you want to, just to appease a 1 year rental.

I wanted AR8 here and still have a lot of gratitude to him for even agreeing to take on this challenge.  He seems like a good dude to me (at least from what I've seen since we acquired him) and I think he gets too much crap from people.  I love his takes on big pharma too, btw.

That said, if we have a shot at a potential FQB in the 1st round, we absolutely need to make that the pick.

• Upvote 1

I can see him playing for sure

show that with him out there , there is hope for next year and to take the heat off of Joe and Saleh

If arod plays and throws 4 tds everybody that jumped off the bandwagon will jump back on and have optimism over the summer

I would not play him but I would also sit Wilson and Breece too at this point 

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wanted AR8 here and still have a lot of gratitude to him for even agreeing to taking on this challenge.  He seems like a good dude to me (at least from what I've seen since we acquired him) and I think he gets too much crap from people.  I love his takes on big pharma too, btw.

That said, if we have a shot at a potential FQB in the 1st round, we absolutely need to make that the pick.

I agree and if he wants to pull rank and demand that we go all in etc....well he has to commit to being here for 2-3 years.

Or else all bets should be off and we should be looking to the future, because honestly even with a great free agency + draft + healthy AR8 I don't think that we are winning the Super Bowl next year.

We will need a couple of off seasons and a complete revamp on how we are scouting (pro + collegiate) OL and coaching them + training them. 

2024 if all goes well we should make the playoffs, build some offensive chemistry and set the foundation for an all in run in 2025 (again if AR8 is committing to 2025/2026).

Yeah I just don't see it.  Maybe he dresses and backs up Zach, but I don't see how they risk starting him in meaningless games.  I guess the only benefit would be seeing what this offense looks like with a competent QB.  I'd imagine even a rusty ass Rodgers still equals out to a league average quarterback.  It might give us a better idea of what the major needs truly are on this offense.  A bad QB can make every aspect of an offense look like sh*t.  

Problem is, I don't want this team to win another freaking game this year.  We're playing Washington and New England so chances are we'll win at least one of those, but still.  Keep me in position to draft Alt, Nabers, or Bowers and I'm happy.  

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Yeah I just don't see it.  Maybe he dresses and backs up Zach, but I don't see how they risk starting him in meaningless games.  I guess the only benefit would be seeing what this offense looks like with a competent QB.  I'd imagine even a rusty ass Rodgers still equals out to a league average quarterback.  It might give us a better idea of what the major needs truly are on this offense.  A bad QB can make every aspect of an offense look like sh*t.  

Problem is, I don't want this team to win another freaking game this year.  We're playing Washington and New England so chances are we'll win at least one of those, but still.  Keep me in position to draft Alt, Nabers, or Bowers and I'm happy.  

But if you dress him, you are putting him at risk. The backup QB is always one play from going in there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

But if you dress him, you are putting him at risk. The backup QB is always one play from going in there. 

That wouldn't be my preference, but if it's a matter of finding a compromise with this dude that would probably be the extent that I'd be willing to go.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Or maybe it's just hot air, an attempt to make himself look better (look how hard to he worked to get back!) without any actual intention, by Rodgers OR the team, to actually have him play.

Some of you are truly easy marks for stuff like this.  You probably believe all the things Coaches and GM's say in their pressers too.

This could definitely be the case.

I did think Saleh not putting the Rodgers stuff to bed yesterday was odd (would have been so easy for him to do).

I do think it’s at least possible that Rodgers really does want to play to be able to say that he did it, which would feed his massive ego. 

It really all depends on the results here. If Rodgers plays and plays well, the Jets look great. If he plays and gets hurt, it’s a disaster.

IMO scared money don’t make money. If he is medically cleared and can go, let him go play on Sunday. 

Either way I don’t particularly care at this juncture

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think "disaster" covers it.  It would be a historic f'up.  The kind that gets talked about for years and years onward.

Like O'Brien over Marino.  And the Buttfumble.  But worse.

If he tears his acl or blows out his Achilles again he would still be ready week 1 next year.  So not sure how it could compare to passing on Marino that effected us for over a decade. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he tears his acl or blows out his Achilles again he would still be ready week 1 next year.

Or he might not ever play again. 

Re-blown Achilles or blown knee at 40 immediately after a blown Achilles?  No sure things there, physically or mentally.

But sure, it's totally worth that risk for a ultra-short-term PR/Ego move in a long-looooooong-since-lost season.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think "disaster" covers it.  It would be a historic f'up.  The kind that gets talked about for years and years onward.

It would be considered the worst decision in sports history.

it would amplify our loser franchise status to new heights. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Meh. He’s over 40 and likely won’t be very good whenever he plays. Franchise might be better off with him dying Sunday, cleaning house and moving on from this current crap show.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

Meh. He’s over 40 and likely won’t be very good whenever he plays. Franchise might be better off with him dying Sunday, cleaning house and moving on from this current crap show.

You could totally make this argument and there’s something to be said for it BUT it would be portrayed by the media as the biggest disaster in sports history 

• Upvote 1