Which WR will the Jets acquire this offseason?

A lot of talk has been about the OL and QB positions, but adding a perimeter WR is a move the Jets (and Rodgers) have made clear that they have been angling to do since the trade deadline.

Analyzing what they currently have, they realistically only need one piece at WR. Garrett Wilson is the bonafide #1, Lazard (hopefully) improves as the WR3/4 and with a healthy Rodgers throwing to him, Gipson maintains a situational role, Browlee serves as a backup, and Irv Charles sticks as a core special teamer. It’s very possible that they acquire more than one, but chances are they would be depth options to compete with Gipson/Brownlee/Charles.

It was reported that the Jets reached out to LV, TB, and CIN to see the availability of Davante Adams, Mike Evans, and Tee Higgins, but they were not available first go around. None of them are a given. Adams may opt to remain on the west coast, Evans could be franchised/remain in TB, and Tee Higgins is likely to be franchise tagged (possibly traded thereafter). Still, we’d face stiff competition for all. Below are all the names I’m monitoring as potential FAs/trade candidates: 

• Davante Adams - he’s going to be the Jets top target. If Adams wants to be traded, I think it’ll happen. I don’t think that’s a given though. Rodgers doesn’t control Adams (after all it was his decision to leave GB for LV), and Adams may decide he wants to remain on the west coast- especially if he buys into whatever plan the Raiders have after this season.You also have to consider what the draft capital 
  • Mike Evans - if Evans makes it to FA, he’s the guy I expect them to land. But will he hit FA? Have to think he’ll remain in TB if they pony up the money. Also can’t rule out the franchise tag.  
  • Tee Higgins - Higgins will probably be franchise tagged, but there’s a chance (likely?) he’s traded. Jets issue is he wants to be a WR1 and will likely go to the highest bidder. 
  • Michael Pittman - I doubt he gets out of IND; chances are he will be franchise tagged if not extended. 
  • Calvin Ridley - don’t think they will go down this road. They were interested in him a few years ago, but that was before acquiring Wilson. They’re going to target bigger body separators.
  • Hollywood Brown - see Calvin Ridley. 
  • Mike Williams - no one talks about him as an option, but I think this will have legs. Chargers have cap issues and will need to start relocating some assets. If the new coach/GM likes Johnston, wouldn’t surprise me to see MW traded. 
  • Terry McLaurin - I don’t think he’ll be traded, but there’s at least a chance the new administration will move him as a part of a rebuild. He’d be among my favorite options available- just an overall complete player. 
  • DK Metcalf - another darkhorse, but he fits the mold of receiver the Jets will be looking for. It’s been somewhat under the radar but he and the Seahawks have been at odds over his on-field antics… 

Feel free to add any names you have thought of and discuss

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

A lot of talk has been about the OL and QB positions, but adding a perimeter WR is a move the Jets (and Rodgers) have made clear that they have been angling to do since the trade deadline.

Analyzing what they currently have, they realistically only need one piece at WR. Garrett Wilson is the bonafide #1, Lazard (hopefully) improves as the WR3/4 and with a healthy Rodgers throwing to him, Gipson maintains a situational role, Browlee serves as a backup, and Irv Charles sticks as a core special teamer. It’s very possible that they acquire more than one, but chances are they would be depth options to compete with Gipson/Brownlee/Charles.

It was reported that the Jets reached out to LV, TB, and CIN to see the availability of Davante Adams, Mike Evans, and Tee Higgins, but they were not available first go around. None of them are a given. Adams may opt to remain on the west coast, Evans could be franchised/remain in TB, and Tee Higgins is likely to be franchise tagged (possibly traded thereafter). Still, we’d face stiff competition for all. Below are all the names I’m monitoring as potential FAs/trade candidates: 

• Davante Adams - he’s going to be the Jets top target. If Adams wants to be traded, I think it’ll happen. I don’t think that’s a given though. Rodgers doesn’t control Adams (after all it was his decision to leave GB for LV), and Adams may decide he wants to remain on the west coast- especially if he buys into whatever plan the Raiders have after this season.You also have to consider what the draft capital 
  • Mike Evans - if Evans makes it to FA, he’s the guy I expect them to land. But will he hit FA? Have to think he’ll remain in TB if they pony up the money. Also can’t rule out the franchise tag.  
  • Tee Higgins - Higgins will probably be franchise tagged, but there’s a chance (likely?) he’s traded. Jets issue is he wants to be a WR1 and will likely go to the highest bidder. 
  • Michael Pittman - I doubt he gets out of IND; chances are he will be franchise tagged if not extended. 
  • Calvin Ridley - don’t think they will go down this road. They were interested in him a few years ago, but that was before acquiring Wilson. They’re going to target bigger body separators.
  • Mike Williams - no one talks about him as an option, but I think this will have legs. Chargers have cap issues and will need to start relocating some assets. If the new coach/GM likes Johnston, wouldn’t surprise me to see MW traded. 
  • Terry McLaurin - I don’t think he’ll be traded, but there’s at least a chance the new administration will move him as a part of a rebuild. He’d be among my favorite options available- just an overall complete player. 
  • DK Metcalf - another darkhorse, but he fits the mold of receiver the Jets will be looking for. It’s been somewhat under the radar but he and the Seahawks have been at odds over his on-field antics… 

I agree with most of this. Ridley is intriguing to me even if he is physically similar to Garrett. I'm not sure the team would immediately discount him because he's not a huge target (particularly since they still have Lazard). 

What is a trade package for Williams or Metcalf going to look like?

12 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree with most of this. Ridley is intriguing to me even if he is physically similar to Garrett. I'm not sure the team would immediately discount him because he's not a huge target (particularly since they still have Lazard). 

What is a trade package for Williams or Metcalf going to look like?

Metcalf would be massive. Likely 1st round value. Williams much less. Coming off an injury and turning 30, I would think 3rd/4th round value. 

I am not optimistic on this, but historically:

• Teams without QBs or with too many holes let their WRs walk, or traded them to build up their teams.  This is what will happen with Garrett Wilson in 3 years.   So the Jets should be able to get someone.  Getting one also usually costs a lot, a lot of money.  
  • OTs tend never free up.  We are delusional if we think we can find a top one without drafting him.
  • I can see the Jets trading next year’s first round pick for a top half second round pick, and using that traded for pick to draft a WR, for this year. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd draft one. It'll come cheaper. And there are good ones even if we trade down, look at this guy Flowers on the Ravens who was drafted overall 22. 

I prefer this, but with the OL draft class so strong/FA class so weak it feels like they’re pigeonholed. And a team who wants to win now probably not going into the draft eying a 3rd round receiver being a starter. Can absolutely find one by accident but just don’t see it being a realistic team building strategy where we stand. Don’t think the Jets have the balls to do it either 

• Upvote 1

If they could get Davante for a 3rd and lets say 2nd next year, i'd be good with that. Raiders are NOT getting a 1st from anyone for him. Makes zero sense to retain him when they don't a QB to throw to him. They need to draft a QB in this draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in a shocking trade like the 49'ers made to get trey lance and pick up Maye or Caleb.  Evans would be very costly and multiple years and he's getting up there.  I'd pass.  Higgins wouldn't be a bad choice since he's a FA, still young and in his prime. He'd be a nice compliment to GW.  The others are pipe dreams or not really a good compliment to GW.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

1) Higgins

2) Evans

3) Adams

That's how I think the Jets view it. I agree with your assessment though, gonna be a lot of competition for WRs. If Metcalf becomes available, he'd be my top option. Tyler Boyd is a WR I'd like to keep an eye on as well.

I do not think any of them will be available.  We should for sure at least try for them but I do not see it happening.

Bengals will find a way to keep higgins

Evans likes it in tampa i believe and will stay there.

Adams we only get if we grossly over pay trade wise.

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

If they could get Davante for a 3rd and lets say 2nd next year, i'd be good with that. Raiders are NOT getting a 1st from anyone for him. Makes zero sense to retain him when they don't a QB to throw to him. They need to draft a QB in this draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in a shocking trade like the 49'ers made to get trey lance and pick up Maye or Caleb.  Evans would be very costly and multiple years and he's getting up there.  I'd pass.  Higgins wouldn't be a bad choice since he's a FA, still young and in his prime. He'd be a nice compliment to GW.  The others are pipe dreams or not really a good compliment to GW.

I agree on compensation for Adams. If he wants to be traded, that’s the max price I see the Jets giving up too. He’s going to be their primary target, but what we don’t know is if he would want to come here. Again, he chose the Raiders as his destination- it’s not like the Packers forced him to go there. Carr was a heavy influence on that but as was his desire to be on the west coast. Should be interesting to follow 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Adams left Rodgers once why do we thin he wants to be back with him?

Also Antonio pierce is doing well and is winning players over.

Raiders have no reason to trade him and no reason to trade him unless they get a vast over pay.

They are not going to do the jets a favor for no reason at all.

A 3rd rounder?   Not happening especially when the raiders just saw a desperate joe douglas hand green bay for rodgers.

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

I agree on compensation for Adams. If he wants to be traded, that’s the max price I see the Jets giving up too. He’s going to be their primary target, but what we don’t know is if he would want to come here. Again, he chose the Raiders as his destination- it’s not like the Packers forced him to go there. Carr was a heavy influence on that but as was his desire to be on the west coast. Should be interesting to follow 

What about dhop?   He doesn’t have much gas left in the tank but is still a huge upgrade from Lazard. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Adams left Rodgers once why do we thin he wants to be back with him?

Also Antonio pierce is doing well and is winning players over.

Raiders have no reason to trade him and no reason to trade him unless they get a vast over pay.

They are not going to do the jets a favor for no reason at all.

A 3rd rounder?   Not happening especially when the raiders just saw a desperate joe douglas hand green bay for rodgers.

Raiders also have no state income tax

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Are you going to start one of these for the OL?

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Give me a FA.  We can't afford to trade picks.  

• Upvote 1