It’s official, jets have the 10th pick in the 2024 draft

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He’s excellent, but this just doesn’t seem like a team that has the luxury of taking such a non-premium position for an offense that needs at least 4 new starters.  He’s a weapon and would be a matchup advantage but it would feel a lot like taking a Safety in the Top 10 again.

Joe Douglas should be fired on the freaking spot if he takes Bowers at #10.

2nd round (or later) is the sweet spot for TEs in the draft:

Gronk

LaPorta

Kittle

TE reaches in the top 10 like Ebron and Vernon Davis are the sort of stupid picks that get GMs canned.

Even when the pick isn’t a bust (Hockenson #8 overall), it’s not worth it because the opportunity cost is so high.

1st round TEs in general are so sketchy.  

Even the Jets tried with Dustin Keller and failed.  

There is chaff like Noah Fant that gets over drafted every year based on athleticism and measurables that doesn’t translate to being an all-around NFL TE.

• Upvote 3

Every single year the draft landscape changes from end of the regular season to the actual draft. Senior Bowl, Combine and changes in front offices around the league mean that between now and when we actually pick there will be names that emerge from close to nowhere to being in the conversation for the top 10, and maybe one or two of those guys we think are locks to go in the first couple of picks will have their flaws exposed or do something disastrous (think Jalen Carter or Laremy Tunsil) 10th is not a bad place to be, there will be a great, future all-pro or maybe even HOF’ers available when we pick, the question is whether we actually take one of those guys. 10 is fine, unfortunately top 5 would’ve given us greater trade back flexibility but here we are,….we should be more worried about the missing 2nd rounder and sitting on our hands for about 100 picks when lots and lots of key talent will pass us by.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

He’s excellent, but this just doesn’t seem like a team that has the luxury of taking such a non-premium position for an offense that needs at least 4 new starters.  He’s a weapon and would be a matchup advantage but it would feel a lot like taking a Safety in the Top 10 again.

Yea I can understand that sentiment. I'm think it depends how you grade the other options and the ability to trade down. I'm not sure the Jets think they are THAT far off. 

My guess is it will come down to OT3-5, WR 4/5, or Bowers. Bowers is a filthy blocker and an elite weapon, I could see him being the perfect win now pick. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Neither of those guys are starting anywhere so coming to back up Rodgers would be a smart thing to do.  And they would get paid.JD cannopt go into next year with Semien as the back up.

I hope we land one of them

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think we will have an opportunity to draft either Nabers or Odunze and I’d be good with that 

Going through the exercise, I think the Jets have to pray that the following happens:

1. Bowers has a big combine and cements himself in the top 10.

2. Some of these edge defenders kill it in the lead up to the draft. 

If those things happen, I think they have a shot at 1 of the stud WRs you mentioned. I don't think a good OT candidate will be there. Fuaga is a bit of a wild card to me because some people I respect are high on him but I have not loved what I've seen on tape thus far. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Gronk

LaPorta

Kittle

TE reaches in the top 10 like Ebron and Vernon Davis are the sort of stupid picks that get GMs canned.

Even when the pick isn’t a bust (Hockenson #8 overall), it’s not worth it because the opportunity cost is so high.

There is chaff like Noah Fant that gets over drafted every year based on athleticism and measurables that doesn’t translate to being an all-around NFL TE.

I understand the point you're making but I'll offer the following:

-People said "don't draft an OSU QB" but have now changed their minds after CJ Stroud.

-We need a receiving threat opposite GW.  What's the difference if it comes in the form of a TE?  It might actually be better if it does because we can still upgrade WR with a FA this year (and then a draft pick down the road) and have a 3rd weapon on the field.

-Bowers is supposed to be a superstar prospect.  I like the idea of trying to bring in impact players when picking top 10

I still think it's far more likely that JD takes on OT though. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I understand the point you're making but I'll offer the following:

-People said "don't draft an OSU QB" but have now changed their minds after CJ Stroud.

-We need a receiving threat opposite GW.  What's the difference if it comes in the form of a TE?  It might actually be better if it does because we can still upgrade WR with a FA this year (and then a draft pick down the road) and have a 3rd weapon on the field.

-Bowers is supposed to be a superstar prospect.  I like the idea of trying to bring in impact players when picking top 10

I still think it's far more likely that JD takes on OT though. 

it's a reasonable point but I think its a little apples to oranges. I'm sure Bowers is a nice player and all but it usually takes these guys a couple years anyway. The te room is adequate at the least between Ruckert/Conklin/whomever they add in the offseason. The guy is going to have to immediately be George Kittle to make it worth burning a top ten pick on him. 

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

4 WRs, 4 OTs, 2 QBs, 1 TE.  There will be somebody there at #10 who can help the Jets without the need to trade up.

Could be 4 QBs if Penix shines tonight, two OT's, two WR's seems like a lock.  Leaving Odunze and Bowers and the 3rd OT to be the guy.  Pretty solid choices, glad we hung onto the 10th slot.  Atl, NE, Chi, Wash are all looking at QBs for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Gronk

LaPorta

Kittle

I disagree that they’re teaches at that spot.  However with Conklin and Ruckert were set there.  We need WR or OL

4 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Could be 4 QBs if Penix shines tonight, two OT's, two WR's seems like a lock.  Leaving Odunze and Bowers and the 3rd OT to be the guy.  Pretty solid choices, glad we hung onto the 10th slot.  Atl, NE, Chi, Wash are all looking at QBs for sure.

Chicago might keep fields for another season. They can really build that team up and see what fields is with a lot of talent around him. If it doesn’t work out, the next shot they take will be entering an amazing landing spot. Chicago has some decisions to make.

Just now, extmenace said:

Chicago might keep fields for another season. They can really build that team up and see what fields is with a lot of talent around him. If it doesn’t work out, the next shot they take will be entering an amazing landing spot. Chicago has some decisions to make.

An offense with moore, Marvin Harrison jr, plus an o linemen at 9. That offense could look pretty good quickly.

Have a feeling the pick is Fuaga and he plays RT for us (where he plays at OSU). And we sign Bak to play LT. With Warren as depth there. The question is what we do at OG. AVT should be back healthy. But he need to turn the page on Laken. So who replaces him? Haven’t dig into FA too deep yet. But I imagine we wait to cut Laken until we find something better. We know how JD and Saleh like those professional vets. 

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

We were going to miss out on both OT’s at #8

The Jets are still going to be able to land one of Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, Fuaga, etc.

People acting like the sky is falling is hilarious. Especially when the majority haven’t watched a single snap of these f*cking guys and are just going by what some basic bitch scouting report is telling them on CBS Sports or PFF in December/January.

We are picking 8th? I saw 10th. Every mock I have looked at has them going before that. 

Also, who cares if I watched them. I'm not a scout. The guys who write to stuff on the net are. I will go by what they say over what I see. Everyone here looked at Zach and there were threads that Zach looked so good, that Jax might take him over Lawrence. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

We are picking 8th? I saw 10th

We are picking 10th, but if we would’ve lost to the Pats I believe we would’ve picked #8.

Still likely not in position for Alt or Fashanu.

So we would’ve missed out on the Top 2 OT’s regardless.

I’m glad we got to piss in Belichick’s face during his New England encore and we’ll still be in position to get someone like Bowers, Odunze or one of the other OT’s.

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

We are picking 10th, but if we would’ve lost to the Pats I believe we would’ve picked #8.

Still likely not in position for Alt or Fashanu.

So we would’ve missed out on the Top 2 OT’s regardless.

I’m glad we got to piss in Belichick’s face during his New England encore and we’ll still be in position to get someone like Bowers, Odunze or one of the other OT’s.

Every mock I have seen has Fashanu available at 8. Stranger things have happened but I really am tired of getting g the consolation prize at a position of need. If we miss on both OT, I want the Jets to draft Nix. 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I can understand that sentiment. I'm think it depends how you grade the other options and the ability to trade down. I'm not sure the Jets think they are THAT far off. 

My guess is it will come down to OT3-5, WR 4/5, or Bowers. Bowers is a filthy blocker and an elite weapon, I could see him being the perfect win now pick. 

I guess I could be talked into it, especially if the obvious OT and WR candidates are off the board and the Jets are debating between guys like OT3 and OT4 or WR3 and WR4.  In that case, taking the best player at an offensive position, even if a non-premium spot, could make sense....especially if he helps in both the run and pass games.  I think seeing how Free Agency plays out for the Jets OLine and WR spots will go a long way to determining the likelihood that Bowers is a strong possibility.

Damn it Ryan, now you've got me talking myself into it. lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

Good point.  I know a lot of fans are down on yesterday's win but #10 will turn out to be a pretty decent spot in this Draft given the offensive talent available.  This Draft looks to be full of exactly the positions that the Jets would be interested in...OT, WR, and even a TE.  And, if a QB somehow drops to 10 then the Jets may have some tradeback opportunities given the next three teams behind them - Vikings (11), Broncos (12), Raiders (13)...who all have some degree of uncertainty or outright need at QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I guess I could be talked into it, especially if the obvious OT and WR candidates are off the board and the Jets are debating between guys like OT3 and OT4 or WR3 and WR4.  In that case, taking the best player at an offensive position, even if a non-premium spot, could make sense....especially if he helps in both the run and pass games.  I think seeing how Free Agency plays out for the Jets OLine and WR spots will go a long way to determining the likelihood that Bowers is a strong possibility.

Damn it Ryan, now you've got me talking myself into it. lol

WR3 in this draft could be a total baller. Odunze or Nabers. 

I'm just don't love taking TEs in the first round. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I got a video coming out tonight that highlights Fuaga, Latham, Mims, Odunze, and Bowers - was up til 4am doin research lol I was definitely in the same boat on TE like 2 weeks ago

Awesome!  I'll check it out for sure.

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

WR3 in this draft could be a total baller. Odunze or Nabers. 

I'm just don't love taking TEs in the first round. 

I'm in the same boat.  The debate could be TE1 vs. WR3.  In that case the high-level argument for me would be whether the offense would benefit more from a guy like Bowers who can help both the rushing and passing dimensions of the offense (given his blocking skills) -or- would it benefit from an elite WR prospect that would take pressure off Garrett Wilson.  I think an argument could be made for both, but I'd probably lean more towards WR as it also provides a bit of a hedge against Wilson eventually departing after his rookie deal.  We need to remember that both Sauce and GW are going to be up for extensions at the same time, along with JJ, in a couple years. 

IF the Jets sign or trade for a bonafide WR in FA (think Davante, Higgins, etc.) then the idea of adding Bowers becomes very intriguing.  I've already seen some good highlight film on Ruckert's blocking and how it has sprung Breece Hall a few times this year.  The idea of two TE sets with Bowers and Ruckert, Breece in the backfield, and Garrett Wilson and Davante outside seems other worldly.  (All this assumes the Jets do the right things on the OL in FA obviously)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, extmenace said:

Fields is trash.  148 yards passing 0 tds and 9 points yesterday 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fields is trash.  148 yards passing 0 tds and 9 points yesterday 

They are in a similar scenario as we were with Darnold. We draft Zach even though the team really wasn’t ready to throw a guy into the fire.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This one's the winner right here 👆

Actually you projected 6-8. I was way off.  I had us picking at 3-5.  As you know, each pick is worth 80 to 300 million sperms. So I was off by about a billion sperms. 👽

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Actually you projected 6-8. I was way off.  I had us picking at 3-5.  As you know, each pick is worth 80 to 300 million sperms. So I was off by about a billion sperms. 👽

I was right about the highest possible slot. I'm still confused how I was so blatantly off on the lowest possible slot, as the same SOS numbers were right in front of my face for the teams below us as they were for those ahead of us (at the time). As I said later that morning, after falling back asleep and waking up again, I attributed that to not paying attention due to not enough sleep, which has been a rude awakening necessity over my college years of decades ago.

I could've edited it my OP hours later instead of taking more arrows as the day(s) went on, but I've tossed more than enough such corrections towards others myself, had this coming to me anyway if you believe in karma & such, so I left it alone to let everyone get their shots in. All good.

Anyway yours was the cleverest retort, even if it wasn't the most biting of the lot. 

• Upvote 1