Derek Carr

I was in neither camp, so no victory laps for me. How bout we build an actual decent OL that won't get whoever the expensive QB is hurt? In the first two pass plays of the season, each OT basically whiffed on a block. And down goes Rodgers!

On 1/9/2024 at 7:55 AM, doitny said:

we dont know what we dont know, but the guy has avged over 20 TDs each year, we had 11 TDs from our QBs. i think he would have been better than 11. 

you can only play who is on your schedule. he lost by one to GB, 7 to the Texans and 5 to Detroit and 8 to the Rams. those are one score games. our defense is much better than the Saints. 

i counted 3 garbage time TDs..lol

he would have had Brodrick Jones as his LT. who knows how that would have improved the OL. i know having Jones here would make me feel better about the OL for our future.

i love Hall but he has struggle in games this year.

1st NE game 12 carries 1.2 ypc

Phila 12 carries 3.3 ypc

Giants 12 carries 1.4 ypc

LAC 16 carries 3.1 ypc

LVR 13 carries 2.2 ypc

Buffalo 12 carries 2.3 ypc

Atlanta 13 carries 1.2 ypc

Hall is a feast or famine RB. you cant keep giving him the ball when he is avging this during the game.

Averaging is not as moving of a point without looking at when they come, and without examining circumstances he'd have to deal with on the Jets -- most notably the OL all year long, crappy weather instead of 17 games of perfect weather, his WR2 retiring in August, and Carr isn't elite enough to overcome all that. 

The Saints' defense finished 9th in points against. The Jets finished 12th, surrendering 2 ppg more than New Orleans. 

I counted 5 garbage time TDs.

As a rookie Broderick Jones is suddenly a massive stabilizing force at LT (with this maroon as the OLC no less)? C'mon you don't even believe that yourself. 

Hall is not just a feast or famine QB from one game to the next, but more one carry to the next. He'd often get nothing, nothing, nothing, then 50 (figuratively speaking). Like when his "average" was over 7 ypc in the first 5 games, his typical carry wasn't nearly that high. He had like 4 really long runs despite not getting as many carries as other teams' every down backs. Trying to guess when a big play is going to happen is folly. Sometimes it happens after just a handful of carries (e.g. KC; one carry for 43, and 5 other carries for 13). Plus a lot of the reason he gets them is because the defense is in, so there's no one deep on each side to prevent a breakthrough run from exceeding 15-20. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Couldn’t even make the playoffs in the weakest division of the weak a$$ NFC.  I will be taking no such “L” sir.

I wanted Minshew as the QB2 and we’d be AFC East champs right now had the Jets followed my advice.

Well Minshew couldn't make the playoffs in the weakest division in the AFC. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So I think this speaks to the calculation they made last offseason—if the roster is good enough to make the playoffs with an average QB, what if we brought in a (formerly) elite QB for roughly the same money?

As I said last February: a.) He didn’t look formerly elite last year; he looked old and injured and a half-step from washed-up, and was by his own admission 90% retired, b.) It’s not just the money; it’s the draft picks, and c.) It’s not just the money and the draft picks; it’s dealing with all of his stupid bullsh*t, on football matters and otherwise.

So far, I’ve gotta say my calculation is looking at lot better than theirs!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, doitny said:

Derek Carr

68. 4 % comp........ 6th

3878 yds................13th

25 TDs......................10th

8 INTs..................... 2nd with QBs who started 16 games or more. only Lamar was better with 7 INTs

97.7 Rate................10th

56.4 QBR..................18th

so for all you guys who didnt want him here just take the loss.

oh and we would have had Brodrick Jones as our LT. and maybe T Cody Mauch or WR Jayden Reed with that 2nd rd pick we gave GB.

and dont blame JD, 95 % of you wanted Rodgers. 

Stats look good but the guy was down right terrible in a lot of spots. He disappears in big spots. This is one of those cases where the stats don’t tell the whole story. We would have been better with him? Sure, but I still perfer Rodgers for 2 years vs carr for 5. The goal is to make a deep playoff run, not just be average. Carr is the definition of average. Good enough to keep you in playoff hunt, but not good enough to do much more.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

You’re calling it the wrong move because he popped his Achilles before he was even able to complete a single pass in a Jets uniform.

Rodgers had previously gone 5 straight years without missing a single game and was one season removed from back to back MVP campaigns, and that was with Mahomes playing at a godly level.

Rodgers will be back next season. And at the very least he’ll throw for something like 3800 yards, 25-30 TD’s and 8-10 INT’s.

In other words, even at 40 he’ll still be the best Jets QB many fans have seen in their lifetimes.

No regrets

I'm calling it the wrong move because Rodgers was done two years ago.  

Now having him lost last year with a severe injury makes him more than done next year....

It wasn't a smart move and surely will end up being an all-time disaster move.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Had the situations reversed - Rodgers finding his way to New Orleans and eclipsing those numbers while Carr went on IR for the Jets - this same game would be played. You don't know what you don't know, which is what Carr's season on the Jets would have been. The idea is silly that it'd have been the same as he put up in New Orleans, if he even finished the season there.

•  

Eh.

But we still have 2nd round draft picks, never signed the GB cast-0ffs, allowed to draft another QB and not carried his awful contract.

The Rodgers signing was a bad one..it's okay to accept it. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh.

But we still have 2nd round draft picks, never signed the GB cast-0ffs, allowed to draft another QB and not carried his awful contract.

I wouldn't lock the team in to 3 years of Carr just to get back a couple 2nd round picks (with the odds of them blowing at least one of them at 50-50). You lock in to a QB for that long if you think you're going to win a SB with him. 

For all you know he'd have traded both his 2nd rounders to move back into the late teens to take Michael Mayer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Now having him lost last year with a severe injury makes him more than done next year....

What’s to say carr wouldn’t have had a season ending injury behind this o-line? The Rodgers move on paper was fine, it still makes sense. The injury after 4 plays was just bad luck. 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh.

Well so far yeah it's an awful, horrible trade. Any trade is horrible if you grade it after a season-ending injury after 4 plays. That isn't saying anything profound.

Carr is a mush and you're grading him on what he did in New Orleans not what he'd have done here under far worse scenarios. Locking into years of Derek Carr was merely a favorable move compared to locking into years of Garoppolo, dreamy as he is.

I wanted Rodgers over Carr.  I still do.  We have not seen Rodgers yet.  We will.  And, with Carr, we don't get the entertainment value that Rodgers provides.  He's not on the field and he's still getting the most attention.  I like watching him troll the world.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, doitny said:

Derek Carr

68. 4 % comp........ 6th

8 INTs..................... 2nd with QBs who started 16 games or more. only Lamar was better with 7 INTs

oh and we would have had Brodrick Jones as our LT. and maybe T Cody Mauch or WR Jayden Reed with that 2nd rd pick we gave GB.

All fair points.  I would’ve gladly taken Carr.   Was very happy we got Rodgers though we paid a good price for the privilege.  Only take issue with that last line.   What do you mean don’t blame JD blame us?  Does what we want on this forum dictate the actions of our GM?   Douglas should not be canned for signing Rodgers, he should be canned for signing Rodgers, no qb backup, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Billy Turner, and relying on Duane Brown coming off an injury, Becton coming off an injury, AVT coming,off an injury, and then drafting a defensive lineman in the first round when we have 9 others and not taking and offensive linemen or a wide receiver.   That’s why Douglas should be blamed, hope it wall wasn’t our fault.  😂😂

Carr was going to make this an 8-10 win team. If you think fighting for wildcards every year is the goal, Carr was your guy. If you wanted the team to swing for the fences, Rodgers was your guy. The Jets could have ended up with a better roster with Carr but also could have ended up stuffing in other sh*tty players equivalent to the GB castaways. The Jets hired Hackett when they were pursuing Carr, so the team could have easily ended up with the same lousy offensive scheme. 

Both paths had their downsides and I wasn't in love with either one. Watching the ongoing roster problems and sh*tty coaching doesn't make me feel good about either. 

15 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Derek Carr was awful this year.

Did you actually watch a Saints game? His own teammates needed to be restrained because they wanted to assault him on the field, on more than one occasion. 

This. He finished strong but was terrible most of the season when it mattered.

No regrets not signing Carr long-term and no L taken or accepted.

53 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

All fair points.  I would’ve gladly taken Carr.   Was very happy we got Rodgers though we paid a good price for the privilege.  Only take issue with that last line.   What do you mean don’t blame JD blame us?  Does what we want on this forum dictate the actions of our GM?   Douglas should not be canned for signing Rodgers, he should be canned for signing Rodgers, no qb backup, Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Billy Turner, and relying on Duane Brown coming off an injury, Becton coming off an injury, AVT coming,off an injury, and then drafting a defensive lineman in the first round when we have 9 others and not taking and offensive linemen or a wide receiver.   That’s why Douglas should be blamed, hope it wall wasn’t our fault.  😂😂

my point was that i thought this thread would be littered with blame for JD trading for him, which i believe Woody pushed him to do it. but how could anyone blame someone for doing exactly what they wanted.?

thats why i said take the loss. but still some people wont. same people who will say we need a LT and a WR2 which we probably would have got with Carr or even Minschew. 

JN 9 months ago....JD is great for getting Rodgers, GM of the year!!!

JN now: JD sucks for getting Rodgers, worst GM ever!!!

just own it. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wouldn't lock the team in to 3 years of Carr just to get back a couple 2nd round picks (with the odds of them blowing at least one of them at 50-50). You lock in to a QB for that long if you think you're going to win a SB with him. 

For all you know he'd have traded both his 2nd rounders to move back into the late teens to take Michael Mayer.

We can't know how it would have worked out with Carr but I think it's safe to say it's been a disaster how it worked with out with Rodgers.

I would think even you don't expect next year to be a success either.   Signing Rodgers was a bad choice.

And I'm sorry, but two 2nd round picks do matter.  They have tremendous value to an organization.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was a bad trade because Rodgers is done.  He was done last year. 

Him getting injured just kicked the can down the road another year and made it all the worse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Stats look good but the guy was down right terrible in a lot of spots. He disappears in big spots. This is one of those cases where the stats don’t tell the whole story. We would have been better with him? Sure, but I still perfer Rodgers for 2 years vs carr for 5. The goal is to make a deep playoff run, not just be average. Carr is the definition of average. Good enough to keep you in playoff hunt, but not good enough to do much more.

what happens after Rodgers 2 years? we most likely go back to sucking again. at least with Carr we would have hung around the playoff mark. yeah we probably dont win a championship but maybe change the culture from being a franchise that misses the playoffs for 14 years to one that makes it every year and just needs a piece or 2 to get the SB. plus you would have no problem from Carr when ever you wanted to draft his replacement.

this SB or bust thing sucks. cause we most likely fall back to sucking after that. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, doitny said:

what happens after Rodgers 2 years? we most likely go back to sucking again. at least with Carr we would have hung around the playoff mark. yeah we probably dont win a championship but maybe change the culture from being a franchise that misses the playoffs for 14 years to one that makes it every year and just needs a piece or 2 to get the SB. plus you would have no problem from Carr when ever you wanted to draft his replacement.

this SB or bust thing sucks. cause we most likely fall back to sucking after that. 

I don’t think we’re in SB or bust mode. While those are the expectations, the signings we’ve made doesn’t put us in the rex era where we sold out at the expense of the future. Rodgers was supposed to be the bridge that brought us from loser franchise to respectable. He was the first step in the culture change. We have the pieces in place. We’re a qb, wr2, and some o line additions away from being a well rounded team. Signing carr was signing up for mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

We can't know how it would have worked out with Carr but I think it's safe to say it's been a disaster how it worked with out with Rodgers.

I would think even you don't expect next year to be a success either.   Signing Rodgers was a bad choice.

And I'm sorry, but two 2nd round picks do matter.  They have tremendous value to an organization.

This isn't an organization. It's a silly joke, so no they don't lol. FFS Douglas was this close to drafting Mayer in the middle of round 1 last year. Not Flowers, Addison, Kincaid, LaPorta, Reed, Rice, etc. Mayer. 

What will happen next year? I don't know, but Derek Carr will never sniff a super bowl until his starting days are over and he's the veteran backup on a winner. Rodgers coming off injury doesn't make the Jets SB favorites or anything, but it's more fun of a ride and even minus a pair of 2s is still a better chance than Carr who's an unspecial, wimpy, low-IQ, emo mush. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This isn't an organization. It's a silly joke, so no they don't lol. FFS Douglas was this close to drafting Mayer in the middle of round 1 last year. Not Flowers, Addison, Kincaid, LaPorta, Reed, Rice, etc. Mayer. 

Mayer is a good player in a bad offense 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Tell me you had him higher - and would be happy with him in a redraft - over the group I listed, and further that you had him rated in the middle of round 1.

the lions would take a healthy Mayer over a hurt LaPorta for the next month 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the lions would take a healthy Mayer over a hurt LaPorta for the next month 

Mayer is injured, too, my love. He hasn't played in almost a month.

Meanwhile LaPorta may yet play this weekend against Minnesota.

Plus they'd also take a healthy Kenny Yeboah over both of them if they're both too injured to play. That's hardly saying anything.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I wanted Rodgers over Carr.  I still do.  We have not seen Rodgers yet.  We will.  And, with Carr, we don't get the entertainment value that Rodgers provides.  He's not on the field and he's still getting the most attention.  I like watching him troll the world.  

@Joe W. Namath gave Carr the perfect nickname: "Dead End Derek".

I also wanted AR8 over Carr.  What's the point of half-arsing it?  The goal is to win the SB.  AR8 was a major roll of the dice and, of course, this franchise rolled snake eyes.  But it was the better move at the time.  And I'm sure I'll talk myself into it again when next season gets closer.  Though JD badly needs to fix the OL and WRs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He only cost $3.5M this year so who gives a f**k?

I'm all for signing Minshew but I believe Tim Boyle was cheaper, so who gives a f**k?

There are better arguments for him.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Two years ago?  I assume you don't mean the 2021 season when he was MVP threw for over 4,000 yards at almost 70% completions and 37/4. I guess you mean 2022 when he only threw for 3600 yards at almost 65% with 26/12.  I mean that is pretty close to the 3,300 yards at almost 60% 11/15 we got.  Context is of course necessary because the Jets had to deal with a sh*tty line and WR play.  It's not like Rodgers #1 was Allen Lazard or anything, is it?  Randall Cobb could not possibly have played 34% of the snaps. 

23 hours ago, doitny said:

Derek Carr

68. 4 % comp........ 6th

If you're gonna play the hindsight game, let's re-visit this at the conclusion of the 2024 season.