If the Lions and Texans can become playoff success stories, so can the Jets

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The thing we at least know now as a fan base is what we need.

We have money and have the 10th pick to address these needs.

There's no secret that we know we need OL help. JD has shown he is more than willing to draft OL. He just has had awful luck with injuries with those picks. Hard to fully put that on him. None of Becton or AVT were injury prone players before we drafted them. But we know we need for sure 2-3 new starting OLineman on this OL. And I expect that to get addressed. My guess is the 10th pick is used on an OT as well as an OT and a OG brought in in FA.

We need a WR. Lucky for us there's some good options out there. Higgins, Ridley, Evans to name a few. Adams via trade (if the price makes sense). Or if we address OL in FA we could even go the WR route at 10 (maybe Nabers or Odunze). Maybe even Bowers at 10. Who kind of hits 2 needs. Big time receiving threat and can hold his own blocking as well. Depending on how we address FA... he is actually who I like the most for us to go at 10. But that would have to be with us already fixing the OL in FA.

We know we need a vet backup in case Rodgers gets injured again. There's no way we don't do this IMO. Brissett, Tannehill, Minshew, etc are all guys who I expect us to be linked to. Making us more at ease if there is an unexpected injury from Rodgers.

Draft a developmental QB in the mid rounds. Zach needs to go. Take whatever we can for him. Just get a rookie in here to sit and learn behind a HOF QB and a savvy vet.

On defense... Get 2 run stuffing DTs. Luckily these guys don't cost much and can be had later in drafts. As good as our defense was... we were bad against the run up the middle.

Figure out what we're doing at SS. I expect us to resign Davis and have Adams and Davis at FS. But I think we let Whitehead walk (too many missed tackles and bad angles). I still would love to resign Clark. He should be had cheap after missing the whole season. But will be 100% for camp. Sure tackler. Which is what we need.

Resign our ST guys

This is a good point - we aren't bereft of talent and needing multiple years to build back up to being competitive. Two or three key moves makes us a contender. Key is making the right decisions with these moves ... and getting a bit of luck along the way.

It can be difficult to feel like things are moving in the right direction - we finished 7-10 this year, same as last year, so are we the same team? Better? Worse?

If you look at the two seasons based on who we played / beat ... in each year we played 9 games against teams that made the playoffs, and 8 against teams that did not. 

2022 we were 2-7 against playoff teams; 2023 we were 3-6. So that's one "step in the right direction". Consider also that one of our two in 2022 was against Teddy Bridgewater Skylar Thomson instead of Tua. Our three in 2023 were against the starters (until Stroud got knocked out of the Texans game, but that game was over long before that).

2022 we were 5-3 in games against non-playoff teams; 2023 we were 4-4. So that's "one step backwards". But when you consider our own QB situation at the time of many of these losses you could reason that this is more within our gift to do something about. This year we were the team on the 3rd / 4th string QBs, rather than our opponents (a big criticism here of why our 7-10 in 2022 was misleading was that we faced a lot of backup QBs). 

Division wise we were again 2-4, swapping a win vs. Miami & Skylar for a win vs. NE & Zappe. At least Saleh finally got a win over BB, which seemed to be the big criticism (we were outcoached as much as we were outplayed). We split with Buffalo both years, and all our NE games were low scoring slug fests. You could argue that Tua beating Tim Boyle is a world away from Thomson beating Flacco or whoever we trotted out late on in 2022. 

I know you can play "what if" all day and all night, but 4 games in 2023 were lost by 5, 3, 4 and 5 points. That's 4 losses by 17 points total. Even a minor improvement (mainly at QB) could have had this team at 11-6, all other things being equal. Let's hope that 2024 can achieve at least that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Those teams didn't trade away 3 2nd round picks to draft Darnold, THEN pick a second bust and then trade away draft capital for a 40 year old QB.  The Jets management team for the last 10 years has been comprised of well below average GM's.  Who drafts Jamal Adams while leaving Fitzpatrick as your QB?   That's an organizational issue.  Rodgers was 9-8 his last year. So if we have a 10-7 season with Rodgers, then what??? Saleh has been outperformed by both DC's that have replaced him in SF.  

What Maccagan did has no bearing on this at all. If you want to extend the “track record” more it certainly doesn’t help the Lions anyway.

Point remains — the biggest difference between the “rebuild” the Jets engaged in and the one the Lions and Texans have is that they hit on their QBs and we whiffed.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Until woody sells or dies nothing is changing

i hope he sells... but he wont... too valuable for him.  keeps it in his back pocket to toss around at cocktail parties.  hey, look at me... i'm one of the elites.  i wonder if any one of those hyper wealthy people he hob nobs with come right out and tell him... "Hey... I love football. You know what ??? Your team sucks"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What Maccagan did has no bearing on this at all. If you want to extend the “track record” more it certainly doesn’t help the Lions anyway.

Point remains — the biggest difference between the “rebuild” the Jets engaged in and the one the Lions and Texans have is that they hit on their QBs and we whiffed.  

It's more institutional. We have whiffed for basically 35 years.  That's more than a "whiff" that's very poor organizational development.

McC???  OK but Zach is on JD as is Becton.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agreed, but the Jets always “whiff” on QB (and also coach, to a lesser extent).

If we just look from 2000 onwards, the jets have spent premium draft picks on Pennington, Sanchez, Smith, Hackenberg, Darnold, and Wilson (including 3 top 5 picks in the span of 12 years). The best of that group was Pennington - who I always thought was a solid player when healthy - but obviously, his body broke down. But, IDK, when Chad Pennington is the best QB you can find after spending 6 premium picks on the position over the course of 21 drafts - something is wrong. Scouting? Ownership? Coaching/player development? Curse? IDK. 

Meanwhile, in that same timeframe, middling franchises like the Texans and Bengals have drafted Deshaun Watson, CJ Stroud, Carson Palmer, and Joe Burrow. 

It just feels like we are in the dark . . . 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, BP said:

Nope, the lions threw Bob Saleh out of the building after interviewing him. “There’s the door, Bob.”

The Jets?

”SLOGANS? T SHIRTS? CHRISTOPHER!!! WE HAVE OUR GUY!!!”

"All gas and no br"....err, Never mind, it's all gas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If we just look from 2000 onwards, the jets have spent premium draft picks on Pennington, Sanchez, Smith, Hackenberg, Darnold, and Wilson (including 3 top 5 picks in the span of 12 years). The best of that group was Pennington - who I always thought was a solid player when healthy - but obviously, his body broke down. But, IDK, when Chad Pennington is the best QB you can find after spending 6 premium picks on the position over the course of 21 drafts - something is wrong. Scouting? Ownership? Coaching/player development? Curse? IDK. 

Meanwhile, in that same timeframe, middling franchises like the Texans and Bengals have drafted Deshaun Watson, CJ Stroud, Carson Palmer, and Joe Burrow. 

And none of us have any Superbowl wins to our names in that timeframe. ;-)  

Sure, the two teams you mention are much more set at the most important position moving forward, but Palmer and Watson achieved as much as our guys in that timeframe, possibly less ... and Watson brought so many headaches into the bargain.

What you have to ask is - has our own struggle at QB been much different than the rest of the league? Lots of teams churned through guy after guy until finding one ... or are still looking. Buffalo drafted Losman, Edwards and EJ Manuel before hitting on Allen. Granted Edwards was a 3rd, but that's still 3 premium picks on the other guys. Miami only spent two 2nds and a 1st (Beck, Henne, Tannehill) before they picked Tua - but they had less success than we did over that timeframe. (And so far with Tua they've yet to win a single post-season game). Not sure if taking a lot of shots and failing is better than not taking shots and still failing. 

Looking outside the AFC East - Cleveland drafted Mayfield, Quinn, Weeden and Manziel in the first round since 2014. They then sent a boatload of picks to Houston to get Watson, and still needed Grandpa Joe to get to the playoffs this year. Titans washed out on Mariota (#2 overall), Locker and Young. Washington took Ramsey, Campbell, RGIII, Haskins ... Denver took Cutler, Tebow and Lynch ... I'm sure there are plenty of others.

We may suck at drafting & developing QBs, but there's plenty of company. ;-) 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

See this is where we diverge because I don’t buy the idea that Dan Campbell is a great coach and Saleh is an awful one. They’re both culture guys and they both installed a great defense. Campbell just got Jared Goff and Saleh was stuck with Wilson. If you saddled Campbell with a QB as bad as Zach Wilson he’d be relentless mocked as a meathead clown and would probably have been fired already.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Oh yeah, no question. I’m specifically talking about these somewhat linear rebuilds. If you’re asking “why can’t the Jets draft or develop a QB to safe their lives” it’s a very good question. Statistically we should have done it by accident at this point.

Only the Bears are as bad at this as we are.

The one ray of hope — Chiefs had some ridiculous record where they hadn’t won a playoff game with a QB they drafted for like 30 years. Then they drafted Mahomes and the rest is history.

It can happen. Jets aren’t well run enough to make it happen, but getting lucky is very possible. Pats tripped over their own feet into Brady after all.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

See this is where we diverge because I don’t buy the idea that Dan Campbell is a great coach and Saleh is an awful one. They’re both culture guys and they both installed a great defense. Campbell just got Jared Goff and Saleh was stuck with Wilson. If you saddled Campbell with a QB as bad as Zach Wilson he’d be relentless mocked as a meathead clown and would probably have been fired already.

I'm sure a good QB could drag Saleh to the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he was a good hire. Even if he does get really good QB play next year, I have trouble seeing us ever winning anything big with him, but I guess we'll see. I would love to be proven wrong about him, but I get major loser vibes, unfortunately. Again - hope I'm wrong. 

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Oh yeah, no question. I’m specifically talking about these somewhat linear rebuilds. If you’re asking “why can’t the Jets draft or develop a QB to safe their lives” it’s a very good question. Statistically we should have done it by accident at this point.

Only the Bears are as bad at this as we are.

The one ray of hope — Chiefs had some ridiculous record where they hadn’t won a playoff game with a QB they drafted for like 30 years. Then they drafted Mahomes and the rest is history.

It can happen. Jets aren’t well run enough to make it happen, but getting lucky is very possible. Pats tripped over their own feet into Brady after all.

Agreed. I think luck is the only way out - our luck has to change at some point, right? 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 7:22 PM, FidelioJet said:

They both have Good QB’s right now and good GM’s.   
The Jets have neither.  
Until those two issues are solved  the Jets will not be a success story. 

good QBs make good GMs.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, Beerfish said:

This past off season in the draft the Lions added:

Immediate impact player RB Jahmyr Gibbs

Immediate impact player TE Sam LaPorta

Immediate impact player LB Jack Campbell

Immediate impact player S Brian Branch

This past off season the Texas in the draft added:

Franchise QB CJ Stroud

Immediate impact player DE Will Anderson

Starting OG Juice Scruggs

Immediate impact player Tank Dell

The Jets added a C who they refused to play early on.

A low snap pass rusher who barely got on the field and no one else.

The Jets total sell out to get Aaron Rodgers may have deep sixed this version of a jets rebuild.

This 

Next season will be a rude awakening for many 

• Upvote 1

Jets need Rodgers to be healthy (obviously)… and they need to revamp the OL and add a WR. But yes next year at this time we should absolutely be in the playoffs 
Anyone else notice that Rodgers ages 10 years as soon as he puts a helmet on ... Bewildering. It's like the Seinfeld episode of the GF in good and bad lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 1/17/2024 at 6:55 PM, doitny said:

Story by Brian Costello

The frustration of another season without a playoff appearance is here again for Jets fans. It has been a tradition every January for the past 13 seasons.

The Jets resemble that road construction you see on your way to work — it never seems to end and it is hard to see progress.

These playoffs have several teams that were in similar situations to the Jets recently and turned things around. That can be both a source of frustration and hope for the Jets and their fans.

Watching teams such as the Texans and Lions is a reminder that rebuilding a team does not have to take 10 years. It shows what having a good coach, a good quarterback and a solid supporting cast can do.

The Jets feel like they have the first and the third ingredients and will have the second if they can keep Aaron Rodgers healthy in 2024.

If you go back to the 2021 season, the five worst teams that year were the Jaguars, Lions, Jets, Giants and Texans. The Jaguars and Giants each won a playoff game last season. The Lions and Texans did this past weekend.

So, why is the Jets’ playoff drought hitting puberty?

Fullscreen button

If the Lions and Texans can become playoff success stories, so can the Jets© Provided by New York Post
Jared Goff celebrated the Lions’ first playoff win since 1991 just two seasons after the franchise finished 3-13-1 in 2021. Getty Images

The simplest answer is often the correct one, and in this case, it is clear the quarterback play has held them back.

C.J. Stroud and Jared Goff were home runs by the respective front offices of the Texans and Lions. The Jaguars’ Trevor Lawrence has not lived up to his “generational quarterback” label from the pre-draft process, but he is clearly going to be a solid starter for many years. Daniel Jones had a monster season in 2022, and the Giants went to the playoffs in part because of it.

The Jets entered the 2021 offseason facing the biggest decision in recent memory. After going 2-14 in 2020, they had the No. 2 overall pick, a position you don’t want to be in ever again. They had to decide whether to keep Sam Darnold at quarterback or to move on.

Joe Douglas chose to trade Darnold to the Panthers and draft Zach Wilson at No. 2.

The pick has turned out to be a terrible one, and the Jets are expected to trade or release Wilson this offseason.

Nothing sets a franchise back more than blowing a first-round pick on the quarterback. The Jets did it twice in four years with Darnold and Wilson.

Fullscreen button

If the Lions and Texans can become playoff success stories, so can the Jets© Provided by New York Post
It seems increasingly likely that Zach Wilson has taken his last snap for the Jets, three years after they drafted him No. 2 overall. Bill Kostroun for the NY Post

To their credit, the team pivoted away from Wilson last offseason and made the trade for Rodgers. That plan, of course, went poof after four plays, forcing the Jets to turn back to Wilson.

That resulted in a second consecutive 7-10 season and Jets fans again watching the playoffs without their team to root for.

The question is whether the Jets can be the team that flips things around in 2024. The defense and special teams were both playoff-caliber in 2023. Douglas has done a good job building those units.

The offense is the question. Is a healthy Rodgers enough? Can Douglas finally get a strong offensive line to protect him? Can they find a wide receiver to complement Garrett Wilson?

It may feel as if the perpetual rebuild is never going to end. But remember the Bills had a 17-year playoff drought that ended in 2017, and they are now a perennial playoff team. The Browns went 17 years before making the playoffs in 2020, and they just went for the second time in four years.

It can be done.

While seeing teams like the Lions and Texans winning playoff games can make you scream if you are Jets fan, it also should give you hope.

A better Bowles?
Fullscreen button

In two seasons as the Buccaneers head coach, Todd Bowles has led the team to two NFC South titles and a wild-card win Monday night. AP

Todd Bowles’ success with the Buccaneers is further proof that to be a good coach you need good players.

I don’t think Bowles suddenly became a much better coach in Tampa, where he has now won two division titles and won his first playoff game on Monday.

When Bowles was with the Jets, he had a strong, older roster in his first year and went 10-6. The next year, that old roster got really old and the season fell apart. In 2017, the team basically stripped the roster down, and then in 2018, he got one year with a rookie quarterback in Darnold.

It was hard to judge how good a coach Bowles was because the talent on the roster was terrible. In hindsight, Bowles got too much blame and GM Mike Maccagnan did not get enough. Maccagnan failed to give Bowles a roster he could win with.

That is not to excuse Bowles’ mistakes with the Jets, because there were plenty.

But it is worth remembering as we try to evaluate Robert Saleh as the Jets coach that the quality of the players, especially the quarterback, goes a long way in how much success a coach has.

Stat’s so
Fullscreen button

Greg Zuerlein’s 35 field goals this season broke a Jets record that had stood since 1968. AP

Greg Zuerlein had a great season kicking for the Jets this year. He set a new franchise record with 35 field goals.

Here are the team’s top 10 single-season leaders in field goals made:

1. Greg Zuerlein, 2023: 35-38 (FGM-FGA)

2. Jim Turner, 1968: 34-46

3. Jason Myers, 2018: 33-36

3. Nick Folk, 2013: 33-36

5. Jim Turner, 1969: 32-47

5. Nick Folk, 2014: 32-39

7. Nick Folk, 2010: 30-39

8. Jay Feely, 2009: 30-36

8. Greg Zuerlein, 2022: 30-37

10. Mike Nugent, 2007: 29-36

168 hours, that's your weekly allowance | by Josh Bruce | Medium

The New York Jets organization couldn't manage a kid's lemonade & Dorito's stand outside a Cheech & Chong concert.  The Jets are incapable of winning and success..  being an epic inept loser of an organization is their DNA - that's just science. 

• Upvote 1

Reid is 65,

Mahomes is 28

They have at least 7+ years left to dominate the AFC if they want to.

Now with this Taylor Swift BS you have the league and the refs intentionally hosing opposing teams with no sense of guilt or shame or remorse.

The Jets best hope for reaching the Super Bowl would include petitioning the league for realignment to the NFC.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:52 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

Lions actually did what JD said he was going to do.  They build a monster offensive line, they traded for a damaged QB and made him more than servicable, and they found a play maker in the 4th round.

That is my other issue with JD, he has found no difference makers outside of the 1st/early 2nd round.  Yes, I realize you aren't going to find pro bowlers every year in the 6th round, but, especially on offense, he has found virtually no help after the 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

168 hours, that's your weekly allowance | by Josh Bruce | Medium

The New York Jets organization couldn't manage a kid's lemonade & Dorito's stand outside a Cheech & Chong concert.  The Jets are incapable of winning and success..  being an epic inept loser of an organization is their DNA - that's just science. 

We drafted Zach Wilson over Penei Sewell, Jamar Chase and Micah Parsons and the owner, GM and 40% of the fanbase still think it was the right move 3 miserable years later.  Jets are going nowhere 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Anyone else notice that Rodgers ages 10 years as soon as he puts a helmet on ... Bewildering. It's like the Seinfeld episode of the GF in good and bad lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It’s those Gazoo helmets! 

IMG_0120.png

• Sympathy 1

On 1/19/2024 at 5:14 AM, southparkcpa said:

Those teams didn't trade away 3 2nd round picks to draft Darnold, THEN pick a second bust and then trade away draft capital for a 40 year old QB.  The Jets management team for the last 10 years has been comprised of well below average GM's.  Who drafts Jamal Adams while leaving Fitzpatrick as your QB?   That's an organizational issue.  Rodgers was 9-8 his last year. So if we have a 10-7 season with Rodgers, then what??? Saleh has been outperformed by both DC's that have replaced him in SF.  

If you were writing a screenplay movie about them, with plot lines we now know to be true, it'd be rejected by studios for making the team look too stupid and incompetent, even if the genre was to make it a comedy. Dumb and Dumber would seem comparatively more realistic and plausible.

I mean, Fitz wasn't even their QB. Heading into the draft, on paper it was worse than that -- it was Josh McCown on a 1-year deal + Geno Smith with 1 year left on his embarrassing rookie contract/tenure + Bryce Petty (lmao) + Christian Hackenberg (lmao times infinity).

What's more, if they wanted to actually sit a rookie QB in '17, in retrospect (considering his age, prior history, and the weak cast around him) McCown did a surprisingly adequate job of starting through early December.

Even if he wasn't an all-time terrible player for the Jets, drafting Adams was still an all-time blunder of a selection given the obvious need at QB with the NFL's next GOAT being the next QB off the board 4 slots later. Rumor was that Maccagnan would've taken a QB there only if his top choice was still on the board: Mitch Trubisky (and perhaps an offer from the Jets was the answer to the the question why Chicago bothered to trade up a slot for him at the time to leapfrog SF, who'd just traded their 2nd for Garoppolo weeks earlier). What a gift Chicago gave us, in retrospect. What's the saying about a not looking gift horse in the mouth? Well the Jets instead deeply inhaled a wet fart in the mouth.

This f***ing team... :bag:

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 11:28 AM, slimjasi said:

The last three QBs all got thrown in from day one.  I believe Sanchez succeeded because he had a decent team already in place except for wr. Edwards put those teams over the top. Darnold and Wilson came into rebuilding teams and were thrown right in. Wilson had the added disadvantage of being thrown in on a team with a newbie coach and oc.  I believe these guys should all sit for a season and let the rest of the team get sorted out.  Now we’re coming into another situation where they will need a long term solution after Rodgers leaves next season or the one after.  I think if their plan is to draft the next qb they really need to think about bringing in a guy this year, and not some fourth or fifth round project.  And then they need to bring in a competent, fairly young backup like brisket or minshew.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The last three QBs all got thrown in from day one.  I believe Sanchez succeeded because he had a decent team already in place except for wr. Edwards put those teams over the top. Darnold and Wilson came into rebuilding teams and were thrown right in. Wilson had the added disadvantage of being thrown in on a team with a newbie coach and oc.  I believe these guys should all sit for a season and let the rest of the team get sorted out.  Now we’re coming into another situation where they will need a long term solution after Rodgers leaves next season or the one after.  I think if their plan is to draft the next qb they really need to think about bringing in a guy this year, and not some fourth or fifth round project.  And then they need to bring in a competent, fairly young backup like brisket or minshew.

I hear you and I have urges to take a QB, myself. 

Here's the problem. Saleh and Douglas are lame ducks. If they don't win this year, they are GONE. The issue I have with spending a premium draft pick on a QB this year is that, should we not make the playoffs, we'll have a new regime in 2025 and they will probably want to bring in their own QB, and even if they don't, it's a tough situation for whomever we draft. This is all in addition to the fact that Douglas and Saleh have no incentive to think about anything beyond this year. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you were writing a screenplay movie about them, with plot lines we now know to be true, it'd be rejected by studios for making the team look too stupid and incompetent, even if the genre was to make it a comedy. Dumb and Dumber would seem comparatively more realistic and plausible.

I mean, Fitz wasn't even their QB. Heading into the draft, on paper it was worse than that -- it was Josh McCown on a 1-year deal + Geno Smith with 1 year left on his embarrassing rookie contract/tenure + Bryce Petty (lmao) + Christian Hackenberg (lmao times infinity).

What's more, if they wanted to actually sit a rookie QB in '17, in retrospect (considering his age, prior history, and the weak cast around him) McCown did a surprisingly adequate job of starting through early December.

Even if he wasn't an all-time terrible player for the Jets, drafting Adams was still an all-time blunder of a selection given the obvious need at QB with the NFL's next GOAT being the next QB off the board 4 slots later. Rumor was that Maccagnan would've taken a QB there only if his top choice was still on the board: Mitch Trubisky (and perhaps an offer from the Jets was the answer to the the question why Chicago bothered to trade up a slot for him at the time to leapfrog SF, who'd just traded their 2nd for Garoppolo weeks earlier). What a gift Chicago gave us, in retrospect. What's the saying about a not looking gift horse in the mouth? Well the Jets instead deeply inhaled a wet fart in the mouth.

This f***ing team... :bag:

Look at Bowles.. not a great coach but serviceable.  I believe Saleh is the same. Not great but neither has the talent needed to win.  Our GM's are just awful. Including Tanny to an extent  although Tanny wasn't terrible. Any fan who doesn't believe that Tanny drafted based on the HC's recommendations is not living in reality. But JD??  This is his stupidity. He is Idzik/McC bad.

4 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We drafted Zach Wilson over Penei Sewell, Jamar Chase and Micah Parsons and the owner, GM and 40% of the fanbase still think it was the right move 3 miserable years later.  Jets are going nowhere 

Watching Sewell here in Detroit has been both eye opening and depressing. Guy has been a rock on the OL.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, Beerfish said:

This past off season in the draft the Lions added:

Immediate impact player RB Jahmyr Gibbs

Immediate impact player TE Sam LaPorta

Immediate impact player LB Jack Campbell

Immediate impact player S Brian Branch

This past off season the Texas in the draft added:

Franchise QB CJ Stroud

Immediate impact player DE Will Anderson

Starting OG Juice Scruggs

Immediate impact player Tank Dell

The Jets added a C who they refused to play early on.

A low snap pass rusher who barely got on the field and no one else.

The Jets total sell out to get Aaron Rodgers may have deep sixed this version of a jets rebuild.

McDonald pick is typical JD...zero impact  and mainly invisible.

• Upvote 1

The issue is that the Texans and Lions are set up for long term success.  The Jets, have maybe a two year window, then it will be a purging of dead money and “rebuilding” yet again.  We will also likely see the exodus of Garret Wilson, Sauce, and Breece.  It’s actually comical how bad this franchise is.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I hear you and I have urges to take a QB, myself. 

Here's the problem. Saleh and Douglas are lame ducks. If they don't win this year, they are GONE. The issue I have with spending a premium draft pick on a QB this year is that, should we not make the playoffs, we'll have a new regime in 2025 and they will probably want to bring in their own QB, and even if they don't, it's a tough situation for whomever we draft. This is all in addition to the fact that Douglas and Saleh have no incentive to think about anything beyond this year. 

Yep. Hard to say if either will still be around after this season.  If I was a bettor I’d bet on Douglas to be re-upped and saleh launched.  But even there I can’t see either wanting less than a three season deal.