We are not going anywhere, not next year or the year after...time to face facts

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Von Miller is supposed to have a big dead cap hit.

Will be interesting what they do with him. It's not just the dead cap hit from prior bonus money, since that was going to hit no matter what. It's that he's still got a big chunk of change in more guaranteed money coming up. $11MM of his $17MM is already guaranteed, and the rest fully guarantees on the 5th day of the new season in mid-March.

I don't know what the latest is on any criminal charges. Best thing for Buffalo is if he gets suspended by the league for the whole year, potentially wiping out that guarantee and getting them off the hook. He was suspended 6 games this year, and then the stuff with allegedly beating on his pregnant girlfriend may be considered another offense that gets him banned for the year. What a gift that'd be for the Bills, never mind if he gets into trouble yet again in the coming 6 weeks or so.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why? They had a plenty-hard schedule the way things looked at the time - especially in that first month-plus - and finished 7-10.

If the OL and QB are on the field, over the league's worst QB + 15 different combinations of backup starters on the OL, why would that only mean a max 2-3 game difference over a 17-game season?

Heading into the '23 offseason I wonder what the ceiling prediction would've been for lots of playoff teams this year, including Detroit, the Rams, Houston, post-Brady Tampa, and Cleveland (even without their own injury woes, in the only division with no sub-.500 teams). 

There's plenty of opportunity for more than 9-10 wins. The opponent list isn't even bad. 

Yeah but this is the Jets.  Going on year 40 of fandom, I’m just conditioned that way I guess.  

21 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Yeah but this is the Jets.  Going on year 40 of fandom, I’m just conditioned that way I guess.  

I'm more than 40 years in. Just saying they may still screw it up, because that's what they do, but that doesn't mean 9-10 wins = the team's ceiling in advance.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Will be interesting what they do with him. It's not just the dead cap hit from prior bonus money, since that was going to hit no matter what. It's that he's still got a big chunk of change in more guaranteed money coming up. $11MM of his $17MM is already guaranteed, and the rest fully guarantees on the 5th day of the new season in mid-March.

I don't know what the latest is on any criminal charges. Best thing for Buffalo is if he gets suspended by the league for the whole year, potentially wiping out that guarantee and getting them off the hook. He was suspended 6 games this year, and then the stuff with allegedly beating on his pregnant girlfriend may be considered another offense that gets him banned for the year. What a gift that'd be for the Bills, never mind if he gets into trouble yet again in the coming 6 weeks or so.

Wow, that contract is bad bad bad 

wow 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Funny, I've had the exact opposite feeling watching these playoffs -- that the vast majority of these teams are super mediocre, that the league has never had more parity and that we can easily be one of the top teams in the AFC next year with a little luck.

Mahomes going to his 62nd Super Bowl in a row with mediocre Wideouts

But if JD spends all offseason upgrading the offense (tbd if that happens), despite knowing AR8 is going to be back next year then what does it say about what he thinks of the supporting cast that ZW played under this past year?
In other words, if the only problem was ZW then there would be no reason to feel like he'd need to badly upgrade the rest of the offense.
Shhhhhhh

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I see a lot of posts along this thread that purport we only need a #2 WR and another lineman and then we are good to go. I find this to be a mantra of the delusional who have bought into this throwaway line in order to ignore reality. We are so much further from fixing this team than just those 2 items. Our #1 WR is plotting an exit, AVT is officially injury prone, they're going to let Huff walk away, no #2 pick in the draft and all of this is supposed to be remedied how? FA? Add to that you just know Saleh is going to be hovering around JD's butt on draft day to give him some defensive players as he usually does re the panic pick of McDonald. No, it's much deeper than that my friends.
I dunno .. I heard it was all the QB.

• Upvote 1

The NFL changes a lot from year to year.  How do we know teams like the Texans or Jaguars won't be very good next year?  How about the Chargers potentially under Harbaugh?   Meanwhile, the Jets have a lot of rebuilding to do.  
Exactly ... Missing on the biggest coaching free agent pools in history feels like drafting OB over Marino.. or winning meaningless game in December ....

I'm resigned to the organization making blunderous decisions.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

this might be the most pathetic, defeatist thread i've ever seen on this board. you should be ashamed for even creating this pussy shi*t

It might also be the most honest and salient post. Only thru accepting the diagnosis can one devise a treatment and strategy going forward. Belief that a soon to be 41 year old QB and one O lineman is all we are away from the playoffs is nuts, but their adherents are legion here. 

They are going to blow some of this team and the entire regime up in '25 anyway. Do it now, clean house, take the lumps and get started like the Packers did when they fleeced us in the Rodgers trade. And no, I'm not ashamed. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The defending champions, playing in their 6th consecutive AFC Title game, are running jet sweeps for a dipsh*t receiver we traded them because he sucks so bad. He fumbled the ball out of the endzone and could have cost them the game.

Like, I dunno how anyone watches the Buccaneers or Texans (who we trashed with Zach in there) playing Divisional weekend and thinks "we're so far away."

Other than the Ravens and 9ers who are clearly the class of the NFL this year the Jets with a healthy Rodgers can hang with any of these teams. We hung with (and beat) several of them without Rodgers.

I think you nailed it. 

We have to fix some things, but none of these teams are that good. The playoffs have been eye-opening. It really comes down to how much Rodgers has left, more than anything else. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I think you nailed it. 

We have to fix some things, but none of these teams are that good. The playoffs have been eye-opening. It really comes down to how much Rodgers has left, more than anything else. 

More than anything, if you want to turn around a team quickly, get a competent veteran qb and build at least a decent OL.  If you’r lucky enough to draft a guy like stroud, you do it quicker and set yourself up for a longer period of success.  If you’re the jets and you whiff on your qb draft pick you overpay for an old veteran you hope has a few good years left and buys you time to find another one.   But look at Detroit and Tampa, they found decent veteran qbs and have good OLs and that gets you into the playofffs.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

It might also be the most honest and salient post. Only thru accepting the diagnosis can one devise a treatment and strategy going forward. Belief that a soon to be 41 year old QB and one O lineman is all we are away from the playoffs is nuts, but their adherents are legion here. 

They are going to blow some of this team and the entire regime up in '25 anyway. Do it now, clean house, take the lumps and get started like the Packers did when they fleeced us in the Rodgers trade. And no, I'm not ashamed. 

It's an opinion. You don't know the future. None of us do. I know what we think has nothing to do with the results. But there's really no reason why the team can't try to make upgrades to the oline and was (maybe even tight end) and make a run at it. For as bad as the oline and wrs and qb play was we were competitive against some top teams in the league. And to call it "regular season nonsense" is stupid imo. Your best chance at getting to the conference championship is winning your division. Even better if you can get the 1st or 2nd seed. Every game in the NFL is important. You wanna go into with the we suck and we can't ever be better attitude? Have fun. I'd never wanna have to do battle with you at my side though....we'd already be half beaten 

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

What about the final 8? Curious. I know Texans have a pretty good OL, idk about the rest. 

Buffalo is top 10, Texans, bucs and Packers are all in that 10-20 range 

No bottom 12 line made the last 8

Miami had a very shaky grade due to injury fwiw 

If we are talking about best case scenarios the only rookie tackle to make all pro recently was rashawn slater and the only rookie guard to be an instant all pro was Quenton Nelson (who the Jets passed on)

If the Jets somehow had drafted Nelson and Sewell instead of darnold and Wilson, we'd we looking at a top 10 maybe higher grade 

That's what it takes 2 real studs. Honest question does Joe alt or olu Fashanu scout like a Quenton Nelson? They grade more like Mike mcglinchy and kolton Miller decent guys not all pros 

AVT was on that path and Tippy might be but my point is it takes years to build a line and it takes years to undo the mistakes of the draft 

The original poster isn't wrong about that but no one around here really wants to admit how screwed the Jets are 

• Upvote 4

Being "competitive" against top teams in the league early in the season, ie Chiefs, Buffalo, is a deception and a faulty thought process. By that logic, the Chargers and Broncos, who beat the Chiefs, surely are better teams. The regular season hiccups that happen on any given Sunday are largely inconsequential as the best teams rack up enough of a cushion to insulate themselves from that damage, ie Buffalo, whom we beat early and represents a victory many love to cite as a measuring stick of competitiveness yet.,are strangely silent in that analysis as to when they smash mouthed our vaunted defense to the tune of 32-6. Which game do you think represents a more realistic snapshot of where we are? I would say the latter. Yes, a bye or home field in the playoffs is nice but not a guarantee of anything. KC and Buffalo played their game in basically the same conditions either city was experiencing that day. 

I've not said we "can't" get better, only that with this QB, this regime, this owner and the piss poor plan for next year, I don't believe we will be able to overcome BUF, MIA, KC, CIN, BAL, JAX, TEX AND PIT. There's only so many playoff spots to go around.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think you nailed it. 

100% agreed, especially with the bolded. If Rodgers is cooked we're prob screwed and everyone is getting fired. If Rodgers is anything close to Rodgers we have a shot.

• Upvote 1

The standards and expectations in any franchise are set by the owner.

The bottom line is the team loses because losing is acceptable to Woody and his dimwit brother.

Look at any championship franchise in any sport.

I remember thinking Leon Hess was bad.

He's the greatest owner in NFL history compared to the Woodpecker bros.

• Upvote 4

On 1/23/2024 at 4:30 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

The defending champions, playing in their 6th consecutive AFC Title game, are running jet sweeps for a dipsh*t receiver we traded them because he sucks so bad. He fumbled the ball out of the endzone and could have cost them the game.

Like, I dunno how anyone watches the Buccaneers or Texans (who we trashed with Zach in there) playing Divisional weekend and thinks "we're so far away."

Other than the Ravens and 9ers who are clearly the class of the NFL this year the Jets with a healthy Rodgers can hang with any of these teams. We hung with (and beat) several of them without Rodgers.

Don’t worry as long as Zach is on our roster we will always consistently be one of the worst teams in football 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Don’t worry as long as Woody is our owner r we will always consistently be one of the worst teams in football 

We have sucked for 13 years....   arguably worst run team in all major sports.  That is not on the players.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

We have sucked for 13 years....   arguably worst run team in all major sports.  That is not on the players.  

Different players, coaches, GMs - the one common thread is a double digit iq owner with no football background meddling in football decisions 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Unbelievable that Woody Johnson doesn’t recognize that he’s the problem and can’t bring himself to hire a guy to run the football ops for him, so he ends up relying on first-timer preemie head coaches and castoff GMs to steer the ship, knowing full well that those two positions are immediately compromised and in CYA mode from their sign-on day. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Unbelievable that Woody Johnson doesn’t recognize that he’s the problem and can’t bring himself to hire a guy to run the football ops for him, so he ends up relying on first-timer preemie head coaches and castoff GMs to steer the ship, knowing full well that those two positions are immediately compromised and in CYA mode from their sign-on day. 

I’ve always been surprised by this as Woody hasn’t ever really been cheap, and seemingly wants to win.

Is it ego and he’d like keep some sense of control? This is the one position I think we need more than any.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’ve always been surprised by this as Woody hasn’t ever really been cheap, and seemingly wants to win.

Is it ego and he’d like keep some sense of control? This is the one position I think we need more than any.

He seems like he can't help but get involved and there is enough publicly available evidence to conclude that he's pretty dumb. I guess the level to which he inserts himself isn't really knowable from the outside but off the top of my head.. Tebow, Revis 2.0, Favre, dumping Tannenbaum but keeping Rex, hiring Mac. Those are all bad decisions that have been pinned on him. 

He's also allegedly insistent on the QB having "star power".  idk what that means but I've decided it isn't good. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think his only friend in the league and his mentor is Kraft, so he believes he’s modeling himself after the way Kraft semi-manages the Pats, with the difference being Kraft stumbled onto Belichick and Parcells and Woody sent both of those guys running for the hills.

• Upvote 1