You have the 8th pick in a draft of all time Jets players, who do you pick?

8th Pick?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. With the 8th Pick in the All Time Jets Player Draft, I select......

• Ken O'Brien QB
    • Freeman McNeil RB
    • Emerson Boozer RB
    • Wesley Walker WR
    • Al Toon WR
    • Rich Caster TE
    • Mickey Shuler TE
    • Marvin Powell T
    • Nick Mangold C
    • Mark Gastineau DL
    • Gerry Philben DL
    • Marty Lyons DL
    • Quinnen WIlliams DL
    • Mo Lewis LB
    • Al Atkinson LB
    • Ralph Baker LB
    • Larry Grantham LB
    • Aaron Glenn DB
    • Victor Green DB
    • Somebody Else

6 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

For the sake of argument, we'll say it's a 10 round draft with 10 teams picking.

Players must have played at least 3 years for the Jets and must have played more games for the Jets than any other NFL team.....

1. Joe Namath
  2. Curtis Martin
  3. Darrelle Revis
  4. Kevin Mawae
  5. Joe Klecko
  6. Don Maynard
  7. Winston Hill
  8. You are on the clock!

How is a ground and pound, non-HR hitting RB the second pick in a franchise draft over CB (Revis), LT (where’s Brick!?), C (Mangold>Mawae because we drafted Mangold), or DT/DE (Klecko)?!?

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

How is a ground and pound, non-HR hitting RB the second pick in a franchise draft over CB (Revis), LT (where’s Brick!?), C (Mangold>Mawae because we drafted Mangold), or DT/DE (Klecko)?!?

Curtis Martin is a “ground and pound” RB?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Curtis Martin is a “ground and pound” RB?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

4.0 ypc. For context, Barry had 1100 more yards on 500 less carries. He compiled yards based on high volume carries. Check out the ypc for all the other top 10-15 all time yards leaders at RB.

Either way, even if you consider him some elite RB - taking an RB over an LT, C, CB, DT/DE is just bad business.

• Upvote 2

freeman walker and toon are my favorite skill position trio with shuler 

wesley had 8 years of 20 ypc avg.. freeman was the most fun to watch when healthy and toon was one of the best possession receivers ever

gotta go McNeil. Ill forever hate shula for letting the field get water logged to take freeman out of the game

• Upvote 2

Toon is one of two retired players in NFL history to play fewer than 110 games and still record over 500 receptions. The other is Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr. Toon had more catches in his first five seasons (355) than any player in league history and reached 400 receptions in 81 games, which was third only to Winslow and Lionel Taylor (each 72) in history. Toon had more catches (355) in his first five years than any other player in NFL history and reached the 400-catch plateau in his 81st game, the third quickest in league history behind Kellen Winslow (72 games) and Lionel Taylor (72 games). In 2011, he was selected to the Jets Ring of Honor.[17]

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Al Toon might the most talented Football player I’ve seen in a Jets jersey.  

As a skill player on offense, yes. On defense I still would say Revis given he did it with the post-Manning/Law rule changes, plus many top talent linemen on both sides over the years. But judging QB/RB/WR/TE? Yeah it's easy to argue he was the most talented we've had.

I think a lot of people still judge players they didn't see based just on stats. Toon's numbers suffered terribly with O'Brien not only being schizo as a QB in his own right - barely a 50% passer to his wideouts - but also so often tossing to him late as he's about to get clobbered/concussed - often with outstretched arms so he couldn't protect himself in time (~20 years before those rule changes) - to say nothing of the toll all that further took on that ridiculous astroturf-on-concrete surface permitted head-hunting and combine all that wtih the shitty 80s helmet technology, too. Other than not having sub-4.4 track star speed he was a perfect NFL receiver talent-wise, like Fitzgerald or AJ Green.

As much as I loved watching him play for us, the truth is it's a damn shame he got drafted by the Jets. He would/could/should have been a HOF receiver if he played for the Bills, 9ers, Miami, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As a skill player on offense, yes. On defense I still would say Revis given he did it with the post-Manning/Law rule changes, plus many top talent linemen on both sides over the years. But judging QB/RB/WR/TE? Yeah it's easy to argue he was the most talented we've had.

I think a lot of people still judge players they didn't see based just on stats. Toon's numbers suffered terribly with O'Brien not only being schizo as a QB in his own right - barely a 50% passer to his wideouts - but also so often tossing to him late as he's about to get clobbered/concussed - often with outstretched arms so he couldn't protect himself in time (~20 years before those rule changes) - to say nothing of the toll all that further took on that ridiculous astroturf-on-concrete surface permitted head-hunting and combine all that wtih the sh*tty 80s helmet technology, too. Other than not having sub-4.4 track star speed he was a perfect NFL receiver talent-wise, like Fitzgerald or AJ Green.

As much as I loved watching him play for us, the truth is it's a damn shame he got drafted by the Jets. He would/could/should have been a HOF receiver if he played for the Bills, 9ers, Miami, etc.

Well said, only thing I would add is how many full seasons did Kenny O play?  Obviously played a bunch of games w/ Pat Ryan but I also feel like there was were a bunch of no name QB's that he caught balls from, guys like Tony Eason come to mind off the rip.

12 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

100 TDs in 10 years is probably a good reason 

On 2/4/2024 at 6:37 AM, JustInFudge said:

Toon is one of two retired players in NFL history to play fewer than 110 games and still record over 500 receptions. The other is Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr. Toon had more catches in his first five seasons (355) than any player in league history and reached 400 receptions in 81 games, which was third only to Winslow and Lionel Taylor (each 72) in history. Toon had more catches (355) in his first five years than any other player in NFL history and reached the 400-catch plateau in his 81st game, the third quickest in league history behind Kellen Winslow (72 games) and Lionel Taylor (72 games). In 2011, he was selected to the Jets Ring of Honor.[17]

So in other words during the time that you control his rights he was the best all time.  No, let's celebrate a bunch of guys on contracts so bloated that they caused the team to roll with Wayne Hunter at RT!

• Haha 2

On 2/3/2024 at 3:03 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

For the sake of argument, we'll say it's a 10 round draft with 10 teams picking.

Players must have played at least 3 years for the Jets and must have played more games for the Jets than any other NFL team.....

1. Joe Namath
  2. Curtis Martin
  3. Darrelle Revis
  4. Kevin Mawae
  5. Joe Klecko
  6. Don Maynard
  7. Winston Hill
  8. You are on the clock!

As much as I loved Kevin Mawae, I don't believe he deserves to be in the top 10 of this list.

Perhaps top 15?  I think you need to install game changers and if it's offensive line, maulers in the run game.

Mark Gastineau, Wesley Walker, Marvin Powell, would be players I put before Kevin Mawae.

Quinnen Williams on defense before Kevin Mawae.  The other 7 you have for sure is in the top 10.

Imagine having Wesley Walker and Don Maynard as your receivers, Joe Namath as your QB, and Curtis Martin running the ball, behind a line that includes Winston Hill and Marvin Powell.  Joe Klecko, Mark Gasineau and Quinnen Williams on the defensive line.  Derrelle Revis as your #1 cornerback.  Not a bad start to your draft.

• Upvote 2

Curtis Martin at 2 is kind of criminal.  RB is a devalued position.  Why pick Curtis at #2 when you can wait and get Freeman around #10?  With Boozer and Riggins still on the board?  No way.  It doesn't make sense, you'd arguably get a better back later in the draft.  Gastineau would probably be long gone by #8.  Mawae over possibly greatest pass rusher of all time?  You guys want to tag Bryce Huff and you think Kevin Mawae goes before Mark Gastineau?  LOL.  On top of that you'd still have Mangold and Fields on the board.  After that I would go Toon or Marvin Powell.  I can just hear the arguments about wasting a high pick on a guy that only plays RT, but Marvin was rock solid.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:11 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mangold is the more beloved Jet but Mawae was the better player 

Someone had to say it.  Mawae earned his place at the top.  And he was more talented on the field, no matter how much we loved the attitude and presence of Nick Mangold.  I'd say Mangold and Fields would be 2/3 or 3/2.  Fields was pretty good too.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe he wanted to encourage  discussion

yeah.  And I agree that Gastineau was one of the best pass rushers in the history of the game, but look where he goes in the survey.  People are voting on personality over talent.  i.e. Mangold over Mawae, which is flat out ridiculous.