Jets releasing Laken Tomlinson, gain $8 mil in cap space

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas has been here so long he’s cutting his own free agent signings. That doesn’t happen too often. 

This is silly. Douglas was signed to a 6 year deal. He is in his 5th year (i.e. he has two more seasons on his deal). 

A. What is so bizzarre about him cutting his own FA? Nothing. When is the last time a GM signed a FA to a 6 year (or longer) deal? You almost never see it. 

B. If a GM cannot (for one reason or another) cut a guy he signed in FA, let's say he overpaid or the team is in a position where they can't take on the salary or the player is underperforming or a bad fit - whatever the reason. But if a GM is not able to admit that the FA he signed now needs to be cut rather than let his contract run out, for the betterment of team, then he is a bad GM. Frankly, an incompetent GM. 

• WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Between this and the report that JD is swooning over Fuaga, he really needs to control his emotions more. 

How I imagine JD when he scouts

Do Want I Need It GIF

In this case, my "source" for what it is worth is a sports photographer that is often on the sidelines.  He speaks to lots of people who say they are in the know.  It could be good info, or just steam.  From where I am sitting, not much of what I heard makes sense, but what the hell.  Let's see if what I am hearing plays out.  Here are some tidbits.  The Giants LOVE Joe Alt and if they had a chance he would be the guy they draft.  Does not make sense considering they have Andrew Thomas but that is what the talk is.  The Jets love Bowers and would take him before Joe Alt.  Again, does not make sense, but that is the word.  Could be deliberate miss information ???  And, here is the most interesting tid-bit.  One or two of the teams that wind up drafting at the 1, 2 and 3 spots may not take a QB.  We may very well see Joe Alt or MHJ go in the top three.  I don't believe it, but that is the word.  Nobody likes any of the QB's as much as they like Alt, MHJ  and Bowers. 

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Big picture, considering they’re all in this year with rodgers and don’t have a 2nd rounder - you’d have to think douglas wants to trade out of 10.  

I think the opposite.😉

If they’re strategically drafting for all in this year they may more likely go with the surest instant starter they can get rather than the greatest quantity of potential instant starters they can get.

Keep in mind a trade down likely means acquiring a 2nd rounder in that later slot, not a high 2nd. Is the 50th-60th pick in this draft worth the downgrade from #10 to #22-25? Maybe yes, maybe no, depending who they’d take in each slot, but it’s something a team more typically does to build for the future more than the present imo.

Unlikely he’ll new heading into the draft with two full starter holes anyway. Not even one hole, if he’s really eyeing the TE, so his hands aren’t tied at #10.

He was all in last year, too, and took a 4th/5th edge/end (Lawson, JJII, JFM, Huff) - so he was an obvious pick for the future more than an immediate need. Then again his strategy this year may be to not repeat that strategy after another losing season.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

In this case, my "source" for what it is worth is a sports photographer that is often on the sidelines.  He speaks to lots of people who say they are in the know.  It could be good info, or just steam.  From where I am sitting, not much of what I heard makes sense, but what the hell.  Let's see if what I am hearing plays out.  Here are some tidbits.  The Giants LOVE Joe Alt and if they had a chance he would be the guy they draft.  Does not make sense considering they have Andrew Thomas but that is what the talk is.  The Jets love Bowers and would take him before Joe Alt.  Again, does not make sense, but that is the word.  Could be deliberate miss information ???  And, here is the most interesting tid-bit.  One or two of the teams that wind up drafting at the 1, 2 and 3 spots may not take a QB.  We may very well see Joe Alt or MHJ go in the top three.  I don't believe it, but that is the word.  Nobody likes any of the QB's as much as they like Alt, MHJ  and Bowers. 

Sports photographer with inside info? LFG. (Whether it's true or not, who cares? It's something to talk about)

I don't think the top 3 thing is far fetched. I think it's Williams and Daniels as QB1 and 2. Then it's probably a WR or OT. 

I could see the Jets wanting to fix the OL before the draft and not have to rely on a rookie. Taking a playmaker could have more of an immediate impact. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

The task is going to be firmly on saleh.  I’m thinking Douglas will find/ draft decent oline players.  It’ll be up to saleh to get them to play effectively.

Not exactly inspiring. Saleh - along with LaFleur - surely had plenty of say (in the affirmative) in acquiring Tomlinson in the first place. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not exactly inspiring. Saleh - along with LaFleur - surely had plenty of say (in the affirmative) in acquiring Tomlinson in the first place. 

IIRC, most here, including me, were happy with the initial signing.  I do remember one poster who specifically posted that the 49ers knew he was nearly washed and dumped him at the right time.  It was right after we got him.  Whoever that poster was, he was 100% correct.  But nearly everyone else was happy.  IIRC.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Correct.the incoming head coach, the incoming OC, and the incoming line coach all had ties to Tomlinson from San Francisco. The line coach, the OC, and Tomlinson are all gone now.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Joejet said:

Correct.the incoming head coach, the incoming OC, and the incoming line coach all had ties to Tomlinson from San Francisco. The line coach, the OC, and Tomlinson are all gone now.

just one more to go to sanitize.  Sadly we have to wait another year.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m feeling frisky this morning and want to poke the bear a bit by mentioning how shocking it was to find out that none of 30 sources in the pockets of Rosenblatt and Russini didn’t tip them off to this.

Hm.

Ironic, no? Wonder what Hogan is doing these days to earn a living.😎

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just a disappointing player.   He deserves credit for being available though.  An Iron man of badness.

Now cut CJ Mosley to show you are serious about priorities for this team.

Cap space for a #2 WR, at least two o lineman if not three and perhaps even Huff is vastly more important than a 32 year old tackles only LB.

The Jets get two June 1 cuts laken is one but uzomah is probably the other not mosely 

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why do people keep repeating this fallacy?

Joe Douglas' contract ends in June 2025.  After the 2024 season is over but BEFORE the 2025 season starts.

He has one season left on his deal.  He will not be the Jets GM for the 2025 season without an extension.

Ok fine. LMFAO. This has zero impact on the point I was trying to make. I don't think this is some kind of conspiracy by the way. I think this is just a simple misunderstanding about exactly when he was signed and exactly how long his contract is active. 

parks and recreation whats your point GIF 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Sports photographer with inside info? LFG. (Whether it's true or not, who cares? It's something to talk about)

I don't think the top 3 thing is far fetched. I think it's Williams and Daniels as QB1 and 2. Then it's probably a WR or OT. 

I could see the Jets wanting to fix the OL before the draft and not have to rely on a rookie. Taking a playmaker could have more of an immediate impact. 

Could be, yes... This is going to be a really fascinating draft for the Jets and in general.  Anything can happen.  

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would love to get back into the 2nd rd and take that  Willis kid from NC State. Then you can say bye bye to Mosley.

You do not need to use a 2nd round pick to get a tackling linebacker.   You find them all over the draft, later round picks and UDFa and very cheap NFL free agents.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would love to get back into the 2nd rd and take that  Willis kid from NC State. Then you can say bye bye to Mosley.

Yeah we'd all love to have that 2nd Rd pick but they needed to trade for Aaron and here we are 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

my point, exactly.  douglas seems to be taking an inordinate amount of heat for the oline failure when most of it should be falling on saleh, imo.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Point was obvious.  

kdXYcqw%2BL2K1EwIntB1zQVphlF51%2BWZqqPSY

I mean, look, I'm not trying to get into a whole thing. But what is your point. If its so obvious...

My response was to the following comment...

Douglas has been here so long he’s cutting his own free agent signings. That doesn’t happen too often. 

Whether Douglas' contract is up after the 2024 season or after the 2025 season has no impact on whether or not he should be cutting his own FA signings. He was very much still signed to a long term deal where, as a responsible GM, he should very much, if nec., cut his own FA acquisitions for the betterment of the team. 

19 minutes ago, rangerous said:

my point, exactly.  douglas seems to be taking an inordinate amount of heat for the oline failure when most of it should be falling on saleh, imo.

Douglas certainly deserves the blame.  Did Saleh have his say in the acquisition?  Sure but it falls on JD especially since building the OL has been a big failure 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Nope

They're drafting Troy Fautanu from Washington

Most likely

Bakhitari/. T.  Fautanu*/. Warren 

Vera-Tucker/. D. Edwards 

Tippmann/ Schweitzer 

J. Jackson/. Z. Zinter*

T. Fautanu*/ Mitchell 

Aaron should we give bakhtiari a 5 year deal or 6 year deal fully guaranteed?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

How is this on Saleh? For not paying attention to the offense? 

if you tally them all up, free agents, drafts, trades, Joe Douglas has made like 20 plus moves on this line since he arrived 

Ryan Kalil 

Alex Lewis 

Mekhi Becton 

Cam Clark 

Connor McGovern 

George Fant 

Greg van roten 

AVT 

Morgan Moses leaving 

Conor McDermott 

Chuma edoga leaving 

Laken tomlinson 

Mike remmers

Duane Brown 

Cedric ogbouhi 

Laurent duvernay tariff 

Nate herbig 

Chris glaser 

Jake hanson 

Xavier Newman 

Max Mitchell 

Dennis Kelly 

Carter Warren 

Joe Tippmann 

Im surely forgetting someone. And like 2 of those moves have been good 

The fact that it's still a total rebuild in year 5 is totally ludicrous 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I mean, look, I'm not trying to get into a whole thing. But what is your point. If its so obvious...

My one and only point was that Joe Douglas is in the final year of his contract, and does not have "two seasons" left. 

That should have been quite clear.

There is no "thing" to get into.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Whether Douglas' contract is up after the 2024 season or after the 2025 season has no impact on whether or not he should be cutting his own FA signings.

What about trading his own number 2 overall pick for pennies on the dollar? Is that rare enough for you? 

15 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets media never fails to disappoint: at best (and to be kind) Tomlinson was pedestrian here.  And when you factor his absurd salary and age this move should be a no brainer.  Instead the media is acting like the team just released Gene Upshaw 🤡.  Any sober analysis of this line leads to the conclusion that, other than Tippman and AVT, the other positions needed a serious upgrade.  And that was regardless of whether Tomlinson was here or not.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans celebrating Douglas cutting Tomlinson reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy. Then again, so much of Jets Fan Life reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy. 

"That movie was supposed to just be a silly comedy... not prophecy."

-Mike Judge

• Haha 1