Hardman sounds off on the Jets

38 minutes ago, Unruly Jets Fan said:

Former Jets WR/Super Bowl hero Mecole Hardman, appearing on @Realrclark25's Pivot podcast, shed some light on what led to his trade from the Jets. For instance:

* Hardman said he refused to return punts vs KC because he felt STC Brant Boyer had misled him about the punt-returning job in camp, and that he didn't have enough time to prepare when asked on the night of the KC game to step in for Xavier Gipson, who had tweaked an ankle a few days earlier. Hardman said he was dealing with his own injury (hyperextended pinky) that made it tough to catch. He said Saleh tried to convince him to do it, but Hardman said he told him, "I'm not catching for that man (Boyer)." 

* Hardman candidly admitted that, by that point, "I was so checked out, like, it was over with. I had already talked to (KC GM Brett) Veach and Pat (Mahomes), like, ‘Come get me.’" Two weeks later, he was traded back to KC.

* On why it didn't work out with the Jets, Hardman said, "It’s the lies and the way they handled me. I didn’t like it at all." He made it clear that, other than Garrett Wilson, he felt he was as good or better than every WR on the team.

* On the Jets' 2023 culture/Hackett: "You just got a new (offensive) coaching staff that came in and there’s no standard there. Everybody does what they want to do. Granted, the defense has more of a stabilized standard with the coaching staff on that side, so the defense has a standard. But the offense is just like, 'We’ll just figure it out. It’s Aaron’s show. Let Aaron do what Aaron does.' Then when Aaron goes down, it’s like we don’t know what to do."
youtube.com/watch?v=C6sdL8…

The CS doesn't seem to be respected at all.  I get it's "just a pinky" but ZW wasn't happy with the CS either.  Possibly (and this is just a guess) the only reason Saleh's "convincing" worked on ZW was the promise of "we'll trade you this offseason".   Not just these 2 guys either btw.  Eli Moore is another.  I think there might be more.

• Upvote 3

It’s hilarious how good he thinks he is. 

Hard to trust what he’s saying when it’s smothered in bitterness. 

Id imagine they told them he’d have a large role behind Wilson, in the slot, etc. Then Rodgers went down, he cries he’s not more involved and Gipson did just as much without the sh*t attitude and cost. 

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The CS doesn't seem to be respected at all.  I get it's "just a pinky" but ZW wasn't happy with the CS either.  Possibly (and this is just a guess) the only reason Saleh's "convincing" worked on ZW was the promise of "we'll trade you this offseason".   Not just these 2 guys either btw.  Eli Moore is another.  I think there might be more.

Nobody in the building knows offense so instead of replacing the coaches and finding guys who know offense they traded for rodgers and gave him the offense.  When he got hurt there was nobody else, yet again, who knew offense.  And that’s going to repeat in 2024.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Given his stats with both the Jets & Chiefs, who had absolutely NOTHING established when they traded for him back, its safe to say that he should have been on the bench.  Right now he’s got his 15 minutes of fame for catching the last pass of the season which, truthfully, any WR would have caught, even ass-hands Lazard.

I also really love the part where he opens the Chiefs up to tampering charges.  That complete and utter lack of self-awareness is probably why Mecole lost the job that he was “promised” to Lazard and an UDFA rookie.

Someone tell this guy that enough is enough already.  He wasn’t what we thought we were getting, and we did him a solid by trading him to the Chiefs.  There’s a really high chance this dude probably won’t be on KC’s opening roster next year, and he’ll probably go back to ragging on the Chiefs for a second time, since that’s he did that last year during free agency.  The Jets staff (which wasn’t great, IMO) why he’s a JAG.  He’s the reason that he is a JAG.

I agree with the criticism of the guy but I still think he would've been our 2nd best WR last year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Unruly Jets Fan said:

Hardman candidly admitted that, by that point, "I was so checked out, like, it was over with. I had already talked to (KC GM Brett) Veach and Pat (Mahomes), like, ‘Come get me.’" Two weeks later, he was traded back to KC.

Is that not tampering?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Some of that may be true.  Says a lot about his character that 4 games into a 5 million dollar contract he was "So checked out"
I know it must have been a massive disappointment going from Rodgers to Wilson, but be a professional.
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with the criticism of the guy but I still think he would've been our 2nd best WR last year.

His inability to catch in training camp paired with his piss-poor diaper filling attitude suggests otherwise.

Xavier Gibson and Jason Brownlee didn’t have their jobs handed to them.  They earned it.  Through the ups and downs, they didn’t “check out” like Mecole did.  That one paragraph perfectly explains his entire career up to this point:

Extremely talented athlete who has zero work ethic and wants everything handed to him or else he just throws his hands up in the air to give up.  

Normally I wouldn’t give this bullsh*t one iota of thought, but the “I think I’m better than every WR not named Garrett Wilson” portion pissed me off.  Not only is it untrue because of the point made above, it’s his own doing and he wants to blame every single person other than the man in the mirror.

”Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t want to work.”

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

His inability to catch in training camp paired with his piss-poor diaper filling attitude suggests otherwise.

Xavier Gibson and Jason Brownlee didn’t have their jobs handed to them.  They earned it.  Through the ups and downs, they didn’t “check out” like Mecole did.  That one paragraph perfectly explains his entire career up to this point:

Extremely talented athlete who has zero work ethic and wants everything handed to him or else he just throws his hands up in the air to give up.  

Normally I wouldn’t give this bullsh*t one iota of thought, but the “I think I’m better than every WR not named Garrett Wilson” portion pissed me off.  Not only is it untrue because of the point made above, it’s his own doing and he wants to blame every single person other than the man in the mirror.

”Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t want to work.”

Brownlee barely got on the field until late in the season, no?  And Gipson was a punt returner who defaulted to WR2 because the rest of the group was so awful.  

• Upvote 1

Hardman gets pissed at the CS. HE calls KC asking to come get him, THEY didn’t call him.

Either he goes to the Jets and asks them to send him back, or KC calls, explains what happened and either team proposes a trade.

Maybe I’m wrong (because I don’t know the rules on tampering), but I don’t understand how KC can be accused of it here?