Moving to Raliegh. Insights anybody????

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

My brother was miserable in Cary.  

My father-in-law loves Greensboro and my cousin likes it too.  

Traffic in “The Triangle” is supposedly a nightmare.   Lots of good Indian food in the area which is my personal favorite btw.

I found NC to be quite lovely for a visit, but no way I would leave Florida for it permanently…

Florida. Land of prehistoric insects. 🤮 Not my cup of tea. 95 degrees 9 months of the year with sweltering humidity.  No thanks.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Why do u torture yourself like that

Stupidity, I'd thought about moving to the far east of canada where it is warmer but they get TONS of snow.

I used to live on Vancouver island which is much more moderate but the cost to buy there is very high relative to here.

I hate moving so there is a laziness component to it for sure.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Stupidity, I'd thought about moving to the far east of canada where it is warmer but they get TONS of snow.

I used to live on Vancouver island which is much more moderate but the cost to buy there is very high relative to here.

Haha so you are canadian citizen then eh?

you know what as a kid nyc winters were also brutal. Thank god for climate change

Just now, HighPitch said:

Yes, there are quite a few Canadians that do winter down in the usa. 

AT minimum I should have taken a winter vacation this year.   March is by far our worst month beause you think that by this time it should warming and if often still just stinks.

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

May want to learn how to spell Raleigh first LOL.. j/k.

Been down in this area for 13+ yrs now.  Love it, still get seasons. Generally Spring starts end Feb, early March.  2.5 hrs for the coast/beach and about 3hrs from mountains.  Booming job market here but the area is growing very fast.  

What specifically you looking for advice on?   Housing is still red hot... apartments are even more difficult.

I think I’m becoming dyslexic. I keep spelling the teh. All my posts are mixing letters up. lol. 😂 So housing I can afford is my biggest worry/fear/need. I really need some decent space in a fairly nice neighborhood with a social vibe. I don’t want to live in the sticks or America Pie suburb. I’ll lose it. Grew up in NYC and just had enough. So difficult now to find a medium - don’t want to bog you all down but I’ve been like Kung Fu traveling all over the damn country over the last 9 years and it’s really challenging to find a place that’s affordable and has a good paying job market. 

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would love to visit Vancouver, Canada. I hear it’s gorgeous there. 

Lived there from 2004 to 2020, I lived in Johnston county just east of Raleigh by 10 miles. Worked in Cary for 11 years, then my own shop in downtown Raleigh. I drove mostly back roads to and from work, not bad commute that way, get on I40 during rush hour….. forget about it. 
once you learn your way around it’s pretty awesome. Good food, (Carolina bbq) people are friendly, 4 seasons, winters are mild, will snow once in a while but not bad. They don’t do much for road prep in the snowstorms so beware! Roads can ice up quick and leave you stranded.  It’s not like the upper northeast where they plow, salt and brine…… don’t get cocky about snow driving! lol. 

beach is 2 hours east, mountains 2 hours west,  some great venues for concerts and the like. 
I wouldn’t mind going back!

Semper Fi

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Larz said:

I know 3 couples that moved from the northeast to the Carolina’s and 2 came back. They both said it was almost impossible to meet people and one had a 45 minute drive to the supermarket. 

I guess it’s a bigger adjustment than people think 

No way…. This place is FULL of NYers.  I moved here at 33.  Im 62 now I have made great friends, built a great business. I LOVE Charlotte.    I would say the people who move back are less than 5 percent.   

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

No idea. Never been there. i was in asheville 9 years back for a short spell but never seen Raliegh so hoping for some  insight from those who are in the know. Thanks!

Raleigh is a great town. A little more spread out than Charlotte but I have family there.  Great place to live.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

I would love to visit Vancouver, Canada. I hear it’s gorgeous there. 

Parts of Vancouver and the areas around Vancouver are very nice but it is a large city with large city problems.  Worth a visit for sure.

• Upvote 1

It's a great town .. NY south basically ... But don't be fooled. .. the blue money will always rule.

That being said ... Daily Pint Studios is run by a good friend with great beers. Lone Rider is another excellent choice. Sola for coffee and beugi breakfast.

I don't know how old you are ... But if you are over 35 move north or west ... It's a big college town the closer you get to the center of town.

Harris Teeter in Creedmore Rd is a great super market.

Many good restaurants downtown and some decent BBQ .. but the best pulled pork BBQ is not at a huge restaurant.. it's at the home grown home cookin spots.

The original Krispy Kreme is on Capital Blvd ... Look for the 'hot' sign.

Service is slow ... Get used to it and don't get impatient and become 'that guy'.

There IS a local Jets Fan club ... Or at least the was in the late 90s.

Stonehenge are had some nice house with actual trees in the yards.

Frisbee golf course on spring valley road was pretty good .. but probably condos now. Umstead park used to be a nice hiking location .. but was battered by hurricanes last I checked.

Falls Lake is a great nearby day trip for picnicking and boating.

It's a great town .. but slow. Lived in LA, Raleigh, DC, NYC, and Northern NJ ... It was the nicest location nature wise.

Enjoy and relax.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

My brother was miserable in Cary.  

My father-in-law loves Greensboro and my cousin likes it too.  

Traffic in “The Triangle” is supposedly a nightmare.   Lots of good Indian food in the area which is my personal favorite btw.

I found NC to be quite lovely for a visit, but no way I would leave Florida for it permanently…

My brother lives in Cary for ten years.   Don’t be a halfback.    That’s the people who come from north and originally go to Florida, and come half way back up north.     Good luck you can become a panthers fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

My brother lives in Cary for ten years.   Don’t be a halfback.    That’s the people who come from north and originally go to Florida, and come half way back up north.     Good luck you can become a panthers fan.

My blood bleeds green! Thanks and good luck to The RRRRRaiders in 2024. 

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

It's a great town .. NY south basically ... But don't be fooled. .. the blue money will always rule.

That being said ... Daily Pint Studios is run by a good friend with great beers. Lone Rider is another excellent choice. Sola for coffee and beugi breakfast.

I don't know how old you are ... But if you are over 35 move north or west ... It's a big college town the closer you get to the center of town.

Harris Teeter in Creedmore Rd is a great super market.

Many good restaurants downtown and some decent BBQ .. but the best pulled pork BBQ is not at a huge restaurant.. it's at the home grown home cookin spots.

The original Krispy Kreme is on Capital Blvd ... Look for the 'hot' sign.

Service is slow ... Get used to it and don't get impatient and become 'that guy'.

There IS a local Jets Fan club ... Or at least the was in the late 90s.

Stonehenge are had some nice house with actual trees in the yards.

Frisbee gold course on spring valley road was pretty good .. but probably condos now. Umstead park used to be a nice hiking location .. but was battered by hurricanes last I checked.

Falls Lake is a great nearby day trip for picnicking and boating.

It's a great town .. but slow. Lived in LA, Raleigh, DC, NYC, and Northern NJ ... It was the nicest location nature wise.

Enjoy and relax.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Great stuff bro. Exactly stuff I need to know. You guys have helped so much!

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I feel your pain.

Coldest I’ver been in my life: Montreal, Canada. 1974 age 17. School trip from NY. 15 inches of snow just fell. Snow blindness with the sun glistening off the snow. 36 degrees BELOW ZERO. The Ice Bowl would have been like a spring day. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

you know what as a kid nyc winters were also brutal. Thank god for climate change

True. I remember the sixties. Winter now is like early spring. It would snow in NYC in the 60’s two, three times a week. And SNOW STORMS. 5/8/10 inches of snow. Brutal cold 10 degrees. WTF is happening to this world. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Have you already found a place?  I know the market has been tight with so many people moving down here but if you cast a wide enough net you should be OK. 

I have friends and family who live everywhere from the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area (west/southwest of Raleigh) to Garner (southeast) to North Raleigh/Wake Forest (northeast) to Chapel Hill/Durham (northwest).  

Yeah my Niece just graduated NC State and bought a Townhouse.  Was like the 13th house/townhouse she bid on they were all selling in under 24 hours.  Finally got an exclusive listing to seal the deal.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

True. I remember the sixties. Winter now is like early spring. It would snow in NYC in the 60’s two, three times a week. And SNOW STORMS. 5/8/10 inches of snow. Brutal cold 10 degrees. WTF is happening to this world. 

AND…. We still had to go to school! Now? SNOW FLURRY!!! SCHOOL IS CANCELING!! And you see no kids outside playing in the snow. They’re all inside gorging themselves and playing video games

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Coldest I’ver been in my life: Montreal, Canada. 1974 age 17. School trip from NY. 15 inches of snow just fell. Snow blindness with the sun glistening off the snow. 36 degrees BELOW ZERO. The Ice Bowl would have been like a spring day. 

Welcome to my World.

Good luck with the move.

• Upvote 1

The traffic on 40, 440, and 540 will be familiar . We’ve moved 4 times and what always worked best for me was to find work and then look for a place to rent. During the first year we would look for a place to buy. Good luck and welcome to NC. Triangle area is mostly people from outside the state so shouldn’t have any problem fitting in.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Have you already found a place?  I know the market has been tight with so many people moving down here but if you cast a wide enough net you should be OK. 

I have friends and family who live everywhere from the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area (west/southwest of Raleigh) to Garner (southeast) to North Raleigh/Wake Forest (northeast) to Chapel Hill/Durham (northwest).  

I live in Tampa Florida but my parents just built a house in Apex and my brother and sister and their families live in Pittsboro. I’m in those areas often.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So I've decided to get OUT of NE MA and move down to Raliegh NC this summer and I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.  So tired of paying out the wazoo for a closet apartment and the people here SUCK and its cold, cold, cold.   I moved her since my daughter was here and now, she's got to get out since its just oo expensive for her as well.  She's excited about Raliegh since it seems way more affordable for her and her kids.  As Bart Scott says "I cant wait"!!!  I will miss telling people here wearing Pats jerseys "Partiots SUCK".  Thats been the highlight of my 2 years here.   

Good morning M-13, as a Jersey-born ex-south Florida transplant who is now referred to as a "halfback" (halfway back to the Northeast) I can honestly say that we love it here in Raleigh. Since moving here in November of 2018 at least once a month as we're driving on lush tree lined unobstructed by the bumper to bumper traffic (unlike what Florida has become) roads I tell my wife how much I love living here. Oh yea nary a snowflake fell in Raleigh again, this winter. It DOES get hot as a mother in summer, but where does it not anymore?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So I've decided to get OUT of NE MA and move down to Raliegh NC this summer and I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.  So tired of paying out the wazoo for a closet apartment and the people here SUCK and its cold, cold, cold.   I moved her since my daughter was here and now, she's got to get out since its just oo expensive for her as well.  She's excited about Raliegh since it seems way more affordable for her and her kids.  As Bart Scott says "I cant wait"!!!  I will miss telling people here wearing Pats jerseys "Partiots SUCK".  Thats been the highlight of my 2 years here.   

Lived in a little town called Pittsboro, just south of Raleigh down RT 64. While I wouldn't live in a city (just my choice) nothing wrong with the city, I found that the prices of homes in NC in general have skyrocketed ever since my wife and I moved there in 2016. There was basically no homes near us in the Chapel Ridge Golf course, and now I was down there last week and the amount of new homes is amazing. Almost all the towns around Raleigh are very nice I truly don't think you can go wrong down there no matter which direction around the city you move to. I've been to north Raleigh which is beautiful, I've been on the East and West sides of Raleigh, which are nice as well. Here's a few things that I might mention to keep in mind. the new south part of the 540 bypass is a TOLL road, so if you don't want to pay tolls, you might consider staying anywhere above the RT 40 corridor. That always irked me because as soon as you go north of 540 you can ride that for free. Every time we went to the airport from Pittsboro, we had to pay a toll, unless we took the back roads.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know. Tons of good golf courses around if you like the sport.

12 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Lived in a little town called Pittsboro, just south of Raleigh down RT 64. While I wouldn't live in a city (just my choice) nothing wrong with the city, I found that the prices of homes in NC in general have skyrocketed ever since my wife and I moved there in 2016. There was basically no homes near us in the Chapel Ridge Golf course, and now I was down there last week and the amount of new homes is amazing. Almost all the towns around Raleigh are very nice I truly don't think you can go wrong down there no matter which direction around the city you move to. I've been to north Raleigh which is beautiful, I've been on the East and West sides of Raleigh, which are nice as well. Here's a few things that I might mention to keep in mind. the new south part of the 540 bypass is a TOLL road, so if you don't want to pay tolls, you might consider staying anywhere above the RT 40 corridor. That always irked me because as soon as you go north of 540 you can ride that for free. Every time we went to the airport from Pittsboro, we had to pay a toll, unless we took the back roads.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know. Tons of good golf courses around if you like the sport.

As a working musician we travel from just north of Fayetteville into Virginia and we are able to get to every venue without once having to ride on a highway. It's really set up strangely if you look at the map, the highway system seems to circle the Triangle area, which is why we hardly ever ride them. The traffic here except for a couple of areas is so much less that what we left in Palm Beach County. I love it here

(on edit)Not to mention the Heath Care system through Duke is so much better too, as you get older you'll be glad you're here.

• Upvote 1

@Maynard13 Good luck on your move, and congrats on having a successful daughter who's given you the blessing of grandkids! The area you're moving to is wonderful. I'm born and raised and still in Binghamton, NY, but several fam have moved south (Williamsburg VA, Greensboro NC, Maryland, etc) so I visit often.

I'm glad I'm older and set. House paid off, etc. My wife loves where we are, so moving won't happen for me. If it did, I'd be in a hunting cabin on the shore of some remote lake in Alaska, hooking up StarLink to pirate some Jets games!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Good morning M-13, as a Jersey-born ex-south Florida transplant who is now referred to as a "halfback" (halfway back to the Northeast) I can honestly say that we love it here in Raleigh. Since moving here in November of 2018 at least once a month as we're driving on lush tree lined unobstructed by the bumper to bumper traffic (unlike what Florida has become) roads I tell my wife how much I love living here. Oh yea nary a snowflake fell in Raleigh again, this winter. It DOES get hot as a mother in summer, but where does it not anymore?

Good to hear! I'll deal with a few months of HOT as opposed to 20 degree days snow/sleet late spring/early winter NE climates. And you are correct. Its HOT everywhere in the summer now anywhere. Definately a factor in going there not to mention the price of housing/homes. My daughter cant find ANYTHING here in Mass/Jersey/NH area.  Its just gotten crazy expensive and totally impractical.  She's already found really nice homes in excellent school areas (an absolute must for her)  at 210k versus 500k-700k here up north. Myself, I just need a 2 BR rental for now in a decent neighborhhood. 

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Good to hear! I'll deal with a few months of HOT as opposed to 20 degree days snow/sleet late spring/early winter NE climates. And you are correct. Its HOT everywhere in the summer now anywhere. Definately a factor in going there not to mention the price of housing/homes. My daughter cant find ANYTHING here in Mass/Jersey/NH area.  Its just gotten crazy expensive and totally impractical.  She's already found really nice homes in excellent school areas (an absolute must for her)  at 210k versus 500k-700k here up north. Myself, I just need a 2 BR rental for now in a decent neighborhhood. 

Which are plentiful

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Ideally, I’d like to find a place that has some life to it-a downtown vibe- as opposed to live in the middle of a tree lined suburb. Burn and bred in Manhattan so the distraction of city life is just in my DNA. Of course, there is only a few places as such on this planet. I’d settle for an environment that I can grab a cup of coffee or talk  if a walk with my dog and SEE people.  I guess it’s what called ‘a walkable town’. No clue where that is out there. 

On 3/4/2024 at 6:54 PM, Maynard13 said:

Traffic is sick here in MA. Disgusting. And roads are crap and people drive like morons. They call drivers here Massholes. Bingo. So I wouldn’t be bothered by the traffic there. I lived in Asheville for a few months back in 2015. Job market was tough there so I split BUT I was very impressed with a lot of things about NC. Beautiful country, people were pretty hip, women were really nice and tons of NY’ers there. It had a much friendly vibe all around. And weather was so much milder. Big big plus. 

I hear asheville has been destroyed by hipsters, leftists and druggies