Moving to Raliegh. Insights anybody????

If my daughter and 2 grand kids didn't buy a house 2 miles up the road, we'd be out of here (Northern NJ).  But they are here for a very long time to come.  I'm going to probably die in this house. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

Lived there for 7 years .. what area will you be in ? .. N. Raleigh, Stonhenge area, Strickland , falls of neuse ? Or more toward the center of town ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If my daughter and 2 grand kids didn't buy a house 2 miles up the road, we'd be out of here (Northern NJ).  But they are here for a very long time to come.  I'm going to probably die in this house. 

God works in mystrerious ways. So I've experienced.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Lived there for 7 years .. what area will you be in ? .. N. Raleigh, Stonhenge area, Strickland , falls of neuse ? Or more toward the center of town ?

No idea. Never been there. i was in asheville 9 years back for a short spell but never seen Raliegh so hoping for some  insight from those who are in the know. Thanks!

I know 3 couples that moved from the northeast to the Carolina’s and 2 came back. They both said it was almost impossible to meet people and one had a 45 minute drive to the supermarket. 

I guess it’s a bigger adjustment than people think 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I know 3 couples that moved from the northeast to the Carolina’s and 2 came back. They both said it was almost impossible to meet people and one had a 45 minute drive to the supermarket. 

Ridiculous.they didnt plan right. Did the supermarket grow legs and walk 25 miles away?

dude your going to love the change moving is always good for the soul

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

Probably South Carolina.  That's not my experience at all here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

So I've decided to get OUT of NE MA and move down to Raliegh NC this summer and I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.  So tired of paying out the wazoo for a closet apartment and the people here SUCK and its cold, cold, cold.   I moved her since my daughter was here and now, she's got to get out since its just oo expensive for her as well.  She's excited about Raliegh since it seems way more affordable for her and her kids.  As Bart Scott says "I cant wait"!!!  I will miss telling people here wearing Pats jerseys "Partiots SUCK".  Thats been the highlight of my 2 years here.   

Have you already found a place?  I know the market has been tight with so many people moving down here but if you cast a wide enough net you should be OK. 

I have friends and family who live everywhere from the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area (west/southwest of Raleigh) to Garner (southeast) to North Raleigh/Wake Forest (northeast) to Chapel Hill/Durham (northwest).  

• Upvote 1

I moved between Greensboro and Winston-Salem in 2015 and couldn’t be happier. We can play golf year around and there are 4 seasons without hardly any snow. Raleigh is a beautiful area but the traffic is a bit crazy. Welcome to North Carolina, I think you will love it.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Have you already found a place?  I know the market has been tight with so many people moving down here but if you cast a wide enough net you should be OK. 

I have friends and family who live everywhere from the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area (west/southwest of Raleigh) to Garner (southeast) to North Raleigh/Wake Forest (northeast) to Chapel Hill/Durham (northwest).  

I really do need to stalk you when I visit my brother in Clayton. 

• Haha 1

My brother was miserable in Cary.  

My father-in-law loves Greensboro and my cousin likes it too.  

Traffic in “The Triangle” is supposedly a nightmare.   Lots of good Indian food in the area which is my personal favorite btw.

I found NC to be quite lovely for a visit, but no way I would leave Florida for it permanently…

I lived in Cary back in the early 90s. Couple from Buffalo owned a bar there. A Bills bar with a huge Jet banner from a preseason game there

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I really do need to stalk you when I visit my brother in Clayton. 

You having a brother who lives in Clayton makes perfect sense.  Might want to reach out to me before you get there or else your internet will be spotty.  😂

• Haha 1

My buddy and his wife moved down at the end of 2018 so I've been a few times over the past few years, mostly recently this Jan. 

And boy has it expaned massively in that area over the past few years. New housing (mostly HOAs) developments and shopping centers everywhere. Everything is a drive though, not too crazy since there are shopping centers everywhere. 

I enjoyed my time there and they love it there too. They got to a lot of sporting events at NC State and the city of Raliegh itself nice, very clean from what I saw. Tons of bbq and nicro brews

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

It’s a big state like most states are big. I’m living in NE Mass about 13 miles from Boston. It takes 50 minutes to drive there. Just pitiful. Depends where you live.

May want to learn how to spell Raleigh first LOL.. j/k.

Been down in this area for 13+ yrs now.  Love it, still get seasons. Generally Spring starts end Feb, early March.  2.5 hrs for the coast/beach and about 3hrs from mountains.  Booming job market here but the area is growing very fast.  

What specifically you looking for advice on?   Housing is still red hot... apartments are even more difficult.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You having a brother who lives in Clayton makes perfect sense.  Might want to reach out to me before you get there or else your internet will be spotty.  😂

Yeah they moved there like 3 years ago. The community is nice and it’s building up so it’s not desolate. The south is too hot for me so I’ll stay in PA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Totally unfamiliar with the area. I think you had previously mentioned N Raleigh as did @SouthernJet as a good destination. My daughter is a real estate whiz and she’s already targeting Morrisville/Cary/Apex area. She’s found houses to rent 3 BR for 1800. I’m solo so less picky. First things first though. Have to get my SW license, then land a job, offer letter, then get a place. I’m out of here end of July so have time to get the ducks lined up but time flies so I’m getting busy now!

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

I moved between Greensboro and Winston-Salem in 2015 and couldn’t be happier. We can play golf year around and there are 4 seasons without hardly any snow. Raleigh is a beautiful area but the traffic is a bit crazy. Welcome to North Carolina, I think you will love it.

Traffic is sick here in MA. Disgusting. And roads are crap and people drive like morons. They call drivers here Massholes. Bingo. So I wouldn’t be bothered by the traffic there. I lived in Asheville for a few months back in 2015. Job market was tough there so I split BUT I was very impressed with a lot of things about NC. Beautiful country, people were pretty hip, women were really nice and tons of NY’ers there. It had a much friendly vibe all around. And weather was so much milder. Big big plus. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So I've decided to get OUT of NE MA and move down to Raliegh NC this summer and I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.  So tired of paying out the wazoo for a closet apartment and the people here SUCK and its cold, cold, cold.   I moved her since my daughter was here and now, she's got to get out since its just oo expensive for her as well.  She's excited about Raliegh since it seems way more affordable for her and her kids.  As Bart Scott says "I cant wait"!!!  I will miss telling people here wearing Pats jerseys "Partiots SUCK".  Thats been the highlight of my 2 years here.   

Best of luck with your move !

• Upvote 2