Baker Mayfield's worth

Not Jets related but heard speculation on a podcast yesterday with a former scout and current Steelers media guy say quite flippantly that they expect Baker Mayfield to get over $40 million per year.

I mean, I know he had a good year but that's crazy, right?

What do you think his new deal comes in at?

when the cap goes up 50 mil in 3 cap years (2022-2023-2024) then this is the effect on QB salary 

considering the middle tier Derek Carr Aaron Rodgers 35+ mil level for what we assume is similar play to Baker, the playoff run, it that isn't crazy. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not Jets related but heard speculation on a podcast yesterday with a former scout and current Steelers media guy say quite flippantly that they expect Baker Mayfield to get over $40 million per year.

Anyone gives Baker Mayfield anywhere close to forty million will have Daniel Jones type regret .      There was some defending Daniel Jones on this board , that he was good qb. ( after his bs 2022) Please the little midget going to go back to same player he’s been in the nfl for the majority of his career -   A scrub.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Anyone gives Baker Mayfield anywhere close to forty million will have Daniel Jones type regret .      There was some defending Daniel Jones on this board , that he was good qb. ( after his bs 2022) Please the little midget going to go back to same player he’s been in the nfl for the majority of his career -   A scrub.

Baker Mayfield is a legitimate top ten QB. He's as good or better than any second tier franchise QB imo. 

Daniel Jones absolutely blows and is a backup level quarterback 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Baker Mayfield is a legitimate top ten QB. He's as good or better than any second tier franchise QB imo. 

Daniel Jones absolutely blows and is a backup level quarterback 

You have no clue what the hell you’re talking about.   I will let Baker Mayfield 2024 season speak for itself, and prove my point.  The Bills have better chance of winning a Super Bowl in your lifetime( never going to happen)  than Baker Mayfield has to be top ten qb in the NFL.

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He should get more than Danny Dimes...but not by much

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

You have no clue what the hell you’re talking about.   I will let Baker Mayfield 2024 season speak for itself, and prove my point.  The Bills have better chance of winning a Super Bowl in your lifetime( never going to happen)  than Baker Mayfield has to be top ten qb in the NFL.

Bakers resume speaks for itself. He's in the same tier as your cousins, carr , Goff, and Dak 

Bakers biggest issue which I think he's gotten past is maturity 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Cousins, Carr and Dak never win playoff games.  Baker won one last year and almost took TB to the NFC CG.

IIRC, he was hurt too but gritted it out.  I never liked the guy but he had a heck of a comeback year.

I agree. I mean cousins and Dak have won a couple playoff games but yeah. Baker is a legitimate second tier franchise QB. Always has been. He's is also streaky and can get hot

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I agree. I mean cousins and Dak have won a couple playoff games but yeah. Baker is a legitimate second tier franchise QB. Always has been. He's is also streaky and can get hot

It felt to me last year like he showed the "steps up when the going gets tough in the postseason" gene, unlike Dak, Carr and Cousins. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This is the EXACT type of QB you do NOT pay the big dollars to.   If someone else wants to hand him like 30 million let him go.  No way I give him more than like 20.

He’s essentially Jeff Garcia

If you want to pay $35+ million annually and hitch your wagon to that for the next 3+ years…knock yourself out.

I think the Bucs pretty much have to is the problem. And they’ll largely ride the same train that Minnesota has with Cousins for the last 5 years or that New Orleans will with Carr for the foreseeable future.

Or that the Jets rode with Pennington. For as much as I liked Chad, any hope of him being an upper echelon QB was realistically squashed in 2004.

Being stuck with a guy like this just ensures purgatory.

Not good enough to ever win a championship, but not sh*tty enough to immediately distance yourself from.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He’ll probably get a 3 year 100-120 but only first year will be guaranteed. He won’t get the guarantees the studs have gotten. Starting qb pay is entering the 55-60 mill range. A starter at 30-40 is a bargain if you’re getting a 4-4.5k 28td and 10 ints or better. 

• Upvote 2

Mayfield is a high risk/high reward acquisition. He's had a lot of injuries and uneven performance as a result. Any long term contract is rolling the dice that he'll avoid injury and have more good streaks than bad. I wouldn't pay him top tier compensation but I suspect he can find a team that would. 

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s essentially Jeff Garcia

If you want to pay $35+ million annually and hitch your wagon to that for the next 3+ years…knock yourself out.

I think the Bucs pretty much have to is the problem. And they’ll largely ride the same train that Minnesota has with Cousins for the last 5 years or that New Orleans will with Carr for the foreseeable future.

Or that the Jets rode with Pennington. For as much as I liked Chad, any hope of him being an upper echelon QB was realistically squashed in 2004.

Being stuck with a guy like this just ensures purgatory.

Not good enough to ever win a championship, but not sh*tty enough to immediately distance yourself from.

He's a tier above Garcia 

47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Cousins, Carr and Dak never win playoff games.  Baker won one last year and almost took TB to the NFC CG.

IIRC, he was hurt too but gritted it out.  I never liked the guy but he had a heck of a comeback year.

For sure, bet on himself and won a job and a contract.

They have no real choice but to pay him, unless they want a rebuild. And you don’t pay Evan’s and not sign Baker.

I’ve always like Carr more than him and now I think I have swung the other way. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Baker is too Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes and Burrow 

What Boomer Esiason was to Kelly, Elway and Marino

Man that’s some heavy disrespect to Boomer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Baker is too Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes and Burrow 

What Boomer Esiason was to Kelly, Elway and Marino

Boomer got to a SB but lost (though in a close one).  Kelly lost 4 SBs.  Marino lost 1.  I think Elway lost 3 before winning 2 to end his career.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

No it's not. Again Baker had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever and took one of the worst organizations in sports to respectability and real hope

Dude Boomer was a top 5 QB in his prime took Joe Montana to rip the SB trophy out of his hands and he never got a chance to grab it back.

Baker has done zero other then act like an immature bitch.

Love his commercials though.

Jim Kelly and your Bills STOLE his offense he made famous.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Dude Boomer was a top 5 QB in his prime took Joe Montana to rip the SB trophy out of his hands and he never got a chance to grab it back.

Baker has done zero other then act like an immature bitch.

Love his commercials though.

Jim Kelly and your Bills STOLE his offense he made famous.

I know all of this. Just because boomer got to a super bowl doesn't mean what I'm saying is not true. 

Boomer was also never a top 5 QB

Marino

Montana

Elway

Kelly

Moon

Fouts

Aikman- somewhat later

Favre - although a little later

Phil Simms - debatable

Randall Cunningham

Jim McMahon - yes he was better but ruined by injuries

Jim Everett - yes he was better

That's just off the top of my head. 

Boomer like Baker was a second tier legit franchise QB 

• More Ugh 1

54 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Baker is a solid qb. Not top 10. Not bottom 10. Somewhere in the middle. And there’s nothing wrong with that. he may never win a SB but he is a solid qb. He can get you into the playoffs and anything can happen once you’re in.  

I’d rather have had 3 years of baker than the last 3 years of ZW. Atleast Baker gives you a shot

Baker is somewhere after 5 and before 12 imo

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Boomer got to a SB but lost (though in a close one).  Kelly lost 4 SBs.  Marino lost 1.  I think Elway lost 3 before winning 2 to end his career.

Yeah, that's an odd comparison.

Boomer won an MVP, and was a 92 yard Montana drive away from winning a SB.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I know all of this. Just because boomer got to a super bowl doesn't mean what I'm saying is not true. 

Boomer was also never a top 5 QB

Marino

Montana

Elway

Kelly

Moon

Fouts

Aikman- somewhat later

Favre - although a little later

Phil Simms - debatable

Randall Cunningham

Jim McMahon - yes he was better but ruined by injuries

Jim Everett - yes he was better

That's just off the top of my head. 

Boomer like Baker was a second tier legit franchise QB 

This might be the worst take on QB’s here and that’s hard.

Let me know when Baker wins an MVP over all those talented QB’s you listed.

• Upvote 1