*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey if one of the very top guys fall to them you think about it but more likely you trade down.   I don't think a QB in that spot will be worth it.

I don't either but these GMs and HCs get QB crazy and see what a guy can possibly do versus what kind of player they actually will likely be. It's all conjecture on my part as I fully expect the Vikings and/or Raiders to trade up and shake the whole draft board into pieces.

6 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Crazy, Becton, 1st round pick just 4 years ago. And nothing. Woof

Teams prob saw his Twitter account and said F this. 

The Jets chose to go into the offseason of a win now season with no starting OT's instead of trying to re-sign Becton. Had to be a red flag on top of the injuries and huge sacks allowed number.

• Haha 1

Accountant nerds ruin everything!

"The San Francisco 49ers have forfeited a 2025 draft choice and were penalized another four spots for a selection in this year's draft as a result of administrative payroll accounting errors, the NFL announced Monday.

The Niners will give up their original fifth-round choice in the 2025 draft and have their 2024 fourth-round selection move from No. 131 to No. 135 because of the accounting gaffes."

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter‬⁩

Free-agent OT Trent Brown is scheduled to travel tonight to Cincinnati to meet Tuesday with the Bengals, who lost OT Jonah Williams in free agency to the Cardinals.

3/18/24, 7:28 PM

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Why did he grade the DL as one of the team's weakest units

If I’m reading it right, it’s specifically the interior DL.  Even if he doesn’t like Kinlaw, Fotu, and Thomas, I don’t see how the grade can be so low with Quinnen as one of the starters.

• Upvote 2

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Bengals are adding a key piece on their O-Line, as #Patriots free agent OT Trent Brown plans to sign a 1-year with them, source said. He’s in Cincy on a visit today.

A new home protecting Joe Burrow for Brown.

Next steps for JD:

-Sign Clowney

-Sign Justin Simmons

-Sign a WR3 (I've heard rumors they're interested in OBJ.  Certainly not my favorite guy to root for but whatevs)

-Sign OL depth

-Extend DJ Reed

Work some magic in the draft

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Next steps for JD:

-Sign Clowney

-Sign Justin Simmons

-Sign a WR3 (I've heard rumors they're interested in OBJ.  Certainly not my favorite guy to root for but whatevs)

-Sign OL depth

-Extend DJ Reed

Work some magic in the draft

I think signing OL depth detracts from the ability to address the OL in the draft. They’ve already got Smith, Moses, AVT, Simpson, Tippmann, Schweitzer, Warren, and Mitchell - all of whom should make the roster - and they’ll carry nine or ten guys.

Leaves room for one or two more. That should happen via the draft, especially when you consider that only Simpson, Tippmann, Warren, and Mitchell are signed next year - plus maybe the fifth year option for AVT. Unless the team drafts guys this year they’ll be right back to needing to devote significant resources to the OL offseason.

I kind of think same deal at WR too, FWIW. They should be able to find a WR3 via the draft who can hopefully step into the WR2 role next season.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, derp said:

I think signing OL depth detracts from the ability to address the OL in the draft. They’ve already got Smith, Moses, AVT, Simpson, Tippmann, Schweitzer, Warren, and Mitchell - all of whom should make the roster - and they’ll carry nine or ten guys.

Leaves room for one or two more. That should happen via the draft, especially when you consider that only Simpson, Tippmann, Warren, and Mitchell are signed next year - plus maybe the fifth year option for AVT. Unless the team drafts guys this year they’ll be right back to needing to devote significant resources to the OL offseason.

I kind of think same deal at WR too, FWIW. They should be able to find a WR3 via the draft who can hopefully step into the WR2 role next season.

Yes.  If we trade back and grab a second we can still get a tackle and  WR for the future 

On 3/20/2024 at 11:23 AM, BigRy56 said:

I guess Mr. Smith missed Russini’s 30+ sources or forgot about the coaches jumping off the sinking ship. GM Aaron Rodgers really sold him a bag of goods huh

She was reporting the truth.  The jets were a dysfunctional mess last season.  So far Jd is making the right moves this offseason but what happened happened 

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dollars mean everything these days.

Kansas City trades L'Jaruis Sneed to Tennessee for a 3rd rounder in 2025 and a swap of 7th rounders in 2024.

Incredibly cheap for a premium CB.

As the GM of the Colts in our JN mock, this is good news. The Colts were actively trying to get him. Glad I still have my 3rd.😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s crazy that Lazard’s contract is worth almost the same

lazard got a 4 year deal for $44 million ($11 mil per), with $22 mil guaranteed

jeudy signed a 3 year deal for $58 million ($19.3 mil per), with $41 million guaranteed

lazard stinks, but jeudy is a ridiculous contract

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s crazy that Lazard’s contract is worth almost the same

Yes, $11M/year is basically $19.3M/year, just as $22M guaranteed is pretty much equal to $41M guaranteed. Mathematically, the contracts are difficult to differentiate. 🧐

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2024 at 1:23 PM, BigRy56 said:

I guess Mr. Smith missed Russini’s 30+ sources or forgot about the coaches jumping off the sinking ship. GM Aaron Rodgers really sold him a bag of goods huh

Now that he's here though, it did kind of transform our OL (assuming he can stay healthy).  I don't know exactly what we're "building" here right now though considering our QB is on the wrong side of 40 and we don't have a successor.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Dollars mean everything these days.

Kansas City trades L'Jaruis Sneed to Tennessee for a 3rd rounder in 2025 and a swap of 7th rounders in 2024.

Incredibly cheap for a premium CB.

I guess that means a DJ Reed trade for a 2nd rounder is probably not realistic.  If we can afford him without costing us "resigning" our other young players then I'd be all for giving him a contract extension.