Sam Howell to the Seahawks

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

lol wait you wanted Howell?  Why?  He's basically the equivalent of a development QB which I guess is fine, but at that point wouldn't you rather just draft some kid in the 4th or something?  Rattler or Travis or Pratt?  

Relying on Howell to be our #2 is no different than relying on Zach.  Two guys with potential who have done nothing but lose, get sacked, and turn the ball over.  We're really sh*tting on JD for not bringing in this guy???  We were never going to go with an unproven backup. 

No I agree the ideal QB room would be :

Rodgers 

Tyrod

rookie

but knowing JD it will be: 

rodgers

tyrod

Zach

and I rather Howell  over Zach in that situation 

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

No I agree the ideal QB room would be :

Rodgers 

Tyrod

rookie

but knowing JD it will be: 

rodgers

tyrod

Zach

and I rather Howell  over Zach in that situation 

If Zach is back next year JD should be fired.  There's no way they can keep him on the roster.  So yeah 100% I would have taken Howell in Zach's place, but in all likelihood Zach will be dealt for a bag of pucks(or just cut) and we'll either draft a kid late or just roll with 2 QBs.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

This was a much better one year rental deal for a backup QB than what the Jets paid Tyrod.  Much better.  

Eh, I think that depends. Taylor is ridiculously anti-turnover. Howell throws a lot of ints. If you need a backup QB for a handul games.. I think Taylor is a safer choice for a team that should be feeding Hall to setup the pass. If you're expecting the starter to go down in 4 snaps and expecting the backup to play the rest of the season then yea, rolling the dice on Howell would be my preferred option.

• Sympathy 1

I must admit, I am surprised this is how it's turned out for Howell.  I really did think he would be the bridge starter here in DC till whomever the pick in this draft was ready, and would then transition to the backup role.

I guess either the new DC regimes evaluation of Howell was much worse than I might have though, and/or they really didn't want ANY chance of a locker room divide between Howell and the new kid inbound if the new kid hit any problems in his rookie year.

/shrug, I liked Howell, but the more I dug into his numbers and play, the less I liked what I was seeing as last year wore on.   I'm certainly not pulling another "Patrick Ramsey" here, I'm not worries we didn't acquire him, not sure he would have been any kind of right fit for us short-term or long tbh.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Howell is not good, he had a few games early but came thudding down to earth the 2nd part of the year when teams had tape.   He will be a career backup at best.

There's a bunch of $ to be made doing that. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

This was a much better one year rental deal for a backup QB than what the Jets paid Tyrod.  Much better.  

Giving up a 3 and 5 and getting back a 4 and a 6 for Howell is better than signing Tyrod and giving up nothing?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, hawk said:

I am surprised we didn't get involved.  Actually, disappointed.

They have the 2 oldest qbs now.  Everything it set up to take a young guy and have that guy start next year.  I really would not be surprised by anything they do now.  They could take mccarthy at 10, they could trade back, take a tackle and then trade back into round 1 and take nix.  

Tyrod is $8mm more than Howell.  That money could be used for LT and WR.  

JD must have big plans for this 3rd round draft pick.     Could be worth $8mm if it hits, but he has not hit many like that.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD must have big plans for this 3rd round draft pick.     Could be worth $8mm if it hits, but he has not hit many like that.  

Howell has a 1:1 TD:INT ratio, definitely not what I want in our back up QB. Tyrod by comparison is 2:1

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Howell has a 1:1 TD:INT ratio, definitely not what I want in our back up QB. Tyrod by comparison is 2:1

Howell is 22 and has some potential and could develop under Rodgers… Taylor is what he is. I think the argument for Howell is maybe he can be the guy in a year or 2 with some tutoring… Taylor, not so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:06 PM, usanyj said:

Howell is 22 and has some potential and could develop under Rodgers… Taylor is what he is. I think the argument for Howell is maybe he can be the guy in a year or 2 with some tutoring… Taylor, not so much.

I just like the high floor of Taylor with the drafting of a rookie QB. Just too high of a price for 2 years remaining on contract

On 3/14/2024 at 10:51 PM, oatmeal said:

A 3rd of 4th is not the end of the world 

one of those picks should be a QB anyway

Yea but if takin in the draft you get the 2 additional years of control, that's more important for me with Rodgwrs committing to 2+ years

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I just like the high floor of Taylor with the drafting of a rookie QB. Just too high of a price for 2 years remaining on contract

But there is no guarantee that a regime on the hot seat uses a pick on a qb whom they may not even see develop.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:59 PM, varjet said:

The pick is more valuable