JetNation 2024 Mock Draft - Discussion

I had a few UDFA lined up to select.  Then I looked at the available players list and ended up with Cole.  He has very little college production at Texas Tech or Louisiana-Monroe, but he is ridiculously long. 36+" arms and 87" wingspan.  Second longest wingspan in combine history.  He is big 272-280 and fast enough in the 4.72 range.  Watching clips, I kind of see him as a Michael Clemons type.  Play specials and contribute in a rotation.  Profiles constantly mention him being raw, so hopefully he can develop.  Have a bunch of directions to go with my last pick now as 2 of the guys I had already settled on are still on the board and likely to remain there. 

EDITED to add that I felt he was kind of like Clemons.  The kind of guy you want 1st off the bus, that won't get pushed around by anybody, even some big titted tackle from Buffalo, but not necessarily a true + athlete, not particularly sudden and not a true pass rush threat, though rush-y enough.  When I saw at least one profile list a Micheal Clemons comp it warmed me up a bit because I felt like I had a feel for him, but it might just be some other numbskull draftnik that got there on the same few clips..

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I had a few UDFA lined up to select.  Then I looked at the available players list and ended up with Cole.  He has very little college production at Texas Tech or Louisiana-Monroe, but he is ridiculously long. 36+" arms and 87" wingspan.  Second longest wingspan in combine history.  He is big 272-280 and fast enough in the 4.72 range.  Watching clips, I kind of see him as a Michael Clemons type.  Play specials and contribute in a rotation.  Profiles constantly mention him being raw, so hopefully he can develop.  Have a bunch of directions to go with my last pick now as 2 of the guys I had already settled on are still on the board and likely to remain there. 

EDITED to add that I felt he was kind of like Clemons.  The kind of guy you want 1st off the bus, that won't get pushed around by anybody, even some big titted tackle from Buffalo, but not necessarily a true + athlete, not particularly sudden and not a true pass rush threat, though rush-y enough.  When I saw at least one profile list a Micheal Clemons comp it warmed me up a bit because I felt like I had a feel for him, but it might just be some other numbskull draftnik that got there on the same few clips..

I thought about taking him because of the stuff you mentioned, but there was just nothing in the way of production despite being in college for six years and starting for just one. Brugler’s write up makes him sound a lot like Clemons—big stiff with some intriguing physical tools.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Somewhere Adam Gase is smiling Frank Gore jr just got picked.

Edit: I just looked at Adam Gases wiki page.  Still no job in football at any level.  

Why has @T0mShane forsaken him!

UHHHHHH ADAM GASE IS ADVISING ANTONIO PIERCE AND THE RAIDERS

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

UHHHHHH ADAM GASE IS ADVISING ANTONIO PIERCE AND THE RAIDERS

First thing I done as Raiders GM was move Gase from assistant to car park attendant. Bloody car park is a mess now though! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought about taking him because of the stuff you mentioned, but there was just nothing in the way of production despite being in college for six years and starting for just one. Brugler’s write up makes him sound a lot like Clemons—big stiff with some intriguing physical tools.

It depends how you look at these late rounders.  Do you look for a lottery ticket?  Some guy with a bunch of tools and some weird backstory about why nobody knows who he is?  Do you just take the best player?  I tend to look for lottery tickets down here because the guys that are rated highest usually have some defect.  Too small.  Too slow.  No change of direction.  For that reason I usually go for the lottery picks.  Two biggest reasons to find guys with some chance are injury history and small school background.  The one thing I do keep overlooking is age.  Cole does not feel like a lottery ticket, but he also does not seem like a zero that will washout immediately and he did slowly improve over time.  Late 6th for special teams and rotation feels like a bargain, especially when he probably has as much chance to actually hit as the lottery tickets I was going to pick.

Does @Integrity28 usually take the Colts?  For some reason I felt like that was his team and had to correct it to the Vikings.  Seems like a strange thing to remember, but who knows what lurks in the pockets of my brain? 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Does @Integrity28 usually take the Colts?  For some reason I felt like that was his team and had to correct it to the Vikings.  Seems like a strange thing to remember, but who knows what lurks in the pockets of my brain? 

Yes, I was too late this year. Wife is a Colts fan.

• Upvote 1

Cleveland Browns' 2024 JN Draft Class

2  Malachi Corley, WR Western Kentucky

3  Jeremiah Trotter Jr, LB Clemson

5  Tyrone Tracy Jr, RB Purdue

6  Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, WR Georgia

7  Austin Reed, QB Western Kentucky

Even considering the paucity of draft choices -- and despite not owning a 1st round draft choice -- and a talented roster without a ton of "needs", I can't honestly say I'm happy with this draft.

WRs flew off the board fast and furious.  Corley is probably a reach, but clock was ticking on my selection...

I considered Kris Jenkins Jr. in rd 2 as well as one of the RBs.  But Brooks is recovering from midseason ACL tear and Benson, while I like him, suffered a horrific knee injury in college as severe as the gruesome one Nick Chubb suffered last September.

I tried to marry talent, value, and need, but it doesn't always work out.

Most of all, I tried to have fun with this exercise.

Thanks mods for letting me participate! 🙂

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The Bills are done. If the draft sucks I’d have a pretty good 4 x 100 relay team lol. 

WR - Troy Franklin 4.41

DT - Kris Jenkins

S - Cole Bishop 4.45

OG - Sataoa Laumea

S- Tykee Smith 4.46

WR - Jha'Quan Jackson 4.42

LB/ST - Marist Liufau 4.56

RB - Kendall Milton 

OC - Matt Lee

Like Franklin and Liufau mauler from Notre Dame. I am always wrong with DL, so if I praise Jenkins, he will suck.

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The Bills are done. If the draft sucks I’d have a pretty good 4 x 100 relay team lol. 

WR - Troy Franklin 4.41

DT - Kris Jenkins

S - Cole Bishop 4.45

OG - Sataoa Laumea

S- Tykee Smith 4.46

WR - Jha'Quan Jackson 4.42

LB/ST - Marist Liufau 4.56

RB - Kendall Milton 

OC - Matt Lee

Good draft.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GreenFish said:

That wraps up the Houston Texans draft. Fun stuff. Really appreciate the work y'all put into this.

Here's my draft with some commentary:

2.24. Roman Wilson WR Michigan - After listening to fans, coaches, and Nick Caserio, it was pretty clear that the Texans wanted to address the WR position with premium capital. Nick Caserio said in an interview the number 1 trait he looks for in a WR is his ability to create separation. So, I had three guys in mind with pick 42. Wilson was the only one left. Some view him as a slot guy. But I think his long speed will allow him to play off the line on the outside. A good comp for him is Tyler Lockett on the high end and Elijah Moore on the medium end.

Note: The Diggs trade occurred after I made this pick. Had I known about Diggs, I think TJ Tampa CB would have been a great fit for their defensive scheme

2.55. Jonathan Brooks RB - The coaching staff wants to have a strong running game and some fans are hoping they draft Brooks. So, I jumped a few spots to get him. Because of his ACL injury, we may not see the best of him until 2025, but Brooks secures a strong run game for CJ Stroud during his rookie contract.

Building up the trenches. The coaching staff talks a lot about being strong up front. So, I spent some resources on both lines

3.91. Adisa Isaac Edge Penn State - With Anderson, Hunter, and Barnett, this is a luxury pick. But when your defense is built around the pass rush, you can't have enough

4.126. DeWayne Carter DL Duke

4.127. Christian Jones OT Texas

Adding some competition to the DB room.

7.238. Myles Harden CB South Dakota

7.239. Willie Drew CB Virginia State

7.247 Tyler Owens S Texas Tech

If you had taken TJ Tampa, who I took 3 picks later for the Colts, that would have caused a bit of a dilemma in our war room. Our two top picks at that position were taken right before us  in rd1. We took Brian Thomas who was the highest guy for us there. Tampa was our 3rd rated CB. If he was gone, either would have gone Friske or trade down. 

• Upvote 1

That's a wrap for the Chargers. Probably best team in the AFC now. 

• WR M Nabers
  • OG C Beebe
  • RB B Corum
  • CB DJ James
  • DT M Wingo
  • DE N Ceaser
  • WR R Flournoy
  • CB/S Ro Torrence
  • QB Michael Hiers

Datta Phuge, Pune businessman who became famous for gold shirt, murdered |  India News - The Indian Express

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

That's a wrap for the Falcons.  Thank you to the admins for all of the work you guys put into this.

8 1 8 1400 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Dallas Turner EDGE Alabama
43 2 11 470 ATL Falcons WhartonJet T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas
74 3 10 220 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Jermaine Burton WR Alabama
79 3 15 195 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Khyree Jackson CB Oregon
109 4 9 76 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Michael Pratt QB Tulane
132 4 32 40 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Brandon Coleman OT TCU
187 6 11 16.6 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Jaylon Carlies S Missouri
211 6 35 7 ATL Falcons WhartonJet Joshua Karty PK Stanford

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

sorry for not linking anyone I literally didn't see the spreadsheet until yesterday and wow that would have made things alot easier 

my bad

Come back next year and pay attention from the start.  It's not that hard.  You know most of the players anyway.

• Upvote 2

• Lith unpinned this topic