"Deseret News": Why no takers -- at least yet -- for Zach Wilson

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think we can plant him on the PS.  He has to be cut and signed.  

The Jets, Team Zach and the NFL are all playing chicken here.  The Jets want Zach to cut his salary and find a team to take him.  Zach wants freedom and to make $5.4mm.  The rest of the NFL sees Zach and the QBs coming out in the draft and thinks about who they can add for the cheapest draft pick and money cost to a practice squad.  

Josh Rosen and Hack lingered on practice squads for years.   The market in these situations is to cut the QB and let go.  Woody likes to cling to his investments.   The fact that Zach was shipping his stuff home DURING the season last year is outrageous.   His listed his house for sale but is still lingering around.  

Part of me wants to hold onto him and squeeze something out, but the right answer is to cut him and move on. 

Part of me wants to hold onto him and squeeze something out, but the right answer is to cut him and move on. 

Considering the injury risks for both AR8 and TT and the fact that we're probably not going to be able to trade ZW, I would love it if we held on to him.  Giving him an actual OL with actual weapinzz and I still think we'd see a much more productive ZW.  (Hold the snide jokes, everyone)..

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Considering the injury risks for both AR8 and TT and the fact that we're probably not going to be able to trade ZW, I would love it if we held on to him.  Giving him an actual OL with actual weapinzz and I still think we'd see a much more productive ZW.  (Hold the snide jokes, everyone)..

Delete 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets, Team Zach and the NFL are all playing chicken here.  The Jets want Zach to cut his salary and find a team to take him.  Zach wants freedom and to make $5.4mm.  The rest of the NFL sees Zach and the QBs coming out in the draft and thinks about who they can add for the cheapest draft pick and money cost to a practice squad.  

Josh Rosen and Hack lingered on practice squads for years.   The market in these situations is to cut the QB and let go.  Woody likes to cling to his investments.   The fact that Zach was shipping his stuff home DURING the season last year is outrageous.   His listed his house for sale but is still lingering around.  

Why I brought him the Utah stuff. Like dude do you even want to be here? His family did him no favors here either. Let your kids be grown ups.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In all seriousness, if the season went so poorly that Zach Wilson had to play, what kind of reception do you think he would get at MetLife? It would be so cruel and Zach is baby sh*t soft. I can't see that ever playing out. There is absolutely no chance he would ever be allowed to start a game if he was retained. But he's not being retained. I can guarantee that.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh yeah all it will take is a 4th year for him to really explode 

5 hours ago, ScouserJet said:

This; some side one way or another are losing a dude, he's a lottery ticket at this stage, just with a huge Salary.

Can't see a scenario where we don't eat at least 50% of it, but our fault for maintaining hope he may "cut" it.

Actually, our fault for drafting him and giving him $24m signing bonus. From that moment on, his contract was ours to eat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

You could be right about planting Zack on the PS. I know the rules differ depending on how long the player's been in the league.

Your last sentence, I think, is how 90% of us feel, especially the first half of the sentence "hold onto him and squeeze something out". A significant % of the fan base has not moved on from Zack, and they like the option of holding onto to him, with the excuse "just to see what good trade we might get". They know the longer we hold onto him, the better the chances of him somehow sticking.

But yes, right answer is to out right cut him and eat his cap. That's best for the team, locker-room, QB room, etc. How long does JoeD hold out b4 cutting him? Is there a 'right time'?

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

5?

Yea, something like that 

2021 - TB, Tennessee 

2022 - Miami, maybe Pitt (bad statistically but led the 4th quarter comeback) 

2023 - KC, Houston 

so 5ish

nowhere near enough! 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't you say they'd get a 4th rounder or something like that for Zach? 

The dude has no trade value because he is not an NFL qb 

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Which is why you have to wonder why he’s still on the roster. The Jets should draft a QB this April considering their 1-2 combine to be the oldest in the league. Why is Wilson still on the roster? It won’t end.

Because it makes 0 difference when they either trade or cut him.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I never had any confidence in ZW.

But the moment I saw a guy unable to complete a screen pass or quick slant — bounce passes and errant missiles 2 yards outside the WR’s frame — was when it became obvious this kid doesn’t have it.

These plays have nothing to do with the OL or any lack of “weapons”.

You cannot consistently move the chains or run an offense with a guy who struggles so badly to execute basic plays from the pocket.

Must have been a breath of fresh air for Saleh when Zach walked into his office and asked to be traded.

There is no indication Saleh tried to talk him out of it, but rather that he let ZW know they would accommodate his request in the offseason.

Saleh was just waiting for a justification to move on, and ZW gave it to him.

It will be like a breath of fresh air when he is somebody else’s problem.

The way this all played out also gives me a higher level of respect for Todd Bowles.

Bowles refused to put Hindenberg on the field despite media questioning and fan pressure to see the 2nd rounder in action.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because it makes 0 difference when they either trade or cut him.

The Broncos just took on the largest dead cap 🧢 hit in NFL history (85M?) to move on from Russ, who is a million times better than ZW.

It would help with the cap if they trade Kapono because they could get his salary off the books.  The signing bonus portion they are stuck with either way.

Eventually Joe Douglas will be forced into the same conclusion Payton and the Broncos arrived at:  the player is untradeable.

Sean Payton isn’t a moron.

Soemtimes you have to just take your medicine and move on. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Broncos just took on the largest dead cap 🧢 hit in NFL history (85M?) to move on from Russ, who is a million times better than ZW.

It would help with the cap if they trade him because they could get his salary off the books.  The signing bonus portion they are stuck with either way.

Hence the strings attached theory

• Haha 1

I don't really see Zach as a practice squad player although if Jets release him and another team just has to pay minimum league salary or a PS salary and aren't afraid of losing him if another team signs him to their active roster that could be his future in 2024. But if Jets hang onto him and expected injuries in training camp or regular season he could potentially play on a team this coming season. Or if Jets release him and he looks good in training camp and exhibition games they could just activate him right away. But I don't see the Jets holding onto him it would be too awkward and reportedly they promised him a trade etc. 

38 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It would help with the cap if they trade Kapono because they could get his salary off the books.  The signing bonus portion they are stuck with either way.

Eventually Joe Douglas will be forced into the same conclusion Payton and the Broncos arrived at:  the player is untradeable.

So?  How does RW change things here?  Is Zach getting in the way of signing FAs?  Does it make a difference right now if he’s on the books or off?   Two situations couldn’t be further removed from each other than RW and what he’s owed and ZW

Eventually they will move on.  You don’t know if there’s anyone interested or not.  So we have no idea whether he should be held onto for the moment.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So?  How does RW change things here?  Is Zach getting in the way of signing FAs?  Does it make a difference right now if he’s on the books or off?   Two situations couldn’t be further removed from each other than RW and what he’s owed and ZW

Eventually they will move on.  You don’t know if there’s anyone interested or not.  So we have no idea whether he should be held onto for the moment.  

I mean 5.5 mil would pay for a starting safety or that swing OT 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I get that but as soon as they negotiate with one and are ready to sign one of them they can dump ZW.  

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They only get (any of) that money back if someone trades for Zach. If they cut him, they still owe him that amount in full. Which is why there’s no need to rush to cut him, as long as he’s eventually off the team. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, slats said:

They only get (any of) that money back if someone trades for Zach. If they cut him, they still owe him that amount in full. Which is why there’s no need to rush to cut him, as long as he’s eventually off the team. 

@Jet Nut question was "is ZW preventing the Jets from signing FA?" and the answer is yeah.

It's because of the original decision to draft him but still.

best case he's traded, worst case he stays or gets cut but either way he's holding back the franchise 

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that but as soon as they negotiate with one and are ready to sign one of them they can dump ZW.  

The Jets gain no relief from cutting ZW 

He's gonna have to be traded and that requires another team to want him 

Which no one does 

So they can't really dump him on command 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets gain no relief from cutting ZW 

He's gonna have to be traded and that requires another team to want him 

Which no one does 

So they can't really dump him on command 

Since no team wants to trade for him I don’t see the purpose of letting this linger, but alas. Zach lives on.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

He's on a full scholarship that's 4 years 

If they actually keep on the roster, there's a nonzero chance he'd see meaningful snaps in 2024.

AR8 is coming off an Achilles rip.  He's 40.

Tyrod is an injury waiting to happen.  Not exactly the best insurance policy.

If the Jets want any hope of retaining guys like GW, Sauce, JJ, or ring-chasing FAs like Tyron Smith and Mike Williams, they cannot allow Zach Wilson to ever see the field again in a Jets uniform.

The last 3 years have been enough torture.

Last season took a toll on GW mentally, pschologically.

No player can be bigger than the team.

Just freaking move on already.

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If they actually keep on the roster, there's a nonzero chance he'd see meaningful snaps in 2024.

If the Jets want any hope of retaining guys like GW, Sauce, JJ, or ring-chasing FAs like Tyron Smith and Mike Williams, they cannot allow Zach Wilson to ever see the field again in a Jets uniform.

The last 3 years have been enough torture.

Last season took a toll on GW mentally, pschologically.

No player can be bigger than the team.

Just freaking move on already.

I think we're stressing out over nothing.  He won't be on the team.  Smart play right now is hold onto him as long as you can hoping for a trade partner to materialize in order to recoup at least something. 

Even though no team has stepped forward yet, injuries do happen in the offseason, the draft may not turn out as desired for some teams, and who knows what else might occur to cause a team to want to make a trade.  Looks like a long shot for sure, and if that fails, he will  be cut., end of story.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Didn't you say they'd get a 4th rounder or something like that for Zach? 

The dude has no trade value because he is not an NFL qb 

I think its more likely his trade value (which was admittedly small) got submarined by the owner.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't really see Zach as a practice squad player although if Jets release him and another team just has to pay minimum league salary or a PS salary and aren't afraid of losing him if another team signs him to their active roster that could be his future in 2024. But if Jets hang onto him and expected injuries in training camp or regular season he could potentially play on a team this coming season. Or if Jets release him and he looks good in training camp and exhibition games they could just activate him right away. But I don't see the Jets holding onto him it would be too awkward and reportedly they promised him a trade etc. 

I don't think it's possible to overestimate the drop in team morale when you go, in a millisecond, from Aaron Rodgers to your fate resting on the arm and brain of Zach Wilson.

Garrett Wilson would probably punch him in the face IK Enkempali style if Zach Wilson ever takes the field again in a Jet uniform.

Tyron and Mike Williams might quit like Hardman did.

I think it's an untenable situation keeping him on the squad, but I guess Joe Douglas knows better...