"Deseret News": Why no takers -- at least yet -- for Zach Wilson

5 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

And dont they need space for the rookies?

They do indeed.

But I think most media reporting on the Cap factors that in (since it's calculable thanks to the rookie wage scale slots) as already encumbered cap space. 

Not really sure tbh.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah. My bad on the number. I think with the Williams signing the roster is as filled out as it’s going to get pre draft. Extra cap space is negligible right now. Holding out for a 7th is just wasting time/resources. A clean break seems like a win/win. There’s no way Woody is sweating 5 million bucks considering the spending spree. 

The Jets cap situation is identical whether Zach is on the roster right now or Douglas cuts him as I’m typing. It’s not a waste of anything to hold onto him thru the draft. However negligible you may think it might be, it’d still be better to get a 2026 conditional 7th rounder if it means saving some of that money. 

He needs to be gone -either way- by the springtime OTAs, though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Sports are tribal. The Zach Wilson tribe obviously blames the Jets for how Zach's career has played out thus far. I'd probably feel the same way if I was some BYU fan but I've also seen Mike White and Joe Flacco lead the league in passing with the same team... So, yeah.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The fuggin balls on these people 

That article is word salad. 

I wouldn't go too hard on the Desert News.

Trying to create a market for the valueless is God's work.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets cap situation is identical whether Zach is on the roster or Douglas cuts him as I’m typing. It’s not a waste of anything to hold onto him thru the draft. However negligible you may think it might be, it’d still be better to get a 2026 conditional 7th rounder if it means saving some of that money. 

He needs to be gone -either way- by the springtime OTAs, though. 

You never know, some team may watch his teaser good games and might flip a late future pick for him. My fingers are crossed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wilson’s situation is greatly complicated by his contract. He is owed the final year of his rookie deal, a guaranteed $5.4 million, a high price tag for a backup role. The Jets would likely have to agree to pay much of that money to convince a team to agree to a trade (and probably have to throw in a draft pick as a sweetener). Wilson also will cost his new team an $11 million salary cap hit, nearly $8 million more than Jones and Fields.

that article was definitely TL;DR so i can't really comment on it.  long-story short, zach stinks and most teams don't want to pay $5.4MM for a QB who stinks and who is in the last year of his contract.

the above part from the article is confusing...and WRONG

yes, he has an ~$1MM base salary and a ~$4.4MM guaranteed roster bonus.  so that's the $5.4MM

but his new team does not incur an $11MM cap hit if (hypothetically) they traded for him.  they would have a $5.4MM cap hit.  the rest of the cap hit only applies to the jets ($5.7MM) from his original signing bonus.

so to a new team - $5.4MM cap hit (or less if the jets eat some money)

to the jets - $11.2MM cap hit, reduced if another team actually takes him off the jets hands by $5.4MM (or less if the jets eat some of the money)

so the jets are either giving up a draft pick to get someone to eat his salary (and preserve some cap space) or buying a draft pick by picking up some, or all, of zach's money.  cutting him now means $11.2MM of dead cap space.  makes sense to see if they can do better

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sports are tribal. The Zach Wilson tribe obviously blames the Jets for how Zach's career has played out thus far. I'd probably feel the same way if I was some BYU fan but I've also seen Mike White and Joe Flacco lead the league in passing with the same team... So, yeah.

Whatever the exact cause / reason, the "Deseret News" has been a mouthpiece for exculpating ZW and attempting to burnish his rep, and by extension trashing the Jets, since day 1.

It's a weird kind of tribalism / regionalism that triggers an arbitrary writer / outpost to feel the need to defend Zach Wilson to the death.

It's almost as if the "Deseret News" and its feelings towards ZW are propietary in nature.  As if they are somehow directly invested in his success or failure.

Bizarre.

Would be like Denzel Mims' hometown Texas paper continually ripping the Jets and blaming them for Mims' failures.

Maybe ZW's uncle lowkey owns the paper.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Larz said:

Everything going on and the “haters” still obsessed.  

Everything going on, and you're here still obsessed and worried about "Zach Haters", lol.

60240849-11011515-Braxton_Berrios_is_see

Zach will never truly hug you back Larz.....

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"Addition by Subtraction"

"Negative Retention"

"Sunk Cost fallacy"

These are the phrases that come to mind now whenever that kid is brought up here now. Cut him. Now. Get the stink out of the building and walk away clean. Eat the money, it's less important than the distraction and bad vibes. Worried about the $$? See above.

Sayonara.

**** the vibes ...i say keep him now.  make him stay in NJ away from his mommy.  let him ride out his time as inactive every game.

move his locker over by where all the practice squad players are and use him as tackling dummy.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Blames the Jets for everything. I’m sure that’s part of it but ZW isn’t good and that’s the bigger issue. He's mentally weak and refused to play football because he didn’t want to get hurt. 

There’s a chance he gets traded draft day or once QB’s start getting hurt in the preseason.

Cutting him saves no money and we could use the $5 mill savings if he’s traded. The Rams should take a flier on him.

Zach's "offensive line":

ZachagainsttheDolphinspassrush.Notascreen.jpg.e706c07ea11d3bae5745ab1ca5ee6ae2.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 3

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

The article TLDR:  Wilson is an innocent victim, it's all the Jets and everyone else's fault.  Poor Zachy-poo is being treated unfairly.  Echoes what the Zach True-Believers here say pretty regularly.

There, I saved you a very boring read.

Thank you...what a bunch of BS. The worst satictical QB in the league for the last three years...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Zach's "offensive line":

ZachagainsttheDolphinspassrush.Notascreen.jpg.e706c07ea11d3bae5745ab1ca5ee6ae2.jpg

Must have been a screen play called through the headset 🤣

Zach audibles to a “hold the ball for 10 seconds” and dash towards the sideline, his staple play, but forgets to let the rest of the offense know

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Ehhh just plant his ass on the practice squad. Some team will lose their QB (or two) during TC and come calling.

I guess if worse comes to worse, ZW will be QB3. Not too many teams carry a QB3 with 3 years of starting experience! May be a first

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Ehhh just plant his ass on the practice squad. Some team will lose their QB (or two) during TC and come calling.

I guess if worse comes to worse, ZW will be QB3. Not too many teams carry a QB3 with 3 years of starting experience! May be a first

This; some side one way or another are losing a dude, he's a lottery ticket at this stage, just with a huge Salary.

Can't see a scenario where we don't eat at least 50% of it, but our fault for maintaining hope he may "cut" it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I don’t think we can plant him on the PS.  He has to be cut and signed.  

The Jets, Team Zach and the NFL are all playing chicken here.  The Jets want Zach to cut his salary and find a team to take him.  Zach wants freedom and to make $5.4mm.  The rest of the NFL sees Zach and the QBs coming out in the draft and thinks about who they can add for the cheapest draft pick and money cost to a practice squad.  

Josh Rosen and Hack lingered on practice squads for years.   The market in these situations is to cut the QB and let go.  Woody likes to cling to his investments.   The fact that Zach was shipping his stuff home DURING the season last year is outrageous.   His listed his house for sale but is still lingering around.  

Part of me wants to hold onto him and squeeze something out, but the right answer is to cut him and move on. 

• Upvote 1