"Deseret News": Why no takers -- at least yet -- for Zach Wilson

44 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think its more likely his trade value (which was admittedly small) got submarined by the owner.

If Woody said absolutely nothing and we went and signed Tyrod Taylor, do you think Wilson would have more trade value than what he currently has (zero)? Come on. Maybe Woody should have talked him saying he's going to be the best practice squad player in the league.

31 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

If Woody said absolutely nothing and we went and signed Tyrod Taylor, do you think Wilson would have more trade value than what he currently has (zero)? Come on. Maybe Woody should have talked him saying he's going to be the best practice squad player in the league.

I think there would absolutely be a bit more ... Woody essentially told the rest of the league .. hold your horses .. we are cutting this kid so no need to give ANYTHING up.

Edited by Dunnie

40 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think there would absolutely be a bit more ... Woody essentially told the rest of the league .. hold your horses .. we are cutting this kid so no need to give ANYTHING up.

What message did signing Tyrod Taylor send to the rest of the league? Or the report that the Jets allowed him to seek a trade. Does that scream "Hey we'd love to have Zach Wilson as our #3/practice squad QB?

There are two reasons why Wilson has no trade value:

1. His salary/cap hit

2. He sucks.

If blaming Woody makes you feel better, have at it but the Jets have given every indication that they want no part of Slappy and it didn't take Johnson's comments to make Wilson untradable.

• Upvote 1

The smart GM swings a trade for him now because once the Jets cut him, 31 other teams will be tripping over their dicks to try and sign him 😅 It will be chaos as they all scramble to secure the rights to Slappy Wilson.

• Haha 1

What message did signing Tyrod Taylor send to the rest of the league? Or the report that the Jets allowed him to seek a trade. Does that scream "Hey we'd love to have Zach Wilson as our #3/practice squad QB?
There are two reasons why Wilson has no trade value:
1. His salary/cap hit
2. He sucks.
If blaming Woody makes you feel better, have at it but the Jets have given every indication that they want no part of Slappy and it didn't take Johnson's comments to make Wilson untradable.
Saying "we didn't have a backup QB last year" telegraphed he would be released .. plain and simple.

So any hopes of any sort of trade capital coming back evaporated ... Prior to that I think the team could have gotten at least a 6th.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Saying "we didn't have a backup QB last year" telegraphed he would be released .. plain and simple.

So any hopes of any sort of trade capital coming back evaporated ... Prior to that I think the team could have gotten at least a 6th.

Who was giving up a 6th and taking on 5.4 million in salary and cap charges for Zach Wilson?? Especially when the Jets replaced him as the #2? Can't you just accept that he's a terrible football player with a terrible guaranteed salary? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Zack Wilson might be literally out of football before the end of his rookie contract. How the current FO survived this abomination is beyond me. Sorry. Gotta get my daily JD bash in.  Gonna be busy later.

They survive because Aaron Rodgers is going to lead them to the AFCCG! 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

They survive because Aaron Rodgers is going to lead them to the AFCCG! 

I really want to believe this but my Jets Nihilism Syndrome prevents me from seeing the football world thru anything but a negative and disappointing lens. Damn you, Woody!

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets gain no relief from cutting ZW 

He's gonna have to be traded and that requires another team to want him 

Which no one does 

So they can't really dump him on command 

I get it, that’s why I replied to the post just wanting to dump him and should have dumped him weeks or months ago.  

Thanks but this needs to be explained to Matt.  😅

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

Didn't you say they'd get a 4th rounder or something like that for Zach? 

The dude has no trade value because he is not an NFL qb 

I think it's his contract that's the problem.  Too much money and only 1 year left.  If he was a UFA I think teams would be interested.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it's his contract that's the problem.  Too much money and only 1 year left.  If he was a UFA I think teams would be interested.

If he had any real potential teams would have overlooked the price 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I never had any confidence in ZW.

But the moment I saw a guy unable to complete a screen pass or quick slant — bounce passes and errant missiles 2 yards outside the WR’s frame — was when it became obvious this kid doesn’t have it.

These plays have nothing to do with the OL or any lack of “weapons”.

You cannot consistently move the chains or run an offense with a guy who struggles so badly to execute basic plays from the pocket.

That was ZW years 1 and 2.   ZW year 3 was a lot better (at least, imo).  I think even the biggest ZW hater would admit he cleaned up his accuracy in those areas greatly year 3.  Btw, I realize that should be a no-brainer for an NFL QB to complete those passes.  But I think ZW improved a lot overall in year 3.  The WRs (other than GW) and OL had to be among the worst in the NFL last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, bicketybam said:

In all seriousness, if the season went so poorly that Zach Wilson had to play, what kind of reception do you think he would get at MetLife? It would be so cruel and Zach is baby sh*t soft. I can't see that ever playing out. There is absolutely no chance he would ever be allowed to start a game if he was retained. But he's not being retained. I can guarantee that.

In all seriousness, if the season went so poorly that Zach Wilson had to play, what kind of reception do you think he would get at MetLife?

He'd get a brutal reception.

It would be so cruel and Zach is baby sh*t soft.

This I disagree on.

he's not being retained. I can guarantee that.

Agreed.

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If he had any real potential teams would have overlooked the price 

He's on a 1 year deal at a lot of money for a guy that will likely be a QB2 at best next year.  What would be the point of investing the time to rebuild him when, if he has a good year, the team could just lose him in a FA bidding war. 

not that i gf but doesnt the below part of that article validate that story in Atlantic that AR got mad about?

When Wilson’s replacements failed to deliver in the next two games, the Jets asked Wilson to start the final five games. Wilson, who had already begun packing his things and mailing them to the family home in Draper, Utah, was reluctant to step back into the lineup for a 4-8 team that planned to trade him. He was roundly criticized for this in the media, but reporters didn’t know at the time that he had been told he would be traded. An injury — a distinct possibility, given the Jets’ porous offensive line — could complicate a potential trade. Wilson called several confidants to discuss it.

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Was Deseret part of TLC? 

I wish I understood your joke (because it seems like it's probably very funny) but I don't.  I looked up their names and I don't see any like Deseret.

Side note: Wesley Walker could've been called Wesley "Right Eye" Walker.  (blind in his left)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLC_(group)

TLC is an American girl group formed in 1990 in Atlanta, Georgia. The group's best-known line-up was composed of Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That or an NFL caliber group of OL and WR?

Zach had plenty of that.  He had a better supporting cast than most # 2 overall picked QBs could ask for.  This wasn’t Darnold circa 2020 dude.  And even he sucked with the Niners, so….

So I think if the Jets waited until after June 1 to cut or trade Zach they could spread his cap hit over 2 years. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the case does Zach participate in any kind of team practice or activity or do they just tell him to sit and wait until June. 

Zach had plenty of that.  He had a better supporting cast than most # 2 overall picked QBs could ask for.  This wasn’t Darnold circa 2020 dude.  And even he sucked with the Niners, so….
Fake News... Zach had ass...

Worst OLine the history of football... 1 WR , 1RB, 1 decent TE ... ... ...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Jets will hang onto him until the latest possible moment hoping someone trades for him and then cut him.

I hate this regime and even I don't think they'd be dumb enough to keep him on the roster next season.

They'll probably try to get something done at the draft but nothing will happen.

A team will definitely take a flyer on him on a min. Contract to be QB3 once released.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's on a 1 year deal at a lot of money for a guy that will likely be a QB2 at best next year.  What would be the point of investing the time to rebuild him when, if he has a good year, the team could just lose him in a FA bidding war. 

We live in a world where 4 qbs are going to go top 6...it's the same scarcity that got Zach up to 2 in the first place 

Yes his contact sucks but teams need qbs bad 

Fwiw Zach did improve you're right. The problem is that he still can't read defenses either before the snap or in real time 

It's fixable in the sense that Geno was fixible. It only takes a qb guru and 6 seasons holding a clipboard 

• Haha 1