Is it time to bring Becton back?

He stinks.  The league figured out he can't handle a speed rush, and defensive coordinators exploit it week in and week out.

It was what it is.  Longevity for Becton was always a long shot.  And to think JD had a blue chip sure thing prospect in Wirfs sitting right there for him.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sam Darnold was still the Jets QB the last time Becton showed any promise.

Who cares about 4 years ago?

The dude has screwed up his knee twice and looked like trash since then.

Close the book on him and move on

You're at the dumpster diving stage at this point of FA anyway.  If you can get Becton to go for a 1 year low cost "show me" deal to back up Smith and Moses, I say why not?  He's got more upside than most if not all of the alternatives and maybe another year of maturity/humbling helps fix his mindset.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Forgetting about the optics of the situation, consider his skills.

Watching him at LT last year, to my eyes, it looked like he had clear *physical* problems contending with outside pass rushers.  That is pretty much the most important thing a LT has to do.  Becton could not physically do it.  It is not his technique work ethic.  He no longer has the lateral quickness to do the job.  If you keep him as a depth piece, it is still potentially disastrous.  One whiffed block is all it takes to end a season for the QB and the team.  I would only be in line on keeping him if it became an experiment on trying him on the inside,  A few times I mentioned two major busts at the LT spot.  Robert Gallery and the infamous Tony Maderich.  Both of them were supposed to be the next HOF LT.  Both were built like LT's.  Long and powerful like Becton. Neither of them had the feet for it.  Manderich also had other issues, but his primary problem was physical limitations below the waist,  Both Manderich and Gallery were moved inside and both wound up being marginal contributors.

Becton is super long like a LT, but so was Gallery.  To look at them both, you would never think that they should be in the inside.  Regardless, I think Becton's best change to stay on a roster is to transition to OG.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You beat me to it.

I agree he needs to be moved to a guard position.

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

You're at the dumpster diving stage at this point of FA anyway.  If you can get Becton to go for a 1 year low cost "show me" deal to back up Smith and Moses, I say why not?  He's got more upside than most if not all of the alternatives and maybe another year of maturity/humbling helps fix his mindset.

If you’re going to go after an injury prone, cheap depth piece on the OL, why not go after one who is actually good like Bakhtiari?

Hell, if Becton has to see the field and is just going to lead the league in penalties and sacks allowed while generally looking like a turnstile, how could Carter Warren be worse?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

Becton is probably at the one year, prove it deal point. I can’t see the money being too rich. I know I’m in the minority, but I’d have no problem with him back to compete for the RT spot and/or as the swing tackle. That would probably remove OT from first round consideration this year, and I wouldn’t mind that either. 

they're apparently going to more of a gap blocking offensive scheme so this might fit becton's talents better.  i thhink he like going out and pancaking defensive people.

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

We saw talent in his rookie year. I'd be okay with seeing how he plays with Rodgers under center.  

4 years and almost $20 mill in game checks cashed can change a persons mindset. His biggest issue is his dedication. Him consistently being over weight, out of shape, and not prepared should really say what kind of player he has been since entering the league. He never appeared to take the job seriously, and never appeared to want to put in the work to get his body in peak shape to handle the stress an NFL linemen has to endure. He has the build, he has the talent, but from everything we have seen, he doesn't have the desire to do all the other stuff to be a legitimate starter in this league. Maybe he'll mature and wake up and start putting in the work, maybe he wont, but the jets shouldn't be the team to find out.

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

I've been wondering if Mitchell might be better tried as an OG.

He’s got no anchor and would probably be bull rushed back into the QB on a consistent basis.

The Jets seem like they are moving to a power gap system away from outside zone.

Guys like Simpson, Moses and Smith all have great anchors.  

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

He’s got no anchor and would probably be bull rushed back into the QB on a consistent basis.

The Jets seem like they are moving to a power gap aystem away from outside zone.

Guys like Simpson, Moses and Smith all have great anchors.  

Agree fully with the change in blocking scheme. I like the outside zone blocking scheme when it works, but... What they have on the roster is better suited to a more aggressive man blocking scheme with less motion.  And we all know Rodgers does not like motion.  Along with the players you mentioned, Wess Schweitzer also looked like a real power-gap mauler when he was in there.  He is a gritty player.  I think he may even wind up as a starter eventually. 

It does look like Becton might have a problem getting set and fixed on the inside, but we never saw him try. You never know.  Like I mentioned above.  An onlooker would never have envisioned Robert Gallery or Manderich on the inside, but that is where they played decent football. 

It will be interesting to see if the Jets or perhaps his next team gives it a try. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I don't hate it on a one year deal.  I guess it comes down to whether you prefer Becton or Max Mitchell as the backup RT.  Becton can swing to LT as well and I'm not sure if Mitchell is ever going to be good enough to warrant his spot.  Maybe...

If those are the two choices, ok yeah Becton is better (seeing how Mitchell isn't even a lock to make the roster anyway). I don't think those are the only two choices for the season. We're still in March, and I'd find it hard to believe that they'll head into day 3 without drafting a tackle prospect.

Beyond that, there are still veterans (like Becton) who are going to wait it out until after the draft, rather than accept a backup role this early, to hopefully appeal to a team that didn't land the tackle(s) desired in the draft. They won't all find chairs when the music stops, though, and there'll be others available. No rush to lock into Becton for more millions.

At least Douglas didn't compound his initial Becton error by exercising his 5th year option like plenty here wanted him to do.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If you’re going to go after an injury prone, cheap depth piece on the OL, why not go after one who is actually good like Bakhtiari?

Hell, if Becton has to see the field and is just going to lead the league in penalties and sacks allowed while generally looking like a turnstile, how could Carter Warren be worse?

I honestly don't think you can sign Bakhtiari anywhere close to being cheap.  If that is the case, then I 100% agree with you.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, extmenace said:

4 years and almost $20 mill in game checks cashed can change a persons mindset. His biggest issue is his dedication. Him consistently being over weight, out of shape, and not prepared should really say what kind of player he has been since entering the league. He never appeared to take the job seriously, and never appeared to want to put in the work to get his body in peak shape to handle the stress an NFL linemen has to endure. He has the build, he has the talent, but from everything we have seen, he doesn't have the desire to do all the other stuff to be a legitimate starter in this league. Maybe he'll mature and wake up and start putting in the work, maybe he wont, but the jets shouldn't be the team to find out.

I don't disagree.  But if you're going to fill the OL depth with JAG talent anyway, why not pay similar money to Becton?  Maybe another year of maturity and humility turns him into something.  There's no doubt in my mind his upside is higher than the Billy Turners of the world.

Seems he still thinks there is a market for him to land a starting role or at least a deal where he's seriously competing for the starting job. Until his mindset changes, he's not likely to sign any backup contracts. My guess here is that he's still unemployed through the draft and accepts his fate during the summer when some team needs another body at tackle. I wouldn't be hateful if the team picks him up on a backup contract but I'm not losing sleep if he goes off to another team.

3 hours ago, Viermoo said:

Clearly there’s not a team out there willing to break the bank for Becton. This should make him realize that he should be happy to get a job anywhere and not make demands as to where he should play.

We need depth on the OL and he could be had for cheap. He is still young and was healthy last year. Give him a two year contract with a team option at low money.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Do you trust him to protect Rodgers?  I DON'T!!!!!  Let someone else sign the Turnstile.

40 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree fully with the change in blocking scheme. I like the outside zone blocking scheme when it works, but... What they have on the roster is better suited to a more aggressive man blocking scheme with less motion.  And we all know Rodgers does not like motion.  Along with the players you mentioned, Wess Schweitzer also looked like a real power-gap mauler when he was in there.  He is a gritty player.  I think he may even wind up as a starter eventually. 

It does look like Becton might have a problem getting set and fixed on the inside, but we never saw him try. You never know.  Like I mentioned above.  An onlooker would never have envisioned Robert Gallery or Manderich on the inside, but that is where they played decent football. 

It will be interesting to see if the Jets or perhaps his next team gives it a try. 

Connor Rogers @ConnorJRogers
Mar 12
Jets run game was zone heavy last year

Adding Simpson to the OL is only one move, but their next few personnel decisions could give us some hints of transition to more of a gap scheme approach (or just balance overall)

Mar 13
(Morgan Moses in the fold further hints at this)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Connor Rogers @ConnorJRogers
Mar 12
Jets run game was zone heavy last year

Adding Simpson to the OL is only one move, but their next few personnel decisions could give us some hints of transition to more of a gap scheme approach (or just balance overall)

Mar 13
(Morgan Moses in the fold further hints at this)

I think Rodgers is the key to understanding this. He does not like motion on the line. That is his game.  It's his offense.  They are going to run a blocking scheme that Rodgers likes.  

• Upvote 1

Guys like Becton, Zach and even Corey Davis are now in limbo and teams wait to see how a draft rich in OTs, QBs and WRs shake out.  

From Team’s perspectives, including the Jets, they know that guys like these three, and many others, are not necessarily better or more useful than someone they can draft.  

They will get shots on teams that did not draft their positions.  

But I also agree that the Jets will not be bring back at least Becton or Zach Wilson for cultural reasons. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You need to oust both Becton and Zach because both guys cost Saleh untold political capital in the locker room. Letting Becton saunter around weighing 400+, then (Saleh) begging him to come into camp to start the next season, then letting him malinger with injuries, showed other players that Saleh was a weak fish. With Wilson, the team knew that Saleh was too weak to bench him even as he was costing the team seasons. You need to get them out of the org because they serve as living reminders that the coach can be pimp-slapped and won’t do anything about it

Fantastic point Tom.

Even if we don’t save any of Zach’s salary via a trade he needs to go.

Addition by subtraction culture change is needed. Lazard might be added to the list too if he doesn’t get it together. 

• Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I honestly don't think you can sign Bakhtiari anywhere close to being cheap.  If that is the case, then I 100% agree with you.  

You reckon so? I'm not sure I agree. Bakhtiari has already made a career's worth of money. With the health problems he's had, NO team is going to hand him significant guaranteed money. If he's very lucky, he could get an incentive based deal like Tyron Smith did, but probably with a lower initial and total earnings.

I suspect Bakhtiari has only not retired because he is either awaiting a unicorn contract offer or hoping to win a ring on his way out. I think the Jets could easily get him on a cheap contract if the latter is the case - I think all parties are just waiting until after free agency and the draft. If the Jets don't end up with a tackle in round 1 I bet Bakhtiari is signed by June.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Or we could clear our minds of that fat pussy for good and bring in a Josh Jones or Bakhtiari instead.

Why do people want this guy back?

He couldn’t even get on the field for two years and when he finally does, he commits more penalties and gives up more sacks than anyone in the league. What’s the appeal here?

His ceiling.  That's the appeal.

And the hope that spending two years rehabbing vs playing footballl contributed to his terrible play last season.

Could a full offseason of being able to do more football activities get him trending upwards as he was after year 1?

If it's for a few pennies because there's no market I'd do it.

All of that being said, I think his pre-season piece in which he blamed the team for his injury makes all of this moot.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You need to oust both Becton and Zach because both guys cost Saleh untold political capital in the locker room. Letting Becton saunter around weighing 400+, then (Saleh) begging him to come into camp to start the next season, then letting him malinger with injuries, showed other players that Saleh was a weak fish. With Wilson, the team knew that Saleh was too weak to bench him even as he was costing the team seasons. You need to get them out of the org because they serve as living reminders that the coach can be pimp-slapped and won’t do anything about it

I don't think letting Becton walk is going to make anyone suddenly believe Saleh isn't a doormat.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AFJF said:

I don't think letting Becton walk is going to make anyone suddenly believe Saleh isn't a doormat.

Fair, but I think it gives Saleh a chance to reset a little bit and take, at least, a nominally tougher stance with the younger talent on the team. Many young coaches take jobs and aren’t prepared to deal with dissent, or players who don’t buy into the rah rah nonsense. But I think that can be learned, even if it means exorcising the campus of the players who exploited that weakness. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Comes down to price right?

For really cheap? Sure why not. If he wants any kind of deal worth a darn. No thank you.

Not even for the minimum.  We don't need him to get our QBs injured.

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

That’s what my wife screamed last night …………. when watching a burly guy chopping wood on TikTok (it’s a thing).

Speaking of chopping wood.  I had a large branch off of a 200 + year old American Oak come down in my yard during a wind storm we had a couple of weeks back.  I didn't feel like getting the chainsaw out and fueled up, so I gave it a try with an axe.  In fifteen minutes time, I put the axe down and started mixing the fuel for the chainsaw.  I really don't know how those professional loggers do it.  Makes me wonder how people got along before there were power tools.  Building entire houses out of logs with axes and hand saws.  Different kind of men and women back then. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

I don't disagree.  But if you're going to fill the OL depth with JAG talent anyway, why not pay similar money to Becton?  Maybe another year of maturity and humility turns him into something.  There's no doubt in my mind his upside is higher than the Billy Turners of the world.

Because this franchise invested a lot into him and he didn’t put in the work. He made people look bad. He hasn’t been a professional to this point. Would be hard to trust / want to work with someone like that.

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Speaking of chopping wood.  I had a large branch off of a 200 + year old American Oak come down in my yard during a wind storm we had a couple of weeks back.  I didn't feel like getting the chainsaw out and fueled up, so I gave it a try with an axe.  In fifteen minutes time, I put the axe down and started mixing the fuel for the chainsaw.  I really don't know how those professional loggers do it.  Makes me wonder how people got along before there were power tools.  Building entire houses out of logs with axes and hand saws.  Different kind of men and women back then. 

If it happens again, rub some oil on your chest and send my wife the video.  It might get her so worked up that I benefit :)

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Yeah same here. I'll believe he's available for "cheap" when I see it. Particularly to a team playing on turf - which he's recently vocalized that he hates - who already has its starting LT entrenched. 

He may as well sit on the sideline until a starting job materializes due to injury, and then collect starter money (if lower-end starter money for a LT, like the Jets paid Duane Brown). 

The idea that he'll sign a cheap ($4MM or less) deal to be a backup/swing tackle in March? I'll believe that when I see it.