Is it time to bring Becton back?

The only way the Jets should re-sign Becton is to a minimum contract with incentives (play time, penalties, sacks allowed). But, I imagine other teams will probably be willing to offer him that. Regardless, if this is not Becton's come to jesus moment, he will never have one.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, JetsFlyer said:

he signed with cincy   bu bye

Where are you seeing that?  i do not see anything online.  I am hoping he will sign somewhere to help with our comp pick calculation for next season.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:26 AM, slats said:

Becton is probably at the one year, prove it deal point. I can’t see the money being too rich. I know I’m in the minority, but I’d have no problem with him back to compete for the RT spot and/or as the swing tackle. That would probably remove OT from first round consideration this year, and I wouldn’t mind that either. 

Good idea. Like what? 2 year at 8M per? Tnrow in some incentives and to appease @Integrity28, have Becton delete his twitter account OR NO DEAL!  Something like this could also lessen the blow of taking a tackle at or WR at 10 and allow us to trade back to get an extra 2nd.  Take a WR in round 1, an OL in round 2, a safety in round 3. 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:21 AM, Viermoo said:

Clearly there’s not a team out there willing to break the bank for Becton. This should make him realize that he should be happy to get a job anywhere and not make demands as to where he should play.

We need depth on the OL and he could be had for cheap. He is still young and was healthy last year. Give him a two year contract with a team option at low money.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sure, between Smith and Becton, we might get a full season at LT

Becton hates Saleh

Saleh hates becton 

side note: of all the things that Saleh gets criticized for, something that’s always bothered me is how awful his relationship is with JDs first two 1st round picks.  That’s not normal lol 

7 hours ago, BP said:

He visited them. He’s still available. Nobody has signed him yet. I just looked. 

lol you are correct  that msn guy fits right in 

Mekhi Becton now a former Jet, signs with Bengals

Story by Billy Riccette msn

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Becton hates Saleh

Saleh hates becton 

side note: of all the things that Saleh gets criticized for, something that’s always bothered me is how awful his relationship is with JDs first two 1st round picks.  That’s not normal lol 

One is an immature and lazy fat f*ck. The other is pampered, entitled, and lets his mother fight his battles. 

So hard to see why Saleh hates them....

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

One is an immature and lazy fat f*ck. The other is pampered, entitled, and lets his mother fight his battles. 

So hard to see why Saleh hates them....

Mature outlook lol 

With becton it was about his knee injury when he told the coaches that his knee was bothering him and they told him to keep going and he injured it again and the Jets didn’t acknowledge it. Only Duke was acknowledging it.  They completely alienated an expensive asset. 

With Wilson it was about being deactivated . That’s total humiliation.  It would have made more sense to cut him if they were that unhappy with him. 

letting expensive assets twist in the wind is really poor business and leadership. Head coach has to do better. 

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Mature outlook lol 

With becton it was about his knee injury when he told the coaches that his knee was bothering him and they told him to keep going and he injured it again and the Jets didn’t acknowledge it. Only Duke was acknowledging it.  They completely alienated an expensive asset. 

With Wilson it was about being deactivated . That’s total humiliation.  It would have made more sense to cut him if they were that unhappy with him. 

letting expensive assets twist in the wind is really poor business and leadership. Head coach has to do better. 

Becton is dog sh*t there's also that. If they sign him to to min to be a swing backup tacklet so be it but if he's starting we're screwed.

9 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Becton is dog sh*t there's also that. If they sign him to to min to be a swing backup tacklet so be it but if he's starting we're screwed.

He was rated around top 5 available free agent tackles. Something as simple as Rodgers telling him that he loved him seemed to make a difference. 

Parcells understood motivation and leadership. He understood that there were guys that needed the needle, others it was the stroke, others just needed to be left alone. 

Saleh had one gear , tough love, until he saw the impact Rodgers was having by being positive. 

these tough guy takes are pretty lame. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

He was rated around top 5 available free agent tackles. Something as simple as Rodgers telling him that he loved him seemed to make a difference. 

Parcells understood motivation and leadership. He understood that there were guys that needed the needle, others it was the stroke, others just needed to be left alone. 

Saleh had one gear , tough love, until he saw the impact Rodgers was having by being positive. 

I disagree;

Parcells was much harsher on players than Saleh, and Becton has seemingly responded to nothing - not tough love, not the embrace of Rodgers nor his own contract year/future.

He gave up 12 sacks last year and simply did not play well.

He's Vern Gholston; a dude with amazing potential that doesn't really care about playing football. Wish him the best in life, but we don't need players like that. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I disagree;

Parcells was much harsher on players than Saleh, and Becton has seemingly responded to nothing - not tough love, not the embrace of Rodgers nor his own contract year/future.

He's Vern Gholston; a dude with amazing potential that doesn't really care about playing football. Wish him the best in life, but we don't need players like that. 

A Parcellsesque type HC in today's culture is generally rejected by this generation of players a lot more than 25 years ago. The culture has changed, even though we don't like it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

A Parcellsesque type HC in today's culture is generally rejected by this generation of players a lot more than 25 years ago. The culture has changed, even though we don't like it.

Agree on the culture change - not sure what to think about it though, tbh.

I'd rather play for someone positive, direct but not insulting, and supportive - I guess I'd call that the best of the modern way?

But I understand there are people that require the Parcells style to reach their best, and those people slip through the cracks these days. 

• Upvote 1

Agree on the culture change - not sure what to think about it though, tbh.
I'd rather play for someone positive, direct but not insulting, and supportive - I guess I'd call that the best of the modern way?
But I understand there are people that require the Parcells style to reach their best, and those people slip through the cracks these days. 
Direct, honest, uncompromising, and instructional with clear expectations and demanding accountability.

You don't need to be demeaning to instill a positive but fearful atmosphere of fierce competition. This is a business , improve and produce results or be gone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I disagree;

Parcells let LT do whatever he wanted.  He never disciplined LT.  
While being notoriously hard on others like Simms and CuMar

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Parcells let LT do whatever he wanted.  He never disciplined LT.  
While being notoriously hard on others like Simms and CuMar

Read that about the LT/Parcells relationship as well. Guess he was the lone exception. I don't like it but I can understand it. LT might be the best football player ever.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Mature outlook lol 

Becton's trouble with the coaching staff began before the injury. He was getting butt hurt because LaFleur said he needed to play better during the 2021 camp, despite constantly getting dominated by Lawson and Huff. The constant fighting with Twitter trolls, showing up to camp in a "Big Bust"  shirt while overweight, all showed how easily people could get to him. He's weak minded and would have eventually failed no matter who the coach was

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Read that about the LT/Parcells relationship as well. Guess he was the lone exception. I don't like it but I can understand it. LT might be the best football player ever.

I could have brought up Namath and countless others who aren’t treated the same as others on the team.  Do we think Brady was treated like others on the Pats?  
It’s the way the world runs

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I could have brought up Namath and countless others who aren’t treated the same as others on the team.  Do we think Brady was treated like others on the Pats?  
It’s the way the world runs

Yep, often HOF'ers/legends are treated differently.

But since we're talking about Mekhi Becton, it's not super applicable here. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Mature outlook lol 

Actually I'd say it's quite mature. I'm sorry you see it differently.

11 hours ago, Larz said:

I think it was more about him showing up fat and out of shape in 2022, especially after Saleh handed him back the LT job despite George Fant's phenomenal 2021 season in his stead. He made Saleh look like a fool.

11 hours ago, Larz said:

They gave Zach the ultimate vote of confidence by not bringing in a viable veteran to back him up after Rodgers got hurt. Zach repaid the favor by sinking the season (again). Despite that, Saleh kept him in there way longer than he should have. By the time he finally got around to benching Zach, he didn't owe him anything. Everyone knew Zach was done here by that point. 

On 3/22/2024 at 9:03 AM, The Crusher said:

Players in the NFL are suppose to get better. He peaked his rookie year. You can choose to say it was because of the injury but Breece Hall was also injured. Yeah, so hard pass on Becton for me. Kid simply isn’t wired for the game, 

Different positions, body type, new OL coach but yeah.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:00 AM, Larz said:

What tough guy takes? Dude just isn't very good. 

This coming draft is very good for the OT position. Guys like Becton will likely have to wait to see what openings exist once the draft is over and done and take whatever option comes along. One year prove-it deal, that kind of thing.

If anyone saw him as a probable starter he'd have been signed by now.

15 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This coming draft is very good for the OT position. Guys like Becton will likely have to wait to see what openings exist once the draft is over and done and take whatever option comes along. One year prove-it deal, that kind of thing.

If anyone saw him as a probable starter he'd have been signed by now.

His rookie year, I was convinced we found our Jonathan Ogden. He was awesome. 

• Sympathy 1

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Saints are preparing for the real possibility that OT Ryan Ramczyk is medically not able to play this season, sources say. Coach Dennis Allen alluded to Ramczyk’s knee not responding as they hoped, and it’s unclear when or if it will. A true question mark.