Is it time to bring Becton back?

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Or we could clear our minds of that fat pussy for good and bring in a Josh Jones or Bakhtiari instead.

Why do people want this guy back?

He couldn’t even get on the field for two years and when he finally does, he commits more penalties and gives up more sacks than anyone in the league. What’s the appeal here?

We saw talent in his rookie year. I'd be okay with seeing how he plays with Rodgers under center.  

• Upvote 4

I think Rodgers took a special interest in him because he knew he would be the guy protecting his blindside. Now that he's been replaced I don't think Rodgers cares that much about him. Adios Señior Becton, aka Captain Munch!

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Or we could clear our minds of that fat pussy for good and bring in a Josh Jones or Bakhtiari instead.

He couldn’t even get on the field for two years and when he finally does, he commits more penalties and gives up more sacks than anyone in the league. What’s the appeal here?

Josh Jones signed with Houston this week

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Josh Jones signed w/Baltimore

1 yr deal I'd do it. Last season was his first game action in 2 seasons..Also played w/bum ankle late in the season. He's a depth piece.

I don't hate it on a one year deal.  I guess it comes down to whether you prefer Becton or Max Mitchell as the backup RT.  Becton can swing to LT as well and I'm not sure if Mitchell is ever going to be good enough to warrant his spot.  Maybe...

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't hate it on a one year deal.  I guess it comes down to whether you prefer Becton or Max Mitchell as the backup RT.  Becton can swing to LT as well and I'm not sure if Mitchell is ever going to be good enough to warrant his spot.  Maybe...

I've been wondering if Mitchell might be better tried as an OG.

• Upvote 3

Players in the NFL are suppose to get better. He peaked his rookie year. You can choose to say it was because of the injury but Breece Hall was also injured. Yeah, so hard pass on Becton for me. Kid simply isn’t wired for the game, 

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

Clearly there’s not a team out there willing to break the bank for Becton. This should make him realize that he should be happy to get a job anywhere and not make demands as to where he should play.

We need depth on the OL and he could be had for cheap. He is still young and was healthy last year. Give him a two year contract with a team option at low money.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Probably best that we just move on. We know the guy doesn't take his job seriously. The only time he really came into camp in shape was in his contract year. Had he been in shape the entire time, there is a really good chance he wouldn't have been on the IR nearly as frequently as he was and he'd probably be a good player. The pick didn't work out, let someone else deal with him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

I've been wondering if Mitchell might be better tried as an OG.

Mitchell looked pretty bad at Guard when they tried plugging him in there last season.

He still seems under-powered, and I think it got worse after his illness as a rookie. He looked better at Tackle as a rookie, pre-illness, than he has at any time since.  It's a shame.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Viermoo said:

Clearly there’s not a team out there willing to break the bank for Becton. This should make him realize that he should be happy to get a job anywhere and not make demands as to where he should play.

We need depth on the OL and he could be had for cheap. He is still young and was healthy last year. Give him a two year contract with a team option at low money.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Forgetting about the optics of the situation, consider his skills.

Watching him at LT last year, to my eyes, it looked like he had clear *physical* problems contending with outside pass rushers.  That is pretty much the most important thing a LT has to do.  Becton could not physically do it.  It is not his technique work ethic.  He no longer has the lateral quickness to do the job.  If you keep him as a depth piece, it is still potentially disastrous.  One whiffed block is all it takes to end a season for the QB and the team.  I would only be in-line with keeping him if it became an experiment on trying him on the inside,  A few times I mentioned two major busts at the LT spot.  Robert Gallery and the infamous Tony Maderich.  Both of them were supposed to be the next HOF LT.  Both were built like LT's.  Long and powerful like Becton. Neither of them had the feet for it.  Manderich also had other issues, but his primary problem was physical limitations below the waist,  Both Manderich and Gallery were moved inside and both wound up being marginal contributors.

Becton is super long like a LT, but so was Gallery.  To look at them both, you would never think that they should be in the inside.  Regardless, I think Becton's best chance to stay on a roster is to transition to OG.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4

As a depth swing tackle, sure.  Rodgers likes him and obviously sees something in him.  I think Becton got the short end of the stick last year, tbh.  Coming off of 2 years of rust, playing at a new weight, and then getting bounced around the lineup from the start of TC to like week 3.  I wouldn't be surprised if he settles in as at least a decent backup, which is all we'd need him to be.  I can't see it being longer than one year, and if the money is right - why not?  In theory he never even has to play if Warren takes that next step.  He'd strictly be insurance. 

If the choices are Becton for a year or blowing our top-10 pick on a depth tackle, I'll choose Becton 100% of the time. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone is forgetting that he blamed the team and coaching staff for virtually all of his injuries.    

I seriously doubt they let him back in the building.  He'd have to crawl on his hands and what remains of his knees to apologize.

Christ...  forget this guy already.  Let another team manage his immaturity and lack of self awareness.  Not to mention his high probability of ending up injured again.  LOL. No.

• Upvote 1

for us i guess if he would agree to be a backup. but he wont. he wants to start.

someone mentioned in another thread how the Pats have no LT and thought they might draft one. that might be a good place for him on a 1 year prove it contract. cause they have to pick a QB.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

We saw talent in his rookie year. I'd be okay with seeing how he plays with Rodgers under center.  

Sam Darnold was still the Jets QB the last time Becton showed any promise.

Who cares about 4 years ago?

The dude has screwed up his knee twice and looked like trash since then.

Close the book on him and move on

• Post of the Week 1

I think he burned too many bridges with the coaching staff. I doubt either side wants a reunion. He'll sign a one year prove it deal with some random team, get injured, and will fail to make it out of training camp in 2025.

Whatever we saw flashes of in 2020 wilted with the injures/missed time and attitude issues. He wasn't good last year and I don't sense he has the mental makeup to take responsibility or improve in the ways he needs to.

• Upvote 2

The only "commendable" thing anyone has been able to say about him since his rookie season was that....in a contract year....he was to get into playing shape enough to be available....not even play well....just enough to be available.

Who wants a guy like that on the team?