AFC QB Rankings - If Healthy, Where Does Aaron Rodgers Fit In The List?

I’m going to assume Rogers plays at the level of his last year in Gb.

If so he, would be around 6th or 7th.  Mahomes/Burrows/Herbert/Allen/Lamar are better than he is at this stage in his career.  Stroud and Lawrence aren’t yet, but Stroud will be soon (possibly this year at some point).

Watson could have a comeback year, in which case he would also be above (his best year in Texas was better than Rogers last).  

Overall, thats more than good enough to get us deep into the playoffs given the team we have (I continue to think we would have been an early exit playoff team last year as well)

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

For various reasons, I'd prefer to be going into 2024 with:

1. Mahomes
2. Herbert
3. Burrows
4. Jackson
5. Tagovailoa
6. Allen
7. Stroud
8. Any of the 2024 Draft Pick QB's, Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix.

I am not of the belief that Rodgers will win anything meaningful in NY.  A "save the gM" long-shot trade, an all-in that has (and IMO likely will) fail to deliver the goods.

So the QB list above reflects current AFC stars I'd rather have (Mahomes et al.) as well as young QB's with what would appear or potentially could be long futures ahead of them of high level play.

We're in purgatory at QB.  Tied to Rodgers for likely as long as his ego demands he play, for better or worse.

But in fairness, when it comes to the Jets, extreme cynicism is my default setting, so nothing new here.

1-7 I couldn’t agree more. 8? Might as read Zach Wilson, Zach Wilson, Zach Wilson. Because if Douglas picks a QB that’s the one we are getting. 

Rodgers is a strange case because he's the last of the "old breed" of QBs
(Brady, Manning & Brees):

Negatives

- Since Rodgers is 40 he's not as fast/athletic as the others
- His age makes him susceptible to injury

Positives

- His 20 years of experience makes him smarter than the others
- His arm talent is as good or better than anyone
- He's the on field OC which allows him to control/change the offense.
  The others basically are "robots" running what was phoned in from the
  sidelines

If the revamped OLine does their job there's no reason he won't be top
2-3 in the conference

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Another horse sh*t topic aimed at defending Slappy Wilson.
I know where he would be ranked. Last.
I had to reread the OP three times to confirm that Wilson's name was never mentioned nor alluded to. What did you see that set you off? Tuscany's avatar ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Hael said:

I’m going to assume Rogers plays at the level of his last year in Gb.

If so he, would be around 6th or 7th.  Mahomes/Burrows/Herbert/Allen/Lamar are better than he is at this stage in his career.  Stroud and Lawrence aren’t yet, but Stroud will be soon (possibly this year at some point).

Watson could have a comeback year, in which case he would also be above (his best year in Texas was better than Rogers last).  

Overall, thats more than good enough to get us deep into the playoffs given the team we have (I continue to think we would have been an early exit playoff team last year as well)

we won like 7 games last year, think with a healthy rodgers and even a slightly better OL we would have won the WC round (in my opinion)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

we won like 7 games last year, think with a healthy rodgers and even a slightly better OL we would have won the WC round (in my opinion)

"We woulda, shoulda, coulda been (insert great team thing here) if only (insert one of many failed players/units/coaches) and (insert another failed played/unit) and (yup, same) had only been (better/healthier/smarter/etc.)"

Well yeah, if our many abject failures hadn't happened, we might have been better.  :-k

And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.  If my aunt had balls, she's be my uncle.  

Lawrence sucks.

The big challengers in the AFC not on this list is the Steelers.  They won 10 games w/ arguably worse QB'ing then the NY Jets had and they just traded for a dynamo-superstar who is more than likely going to lead them to a Super Bowl or 2 in the next 5 years and as predicted is better than Lawrence. 

• Haha 2

If Rodgers picks up where he left off and gets at least average protection, he is as good a passer as anyone.  I would still give Mahomes the clear edge for mobility but Rodgers in his prime (which was as recently as two years ago) is as good or better than anyone else.  

Now I have no idea what we will actually get after a year off, but there's reason to be optimistic if he looks sharp in TC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Rodgers picks up where he left off and gets at least average protection, he is as good a passer as anyone.  I would still give Mahomes the clear edge for mobility but Rodgers in his prime (which was as recently as two years ago) is as good or better than anyone else.  

Now I have no idea what we will actually get after a year off, but there's reason to be optimistic if he looks sharp in TC.

Left off?  Where he left off was being a middle of the pack at best QB his last year in green bay.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Left off?  Where he left off was being a middle of the pack at best QB his last year in green bay.

You mean when he played with a broken thumb in his throwing hand and had rookie Christian Watson as his #1 WR?

Have you ever tried throwing a football with a broken thumb?

When he was healthy the previous 2 years with Davante Adams to throw to he was league MVP. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You mean when he played with a broken thumb in his throwing hand and had rookie Christian Watson as his #1 WR?

this tired excuse might be true it's also a sign that old people break their thumbs and tear their achillies at a higher rate than young guys

what is the realistic chance of Aaron Rodgers playing a full season? Like 50% maybe? 

where would Vegas set the over under? around 11.5 and take all the Jets fans money when he plays 8 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this tired excuse might be true it's also a sign that old people break their thumbs and tear their achillies at a higher rate than young guys

what is the realistic chance of Aaron Rodgers playing a full season? Like 50% maybe? 

where would Vegas set the over under? around 11.5 and take all the Jets fans money when he plays 8 

His ability to stay healthy is a legit concern. The premise of the thread is in fact "if Rodgers stays healthy".

So that's not relevant to my response.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

His ability to stay healthy is a legit concern. The premise of the thread is in fact "if Rodgers stays healthy"

why even live in that fantasy world? 

if my grandmother had wheels she would have been a bike 

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

..................we'll continue to be bombarded with empty speculation from those who think he's Dorian Grey and those who think he's at the brink of dementia. Not one person here knows what Rodgers can or cannot do. None. 

Oscar Wilde references might be a little much for this crowd.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The people who think Aaron is still elite are tripping balls 

He's a baker Mayfield at this point, top 20 in the league if we're lucky 

I’d sign for Baker’s production from last season. That would be the best NYJ QB season we’ve had since Fitz in 2015. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I find it funny how many lists leave Tua, one of the best passers in the NFL the past two years, off the lists completely. 

Talk about over-looking an opponent.

Because everyone knows he's a fraud who isn't a real threat in big games against tough teams. He's a very efficient and accurate thrower who who has an injury history and who always chokes and stinks against good defenses, in tough weather, in the playoffs etc.

He's this generations Chad Pennington.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’d sign for Baker’s production from last season. That would be the best NYJ QB season we’ve had since Fitz in 2015. 

I would too but saying he's better than burrow? And Lamar? Ridiculous 

• Upvote 1

I'm torn between who's 1 and 2 with Rodgers or Allen when healthy.

Tua is 3rd for me and whoever is NEQB will be 4th.

Rodgers I do think will have the better season. That's a lot to do with that we just IMO have a better roster on offense than BUF does. Allen's running ability closes that gap though and make it where it's hard to really for sure put one at 1 or 2.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When he was healthy the previous 2 years with Davante Adams to throw to he was league MVP. 

Jordan love had about the same crop of young unproven wrs and did far better this year.

Broken thumb, achilles but no worries about a 40 year old qb breaking down.

As I've said repeatedly, what aaron rodgers did 3 years ago is totally 100% irrelevant.

40 years old, a full year off football, back to back injured seasons, his last full season was mediocre but of course he is the only qb to have and injury as an excuse.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Truth is, no one really knows. Until Rodgers steps on the field and demonstrates where he's at, we'll continue to be bombarded with empty speculation from those who think he's Dorian Grey and those who think he's at the brink of dementia. Not one person here knows what Rodgers can or cannot do. None. 

Bingo. 

Do we get 93/94 Montana in KC? 2020 Brady in Tampa? 77 Namath in LA? Something in between?